Principal Duck

Texas A&M Spent an "Unfathomable Amount Of Money" NIL... Buying recruits,

I appreciated the bulleted points that really show how it's done. It is going to be interesting to see how between this and the transfer portal college football changes. Texas A&M sure spent a lot to get that number one class.  Sigh.

Texas A&M Boosters Spent Unfathomable Amount Of Money To Land No. 1 Recruiting Class, Per Report by Grayson Weir of brobible

1jf.png?w=650

Thanks for posting the link Principal Duck.

I think the court ruling never imagined these kind of consequences to their decision.  Humans take something the players deserve for their talent, hard work, and entertainment they provide.  Then turn it into something ugly and crass.

I for sure will be rooting for every team that plays against Texas A&M and the University of Texas.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we start to deceive." Sir Walter Scott in the poem "Marmion" 1808.

The beginning of the end of college football!  Get ready for AAA farm club football system just like we have in baseball.  I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

Just my opinion.  Feeling sad for the future of student athletes!

• Thumbs Up 2

My opinion, is like pros,they will need to put salary  restrictions in place,  A School should only be allowed a certain amount of money to spend on nils each year.

• Thumbs Up 2

As much as I feel there needs to be certain controls on NIL by the NCAA or the schools, well it probably won't happen.

Anyone or any entity that attempts to cap the amount of money a player receives for their individual endorsement or opportunity, most likely loses in court. This is an individual capitalizing on their name, image and likeness.  The school is not paying the player. They have no say in this matter.

Does a school or AD really want to discourage boosters, corporations or marketing firms from creating an opportunity to attract top level players? Would Oregon turn down a well organized group bringing $30 million annually to bring top talent to Orrgon? Not hardly........

The courts ruling let the cats out of the bag before anyone knew what cats were in the bag. Now the boosters and schools who cheated don't have to anymore. The subtle and sneaky can be bold and audacious. (Texas AND TA&M)

Doesn't matter what it does to college football. Football is a team sport played by individuals. The boosters are individuals who want the best team on the field. As we are beginning to see, money is no object. And the portal opens unlimited options to view for the players once they enter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes you wonder what will happen when the students make more than the professors. The coaches are usually the highest paid state employees, now the athlete/student may be the highest paid at the university. I suppose at some schools this has already been tried, done.

Is this just leveling the playing field, or is it just going to give the programs already paying athletes even more license to work the system. Stay tuned as the wild wild world of college football goes into hyper speed.

It does seem to mean we need to rename student athletes, athlete students now.

I wonder how inspired some of these highly paid athlete students are going to be when they are already making bank? The reason you go to college is so you can make money, what happens when you already do and don't have to work hard in college athletics?

Unknown-1.jpeg

60lipi.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/9/2022 at 7:00 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As much as I feel there needs to be certain controls on NIL by the NCAA or the schools, well it probably won't happen.

Anyone or any entity that attempts to cap the amount of money a player receives for their individual endorsement or opportunity, most likely loses in court. This is an individual capitalizing on their name, image and likeness.  The school is not paying the player. They have no say in this matter.

Does a school or AD really want to discourage boosters, corporations or marketing firms from creating an opportunity to attract top level players? Would Oregon turn down a well organized group bringing $30 million annually to bring top talent to Orrgon? Not hardly........

The courts ruling let the cats out of the bag before anyone knew what cats were in the bag. Now the boosters and schools who cheated don't have to anymore. The subtle and sneaky can be bold and audacious. (Texas AND TA&M)

Doesn't matter what it does to college football. Football is a team sport played by individuals. The boosters are individuals who want the best team on the field. As we are beginning to see, money is no object. And the portal opens unlimited options to view for the players once they enter.

OK people do you want Oregon to win it all? If Oregon doesn't pay players like A@M and the rest that are truly trying to win it all. A@M just got " SEVEN 5 Star  players " as in are you kidding me. How can you compete with that unless your out bidding the competition. You can't so as much as us old grey beards hate whats happening to this game it's either do what they are doing or we as Duck fans who have watched Oregon come so close to lose because of an injury or say Newton's Father getting a deal for Scam to play for Auburn. I believe they did pay for him and got away with it.

