30Duck

Why Georgia's Win was Huge for Oregon? Recruiting!

Dan Lanning was the DC of Georgia's historic defense, and this article by Connor Muldowney Autzen Zoo explains how Georgia's championship is going to do so much at Oregon.

Oregon football: Dan Lanning's national title will be huge for recruiting

I didn't bother to read the article at the link. But I do find it interesting that Dan Lanning was almost invisible at the championship game, save for a brief glimpse after. Which is even more interesting given their demonstrated defensive (as opposed to academic) prowess. He was a more visible presence at the semi with Michigan.

I saw a lot of Kirby Smart prowling—or should I say running—the sidelines. And plenty of Saban, as usual. But where at a Clemson game there's always plenty of coverage of their DC and his very physical communication with the defensive unit, at last night's game I kept looking for something equivalent with Lanning. NADA.

Does anyone else find that curious?

I avoided ESPN's pregame so maybe I missed coverage of our new HC. That would have been nice ... and, given the outcome of the game, would not have hurt with Oregon recruiting. Of course, maybe I just happened to take a bathroom break at the wrong time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:34 PM, tee duke said:

Yes, I noticed and thought I was the only one--thanks for mentioning it.  So many times the OC or DC are bigger than life, and there is reference often to them.  Wouldn't you think that the DC of one of the best defenses ever in college football would be singled out?

BTW...you did not miss anything in the article.  He states the obvious that is in the title...

Mr. FishDuck

I figured Lanning was not in the post game because he was out of there.  Watched the whole thing and did not see him.  Of course in my aged condition, who knows?

I think it was more of ESPN highlighting the master v apprentice approach. They talked a lot about Sabin and Smart on the same sideline for all those years. It's the narrative they wanted. SEC teacher and student going head to head.

Lanning is now an outsider with him going to the Pac. ESPN knows the Lanning story is huge but would promote outside of The SEC if told at length. Can't have any of that. Can't have the elite prep intersted in the Ducks and jumping out of SEC.

I could be wrong though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Please duck fans this game was not about Dan Lanning.

It gives Dan Lanning a bit more validity. The next big step is to win as a head coach.

There are two things you need to have, a story you can tell, and a bomb proof story no one can attack. Right now coaches can state the obvious, Lanning has never been a head coach. 

Saban and Smart are bomb proof, no one can attack them for their lack of winning or experience.

I look forward to Dan Lanning's continued development as an extremely viable head coach. Being the DC of a National Champ is just one step.

Congrats to Dan Lanning, now it is time to continue to be the hardest, and smartest working head coach we have ever had!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, Haywarduck said:

It gives Dan Lanning a bit more validity. The next big step is to win as a head coach.

There are two things you need to have, a story you can tell, and a bomb proof story no one can attack. Right now coaches can state the obvious, Lanning has never been a head coach. 

Saban and Smart are bomb proof, no one can attack them for their lack of winning or experience.

I look forward to Dan Lanning's continued development as an extremely viable head coach. Being the DC of a National Champ is just one step.

Congrats to Dan Lanning, now it is time to continue to be the hardest, and smartest working head coach we have ever had!

Dan's next and 1st game as a HC is not a layup. Where is the Portland State game in week zero before playing 'at' Georgia?

In  fairness, I did not see much of Bama OC Bill Orien. Perhaps because a Bama receiver dropped a TD after a 13 minute drive with the subsequent FG blocked and the Heisman winner later missing a wide open receiver in the end zone.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Dan's next and 1st game as a HC is not a layup. Where is the Portland State game in week zero before playing 'at' Georgia?

In  fairness, I did not see much of Bama OC Bill Orien. Perhaps because a Bama receiver dropped a TD after a 13 minute drive with the subsequent FG blocked and the Heisman winner later missing a wide open receiver in the end zone.

Reflect on that one, your first game as a head coach, on the road, #1 team in the nation, your old team, with a team you have no connections with, and an all new coaching staff.

Any of those variables would give anyone in Vegas caution, but many are thinking Lanning has a chance. I never pick against the Ducks, but I never bet. I hope we are understanding of Lanning's learning curve and the road ahead.

