Tandaian

Justin Herbert NFL Career to Date

Some stats have been previously mentioned.

Most total TDs as a rookie: 36

Most passing TDs as a rookie: 31

Most completions as a rookie: 396

Most 300 yard games as a rookie: 8

1st QB to throw 30+ TDs in their first 2 seasons.

Most total TDs in their first 2 seasons: 77

Most passing yards in their first 2 seasons: 9,350

Most passing TDs in their first 2 seasons: 69

Most 300 yard games in their first 2 seasons: 17

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 3

Pretty good

Imagine if they had a defense? 

• Haha 2

herbie makes coaches look better than they are, thus maintaining those coaches’ jobs longer than deserved. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm going to take the contrarian view that Staley is a good coach, just needs more time as a game general. Collinsworth showed a schematic last night of Staley's success rate on 4th down attempts that supported being aggressive. He just needs to use it less like a gunslinger and more like sniper. And yes, JH makes Staley look better than he is now, but I say give this another year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Justin’s numbers have been great and his trajectory continues to point upward, but what really impressed me was his performance down the stretch, converting 4th and long after 4th and long.

LA did a lot to hot potato that game into a loss.  Turned it over twice (once on downs) deep in their own end, giving-up a 3rd and 23 on a run up the middle to extend a Raider drive, and the receivers really didn’t make plays to help their QB yet Herbie gave them chances to steal that game. 

I wish LA would have won, if for nothing else to hear Justin’s gutsy performance being recognized nationally.  Accurate throws into tight windows on 4th downs is nothing to sneeze at.  I thought it was extra-special considering Max Crosby’s continual physical assault of Storm Norton on his path to decapitate of our beloved Duck.

Our young gun showed leadership, guts, his physical skills, and that he’s a straight-up baller.  Very proud to call him a Duck.      

• Thumbs Up 4

JH, class act and a hell-of-a QB.  Their D was again horrible.  Can't put a team on your back and have no D support.  

Like the way Staley goes for it.  One of the best games of the year.  Achieving the tying TD with no time was unbelievable.  

Something needs to be done about the pass interference calls the home team seems to invariably get (esp for uncatchable throws)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The announcing crew did go back to that Pass Interference and mentioned it was an uncatchable ball.  I'm not able to find the NFL rule where it says if it matters if it is catchable or not.  I would be OK with giving like a 5 yard penalty for the play that happened, but definitely not a spot foul.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, Tandaian said:

The announcing crew did go back to that Pass Interference and mentioned it was an uncatchable ball.  I'm not able to find the NFL rule where it says if it matters if it is catchable or not.  I would be OK with giving like a 5 yard penalty for the play that happened, but definitely not a spot foul.

There is a “catchable” element that’s part of calling PI.  However, it’s somewhat like tagging 2nd when turning-two in baseball.  As long as that ball is in the general vicinity, they’ll toss the hanky. 

Zay Jones sold it as well.  Acted as if some Oswald wannabe shot him from behind the hotdog vendor.    

That 4th down laser beam JH threw to Williams in the middle of the end zone, running to his left to escape another Raider DL who had beaten their block was a superhuman thing of beauty. Too many other well targeted drops by LAC receivers didn't help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another game of great injustices, the PI on the uncatchable pass. It really seemed like the Raiders were fine with the tie that would have sent both teams to the Playoffs, but Chargers call time out? To get their run defense in? Where was the run defense the whole game?

The Chargers go down 10-0, not a problem. But, wait, that run defense that let the Chargers get a 3rd and 23, yeah. Problem. Herbert had yet another fantastic game, shedding tacklers, throwing lightning bolts, yet it's Carr who game managed the Raiders to the win. 

The dropped passes didn't help out JH either. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I'm going to take the contrarian view that Staley is a good coach, just needs more time as a game general. Collinsworth showed a schematic last night of Staley's success rate on 4th down attempts that supported being aggressive. He just needs to use it less like a gunslinger and more like sniper. And yes, JH makes Staley look better than he is now, but I say give this another year.

Well, Staley really must have hidden his brilliance very well last night - Just a couple of examples off the top of my head: Kicking FG on 4th down from near mid-field, while going for it on own 18?   Calling that timeout in OT to help Raiders decide to beat you instead of settling for tie?

I feel the Chargers are held back more from the management side of things than the the coaching side at this point. I will be honest, my knowledge for NFL football is rather limited. However, Herbert needs an offensive line and a defense that can give him more opportunities to play with a lead rather than struggling to gain control of the game. 

NFL coaches don't have full control of their rosters so they make do with what they have... what they need are some players to protect Herbert better and a defense that gets Herbert the ball back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, David Marsh said:

Herbert needs an offensive line and a defense that can give him more opportunities to play with a lead rather than struggling to gain control of the game. 

Exactly what happened at the end of the 1st half. The Raiders had gone out to a 10-0 lead, but Herbert had got the lead back, 14-10, and would get the ball to start the 2nd half. But, unfortunately, the Chargers do not have the defense you described. 

Herbert is just one solid defense away from winning the Super Bowl. Plain and simple. Chargers have to make the defense their top priority at draft time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, Jester said:

There is a “catchable” element that’s part of calling PI.  However, it’s somewhat like tagging 2nd when turning-two in baseball.  As long as that ball is in the general vicinity, they’ll toss the hanky. 

Zay Jones sold it as well.  Acted as if some Oswald wannabe shot him from behind the hotdog vendor.    

It was like watching a SOCCER FLOP, pathetic at best.  But since the guy was in a different time zone as where the ball went, I shut it off, terrible call.  Reminded me why I quit watching the NFL.