DCDuckfan

Its Gonna Be Nasty

I can't wait to watch this style of defense bludgeon teams for years to come in the Pac-12!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

The return of Gang Green?

Hope so.

• Thumbs Up 1

A dominant Defense can still win a natty!!!

• Like 1

Lanning sure is a great D coach -just hope he can turn PAC D/Oregon D players into that. Good luck because what I saw last year wasnt good from the Ducks as far as enthusiasm.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:10 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Lanning sure is a great D coach -just hope he can turn PAC D/Oregon D players into that. Good luck because what I saw last year wasnt good from the Ducks as far as enthusiasm.

I'm actually baffled in part as to why last year's defense was on the whole so bad. There were some flashes of greatness we all saw but only flashes. 

Yes, there were loads of injuries and youth played a role at least early on in the season... But as the season wore on they really didn't get any better.

It's also not like DeRuyter doesn't have a good defensive coordinator reputation. He has coached some good defenses in the past. Oregon just kept giving up all the underneath routes that led to loads of yards. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ducks played passive D last year and quite frankly so did the O line-shocking that they got 10 wins.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMO the reason the PAC is never rated very good and loses BOWL games  is because of LAZY defenses.

HATS OFF TO UGA! Big break with the top 2 Bama WRs out but the Dawgs took advantage

Next up for Oregon, an opening game versus the defending NC in Atlanta,. GULP! Lanning mixed up the D big time from the SEC champ game. Shut down  Bama's run game and had Young uncomfortable in the pocket the entire game.  Mixed up his DL formations and disguised many blitzes.

Huge win for the Dawgs and the first UGA Natty since 1981. Watched the game at my club amidst myriad Dawgs fans. My ears are still barking. Great way to send coach Lanning west to Oregon. Compared the the Pac-12, there was a whole punch of big bodies on the field of play. Hopefully Lanning can bring some of these big boys into the fold? 

And as to Bo Nix, in the Pac-12 he is not going to see the Ds he played against in the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

HATS OFF TO UGA! Big break with the top 2 Bama WRs out but the Dawgs took advantage

Next up for Oregon, an opening game versus the defending NC in Atlanta,. GULP!

Lanning mixed up the D big time from the SEC champ game. Shut down  Bama's run game and had Young uncomfortable in the pocket the entire game.  Mixed up his DL formations and disguised many blitzes.

Huge win for the Dawgs and the first UGA Natty since 1981.

Watched the game at my club amidst myriad Dawgs fans. My ears are still barking.

Great way to send coach Lanning west to Oregon. 

Compared the the Pac-12, there was a whole punch of big bodies on the field of play. Hopefully Lanning can bring some of these big boys into the fold? 

And as to Bo Nix, in the Pac-12 he is not going to see the Ds he played against in the SEC.

Georgia's players werent just big-they were fast and went to the ball. Thats going to be a big task for Lanning. Im glad he is here now.

How fired up will Noah Sewell, Justin Flowe, and the rest of the defense be to play for a guy that brings intense enthusiasm, great scheme, and a national championship win to the sidelines!!!  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2022 at 9:56 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

How fired up will Noah Sewell, Justin Flowe, and the rest of the defense be to play for a guy that brings intense enthusiasm, great scheme, and a national championship win to the sidelines!!!  

I dont know but Im fired up!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Big break with the top 2 Bama WRs out

Boo-Hoo.  Nobody felt the least bit sorry for us in 2014 when two of our top two receiving playmakers, (Allen and Carrington) were out, and the one NOBODY knows is how a RS Freshman LB had to fill in and was awful.  He personally gave up two long "Ike" touchdowns.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Holding Alabama to 18 points, five attempted field goals (one blocked) and a single TD is an accomplishment few DC’s get to savor.

should encourage a few big bodies to train as Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Boo-Hoo.  Nobody felt the least bit sorry for us in 2014 when two of our top two receiving playmakers, (Allen and Carrington) were out, and the one NOBODY knows is how a RS Freshman LB had to fill in and was awful.  He personally gave up two long "Ike" touchdowns.

Also, don't forget the abysmal play calling after the opening drive. Mariota needed to be a difference maker. He wasn't 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:02 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Holding Alabama to 18 points, five attempted field goals (one blocked) and a single TD is an accomplishment few DC’s get to savor.

should encourage a few big bodies to train as Ducks!

And the TD was not on a long drive, but a gimme start on the 15 yard line...  Amazing defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm actually baffled in part as to why last year's defense was on the whole so bad. There were some flashes of greatness we all saw but only flashes. 

Yes, there were loads of injuries and youth played a role at least early on in the season... But as the season wore on they really didn't get any better.

It's also not like DeRuyter doesn't have a good defensive coordinator reputation. He has coached some good defenses in the past. Oregon just kept giving up all the underneath routes that led to loads of yards. 

The "bend-not-break" defense really works best if paired with a high octane offense, allowing the defense hang back and take risks on creating turnovers. Cristobal's mediocre offense allowed the defense to get worn down and exposed all the time. Remember Andy Avalos' defense? It was predicated more on aggressive pressure, in some ways like what we saw in Lanning's defense tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:47 PM, kirklandduck said:

The "bend-not-break" defense really works best if paired with a high octane offense, allowing the defense hang back and take risks on creating turnovers. Cristobal's mediocre offense allowed the defense to get worn down and exposed all the time. Remember Andy Avalos' defense? It was predicated more on aggressive pressure, in some ways like what we saw in Lanning's defense tonight. 

I think Oregon is not far off from UGA as far as athletes on the defensive side of the ball with the exception of the D-Line (UGAs is undoubtedly superior there).  That said, I think the Ducks secondary was probably better player for player than UGAs this year so it'll be interesting seeing how effective and disruptive DL's aggressive blitzing defense is. 

I think the first couple of years it will take the PAC by storm because it will be so different and unfamiliar compared to what has been played in the conference for years.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope our D improves but to expect anything approaching what we just saw is a recipe for frustration a few years down the road when "he's new let him get his guys in" won't hold water anymore.  But hopefully the Oregon D will improve but we shall see.  

On 1/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What about Pharoah Brown. If he doesn't get hurt earlier that would of also been a nightmare problem for OS. Man all's I remember before he went out with that ugly injury he was tearing it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:47 PM, kirklandduck said:

Remember Andy Avalos' defense? It was predicated more on aggressive pressure, in some ways like what we saw in Lanning's defense tonight. 

Avalos' defense was pretty bend but don't break as well. It was a very good defense in 2019 but in 2020 it was pretty bad and played what felt like at the same level as the 2021 defense. 

I am very much looking forward to the Lanning defense. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon beefed up their D line but they were slow most of the year. It really showed up against Utah & Stanford. The SEC juggernauts are not only big but very quick. Last night really showed just how fast both teams were on the D side of the ball.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:37 PM, DCDuckfan said:

I think Oregon is not far off from UGA as far as athletes on the defensive side of the ball with the exception of the D-Line (UGAs is undoubtedly superior there).  That said, I think the Ducks secondary was probably better player for player than UGAs this year 

I like your optimism.  The defensive play on both sides was incredible. There isn't a team in the PAC that's even close. Oregon has a loooong way to go. Georgia has one of the best front 7s I've ever seen and their safety was the D MVP and an All-American? 

If we get half way there, I'll be ecstatic 

• Thumbs Up 1