30Duck

Thibodeaux: Why Oregon Set Him up for Life

You know the stigma of Alabama education?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Wow! KT being straight up about Nike’s green and yellow NIL brick road. Don’t know which is the better recruiting pitch, Lanning’s epic D wins a championship or this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

KT raises a great point about alumni hiring past college sports figures. It has been said many times it isn't the fact that you went to college, it is which college, and which connections you got while at college. 

Your network of friends, gained at this time, creates opportunities. 

I wouldn't doubt Nike would hire many Oregon athletes over other schools athletes if they had the same skillset, no doubt.

Nike will hire them to do what?

I know a person, highly qualified worker who has held some fine jobs and does hold one now.  20-25 years ago this person wanted very much to work for Nike, and applied for several jobs.  Got some interviews, but was never hired.  It is really competitive to get a job there.

I thought is was a very narrow (if not stupid) thing to say. Sure there is the Nike connection. But only Oregonians think a degree from UO matters to anyone more than any other. The rest of the world doesn't care about the west coast. 

Denigrating an Alabama degree is very Huskie of him 

I am a Duck grad but admit we are not a leading University. I thought it was great but what do I know?

According to US News Alabama ranked 148th and Oregon is 99th. Average starting salary for Bama grad $50K and $49K for Duck grad. 

Son goes to UCLA and they smoke both of these schools I have to admit ... lol.

Not sure ratings are all that accurate.

It is what you do with your degree, not necessarily where it is from.

Also, is the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact included in the rankings?  The Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact | University of Oregon (uoregon.edu)

This is a one-of-a-kind program.

Phil heavily recruited the advisors ... having custom Nikes presented to them (including specialized for a grandchild of one whom he researched had special needs) AND letting them know if they need ANYTHING to advance their research, he is a phone call and checkbook away at all times as opposed to normal educational red tape.

• Thanks 1

Looked at SAT scores to get in and average at Alabama is 1,184 and Oregon a point higher at 1,185 (a win is a win). Average GPA for Bama is 3.71% and Oregon 3.59% (but high school probably easier in Alabama). Both have high acceptance rates with Bama at 80% and Oregon at 83%. Oregon a clear winner overall!

UCLA average SAT 1,405 and GPA 3.9%. Acceptance rate only 14%. No wonder harder to recruit.

Edited by LADuck
  • Thanks 1

Know a guy who played at Alabama, then transferred to a school with much higher academic standards. Ended up transferring from the second because he didn't have enough credits to meet his class requirements because many of the Alabama classes were not accepted because they didn't meet the standards of the new school. Ended up playing D2 in the end. KT was smart to go to a place that set him up for a bright future, football or not.

I remember reading that some schools get higher ratings because their more esteemed professors do highly regarded research and write books. This is a great thing and impressive but the point was made that many of these professors rarely teach classes. So higher rating but no major impact on the actual students.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love me some KT, but all he did with this little faux pas was invite some 340lb All-Pro former Alabama OT to pancake him, then stand over him and say,  "Welcome to the League, Einstein"

On 1/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I love me some KT, but all he did with this little faux pas was invite some 340lb All-Pro former Alabama OT to pancake him, then stand over him and say,  "Welcome to the League, Einstein"

you mean just like they did to Justin Herbert?

Academia and football ??  I would bet every dollar that I have that there are "exceptions for highly ranked athletes at EVERY school.

I wouldnt lose a penny.