FishDuck Article

Will Coach Locklyn Restore Oregon’s Running Back Legacy?

Oregon is a running back school and has produced some of the greats in both the college and the NFL, including LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner, Jonathan Stewart, LeGarrette Blount and De’Anthony Thomas. The the list goes on. We have to give credit to CJ Verdell and Travis Dye for their running ability and their strong on-field results when they have been ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

David thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on the state of the running back room. As a fan it was exciting to look forward to explosion plays by the running backs in space. Knowing that their was a work horse in the backfield with another work horse ready to step in. Maybe thoroughbreds would be more fitting. Either way it was exciting...

If the stable wasn't so deep, with playing time shared, 2000 yard rushing seasons were a real possibility. Without a doubt the talent in the room was well coached by Gary Campbell. In the last 5 years maybe the QB room wasn't the only room under coached or developed. Of course the Florida Boys were stubborn and it appears they took in very little outside input.

Very excited that Coach Locklyn wants to reach out and take input from Coach Campbell and former Duck greats. After all, their legacy will be remembered far greater by Duck fans than the last 5 years.

David your article has a feel good aspect to it. It was a breath of fresh air to read that a young coach wanted to learn and embrace the past. Especially from a coach and players who had one common theme.  They found the end-zone and lit up the scoreboard. The players the last 5 years would have too. If only the stubborn coaches could have recognized their short comings and just reached out.......

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope it is a signal from this staff that they aren't trying to rebuild it from zero. There is a long legacy of excellence on and off the field. Embracing that history won't take away from what these coaches accomplish it will only enhance it. 

Much like the rebuild of a classic car, you don't forget it's past. To me, and my cars, I love a car which is all stock. My BMW 2002 had the original paint, the patina was beautiful. The engine needed a new carburetor, that only made it perform even better. A 5 speed, instead of a 4 speed transmission did the same thing. In the end it looked like the same car, but performed much better. It was true to it's birthright.

I think that is what we want for the Oregon Program. We want to know it is Oregon, not some team from down south a coach still yearns to see recreated. Oregon is about innovation, not recreation. Bring Oregon into the present, with what it takes to reflect our past. Great topic to ponder on and well written!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Great article. Coach Campbell was and is an Oregon football legend. It’s always good to reach back and get some advice and guidance from a man like him. 

Another place I would look to see how things are done in the backfield is the University of Wisconsin. They always seem to get the most out of their RB’s. For example, their new RB this year was a 17 y/o true Freshman. Braelon Allen is his name. He’s just a local kid from the state of Wisconsin, but he’s a future star. His key to success is his weight training. He has a 405 lb. power clean and a 610 lb. squat. 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Oregon is a running back school and has produced some of the greats in both the college and the NFL, including LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner, Jonathan Stewart, LeGarrette Blount and De’Anthony Thomas. The the list goes on. We have to give credit to CJ Verdell and Travis Dye for their running ability and their strong on-field results when they have been ...

Source

Read the full article here...

I would just like to see some semblance of a RB that can hit paydirt like the old days and not stuck in quicksand if you know what I mean. Hey I love what CJ and Dye have done for Oregon but it's time for them to move on. No more free meals, lol. Most important even over the RB position is QB. Who is going to give us the shot at even reaching the playoff's?

On 1/7/2022 at 8:33 AM, cartm25 said:

Just my observation, but RBs of the past looked for space to keep running.

Recent RBs appear to look for blockers to run into.

Hoping a return to the past is coming.

Agree in the past it was like watching a rally car race. There were a lot of acceleration and cornering, fun to watch. Recently it was more like a demolition derby.

To each his own, but I prefer the skill seen in a performance vehicle. Some might even say our previous coach just wanted a monster truck competition.

60ebwp.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

My lasting image of the Chip years are the running backs. LMJ gets the ball, makes a cut, and he's gone! Barner, or Tyner, are we ever going to forget his spin move? 

• Thumbs Up 3

One of the things I like to see in highlight films is whether or not a running back prospect gets caught from behind (same for WR’s).  I can think of at least three RB’s from the past who pass that test.  Droughns, Stewart and LaMike.  One could argue the same for Mo Morris, Barner and Jeremiah Johnson.  Top end speed is not the end-all but it can be a difference maker.

Love to see the connection with the past.  My only quibble with the article is that it says Mullens opted not to go for a coach with Oregon ties.  It appears Wilcox opted that for him.

