30Duck

Oregon Target Cyrus Moss is Going to Miami

Moss, along with a bunch of other top recruits will announce where he's going to play sometime during the All-American Bowl, tomorrow, 10:00 AM PT on NBC

• Thanks 1

He has great height. He would make a great edge rusher. Just needs to put a little more beef on.

Update!

Let's hope he realizes the benefit of having a defensive-minded HC is a good thing for his development in the college ranks.  Crossing my fingers!

On 1/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, kirklandduck said:

Let's hope he realizes the benefit of having a defensive-minded HC is a good thing

This is what I'm counting on! 

Not optimistic on Moss...all the crystal balls foresee Miami.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, jrw said:

Not optimistic on Moss...all the crystal balls foresee Miami.

As they say, best of luck to him then. 

Mario has been recruiting Moss for over a year, so I’m pretty sure he will go there. 

He has seen Mario s character up close, so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, Jemangi said:

He has seen Mario s character up close, so whatever.

"...we don't judge."  😉

Have these recruits watched the Oregon's games this year and were they paying attention?  Why would anyone want to follow that subpar, train wreck of a coach, MC to Miami is beyond me?  

Unless Big Joe is planning to join MC in Miami and Cyrus Moss has built a strong relationship with Big Joe, I can't see the appeal.  Plus, Dan Lanning like others have pointed out, is a defensive guru. 

I would be more concerned with SC swiping him, even though Miami has been gaining steam.

• Thumbs Up 2

While KT was exciting to watch, you can't help but feel that he underperformed, given that his goal was to get 13 sacks this season.  I believe Bama's Will Anderson Jr. recorded the most sacks with 17.5 sacks.

Injury did play a part, and KT isn't entirely to blame for falling short of his goal.  Many times, this season, he was either being double teamed, or the opposing team designed the run or play away from him.  The D-line as a whole was undermanned, in most cases, rushing only three or four.  It was up to the coaches to make adjustments and put him in a position to make a play, which they failed to do. 

How many times this season, I saw KT drop back into coverage.  By doing so, DeRuyter just neutralized our best pass rusher, weapon on defense, and perhaps, our best chance at winning the game.  We needed more pressure on the QB, not less. 

When the Ducks gave the opposing QBs more time to survey the field, they were able to pick our defense apart.  It was a tall order to ask KT or any DE to cover a RB or receiver in full stride and in space.  Rather than playing to his strengths, DeRuyter made KT look average during those plays, which I hated to watch.

I realize that DeRuyter was the DC and not Mario, but a smarter HC would have intervened and recognized that it was the least effective way to utilize KT's talents.  Mario is definitely not a smart, X's and O's type of coach, which I learned early on.

So if this is type of leadership or lack thereof that Cyrus Moss wants to play for, then by all means.  He better pray that Miami's DC is the real deal.  If not, he will be another underperforming, top DE under Mario's watch. 

Despite all that, KT, on his own merits and under the tutelage of Big Joe, may still become the #1 overall draft pick.

Whoa!!! Hold your horses my friend. KT was double teamed all year and still created havoc. Alabama has NFL talent clear across the line. You don't double team any player on Alabama's line or you are going to get crushed. So, that's not a fair comparison in the least. 

As far as Mr. Moss and his leanings, I wish all the kids the best. I hope he comes to Oregon. These kids want to go to the NFL, thats the first and foremost. Relationships that have been budding for over a year are a factor. But, schools and their academic program is a factor. Facilities are a factor.

Oregon has the feeling of a Rocket ship fueling on the launch pad, and all these kids know it. They all know who is playing in the Championship game come Monday. They are all very aware of who the Coaching staff is becoming at Oregon.

That vibration they feel in the North West is Oregon starting its engines for a powerful run. I hope Cyrus sees this enough to make the commitment to Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:36 PM, 30Duck said:

Update!

On 1/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, 30Duck said:

Moss, along with a bunch of other top recruits will announce where he's going to play sometime during the All-American Bowl, tomorrow, 10:00 AM PT on NBC

H'mm wonder if Lupoi our new DC has phoned Mr Moss up? I would imagine that to be the case and when Mario was here we weren't really sure if Moss was going to come here at all. I mean why all of a sudden would he want to go clear across the country now unless it was Bama. Heck I think I'd pick them or even SC before I went to Miami. Man they got some of the ugliest uni's on the planet.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, DuckIt said:

While KT was exciting to watch, you can't help but feel that he underperformed, given that his goal was to get 13 sacks this season.  I believe Bama's Will Anderson Jr. recorded the most sacks with 17.5 sacks.

