30Duck

Caleb Williams Gets a Million Dollar Offer

This is beyond blatant and terrible...the descent of CFB is right in front of our eyes.

I intend to enjoy cheering Our Beloved Ducks for as long as I can, while I can still recognize CFB.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Soon College Football will turn into semi pro and leave the colleges or just plain die.  For many of the people benefiting from scholarships that aren't 5 stars their chance at a free college education is falling into the pit.  The players thought they opened a treasure box and instead opened Pandora's box.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

To me its just sad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pay for play for players. I think they should then pull scholarships, they can pay their own way like every other student. I am not a fan of the NIL. I think this is a disaster, that will only get worse as time goes on. 

• Thumbs Up 3

As opposed to a "new sheriff in town", there are no sheriffs in town.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, with all the recent discussions about players opting out of "meaningless" (to them, maybe) games, I think it's only a matter of time before schools/wealthy donors begin paying players on a per-game-basis to "opt in."

Hasn’t get-paid-to-play-here always existed?

Why is it a problem now that it is out in the open and players can negotiate freely?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is beyond blatant and terrible...the descent of CFB is right in front of our eyes.

I intend to enjoy cheering Our Beloved Ducks for as long as I can, while I can still recognize CFB.

OK we've all complained about the degrading game we used to love so much. So are we going to jump on the band wagon or not? If Phil has to pay to get it done then so be it and like is slogan for Nike say's " Just Do It " and you may have all noticed I've been writing that in all my post's. I mean these off seasons are just getting to hard so if this is how they want it someone please get an interview with Phil and ask him the tough questions because I'm really interested in if he's 100% on board. Because if he's not then I'm done because I've got better things to do than this.

Its what the world has come to and it's gonna be done here real soon anyways. The system of things cannot go on much longer with what we see unfolding in front of our eye's and I'm not just talking Football which is not competitive nation wide. Its the rich that get what they want and that's all gonna be going away soon enough. Anyways it's what it is and can we just pay for the best now that it's allegedly acceptable by the NCAA who were supposed to stop cheating a long long time ago and let the SEC seemingly get away with it.

So lets at least challenge the big boys for the prize and if this is indeed the way it's supposed to go to pay to play then I expect some real great football players to start wearing Green and Yellow. I mean think about it people, what would people say if Oregon did just that? There is absolutely nothing they could say as now were just beating them at their own game and this time it's all allegedly legal. So Mr Knight it's all in your corner now.

At some point there needs to be a return on “capital” if monies get thrown around haphazardly with NIL. Otherwise, the money will start to dry up. 

11 guys on the field at one time still hasn’t changed, and one guy can’t win a National Championship by himself. 

I am not concerned about the end of college football. Just concerned that the wrong type of people will find a way to profit from the free-for-all that this creates. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

OK we've all complained about the degrading game we used to love so much. So are we going to jump on the band wagon or not? If Phil has to pay to get it done then so be it and like is slogan for Nike say's " Just Do It " and you may have all noticed I've been writing that in all my post's. I mean these off seasons are just getting to hard so if this is how they want it someone please get an interview with Phil and ask him the tough questions because I'm really interested in if he's 100% on board. Because if he's not then I'm done because I've got better things to do than this.

Its what the world has come to and it's gonna be done here real soon anyways. The system of things cannot go on much longer with what we see unfolding in front of our eye's and I'm not just talking Football which is not competitive nation wide. Its the rich that get what they want and that's all gonna be going away soon enough. Anyways it's what it is and can we just pay for the best now that it's allegedly acceptable by the NCAA who were supposed to stop cheating a long long time ago and let the SEC seemingly get away with it.

So lets at least challenge the big boys for the prize and if this is indeed the way it's supposed to go to pay to play then I expect some real great football players to start wearing Green and Yellow. I mean think about it people, what would people say if Oregon did just that? There is absolutely nothing they could say as now were just beating them at their own game and this time it's all allegedly legal. So Mr Knight it's all in your corner now.

Hey MaiTai,

it sounds like we need a governing body to direct things much like other successful organizations have used. They are certainly on the Broad Road these days.  

NIL has turned out to be a ruse for pay to play. NIL allows each Texas OL guy the be paid $50,000 a year and that is just the 'base salary.' I imagine a guy like Banks is being paid more than 50K a year to play for Texas? The transfer portal means unrestricted one time free agency for every player.

None of this is regulated. Based on the Alston decision the NCAA cannot do anything about players being paid for their name, image and likeness.

So, this means one of four things, IMO, for the Ducks.