So in reality if the NCAA would have done their jobs he wouldn't have played in that game and Oregon win's it. So that proverbial saying is if you can't beat em join em. Its that simple and as a fan I'd really love to know what Phil Knight is going to do. Is he going to start telling his staff yes pay whatever it takes to get these 5 star players or 24 4 star players.

Oregon should really leverage their sports marketing business program to maximize both their employees exposure as well as the school’s.  This benefit employees across the entire sports program women’s and men’s programs alike.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, florida duck said:

My opinion, is like pros,they will need to put salary  restrictions in place,  A School should only be allowed a certain amount of money to spend on nils each year.

"They?" Based on the 9-0 Alston decision against the NCAA the NCAA can do nothing to control the amount of NIL received by a student athlete. When it comes to BBS football the NCAA is left with eligibility responsibility and that's about it. In November the NCAA basically asked the P5 and G5 to take over rules, regulation and enforcement of CFB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:04 PM, Principal Duck said:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-class-nil-money/

I appreciated the bulleted points that really show how it's done. It is going to be interesting to see how between this and the transfer portal college football changes. Texas a&m sure spent a lot to get that number one class.  Sigh 

Lets be honest the SEC owns the NCAA or did before this crap ever got to this point. I mean it's dishonesty times a Million as their benefactor! The SEC rules CF so my point and it's just pissing me off the more and more I read this crap. So if I don't see clear evidence Mr Knight and the rest of his hob nobbers are 100% into making Oregon the first PAC 12 team to win it all I just don't want to waste my time anymore. I mean why the games about ruined or sorry is ruined by the greed. Think about it why waste money and especially filling up Autzan. Fans have rights to.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

"They?" Based on the 9-0 Alston decision against the NCAA the NCAA can do nothing to control the amount of NIL received by a student athlete. When it comes to BBS football the NCAA is left with eligibility responsibility and that's about it. In November the NCAA basically asked the P5 and G5 to take over rules, regulation and enforcement of CFB.

Yeah whatever the NCAA apparently didn't have the guts to take on the SEC like they almost ruined SMU back in the day.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Yeah whatever the NCAA apparently didn't have the balls to take on the SEC like they almost ruined SMU back in the day.

Recall that SMU guys were being paid under the table and before pay for play is 'legal' under the guise of NIL legislation. Combine this with free agency, the transfer portal, and roster tampering and every roster in FBS will be effected one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lots of passion in just a few posts.

I wonder what the NIL for Moss will be at Miami? If Deion at Jackson State can sign 2 players who were coveted by the P5 Powers with high paying NIL deals, then Oregon boosters best step it up.

MaiTaiDuck is correct but we should all recognize the NCAA governs the schools.  NIL is not paid by the schools. Boosters, corporations and marketing firms rule this, not NCAA. 

It's eat or be eaten. Oregon boosters and smart business marketers time to step up.  This is just the beginning of this business model. Shortly, it may take $85 million annually to field a 4☆ team. The Texas schools will see to that.  Wonder how much money it will take for Bama and Georgia to hold their rosters together come Tuesday morning? 

What will the cost be come National Signing Day? The portal is the only way a player can find out their NIL market value. Proven commodities testing free agency. Hopefully PK and other big time boosters already have a plan in place. The Texas Boys sure did.

This will not signal the end of big time college football. Just change the landscape. For those too young to know this. Shortly after Curt Flood won in court and opened the door for free agency, the New York Yankees spent crazy money to build their team. Luring Reggie Jackson and others from 3 time World Champion Oakland A's.

Yankees got a title from spending money on proven stars. Let's hope we have boosters willing to spend in free agency, right now. The future has arrived.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Lots of passion in just a few posts.

I wonder what the NIL for Moss will be at Miami?

If Deion at Jackson State can sign 2 players who were coveted by the P5 Powers with high paying NIL deals, then Oregon boosters best step it up.

