geoquack

The NFL Will Never Admit That . . .

. . . their OT rules are hugely unfair to the team that loses the toss.

Give Herby another possession.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure I follow.  The Chargers had a possession and tied it.  After that, it's sudden death until the clock runs out, at which point it is a tie.  The Chargers are out of the playoffs because they gave up a 12 yard run when the Raiders were content to let the game end in a tie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Raiders (winner of OT coin flip)  two possessions.

Chargers one possession.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, DCDuckfan said:

The Chargers are out of the playoffs because they gave up a 12 yard run when the Raiders were content to let the game end in a tie.

The Chargers D won’t be confused with the ‘85 Bears. Just saying.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/9/2022 at 9:25 PM, geoquack said:

. . . their OT rules are hugely unfair to the team that loses the toss.

Can't disagree here. 

The Chargers need some defense... and a little help on the right side of the O-Line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

The NFL overtime rules are vastly superior to the silly overtime rules of college football, in which there's no clock and offenses take turns like in a baseball game. The "Kansas Plan" should be wished away into a cornfield, never to be seen again.

The Chargers racked up over 108 yards in penalties,  pretty hard to win when you do that.

They were 8 of 10 going for it on 4th down, but going for it and not getting it on their own 18 was the 3 points that cost them the game.

Herbie did better than he did last year and looks to do even better next year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Both teams played 60 minutes before OT.  I don't think anybody can feel sorry for the team that loses in OT.  

I hope Staley had the backing of the whole team before last night, because his bone head TO cost his team a playoff spot.  I don't believe his comment about needing the correct defensive grouping on the field.  He wanted the Raiders to be forced to punt and it blew up big time in his face.  I also believe LV would have let the clock run out if Staley didn't call a TO.

I get Staley likes to be aggressive, but he doesn't seem to always pick the right moments.  Going for it on 4th down on you own 18 in the 3rd quarter was a bad decision.

Just a hunch, but if Staley doesn't make the playoffs next season, I think he is going to be fired.

He made bonehead  calls that cost them about 2 games for sure earlier in the season .  

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chargers are improving and will continue to improve. There should be no OT in CFB except in champ and playoff games. Then you play as many quarters of 'regular football' as needed before a winner is declared.

The NFL definitely did not want a tie last night.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Chargers D won’t be confused with the ‘85 Bears. Just saying.

Do they even have LBS? 

Agree with much of the above about the OT rules and Staley's being boneheaded (in a MC kind of way about winning the battle in the trenches to the exclusion of smart play) about 4th down risk taking and clock management. The LAC line was strong before RT Bulaga had a season ending injury. His replacement Storm Norton got his lunch stolen by Raider DE Crosby all game, letting him live in Justin's facemask.

In spite of that, what Herbie did was nothing short of miraculous in that 4th quarter. Helluva exciting game.in spite of the outcome 

• Like 1

I see at least two problems with the rule. 

The team that wins the toss and scores a TD, the other team never gets the ball.

If the team that wins the toss scores a FG, the other team should not be facing the rest of the 10 minute clock.  They should have all the time they need to finish the drive.  For instance, had LV kicked the FG with 1 minute left,  LA should be given all the time they need for their possession.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, Axel said:

The NFL overtime rules are vastly superior to the silly overtime rules of college football, in which there's no clock and offenses take turns like in a baseball game. The "Kansas Plan" should be wished away into a cornfield, never to be seen again.

I think the Kansas Plan is more fair in terms of equal chances.  The go for 2 rule now in the 3rd OT speeds it up.  Coin flip still a slight advantage in terms of always choosing defense if you win the toss, but it flips in the 2nd OT.  NFL new OT rules are better than the old sudden death at least