1. Join a Super League only loosely affiliated with the school. There will be outright pay for play, a player's union, no academic requirements and a high school draft. Envision 32 big time CFB schools each licensing all football facilities and all other rights to one of the 32 NFL teams. 

2. Find partners willing and able to pay the freight to compete in big time CFB. Such partners are not except for SC and maybe UW, in the Pac-12. Find partners whose collective media rights can at least approach those of the SEC and B1G. Or for Oregon and SC, do all that is possible to be asked to join the B1G. (See further on this move below.)

3. The Alliance and Notre Dame under a single umbrella, market their collective media rights and conduct their own postseason play without any other conferences being involved. This includes taking back the Rose Bowl.

The Alliance regulates the portal. Number of players that can be signed, notice needed to be given by a departing player, etc. The Alliance agrees to an orderly admissions process and required academic progress. Minimum grade point averages and SAT/ACT scores to qualify for matriculation. The Alliance caps the all-in money that can be budgeted for football including a cap on 3rd party donations. The Alliance establishes a minimum that has to be spent on football for a school to get an equal revenue cut.  Basically, the Alliance drops out of the arms race. The SEC can do whatever it wants and the football product will likely be superior in the SEC but regardless, the Alliance focuses more on academics with all players being given 5 seasons to play 4.

4. The Pac-12 becomes the Ivy League west. No athletic scholarships, only Pell Grants and other similar type grants allowed to pay a student-athlete's cost of education . An athlete as is the case in the Ivy League can market his/her NIL. The Pac-12 participates in no post season football and plays 10 games a season.

OK, some of the above can be mixed and matched. But if Oregon wants to be truly big time in CFB it has to be willing to spend on the level of the top B1G and SEC teams and has to find a way to close the income gap between it and the B1G and SEC schools. Standing pat as a conference was a terrible business decision on the part of the Pac-12 conference and terrible in the manner in which it negatively affects Oregon's long term future.

IMO, to heck with the Pac-12. AAU members UW, Oregon, Stanford, USC, Utah and CU should collectively ask to join the B1G with the understanding that revenues would be phased in and adjusted if the new members do not expend enough on CFB and CBB. And also adjusted for stadium size. (Leaving CAL and UCLA out of the mix leaves the CA legislature out of the mix.)

These 6 write off their investment in the Pac-12 Network and are covered by the B1G Network. 

The 20 team B1G has four 5 team pods and not divisions.

CFB as we knew for decades is gone. Now are you willing and able to ante-up to play in the new game?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, 30Duck said:

You could see this coming from thousands of miles away. This is likely the minimum the kid is being offered. I ask this in no demeaning manner whatsoever but, why is anyone at all surprised by this? THIS is today's big time CFB. Pay enough to play or go away to the G5, FCS or D3.

The decision in the Alston case led naturally to 'this' and at the same time neutered the NCAA. No one is in charge. There is wise open 'free agency' in CFB that you do not see in the NFL. There is no spending cap in CFB like there is in the NFL. And who or what is taking a look at roster tampering in CFB? Goes may stay longer in CFB because going to the NFL will mean taking a pay cut.

Edited by Jon Joseph

If this is the new future of college football there wont be many teams competing.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:14 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If this is the new future of college football there wont be many teams competing.

This is the "now" of CFB, not the future. Spot on as to how many institutions of higher learning will want to play this kind of big, big money game? And a large number of schools that would be OK playing this kind of CFB cannot afford to do so including the majority of the Pac-12.

I agree with you Jon but the travel and time chance is detrimental to good CFB being played week in week out. 

I also question how much the will to compete against the best will be impacted by the money.

Also the NCAA could still regulate some of this especially the portal. As far as NIL would have to turn CFB into a business as has been stated with a union and some kind of cap that each school could spend including donors.

What a mess.

A million dollars...for Caleb Williams?  That's just laughable. 

The guy only played against four defensives (I'm excluding the Oregon game since we were running 3+ deep at some positions) ranked in the top 85 in terms of yardage given-up.  How did he make out in those games?

Completed a whopping 38 of 76 (Hey I can do this math - 50%)

Then there is the stellar td to turnover ratio - 4/3.  Wow, that's not too good either.

The average ranking of the remaining defenses he played against is just north of 106.  That's not including the mighty Catamounts of Western Carolina.  He tore them up with a 50% completion percentage in that game.  

You can look up numbers specific to just passing yardage allow by the opponents he played against.  You'll see very, very, similar numbers.  As a whole, perhaps even worse.  Bottom line is the kid made hay against Mary Sister's of the Poor type defensives.  

