jimmer

Dennis Dodd Grades New Coaching Hires: Mario Over Lanning?

I nearly spit my coffee out when I read this. The New Mexico State hire is better than Lanning?

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel Grades: Lincoln Riley an 'A+' with Brent Venables an 'A-' Replacement by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports

graphic-lrgrades.png

On 1/6/2022 at 7:23 AM, jimmer said:

Lanning is a new HC so no matter what I don't think anyone and especially sports media writers. Honestly what do they know anyways. Riley number 1 who never ever even competed in the Natty as his teams seemed to always get spanked. Cristabol who's lines he said would dominate. Did he watch Mario's bread and butter and his awful coaching when games were important. I give Lanning a A and who went with Mario on his coaching staff? Pretty much Minnie Me which who cares the guy wouldn't be hired by anyone.

I'm pretty sure most his coach's didn't like him. Tosh chose Lanning over Mario and that's an A+ in my book. Honestly don't let these guy's make your day because they wont. Oregon is back to getting no respect and rightfully so because the ending of this season was horrible. The Alamo bowl shouldn't have concerned Oregon and it was a waste of money to take it. McClendon said they would compete and in all honesty being down at halftime 30 -3 is not competing. Whatever they did in the second half as who cares they got smoked. 57 players was not enough.

Remember CBS which Dodd works for is all SEC based so your never gonna get anybody saying much good about Oregon. To me Lanning is a home run hire and if Georgia beats BAMA and I'm sure the majority of the country would also like to see that is only going to benefit Oregon in the long run. Go Ducks, Just Do It!

• Thumbs Up 2

Dennis Dood and Pac-12 football reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's, 'East is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet.'

Lanning's history isn't the only thing to take in consideration.

As has been stated, take a look at his supporting cast, compared to any of those coaches, Lanning A+.

Now look at the history of Oregon head coach hires against any of the programs listed, Lanning A+.

I agree nobody knows how any of these coaches will do, but if I was betting, I would take Lanning over any of these guys. 

My take, this prediction will be even worse than a preseason poll of where teams will finish. It is interesting sc, Florida, LSU and Oklahoma top the poll, much like a preseason prediction. I'm just surprised Notre Dame and Washington aren't higher, as traditionally is the case.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lanning's history isn't the only thing to take in consideration.

As has been stated, take a look at his supporting cast, compared to any of those coaches, Lanning A+.

Now look at the history of Oregon head coach hires against any of the programs listed, Lanning A+.

I agree nobody knows how any of these coaches will do, but if I was betting, I would take Lanning over any of these guys. 

My take, this prediction will be even worse than a preseason poll of where teams will finish. It is interesting sc, Florida, LSU and Oklahoma top the poll, much like a preseason prediction. I'm just surprised Notre Dame and Washington aren't higher, as traditionally is the case.

Great take. I will not be surprised if Utah on the road is favored to win the game in The Swamp.

Rob Mullens, if Utah can get a H+H series with Florida, CAL with Auburn, UCLA with LSU, Arizona with Alabama, why are the Ducks playing UGA in a 1 off game in Atlanta; the same year Oregon plays BYU OOC and plays 5 conference road games?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who cares what Dennis Dudd thinks.

• Thumbs Up 3

These grades are ridiculous because it's almost impossible to predict how any of these coaches will do in their new jobs. Lanning is graded down because he is young and unproven as a head coach. Lanning is a coach on a team that has a chance to be a national champion, which is something none of the A graded coaches can say.

To accurately grade these guys, a key data point would be to include the quality of assistants each coach has hired which it doesn't appear has been done. I really like what Lanning has done on that front. Only time will tell us which of these hires was good and which ones were not. 

Perhaps Mario is an A hire and Lanning is a B. I guess we will find out. One thing I do know, however, I'm a lot more excited about next season than I would have been if Mario were still head coach. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, latracey said:

One thing I do know, however, I'm a lot more excited about next season than I would have been if Mario were still head coach. 