LaMike is still my all-time favorite Oregon RB.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/7/2022 at 9:17 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

My only quibble with the article is that it says Mullens opted not to go for a coach with Oregon ties.  It appears Wilcox opted that for him.

I think that Mullens low balled Wilcox to force Wilcox into saying no. Wilcox was not given the same offer Lanning was given considering Wilcox has actually been a a head coach where Lanning has not. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Hey I love what CJ and Dye have done for Oregon but it's time for them to move on.

Verdell always seemed to look for contact when running up the middle. 

I have felt that the vision of the running backs has been lacking where they just run straight and into whoever is there rather than try to bounce to the outside or make a different cut to get into space. Cardwell has so far shown more patience and better vision which I look forward to seeing him develop. 

Enjoyed the take DM and I certainly am enjoying the attitude of the new coaching staff on the way in the door. Thanks again Mario for going MIA. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

Verdell always seemed to look for contact when running up the middle. 

I have felt that the vision of the running backs has been lacking where they just run straight and into whoever is there rather than try to bounce to the outside or make a different cut to get into space. Cardwell has so far shown more patience and better vision which I look forward to seeing him develop. 

Mastro was told to coach his RBs to trust the (supposed) gap.

In the past Campbell taught his RBs to find the gap.

I think we all have seen which method works better. So glad Locklyn is looking to Campbell for input.

• Thanks 1

I think that was due to the scheme that Cristobol employed, run tough through the tackles, Dye was fast, and shifty when he did hit space, but he was bouncing off tacklers at the line, and was hard to get his feet under him to then make that cut, we saw him do it when he went untouched, 30 to 40 yard gains. 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree in the past it was like watching a rally car race. There were a lot of acceleration and cornering, fun to watch. Recently it was more like a demolition derby.

To each his own, but I prefer the skill seen in a performance vehicle. Some might even say our previous coach just wanted a monster truck competition.

60ebwp.jpg

Was that supposed to be a power dive play of some sort?

I went to clinics where coach Campbell taught drills to accomplish finding the gap.  Campbell's drills were the best!  My favorites to use!

Vision, quick feet, and explosive acceleration - hallmarks of a great running back taught by the best - Coach Campbell!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Some of the complete disrespect for Travis Dye and CJ Verdell in the comments kind of surprises me. I get that it’s fashionable right now to disagree with all things Coach Cristobal, but you don’t become #5 and 6 on Oregon’s all-time leading rushers list by just cruising along. Not to mention, Verdell has done so while dealing with injuries each season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

But, I think Coach Locklyn is going to be an awesome RB coach for Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Some of the complete disrespect for Travis Dye and CJ Verdell in the comments kind of surprises me.

Coach, if expressing doubt as to their NFL's futures is disrespectful, I'm guilty. But it seems to me that Dye in particular this season has been overwhelmingly admired and respected for the way he played.

I hope that Verdell and Dye return next season. They are an important part of the Ducks future. We should embrace them being on the field. I am not sure what games some of the forum members watched but tOSU (2021) and Utes (2019) defenses did not track down Verdell from behind. Those runs were epic and came on the big stage.

We have another big stage game next September and I only hope these experienced players are on the field. Don't have any idea of a whether either player has a shot in the NFL. If it's their dream then I wish it would come true for them.

These 2 players are current Oregon Ducks stars. I agree with Coach Boles, they should not be dissected.

What are we thinking?

I believe that if LMJ wouldn’t have been a Duck Kenyon Barner would have set Oregon records that would never be broken.

Don’t forget the cheap shot up at WSU on a kick return that wasn’t flagged that cost KB part of his season. And of course his 300 yard game at USC.

The perfect running back for college football.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

What are we thinking?

I think we are all allowed to have an opinion about Player Performance and Coaching Decisions, as that is what a forum is forWe cannot get personal, and I don't think anyone was by stating an opinion that neither had great NFL prospects.  Rule No. 26 makes it more clear, about current players and coaches.

No. 26: Do not get personal in judgments of  the Players or Coaches: We allow commenting about players and coaches as that is what message boards and forums are all about. Second-guessing coaches and judging player performance is what everyone does, but we must not get personal or nasty toward them. Questioning a play-call or whether a tackle should have been made (Performance-related) is fine, and give your thoughts as to why in one direction or the other.

Whether a coach should be retained or a player replaced is also fair-game because they know they are in the public sphere and that goes with the territory. Let’s discuss, but Ad Hominem attacks on them are forbidden.

No such rules with coaches at other teams, their players or their fans. Go for it and have fun!

Mr. FishDuck