But, I get it.  He is exciting (exciting does not always equate to positive play) and obviously is a magnetic draw with presumably tremendous upside.  His biggest asset to any program right now is essentially that him being on your roster is like having a built-in top 10 scout on staff.  Heck, even with his crap numbers against above average defenses, I would want him.  

However, I still can't fathom a million dollars strictly based on his performance.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:47 PM, Jester said:

However, I still can't fathom a million dollars strictly based on his performance.  

It has never in any sport, at any level, been based on "performance".  It's much more on potential. KT isn't being talked about being the No. 1 or No.2 pick in the NFL Draft because of his injury laden performance at Oregon. I don't think anybody believes that Williams is going to take Eastern Michigan's offer, but do teams know where the floor is now?

It is a little crazy at this point, but the rich don't tend to burn money just for the heck of it.  They aren't going to want to be continually burned by kids.  Getting a kid in the transfer portal likely locks them in for 2 years, but paying High school kids is going to burn many alumni. 

Kids want to play.  Most aren't going to sit on the bench just collecting a paycheck.  They'll transfer out to a team they will get playing time.  Texas is going to be paying a lot of OL their $50K and see them walk right out the door next season. 

I think the first few years are going to be absolutely crazy, but fingers crossed it settles down.  I think the "super" star guys will always have the money, but OL and 3 guy on the depth chart not so much.

Stunned isn't even the word. You all know what's coming next. A full roster of millionares. Yep, count on it. It's coming. You want the top player at every position? $1 million gets him. It's only $85 million a year to support that roster. Yeah, I'm being facetious, maybe, kinda, well?

What happens when the "employer" of a "great QB" decides the QB isn't worth the $$$???

Example: say a wealthy booster decided to "hire" 5 star QB to come to Oregon with the promise of NIL millions. Mr. 5* shows up on campus and gets "hired" and starts making some serious money... But then, Mr. 5* doesn't beat out a grad transfer for the starting job. Say the coaches just give him very minimal playing time. How long does the wealthy booster continue to pay a great potential QB just to be in the room and be ready to come in if #1 QB gets hurt? Wealthy booster might think it is an investment for the future... next year Mr. 5* will be the starter. But what if the coaches bring in another QB through the portal... one with a couple years starting experience at a big name University from the SEC? What does wealthy booster think now?

What happens when the NIL opportunity to make a million bucks a year dries up after game 5??? Did anyone sign a one year contract? Maybe so since athletes can have agents.

Nice to see the the laborers and risk takers starting to get paid instead of just expert salesmen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sports Illustrated recently estimated that 80% of retired NFL players go broke in their first three years out of the League.

Now make them several years younger and even more immature.  Give them even less sophisticated financial advice.  Take away the standardized contract and replace it with ???.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Heck, Shaq did an interview that talked a out his move to LA, and how unsophisticated and, frankly, naive he was financially.

No idea about the California tax burden, or cost of living.

He claims to have received a check for $10,000,000+, but due to his contract being north of $20,000,000, went out and blew $9,000,000 IN ONE DAY!

He literally bought 3 $300,000 Rolls Royces, among other things.

Does anyone think the average college football player is much more sophisticated than that?

On 1/6/2022 at 5:18 PM, Jon Sousa said:

What happens when the "employer" of a "great QB" decides the QB isn't worth the $$$???

Example: say a wealthy booster decided to "hire" 5 star QB to come to Oregon with the promise of NIL millions. Mr. 5* shows up on campus and gets "hired" and starts making some serious money... But then, Mr. 5* doesn't beat out a grad transfer for the starting job. Say the coaches just give him very minimal playing time. How long does the wealthy booster continue to pay a great potential QB just to be in the room and be ready to come in if #1 QB gets hurt? Wealthy booster might think it is an investment for the future... next year Mr. 5* will be the starter. But what if the coaches bring in another QB through the portal... one with a couple years starting experience at a big name University from the SEC? What does wealthy booster think now?

What happens when the NIL opportunity to make a million bucks a year dries up after game 5??? Did anyone sign a one year contract? Maybe so since athletes can have agents.

He gets fired

On 1/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Did you notice that DGU disappeared from the Dr, Pepper adds this early season. ROI will cool the jets on a lot of these deals.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am very fine with this being above board and the actual players getting paid instead of just the coaches.  Any money the players can make from a system that has profited off of them for decades is just fine.  I hope Knight offers a million bucks to as many stars as possible.