Great perspective. What does an A+ mean?  Does Dodd believe that Riley is getting USC to the CFP? He definitely has USC fans excited, as Lanning has Oregon's, and Lanning gets a B. Tedford got an A at Fresno State, 

Okay, I’ll play devil’s advocate on this one, and say that the Dood dudes are not necessarily anti-Lanning, but being fence sitters; hedging their bets on a guy who is obviously a comer, but has yet to sit in the hot seat. I think it’s more of a wait and see attitude than a judgment on his abilities.

But, I also think everyone who has suggested it is spot-on that the top drawer assistants drawn to the program demonstrate a trust in Lanning’s leadership prowess (thanks Jimmy, you left us with a wonderful word), and that alone moves the needle into the ‘A’ bracket after everything is added up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time will tell. Time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, WiseKwacker said:

Time will tell. Time will tell.

That's what the Zen Master said. Good advice.

Guest Axel

Dennis Dodd isn't a West Coast guy--he's from the Midwest, so my guess is that he watched very little Oregon football this year. He doesn't see that Mario may be a recruiting stud, but as a coach he's mostly a dud.

Miami way overpaid for Cristobal, I give that hire a C-. I think cows will sprout wings and fly before Cristobal wins a national championship. On the other hand, I give the Dan Lanning hire an A. He's young, he's smart, he's hungry, and he's enthusiastic. I for one am ecstatic that Cristobal ditched. He won't be missed. 

I'm still trying to understand why anybody believes DD and his grades? Pure Click Bate. Reminds me of all the pundits saying Justin Herbert wouldn't pan out in the NFL because he's never taken a snap under center. 

WhaaaaaaAaaaaaat?!!!!!

So apparently we all agree with Coach Beamer when it comes to a DD take.    

• Thumbs Up 1

Not too surprising... Miami is an old school blue blood and Cristobal is a hot commodity from his last few years of recruiting at Oregon and "turning around a downtrodden program". 

Cristobal when promoted to ahC at Oregon was only considered like a B and a lazy hire for Oregon at the time. 

Miami is also east coast which helps boost their appeal. USC is well... USC so of course they get a big grade for the Riley hire because they needed to go major splash. 

As for Oregon... We are an interesting backwater program out west. We have some flash and are sometimes interesting but we aren't seen as much. We hire a up and coming DC as a first time head coach.. it's seen as an inability to hire anyone of substance. 

Right now this is a beauty contest. These grades really don't matter... The grades that matter from pundits (it any really do) are the ones in a year or two from now where they grade how good the hire actually was... I think Oregon scores a big win at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:11 PM, David Marsh said:

Right now this is a beauty contest. These grades really don't matter...

Now that is spot-on analysis....thanks David.

Mr. FishDuck

Remember what the talking heads were saying about Justin Herbert before the draft two years ago????

Were they right???

Time will tell... all about DL.

• Thumbs Up 2

This guy took the wrong approach in writing this article. The big X-factor he left out was the university’s ability to allow these coaches to succeed. That would’ve bumped Venebles up to an A and dropped Napier and Cristobal down to a B or C. I don’t think it would change Lanning’s grade because he’s unproven as a HC so far.

I think Oregon fans have a different perspective on this than a lot of people. East Coast folks (I have been living on the east coast and mid west) just see Oregon winning a bunch of games under MC. Oregon fans see his upside of being a great recruiter and relating so well with his players, but we have also seen his down sides of not so exciting, unimaginative offense, mediocre game prep, and sometimes poor in game management.

Lanning is in some respects an unknown. He hasn't been a head coach. Oregon is a big stage for a new head coach, so there are questions. I had them myself, but he has come in and changed the culture before he's even moved in, hit homerun after homerun in hiring a staff and shown he speaks the right words, but also listens. So, I understand someone not rating this an A+ hire, but let's see what they are saying in two years. I think this will prove to be one of, if not the, best hire this year or over many years.

Riley imo is overrated. Sure he's developed a few qb's but his bowl record is 1&3. Sooners have never won a football playoff game either.

USC has way over paid for a gut that hasn't delivered.