Charles Fischer

Canzano: "Who Can Stop the SEC from Swallowing College Football?"

Good question, and he always gives us some ponder-points whether you like him or not.

Column: Who Can Stop SEC From Swallowing College Football? by John Canzano of OregonLive

bowers

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, that article was by Paul Newberry of the Associated Press. Wondered why he didn't mention Oregon.

I think Canzano would have included Oregon in the article…

One answer to the question: The Alliance, including Notre Dame, holding its own Run For The Roses post season without SEC/ESPN? Brought to you by FOX, CBS, NBC, TNT, etc. Champ game played 1/1 at 5PM in the Rose Bowl.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

One answer to the question: The Alliance, including Notre Dame, holding its own Run For The Roses post season without SEC/ESPN? Brought to you by FOX, CBS, NBC, TNT, etc. Champ game played 1/1 at 5PM in the Rose Bowl.

Or the Pac12 could secede from the NCAA and join the USFL?

IMHO, 3 components are necessary to combat the ESPN/SEC death star from annihilating the basic foundation of college football.

Are there enough presidents, AD'S and league commissioners willing to fight the fight. Apathy will not get anything done. 

Will enough non ESPN media partners be willing to step up and compete with the Death star. It takes forward thinking and high risk to make anything happen.

What will the fans be willing to support? Can advertisers see a ROI from the investment in advertising.

Know this, as long as indecision and fear rule the alliance and other potential participants, the death star will continue to grow in power.

Eventually 4 teams from the PAC, 4 teams from the BIG and Clemson will get an offer to join.

Then the others will be forced to make a plan. For whatever that is worth.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:29 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IMHO, 3 components are necessary to combat the ESPN/SEC death star from annihilating the basic foundation of college football.

Are there enough presidents, AD'S and league commissioners willing to fight the fight. Apathy will not get anything done. 

Will enough non ESPN media partners be willing to step up and compete with the Death star. It takes forward thinking and high risk to make anything happen.

What will the fans be willing to support? Can advertisers see a ROI from the investment in advertising.

Know this, as long as indecision and fear rule the alliance and other potential participants, the death star will continue to grow in power.

Eventually 4 teams from the PAC, 4 teams from the BIG and Clemson will get an offer to join.

Then the others will be forced to make a plan. For whatever that is worth.

The components are at hand. The Alliance can end the arms race simply by going their own way. Putting the brakes on unfettered CFB free agency. Making APR count. Telling other conferences devoid of AAU members that we care more about CFB than we do about semipro football. That we care more about guys graduating than we do about the minority who will play in the NFL. That we can still make plenty of money without you; especially, if we combine our media rights in a fair way that gives the achievers more money than others not as successful. And we can have a great postseason without you and your cartel buddy ESPN.

Take all the 4 and 5 star guys? Who cares. We will be collegial. We will care about academics. You make more alone than without us, so be it. But we refuse to play semi-pro football disguised as an amateur sport. 

It is either this or The Super League as you so properly address, with the ESPN/SEC hegemony controlling CFB and treating us as an after thought.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guest DUCKBILL

Jon, Am I having a dream? This is exactly what I want to happen.Let the SEC semipros go their won way . Let the Universities that still have the perspective that they are there to educate, not to become football factories develop their own leagues and still provide a great entertainment experience.

I thought the article was spot on. I don't like it but it's the truth.

First off, if you can't beat'em, join'em is a horrible strategy. It's consolidating most of the high prowess programs thus guaranteeing that an SEC team will most likely be in the playoffs with a higher than average chance of winning it all. Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas, USC, tOSU, and Clemson all have the horses to compete, but just haven't got the coaching to rip the reigns from Saban. LSU had a nice run and Georgia looks incredible this year. I guess what I'm saying is that the SEC does get the players and Alabama tends to win the recruiting wars, however, Saban is the King of Coaching. Not only does he get the recruits, but he gets those kids to 'WANT' to run through walls for him. Pete Carroll was that at USC. The top shelf recruits combined with a Top shelf Coach.

The second point I feel is spot on. Oregon is NOT in the article. Should they be? The article is about who is dominating the CFP. I want the Ducks to win it all. But, I'm not blind either. We are just now starting to get the horses to look like we can compete year in and year out for a spot at the playoffs. Our previous runs were not based on players so much as on scheme. We wore teams out with the sheer number of plays thrown at them. It was tempo and speed. Yes, we should have won a game here and there, but the argument is whether we have given a body of work worthy of this article. I have to concede, no. Oregon has NOT looked like a Championship caliber team for about 7/8 years. Shoot, we even had a losing year in there. That doesn't happen with a top tier program, a consistent championship program. This is why Oregon wasn't mentioned and quite frankly shouldn't be.

But, I believe that is all about to change. The dream team of recruiters mated to an SEC defensive mind should start to reap a harvest of dominate wins and respectable entries into the CFP. This is the strategy that I think college football should employ. If you don't like losing, get better players and better coaches. The SEC tolerates NO losing. Coaches don't last with an 8-4 record. You know why all the other conferences are mediocre? Because they don't put a premium on coaching. Case in point, Oregon has notoriously had professors complain about how much the athletic department gets and how little academics get. It's only been very recently that Oregon has committed their pocket book to winning. It's only been the last 20 years.  I'm not here to argue the finer points, but this shows the commitment to winning that a school has. You can have a winning scholastic program, just hire the best minds in the field you want to dominate. The smartest minds in the field of study should be the mantra if you want to be the best school for producing the best minds. Now, what we need is the same mentality and commitment to athletics on the grid iron. I believe it's been growing and we have finally gotten the right combo for it.

We don't need more schools in our conference. We don't need to bolt from this conference. We NEED to commit to winning. I believe Oregon just proved they have done just that with the coaching hire and the team just assembled. Oregon has/can/will get the players. Now, all Oregon needs to do is get the Rings.

• Thumbs Up 1