Injury did play a part, and KT isn't entirely to blame for falling short of his goal.  Many times, this season, he was either being double teamed, or the opposing team designed the run or play away from him.  The D-line as a whole was undermanned, in most cases, rushing only three or four.  It was up to the coaches to make adjustments and put him in a position to make a play, which they failed to do. 

How many times this season, I saw KT drop back into coverage.  By doing so, DeRuyter just neutralized our best pass rusher, weapon on defense, and perhaps, our best chance at winning the game.  We needed more pressure on the QB, not less. 

When the Ducks gave the opposing QBs more time to survey the field, they were able to pick our defense apart.  It was a tall order to ask KT or any DE to cover a RB or receiver in full stride and in space.  Rather than playing to his strengths, DeRuyter made KT look average during those plays, which I hated to watch.

I realize that DeRuyter was the DC and not Mario, but a smarter HC would have intervened and recognized that it was the least effective way to utilize KT's talents.  Mario is definitely not a smart, X's and O's type of coach, which I learned early on.

So if this is type of leadership or lack thereof that Cyrus Moss wants to play for, then by all means.  He better pray that Miami's DC is the real deal.  If not, he will be another underperforming, top DE under Mario's watch. 

Despite all that, KT, on his own merits and under the tutelage of Big Joe, may still become the #1 overall draft pick.

I did like Big Joe but man he was not a great recruiter and never brought on 1 five star D Lineman. That's what's going to win you championships and that's why Tosh was hired as he can recruit and coach these kids up. I was hoping Mario would ask Holati to come be the Ducks D Line coach. Anyways do love Joe and we could have done better and now we have a way better staff on paper.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, 1Funduck said:

Whoa!!! Hold your horses my friend. KT was double teamed all year and still created havoc. Alabama has NFL talent clear across the line. You don't double team any player on Alabama's line or you are going to get crushed. So, that's not a fair comparison in the least. 

As far as Mr. Moss and his leanings, I wish all the kids the best. I hope he comes to Oregon. These kids want to go to the NFL, thats the first and foremost. Relationships that have been budding for over a year are a factor. But, schools and their academic program is a factor. Facilities are a factor.

Oregon has the feeling of a Rocket ship fueling on the launch pad, and all these kids know it. They all know who is playing in the Championship game come Monday. They are all very aware of who the Coaching staff is becoming at Oregon.

That vibration they feel in the North West is Oregon starting its engines for a powerful run. I hope Cyrus sees this enough to make the commitment to Oregon.

I love and want the kid to but if you think Moss will make the same kind of impact as Thib's his first year I just don't see it. He needs to add at least 15 to 20 lbs of muscle to play the same position and be more suited to be an OLB or rush LB.

He's not gonna be able to hold the edge on run plays either way you want to look at it. GO Ducks Just Do It. I'll also add one more tidbit to the just do it. Be Quiet and let your play on the field do the talking.

Honestly I don't see the need for players to have interviews and talk as if they got this only to get blown out against Utah.

Regardless of where he makes a verbal commitment, my guess is once Lanning is past the championship game, once he has more time, he will continue to push Moss if he wants him.  I'm expecting a big flurry of recruiting effort for players that the new staff wants, whether they've verbally already committed or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

When my daughter and son were juniors and seniors in HS I wasn't certain of what they would do. 40 years further along I have even less idea of what high school kids will do?

I know it is about the Jimmies and the Joes, but nevertheless I do find multi millionaire grown men seducing HS kids to be a bit disturbing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Recruiting is a confidence game, and the more time in the saddle, the more confident the recruit becomes. Miami has that in spades. Moss could be that rare high schooler (like DAT) who thinks outside the box, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Yeah, Cyrus is going to, The U.

Moss announced to Miami.

It would have been great to get him, at least he didn't go to USC. 

If it makes anyone feel better ... This is probably the only year that Cristobal and Miami really dip out west for recruiting purposes. 

The Miami boosters who got him his job want him to own the state for Florida and the south east has plenty of talent close at hand. 

This year MC is pulling on recruits he has a relationship with already which just so happen to be out our way. 

Sucks on the short term but long term we will probably hear his name less and less.... Unless of course Lanning and co. dig right at the heart of Florida recruiting wise... Which is possible but on the whole Oregon needs to own the west coast and only pick up a few recruits from Florida. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be curious to see if Lanning keeps working on him with several weeks available after Mondays game , where he can put in a full time effort.  It will also be interesting to see if he stays that far from home through his college career.