I really wonder if anything is going to be huge for Oregon going forward. I tend to think there will a lot if incremental moves forward, and a few backward.

I do think the program which has helped create multiple great coaches is still alive and well. The question I have is, do we have a fanbase which understand the process and will support it?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

I never pick against the Ducks, but I never bet.

I can't even pick against the Ducks in our Predict the Score. But, right now I have a better feeling about the Ducks in this one than I did for their chances at tOSU.  A game for Oregon before this one would probably be good, the most improvement between 1 to 2, but it would be the same for Georgia.

Get them as early as possible. If either of these teams will have any complacency it would be the defending Champ going against the runner-up of the Pac-12. After it's over, the Ducks will have a game to gauge themselves with, I think more usefully than Portland State would have done, and it will either be a great win, or a "very good loss."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, 30Duck said:

I think more usefully than Portland State would have done, and it will either be a great win, or a "very good loss."

And our second game is against a team that waxed PSU last year. The schedule can be looked as favorable, but there aren't any Portland State type games until we play the dawgs in November.

I will also say an embarrassing loss can't be looked upon as a good loss. The game against Georgia will be watched by many, and will begin to define the Lanning era. It is a chance to get off with a very good first step, but that isn't guaranteed, at all. 

I continue to wear my green glasses, but am trying to be as realistic as possible. We need have an upside to our expectations, says the 12-0 prediction guy!

On 1/12/2022 at 9:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

And our second game is against a team that waxed PSU last year. The schedule can be looked as favorable, but there aren't any Portland State type games until we play the dawgs in November.

I will also say an embarrassing loss can't be looked upon as a good loss. The game against Georgia will be watched by many, and will begin to define the Lanning era. It is a chance to get off with a very good first step, but that isn't guaranteed, at all. 

I continue to wear my green glasses, but am trying to be as realistic as possible. We need have an upside to our expectations, says the 12-0 prediction guy!

Lanning is going to have to put way more beef on the line to have a chance against Ga.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will also say an embarrassing loss can't be looked upon as a good loss.

Indeed, getting blown out would not a good loss make.

UGA's starting units will look much different after graduations and early departures. If anybody knows the weaknesses to their defensive schemes, Lanning does. Nobody will have any game film on UO's offense. Let's not put up the white flag just yet.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think it was more of ESPN highlighting the master v apprentice approach. They talked a lot about Sabin and Smart on the same sideline for all those years. It's the narrative they wanted. SEC teacher and student going head to head.

Lanning is now an outsider with him going to the Pac. ESPN knows the Lanning story is huge but would promote outside of The SEC if told at length. Can't have any of that. Can't have the elite prep intersted in the Ducks and jumping out of SEC.

I could be wrong though.

No your not! I did hear them say that Fowler and Herb's mention what the Ducks were getting and mentioned his name 3 times. They said Oregon was going to get something special basically so that's good enough for me. I have looked at all the video's and didn't see Dan. That's ok because he will be getting his just do as soon as next season and especially say if the Ducks go 11-1 regular season and make the playoff's. They'll be talking about him and the Ducks whether they like it or not. Also Oregon especially this year was talked about highly until the end.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, 30Duck said:

I can't even pick against the Ducks in our Predict the Score. But, right now I have a better feeling about the Ducks in this one than I did for their chances at tOSU.  A game for Oregon before this one would probably be good, the most improvement between 1 to 2, but it would be the same for Georgia.

Get them as early as possible. If either of these teams will have any complacency it would be the defending Champ going against the runner-up of the Pac-12. After it's over, the Ducks will have a game to gauge themselves with, I think more usefully than Portland State would have done, and it will either be a great win, or a "very good loss."

That's funny I new we would beat OS as I thought we got the players and we are 0-9 against them so we are bound to win one sooner or later. So said we would win and we looked good doing it in their house. Then the wheels basically fell off against Stanford. Georgia though I'm not so sure we win that one. If we do awesome then Lanning will be called the Magician in his first season as HC. So if we go 11-1 that would be like saying TWO new QBs and which ever one the use and I hope Thompson beats Nix out they would have to be impressed the media.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:34 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

. They said Oregon was going to get something special basically so that's good enough for me

This is what I heard to, and more importantly as the article suggests, When Lanning hits the recruiting trail for years to come, he'll be able to flash a national title ring and point to the defense he helped nuild in Athens for a few years.  It's going to wonders for recruiting and we're going to see the benefits of this national title almost immediately. 

