FishDuck Article

National Championship GameDay Thread: Watch for Georgia Blitzes!

This article will hopefully provide a ton of intel going into the National Championship Game, that will not only identify keys to watch for, but will also foreshadow things to look for in the Oregon defense under Coach Dan Lanning. It will also mark the GameDay thread over at the Our Beloved Ducks forum where we discuss the information below ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Charles, your article is getting me all fired up, not as much for tonight’s game, but for next year!  Thank you for the research into wha Lanning could bring,

Next year is gonna be both exciting and fun!

If JF can put together an injury free season alongside NS, they will be a force to be reckoned with!  Either on or both blitzing in the Rain-Blitz is going to rain havoc on opposing QBs!

Thanks Charles for this first glimpse into Coach Lannings defensive schemes. Looking forward to many more articles. Exciting times ahead for Duck fans.

Ian Miller painted a bleak picture of the talent and ability of the Bulldogs back 4 defensive players. The Ducks appear to have some NFL talent in those positions on the roster now.

The Lanning emphasis appears to be driven by the front 7. Barring injury or the portal, the 2-5☆ linebackers you mentioned (Sewell and Flowe) could have All-American years. The returning Duck front 7 has talent and game experience. Another reason for excitement.

If the Georgia staff apologized for not playing Bulldog football, it made me wonder. Did Smart over rule Lanning on the game plan? Or did Lanning sell Smart on that disastrous defensive game plan in SEC championship?  Probably never know but if the proof is in the pudding, somebody is getting served tonight. Go Georgia D.

The best reason for me to be excited is that once the Natty is over, Oregon has a full-time HC. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great and very interesting take. Tennessee, A+M, LSU and Auburn all tested the Bama O by mixing up the looks and the number of guys on the DL. Confusing an average OL by Bama standards, as to how much pressure would be brought and where it was coming from. UGA stayed in its base 4 DL alignment the entire game versus Bama making it easier as you so noted Charles, on the Bama OL and on a very active QB,  Bryce Young. Auburn sacked Young 7 times, Bama zero.

As Dawg pointed out, in the SEC champ game Young had all day to exploit an average UGA secondary. And with the pass game working, the Bama run game worked better than it had all season against quality SEC Ds. If UGA cannot pressure Young and Stetson Bennett turns it over like he did in the SEC champ game, Bama wins. In Young. LB Anderson and WR Williamson, Bama will have the 3 best players on the field.

Bama was the underdog in the SEC champ game for the first time in close to forever. Bama is the underdog tonight. I'm sure Bama hasn't been a back to back dog since Saban's first season in Tuscaloosa.

Bama has the better, by far, QB. Bill O'Brien schooled Lanning and Smart in the SEC champ game. Saban has a big time psychological edge on Smart, a former assistant  has he beaten time and again after falling behind versus Georgia. 

I want UGA to win but sorry: Go Bama! Roll Tide!

It is hard to believe Kelee Ringo who was the #1 recruit at DB, and is an elite NFL talent has zero technique.  If so then it doesn't look good for the Oregon DB's and their development. 

I will agree the SEC standard for position groups is higher than in the Pac-12. Going against Alabama with any weakness isn't an easy task.

My take with adjustments the Georgia backfield will do just fine.

The wild card will be the wily Saban. What moves is he going to make. It will be like watching another Bobby Fischer on the football field. This will be a treat after watching what looked like a three stooges act on the sideline for too long. I had a pretty funny meme of one of the stooges, but better judgement ruled.

Thank you my friends, but another element in all of this is the valuable experience that Dan Lanning is acquiring tonight.  The pressure and stage of the 'Natty, and the adjustments.

He comes to Oregon as a more experienced coach than when we signed him!

Dan Lanning_Duck Digest.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Outstanding article. Very informative learning experience.  If you have not read it, take a few minutes to do so before the game.  I will read it again, then, to refresh my memory.

• Thanks 1

Looking for a Lanning Tanning of the Tide tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looked like some of that bend don't break on that first drive. With a soft secondary. 

Alabama is so much better at quarterback than Georgia.  Bryce Young negates Lanning's aggressive defense.   In my opinion that's pretty much the game.

Much better defensive series that last drive. 

Bama has scored all the points they need. This is going to end up like the 2012 national championship game against LSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far UGA D is bowing up

Georgia just needs to settle down. Too many penalties, and dumb ones.

UGA’s offense digs as many holes for them selves as the Ducks do.

• Haha 1

Bulldogs arent going to win with this offense

they need some run plays to the side with co blockers, Bamas D is just too much. QB looks scared.

Yawn!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty stoked that we didn't hire Georgia's Offensive Coordinator........

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

The Battle of the Kickers

Forcing a Bama offense to 3 fg in 30 minutes is a pretty big accomplishment.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cristobalesque use of timeouts by Saban 

This game's got me like...

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

One of these teams has to come up with some offense or we are going to fall asleep

Wow... someone actually scored a TD

Lanning's D is pretty good but in all fairness his players arent bad either

Bama QB Young still looks poised under a lot of pressure.  

Wonder what will happen once he lets loose?

On 1/10/2022 at 9:35 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

I'm pretty stoked that we didn't hire Georgia's Offensive Coordinator........

I was just thinking the same thing. This guy’s trick plays are a disaster. UGA’s lack of discipline is also pretty horrible. You can definitely tell that Saban is the master while Kirby is his student.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to admit, some of the throws on this drive are stunning.

Such passionate booing...

Right now, Georgia's DBs looking pretty good.

And that's the ball game!

Defense wins championships?

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

NEVER.GIVE.UP.

Well that defensive turn around between the SEC Championship and this game should sure make it easier for Lanning to recruit here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just think, our 1st game next year is with Ga 

Congratulations Coach Lanning. Take some time to celebrate with those guys, then welcome to Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Ok, no longer a fan of Georgia. 

Time to get to work Duckies! 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Congrats Coach Lanning--awesome --In the words of Led Zeppelin "Bring it on Home"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

First game Bammer kinda handed Georgia their hat. Obviously, adjustments were made. I don't ever see Ootah beating us twice in a row again..........

• Like 1

Except for some questionable tacking at times and too many penalties. Georgia looked stellar against a talented roster and a Heisman QB.

fun game to watch for sure.