MaiTaiDuck is correct but we should all recognize the NCAA governs the schools.  NIL is not paid by the schools. Boosters, corporations and marketing firms rule this, not NCAA. 

It's eat or be eaten. Oregon boosters and smart business marketers time to step up.  This is just the beginning of this business model. Shortly, it may take $85 million annually to field a 4☆ team. The Texas schools will see to that.

Wonder how much money it will take for Bama and Georgia to hold their rosters together come Tuesday morning? 

What will the cost be come National Signing Day?

The portal is the only way a player can find out their NIL market value. Proven commodities testing free agency. Hopefully PK and other big time boosters already have a plan in place. The Texas Boys sure did.

This will not signal the end of big time college football. Just change the landscape. For those too young to know this. Shortly after Curt Flood won in court and opened the door for free agency, the New York Yankees spent crazy money to build their team. Luring Reggie Jackson and others from 3 time World Champion Oakland A's.

Yankees got a title from spending money on proven stars. Let's hope we have boosters willing to spend in free agency, right now. The future has arrived.

Or, how about the Alliance and Notre Dame say to hell with this and exit the so-called playoff and ESPN come 2026, host their own postseason tourney and put more of an emphasis on education than on athletic prowess?  When OK and TX join the SEC only 5 out 15 SEC schools will be AAU members.

• Thumbs Up 2

So...if it costs 30 million per class, it will cost 120 million for an entire team in the future?  But that is where it has started by A&M, as now that it has begun the "bidding" will make the price tag higher.  

Very few teams out of the 120 D-1 programs can do this...so, I better enjoy college football while I can, as this is spiraling down faster than we could have thought.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/9/2022 at 7:47 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

OK people do you want Oregon to win it all? If Oregon doesn't pay players like A@M and the rest that are truly trying to win it all. A@M just got " SEVEN 5 Star  players " as in are you kidding me. How can you compete with that unless your out bidding the competition. You can't so as much as us old grey beards hate whats happening to this game it's either do what they are doing or we as Duck fans who have watched Oregon come so close to lose because of an injury or say Newton's Father getting a deal for Scam to play for Auburn. I believe they did pay for him and got away with it.

So in reality if the NCAA would have done their jobs he wouldn't have played in that game and Oregon win's it. So that proverbial saying is if you can't beat em join em. Its that simple and as a fan I'd really love to know what Phil Knight is going to do. Is he going to start telling his staff yes pay whatever it takes to get these 5 star players or 24 4 star players.

Pretty sure Phil Knight has done enough for the University of Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Oregon Health Sciences, etc, etc. ,etc. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Charles well considered posts in just a few words:

"Very few teams out of the 120 D-1 programs can do this"

Consider these few thoughts and look forward to all POV's. The beauty or ugly of the pay for play NIL is that the schools don't have to do this. All the AD has to do is grant license or invite the boosters, local/regional business or marketing firms to create the NIL opportunities. Granted not all booster bases are created equal. But the opportunities exist for the bold and creative.  Look at Sanders at Jackson State, that's FCS level.

My son even made this comment to consider.  If our business model was big enough it would be worth it to NIL an entire conference. WTH...... 

Haven't had time to digest all of that statement. I am certain if my son had big tech money coupled with his football passion that he would follow thru with that idea. He would find a way to just do it. To be 35 again.

The best thing the NCAA could do at this point is contact the FBS members and see who would want to join a different D-1 division. Create a commonality that would have rules and purpose with NIL included. Create a 32 team playoff with 85 scholarships per team. FCS model works pretty well. Gather and involve common sense boosters in the process. Whatever mistakes were previously made or are now unfolding then fix it. Be positive,  creative, forward thinking and put the student athlete first.

It sounds bad but in just a few weeks or months their will truly be the haves and have nots in football. Conferences and Presidents are going to have make business decisions. No amount of academic prowess will save this business model. Common sense and a good business plan.

