FishDuck Article

How Dan Lanning and Lincoln Riley Can Balance College Football

“How do we fix college football?”  That’s the prevailing question just a couple of days removed from yet another all-SEC title game. The 2021 season provided more parity than usual; Michigan and Cincinnati both made their College Football Playoff debuts. But if three particular teams continue to outpace the rest of the country in recruiting, this season will be an ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article and great points; for all the competition we will have with USC....if both schools keep the West Coast talent home--Oregon and USC will prosper and the conference will benefit.  Thanks Joshua!

Mr. FishDuck

Another terrific article Joshua, but why bother with the SEC and the G5?

When OK and TX formally join the SEC, only 5 SEC member schools will be AAU member institutions. Why compete against a conference where athletics 'Just Mean More' than academics. A conference where A+M just paid $70M+  to sign the number 1 recruiting class. 

As I have suggested before, come 2026, the year after this so-called "playoff" ends, the ACC, B1G, Pac-12 and Notre Dame should conduct their own post-season Run For The Roses Tournament.

The field in 2021 (no conference with more than 3 entrants) would have been as follows with 3 conference champs and 5 at large making up the field.

8 Wake Forest at 1 Michigan

5 Utah at 4 Michigan State

Semifinal played in Indianapolis

7 Oregon at 2 Notre Dame

6 Pitt at 3 Ohio State

Semifinal played in Las Vegas

Championship Game in Rose Bowl on 1/1 - 5 PM kickoff.

Kickoff the season in what is now referred to as 'week zero,' half teams bye week 6, the other half week 7. 2 OOC games with at least 1 vs a P5 opponent. 10 conference games. No divisions, no conference champ game, champ decided in the regular season using agreed upon tie-breakers as may be required. Notre Dame to play 11 P5 games out of 12. NIL agreements arranged to compensate players participating in The Run For The Roses. Loss of Income Insurance provided for all players.

As much money without the SEC in the mix? No. But CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. would pay significant money for the postseason media rights. No ESPN? So what?

4 and 5 stars head for the SEC? Who cares. There will be parity among the participating conferences and Notre Dame. (The B12's participation would be decided upon by Alliance members.) Clemson, FSU leave for the SEC? Again, who cares? I see no circumstance under which Ohio State would leave the B1G.

Conferences contracting to play one another in certain bowls have not be held to be and IMO would not be held to be in violation of antitrust laws. The Alliance would regulate CFB in conformance with state and federal law but free of the NCAA.

I for one prefer this alternative over continuing to participate in the CFB arms race. The SEC has built the better CFB mousetrap. The smart mice should stop coming around.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Both Oregon and SC need to put a compelling team on the field. Under Cristoball we were at risk of turning off the Oregon identity and brand, sc's was on life support. 

Georgia is all about their stifling defense. Alabama has become an offensive juggernaut, along with a compelling defense. The tosu program is just about having swagger, and it is a pretty good school.

Oregon needs to create excitement about who they are going forward. Do student athletes want to be the next Anthony Brown, or really any of our players on offense? Same can be said about the sc offense, maybe a receiver for the trojans, but no longer do they have a top RB.

I agree it is about recruiting and balancing the recruiting, but it is also about turning the lights back on with our program. If the light shines bright enough people will want to watch no matter what time the games are on. 

Lanning's job is to get the talent, and turn the power back on with the program with an exciting product. The rest will take care of itself, that is the Oregon way! 

The focus on recruiting is great, but turning the product on the field back into can't miss tv has to be job 1. Recruit, develop and create a compelling product on the field, and keep it growing!

• Thumbs Up 3

Alabama/UGA title game. 2nd least watched game in Playoff history. 

Along with Dart, SC's starting TE is in the portal. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 1/12/2022 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Alabama/UGA title game. 2nd least watched game in Playoff history. 

Which is number one? 

On 1/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, Quackanadian said:

Which is number one? 