Back in the Chip Kelly Era I don't recall seeing Nick Alioti much on ESPN except a brief shot or two in the coaches box. Everything was about Chip's go-go uptempo offense. The story and theater in the Alabama-Georgia match up was Saban and Kirby, master vs former pupil. I didn't see it as Lanning becoming suddenly invisible because he was going to leave SEC country on a flight to Eugene the next morning. DL going to coach Oregon was mentioned a few times.

"The story and theater in the Alabama-Georgia match up was Saban and Kirby, master vs former pupil."  Yes, that is the story that was told.  The story I saw on my TV screen was Bulldog defensive players in the 'Bama backfield chasing a Heisman Trophy winner until he was totally worn out.  Anybody who thinks Lanning was not the major contributor to the win Monday evening was not watching the game I saw.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought I saw DL on the sideline at least once.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, 30Duck said:

I don't see a warm up game as being the same? UGA will be running the same system on O and D and without that much coaching turnover.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't see a warm up game as being the same? UGA will be running the same system on O and D and without that much coaching turnover.

Yes, and for that I say it is in Oregon's favor to play Georgia before the Dawgs have a warm- up game?

On 1/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes, and for that I say it is in Oregon's favor to play Georgia before the Dawgs have a warm- up game?

I understand your point my friend, but in combat on enemy terrain I'll take seasoned troops under a known command structure over the newest of newbies fighting under a new command. 

Unfortunately, I have seen this movie before.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I understand your point my friend, but in combat on enemy terrain I'll take seasoned troops under a known command structure over the newest of newbies fighting under a new command. 

Unfortunately, I have seen this movie before.

An inexperienced coach urged to jump into the deep end...

What could possibly go WRONG?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Hope this is not too out of line, but I'd jump too!

In his media time today, Lanning said he was on a video call to an Oregon recruit while in the tunnel on his way out of the stadium.

Stud.

Edited by Duck1984

On 1/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

I remember my sons coach saying these kids are too good for kids their age, needed more competition. He signed them up to play a group of older kids. What went wrong, the younger kids go injured. If you don't stack up size wise there is the potential to get hurt.

I will be happy if we just don't get run over, demoralized and injured. I doubt there will be national champ let down, more like a hungry, healthy team ready to play in front of their crowd. 

Interestingly the last time Georgia won a national title in 1980 Cal came to Georgia to play them the second game of the 1981 season. The soon to be 2-9 Cal team played them decently and lost 27-13. I would be ecstatic with that type of outcome. In Georgia first game of 1981 they waxed Tennesse 44-0, yikes.

I don't like to predict game outcomes and scores but like most of us I always pull for the Ducks.

I have few expectations for the Georgia game but the one thing I would most like to see during the whole 2022 season is aggressiveness in all three aspects of the game: offense, defense, and special teams. The Bulldogs showed it in spades. THAT's what I'd like to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, tee duke said:

I didn't bother to read the article at the link. But I do find it interesting that Dan Lanning was almost invisible at the championship game, save for a brief glimpse after. Which is even more interesting given their demonstrated defensive (as opposed to academic) prowess. He was a more visible presence at the semi with Michigan.

I saw a lot of Kirby Smart prowling—or should I say running—the sidelines. And plenty of Saban, as usual. But where at a Clemson game there's always plenty of coverage of their DC and his very physical communication with the defensive unit, at last night's game I kept looking for something equivalent with Lanning. NADA.

I avoided ESPN's pregame so maybe I missed coverage of our new HC. That would have been nice ... and, given the outcome of the game, would not have hurt with Oregon recruiting. Of course, maybe I just happened to take a bathroom break at the wrong time.

They twice mentioned that Lanning would be the new Oregon coach at the end of the game, and remarked about the irony of him coaching against Georgia in his first game as Oregon's HC.  They showed Lanning on the screen while mentioning him both times.