• Thumbs Up 3

NIL money may escalate for awhile. However, paying money to teenagers to play football without return on capital over the long run is expensive. 

In my opinion, a lot of NIL money will figure out that only one team per year wins the National Championship and they received nothing in return for their investment other than an NIL contract to pay a kid $$$$ that didn’t turn out to be the star they hoped. The money will level out at some point. 

Also, if huge Corporate monies get involved, many people will start to protest with their wallets.  If ABC corporation spends millions on Puppy football many people would simply stop buying their products. Shareholders are not too keen on watching earnings drop. 

I have bought season tickets for over 35 years. I enjoy the games and connecting with college buddies from…ahem…40 years ago. That won’t change because of NIL money.

The landscape has slightly changed. However, there still are only a few teams that truly have a legit shot at a title on a regular basis. Why worry about it?

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest DUCKBILL

Jon Joseph had described this "business" model in detail a few days ago. He was right on. This model has now created a professional league for all those schools that decide to go down this road. The real decision in my opinion is whether university leaders will opt in or out of this model. As I have stated before, I do not want Oregon to go this route. Let the universities who want to sponsor their own pro teams go their own way. Let those universities that want to keep the student in student-athlete develop their own leagues, e.g. the Ivy league model. The future that Jon has described is a split between the super league(s) and the rest of the colleges.

I for one, am beginning to lose my interest in college football. This is getting too crazy for me. I will be very interested to see what Lanning can do under these circumstances.

My future wish for Oregon. Develop a league that is based on academic quality. Off the top of my head this would include UCLA, STANFORD, CAL, OREGON, OREGON STATE, WASHINGTON.  UCLA, STANFORD, CAL AND WASHINGTON are among the highest rated universities in the world. Hopefully with Knights gifts to the academic side, Oregon will get on this elite list in the future.

GO DUCKS!!

On 1/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, Drake said:

Why worry about it?

I like this sentiment as we really can't do anything about it. But I also agree with the practical information you brought up. The NIL $$$ is exploding now, but that won't be the norm.  Big Ol Texas Booster didn't get rich throwing his money down a dry hole, and I don't see Texas winning it all with their &50,000 OL's .

On 1/9/2022 at 8:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Or, how about the Alliance and Notre Dame say to hell with this and exit the so-called playoff and ESPN come 2026, host their own postseason tourney and put more of an emphasis on education than on athletic prowess?  When OK and TX join the SEC only 5 out 15 SEC schools will be AAU members.

I'm 100% behind an alternative arrangement.  Let the SEC have their own sandbox and only play each other during both the regular and post season.  How long before the Vanderbilt's and Kentucky's decided the Alliance had greener grass?

• Thumbs Up 2

A friend of mine often used the phrase norming, storming, and conforming.  We interpreted this to understand that there are three phases that occur whenever there is change. I'm not going to worry about all of this too much either because at the end of the day this is all just a fun hobby for me. It just seems like there is so much right now in the storming category that could irrevocably change what this sport is. Someone above said that these athletes do deserve more compensation than what they've received before.

Another person stated that the NCAA has essentially become ineffective in regulation. Charles you brought up the fact that the bidding price has now been set and other teams will need to want to match that to be competitive. So it's that delicate line between what is good for the athletes and where this eventually ends as something that we can all continue to enjoy. For example, the new defensive back coach ringing with him the player from Colorado.

As a fan, that's great! If you're a fan of Colorado though how does that feel to you?  It seems like between coaches getting big money and pulling players with them, the transfer portal, and now this compensation package that is going to create so much inequity, this storming stage could be long and end in a product that is concerning. I simply hope for some stability at some point as we get to that conforming stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So...if it costs 30 million per class, it will cost 120 million for an entire team in the future?  But that is where it has started by A&M, as now that it has begun the "bidding" will make the price tag higher.  

Very few teams out of the 120 D-1 programs can do this...so, I better enjoy college football while I can, as this is spiraling down faster than we could have thought.