• Thumbs Up 1

Miami is going to be crappy -just saying

I would add he was a Mario target throughout the Miami hiring process. Interesting he wants to move to Miami, but to each his own.

He was a recent Oregon target, or Coach Lanning has just started recruiting him. I wouldn't give up on the kid.

We already have one highly rated Miami DE recruit who left from the west coast and came back, DJ Johnson. Right now I am extremely happy with DJ Johnson, and we may still see Cyrus pull a DJ and flip.

• Thumbs Up 2

Many young recruits have come to regret their decisions. Thankfully, without penalty,  they have the portal to correct that.

Regardless of losing Moss there will be another 4 star player lining up on the edge against Georgia. Without any facts to substantiate this my instincts tell me the new staff will coach and develop that player. Much better than the last staff did.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m honestly more interested in who Lanning wants in his system than the guys Mario wanted in his. 

if even just a few guys follow him out west,  half the starters could be Sewels, Flowes, and KTs.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 1/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, David Marsh said:

If it makes anyone feel better ... This is probably the only year that Cristobal and Miami really dip out west for recruiting purposes. 

The Miami boosters who got him his job want him to own the state for Florida and the south east has plenty of talent close at hand. 

This year MC is pulling on recruits he has a relationship with already which just so happen to be out our way. 

Sucks on the short term but long term we will probably hear his name less and less.... Unless of course Lanning and co. dig right at the heart of Florida recruiting wise... Which is possible but on the whole Oregon needs to own the west coast and only pick up a few recruits from Florida. 

I kind of agree with that except Lanning I'm sure has other plans. He said Oregon's brand we can recruit the whole country. I would love to see them win Washington a lot more because of the talent. Texas is a hot bed and just this class had a lot of 4 star D lineman Mario wasn't even going hard after so to the point I say our worst recruiting efforts while he was here continued to be interior D lineman and that's why Tosh will more than likely get one stud and heck maybe 2 by the 2nd of February. Moss either way you look at it is a tweener and he may have been great in the State of Nevada and it's a whole different level in CF.

The guy isn't going to dominate like some think he will and especially on the D line being across from guys 6-6 335 LBs trying to set the edge. Also look where he's going South Beach so talk about distractions. Does anyone think that Rodrigues had issues with players staying focused in Miami? I mean they are kids but lets be honest here Miami's defense won't even be close to Oregon's with the talent already on board including a sophomore DT that we just got from the Leg lifters. The guy had like 43 tackles inside. That right there was a huge get for Lanning.

Lanning is already getting kids from the south east interested in Oregon. We've got some pretty good players in Bama's backyard that have worked out great for us. I wish we could have kept Jones because if he works hard he's gonna be a disruptive force for Auburn. He wanted to go home and play Bama and dominate their interior line guys and I guess he is just naturally very strong so put him into weight training and we see for a fact what he did just last year. I believe we got a better NT, DT 1 technique 3 Technique as in doesn't matter this kid is gonna be good for us next year.

I would like to see a few more homegrown guys too.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

I kind of agree with that except Lanning I'm sure has other plans. He said Oregon's brand we can recruit the whole country.

I am sure Lanning will be dipping into Florida and the south east on the whole to pull a few recruits every year. 

But the bread and butter for Oregon is the West... Basically every state effectively in the Pac-12 footprint. 

Oregon will be able to pull some talent from the south east but never enough to put together a whole class. Probably 5-7 players at most from the south east in any given year, I am not including Texas as part of the south east by the way. 

He was always following MC.

If he indeed does go to Miami and plays for MC I know I will throw up. If DL wants him there is still time to flip him, might be more interested in getting a proven pass rusher through the portal, maybe 2.

Moss might be a project unlike KT.  Not a lot of meat on those bones.

Narrow shoulders and skinny hips do not make an NFL D line player.

Lanning will find and develop a better pass rusher in time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

Not only is Mario no longer a Duck, he's now a bona fide enemy. Therefore, I wish him no success on the recruiting trail or in his brief upcoming stint as Miami's head coach. Cyrus Moss is making a mistake, but he can be forgiven his misjudgment. He's young. Perhaps in the not-too-distant future he'll make a course correction and abandon Miami for Oregon.

Sad to see this thread taking on a "we didn't want him anyway"  flavor made popular by bitter Huskies in years past.  Right or wrong the kid envisions himself as another KT.  It isn't surprising he followed KT's trifecta of HC, d-line coach, and S&C to Miami.  Be classy, wish him well and move on.

• Thumbs Up 3

Where playing for Mario,  he'll gather moss and not passes.

• Haha 2

Moss to M$am$. Gee I wonder why.