Great take. The B1G and the SEC have the $ to do this. The other conferences do not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good posting, Principal Duck. Lots to think about regarding these recent changes in our beloved college football landscape. Personally, I always look at recent changes--or even proposed changes--and try to play them out as I can foresee them playing out down the road. I'm certainly no sage, or anything resembling that, but here are a couple of my thoughts on this as-of-now cloudy college football future.

•  
  • First, like so many of the bargaining agreements we've seen over recent years in pro sports, I think we'll see the NIL primarily benefit the top 1% of college athletes in only a couple of sports. 
  •  
  • Second, as this act of freeing athletes to gain pay for their performance moves the bar downwards on the age scale, I think the percentage of "potential" stars who don't actually develop into "real" stars will go up dramatically. Accordingly, how will some of those fizzled investments affect potential sponsors down the road?
  •  
  • Third, when a team loads up on players who have basically been lured to that school because it--errrr, their boosters--offered the best financial deal, how will that translate to the players' motivation to give their all for the coach and school on the field? In other words, will there be a higher percentage of opt-outs during the season for such teams?
  •  
  • Fourth, if my third point indeed comes to pass, will teams begin to strike NIL deals with players that are broken down into game-by-game financial incentives to motivate players to continue to "opt in?"
  •  
  • Finally, as others have pondered above, as this plays out over the next few years, if the college football landscape becomes further stratified between those offering lots of financial incentives to lots of athletes vs those who aren't, will new divisions form?

Man, I truly want to roll with the changes and personally evolve with the changing times, but, frankly, I'm still kinda pi$$ed about the Curt Flood decision. 😉

My main interest is track and field. The NCAA presently limits scholarship numbers to a small portion of what they used to be. Teams give out partial scholarships which is not allowed in football or basketball. What if PK starts giving 30 or 40 or more athletes NIL deals? Oregon could buy their way to the top. This needs to stop as much as I want the Ducks to lead the pack.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, Drake said:

In my opinion, a lot of NIL money will figure out that only one team per year wins the National Championship and they received nothing in return for their investment other than an NIL contract to pay a kid $$$$ that didn’t turn out to be the star they hoped. The money will level out at some point. 

My thought exactly.

It's going to take a few years for this to settle down.

Kids don't just want money now... they want to go to the NFL.

Sell the kids on great coaching that gives the skills they need to play in the NFL... AND a reasonable, very comfortable NIL.

• Thumbs Up 2

College football has set its foot on the path to becoming the NFL.  I've been a Duck fan since 1972 and when that happens I will walk away from them and college football.  I want a National Title as much as any fan out their but I want one earned not bought.

Quiet

Just out of curiosity... Does anyone know the salary cap for NFL teams? Or at least how much money is paid out on average for an NFL team? 

My gut says that it won't take like for college football NIL to become more expensive to run than the pros.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, Quietduck said:

College football has set its foot on the path to becoming the NFL.  I've been a Duck fan since 1972 and when that happens I will walk away from them and college football.  I want a National Title as much as any fan out their but I want one earned not bought.

Quiet

Unless there is a return on investment, the stupid money will dry up. 

Investing in a school or program may be understandable, but handing it over to young men in the hope that they will not blow it or the opportunity is absurd.

That said, there appears to be a lot of stupid money out there now.  

How sad will it be to the investors when A&M doesn’t win the conference next year?

I might be going against the grain, but I believe that A&M's plan isn't sustainable. You can have the #1 player at every position every single year and still never win it all. Top 10 talent at any given position can win it all any given year. Alabama is littered with top 5 Roster each year but has predominantly 4* players with a sprinkling of 5* and the occasional 3*.

Talent leans to the stars, but you don't have to pay to get a playoff caliber team. With that said, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Oregon's strategy is on the level of Belichick. Incredible QB with an above average offensive line and wildly committed receivers, Wes Welker anybody, and a premium on D line ball. Speed everywhere. 

Pay for the QB and the Offensive line and defensive line. All the other players will look like world beaters if the Line is NFL talent.

On 1/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, florida duck said:

I agree with the intent stated here but what's going to be challenging is that the schools have nothing to do with the money being paid to the players.  The article talks about the LLCs being created and funded by the boosters...so essentially they are corporations completely independent of the university that have been created by boosters for the sole purpose of funneling money to players.  

Between this and the transfer portal, this is the end of college football as we know it if the powers that be don't figure out a way to manage this and maintain the integrity of the sport.

Great for these kids that they are getting paid for being good at what they do in a sport that generates an estimated $4 Billion in revenue for the Power 5 programs.

The coaches are making big bucks and when the strength and conditioning coach at Ohio State is making $800K a year and many others in that position are in the $500K range you know there is a lot of money being generated. It's crazy but that is the reality of how competitive the sport is and how much the ROI is when you develop a winning brand.

Since big business is all about capitalism it makes sense that the richest boosters are able to have the biggest impact with helping their favorite universities. Right or wrong that is the core of how things work so it might as well fly in college sports. It's a good lesson to young people as to how the world really works. Just look at all the coaches that feign loyalty and family to recruits and players. As soon as these coaches get a better offer they hit the highway and never look in the rearview mirror. It's just becoming clear to everybody that while it is still a great sport it is primarily a business.

Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me site and raise money for our favorite recruits. Let's get some Defensive Linemen! It's probably OK to do ... LOL.

Edited by LADuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

If they can do it in Texas it can also be done here if we want to step up the table and eat with the big boys.

This actually can have more freedom and choices which is always good.

The idea of breaking up the monolithic monopoly of the NCAA. they allowed 120+ teams the false hope of playing for a championship against 10 to 20 elites.

The breaking up of this could be a winning ticket if there is forward thinking out there. 

Just have to wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:04 PM, Principal Duck said:

I appreciated the bulleted points that really show how it's done. It is going to be interesting to see how between this and the transfer portal college football changes. Texas A&M sure spent a lot to get that number one class.  Sigh.

Texas A&M Boosters Spent Unfathomable Amount Of Money To Land No. 1 Recruiting Class, Per Report by Grayson Weir of brobible

1jf.png?w=650

So why haven't we heard anything about Oregon doing this? Phil Knight and 30 Million is chump change. I guess we will see if he and other boosters feel they really want Oregon in the Championship someday soon. I mean Phil is getting pretty up there in age. He obviously hasn't found the fountain of youth yet. So Come on Mr Knight are you gonna do what your NIKE slogan suggests. Just Do It!

On 1/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, Duck 1972 said:

If they can do it in Texas it can also be done here if we want to step up the table and eat with the big boys.

This actually can have more freedom and choices which is always good.

The idea of breaking up the monolithic monopoly of the NCAA. they allowed 120+ teams the false hope of playing for a championship against 10 to 20 elites.

The breaking up of this could be a winning ticket if there is forward thinking out there. 

Just have to wait and see.

Well look at JS with Sanders as the their HC. They just signed the number 1 recruit plus the 5 star W/O from the state of Missouri committed. You know it wasn't just Dion that got them to play for a College that's below D-1. I mean come on they got two better players from HS than Oregon has. That to me is not evolving to the situation like all these other teams. Oregon is way to slow at this game. I know the coaching change has made a huge impact so if you can spend like all these others then quite frankly I expect Oregon to have a TOP 5 class from here on out.

Also I liked what they said about making the money about keeping them from transferring out so this would work to our benefit you would think.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, Drake said:

NIL money may escalate for awhile. However, paying money to teenagers to play football without return on capital over the long run is expensive. 

Also, if huge Corporate monies get involved, many people will start to protest with their wallets.  If ABC corporation spends millions on Puppy football many people would simply stop buying their products. Shareholders are not too keen on watching earnings drop. 

I have bought season tickets for over 35 years. I enjoy the games and connecting with college buddies from…ahem…40 years ago. That won’t change because of NIL money.

The landscape has slightly changed. However, there still are only a few teams that truly have a legit shot at a title on a regular basis. Why worry about it?

We reasoned regarding how a 'normal' business would consider its investment in college football player. But we are dealing with fanatics here, fans who own businesses or other wise have ways to funnel money to the school they love.

DGU due to an average season was pulled by DR Pepper early on. But remember, these deals are structured not necessarily to promote a product but to buy a kid's services for your school.

I'm pretty certain the ROI is not the driving force behind NIL being used to buy recruits or to buy guys out of the portal.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Kids don't just want money now... they want to go to the NFL.

Sell the kids on great coaching that gives the skills they need to play in the NFL... AND a reasonable, very comfortable NIL.

Taki Taimani: "Going to Oregon, I see people talk about them throwing me money, but to be real, there was no money thrown at me. I went there because of Tosh, the coaching aspect and Lanning — what they have to provide."

Proof it doesn't have to be about the millions.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Taki Taimani: "Going to Oregon, I see people talk about them throwing me money, but to be real, there was no money thrown at me. I went there because of Tosh, the coaching aspect and Lanning — what they have to provide."

Proof it doesn't have to be about the millions.

Agreed in fact it will be a greater accomplishment to do it without the money.

I believe there are great athletes who want to not just get money. They want to earn their right to be on the team.

They know of the importance of creating a mentor for getting through life. I still believe the personal relationship with the coach/rd is extremely important.

They will still have opportunities for the NIL. In fact with KT leading the way we show it how it's done the right way not just talk about it.

Let's see how it goes. If in 4 yrs we don't have a trophy then we do what everybody else is doing.

"I think the court ruling never imagined these kind of consequences to their decision."

The job of the SCOTUS is to rule on the constitutionality of a case.

The end.

In today's world of CFB with no such thing as a salary cap, we are living in the realm of no holds barred -- the sky is the limit, NIL, free agency, and effectively no scholarship limitations.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, DUCKBILL said:

My future wish for Oregon. Develop a league that is based on academic quality. Off the top of my head this would include UCLA, STANFORD, CAL, OREGON, OREGON STATE, WASHINGTON.  UCLA, STANFORD, CAL AND WASHINGTON are among the highest rated universities in the world. Hopefully with Knights gifts to the academic side, Oregon will get on this elite list in the future.

GO DUCKS!!

I believe we have that already... The PAC12.  And the conference promotes its prowess on Olympic Sports to boot.  I don't think that's working out to well. 

In fact, I believe the Olympic Sports are in jeopardy from that very strategy.  Should we jump into the fray?  Depends on if we really believe the Ivy League model will pan out and produce enough revenue to support all the sports the conference values.

I believe we discussed the impact NIL is having yesterday, from none other than Saint Nick himself.  Now I happen to believe Nick Saban will thrive no matter what. 

It seems Saban is far more concerned about recent trends because it definitely will leave dozens of schools behind ( and their Athletic Departments as well).  

Now it makes sense to me to expand the playoffs.  I'm not sure that will stem the tide because I personally believe there are only twenty to thirty schools capable of producing quality football at this point in time.  

It was clear to most NIL was going to ruin the college game.  But I believe astronomic coaching salaries was the beginning of the end.  

Programs looking at this like academics is going to save the game ( more like the status quo )aren't realistic in my opinion. 

Look at Stanford, Cal and UCLA for instance.  The more academic they go, the less competitive they've been.  Combine that with this new arms race.  I doubt Harvard will even compete with Army anytime soon.  That's about what UCLA v. Oregon looks like present day. 

I dread the thought the Conference of Champions doubling down on their current path.  Forget about G5 status. I'm thinking practically high school versus P5. Cal is practically dead on arrival as we speak already. 

Who knows, maybe it's best to let the schools that want NFL "light" go their own way.  The question then becomes whether FOX, CBS and ESPN will sponsor the remnants of this fiasco. 

One last thought: If we balk at this emerging scene, will Television executives leave the present system behind ( if we don't go to games, why would they televise them)?  Talk about being stuck in a present scenario we don't want... Answers are going to be hard to come by going forward.