Last season's 'COVID' champ Game. Lowest rated BCS champ game was Oklahoma vs USC.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Last season's 'COVID' champ Game. Lowest rated BCS champ game was Oklahoma vs USC.

Ah... the 55 to 13 blow out or whatever the score was.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, Quackanadian said:

Ah... the 55 to 13 blow out or whatever the score was.

Later negated by Reggie Bush taking 'extra benefits' that would be perfectly legal today.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

“How do we fix college football?”  That’s the prevailing question just a couple of days removed from yet another all-SEC title game. The 2021 season provided more parity than usual; Michigan and Cincinnati both made their College Football Playoff debuts. But if three particular teams continue to outpace the rest of the country in recruiting, this season will be an ...

Read the full article here...

As usual a great piece by Josh. We are gonna see real soon how good or great Dan and his staff are gonna be. I believe they will be even better than you know who.

Great article Joshua. I see a lot to this but also think that Haywarduck has a good point about putting a great product on the field. The great products of the past are the reason I am an Oregon fan today (and I think you are the same Joshua). Of course Cristobal made a lot of recruiting progress at Oregon, but I think that the teams he had on the field may have been the reason he didn't get over the hump with some 5 * guys that ended up at places like Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. Great recruiters are made even better when players are excited to play the kind of football they coach.

There is no reason Oregon can't have top 5 classes, maybe not every year, but often. Some argue, that USC has a better chance at that because, well it's in LA and who wants to go to Eugene. Well let me make that argument this way, who wants to go to Athens, Tuscaloosa or Columbus, Ohio? The program and the kind of football we play along with the hard work of the coaches recruiting will bring the players. Lanning seems to have put together a staff full of great recruiters, now put a great product on the field and see what happens. I'm very optimistic.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2022 at 6:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

Recruit, develop and create a compelling product on the field, and keep it growing!

Completely agree. To get a product on the field that can play exciting, top level football today, not only do you need to play an exciting brand, you need the best players. This is what Saban, after railing against the up tempo tide, embraced it. and recruited the players, Alabama won the last two Heisman's with a WR, and QB.

Both Oregon and SC need to put a compelling team on the field. Under Cristoball we were at risk of turning off the Oregon identity and brand, sc's was on life support. 

Georgia is all about their stifling defense. Alabama has become an offensive juggernaut, along with a compelling defense. The tosu program is just about having swagger, and it is a pretty good school.

Oregon needs to create excitement about who they are going forward. Do student athletes want to be the next Anthony Brown, or really any of our players on offense? Same can be said about the sc offense, maybe a receiver for the trojans, but not longer do they have a top RB.

I agree it is about recruiting and balancing the recruiting, but it is also about turning the lights back on with our program. If the light shines bright enough people will want to watch no matter what time the games are on. 

Lanning's job is to get the talent, and turn the power back on with the program with an exciting product. The rest will take care of itself, that is the Oregon way! 

The focus on recruiting is great, but turning the product on the field back into can't miss tv has to be job 1. Recruit, develop and create a compelling product on the field, and keep it growing!

I have a great feeling about the direction of this team. I believe with the money they spent on his staff then that's saying you have the backing to get this done. Taggart recruited well, Mario somewhat at least evolved enough to give two PAC 12 Championship's. Now Lanning to me is a upgrade by 100. He will get Oregon right back up and on top. I believe this is the guy. They went out and paid out the most they've ever shelled out for Tosh as our new DC. Now pay for players and I want to see if Oregon truly wants to win it all. So far call me impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

A conference where A+M just paid $70M+  to sign the number 1 recruiting class. 

They should officially change their name from Texas A&M to Texas ATM.

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2022 at 7:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Later negated by Reggie Bush taking 'extra benefits' that would be perfectly legal today.

I would add acceptable, no actually.............. expected down south, for decades.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, 30Duck said:

This is what Saban, after railing against the up tempo tide, embraced it. and recruited the players, Alabama won the last two Heisman's with a WR, and QB.

Couldn’t agree more. The challenge for Lanning is to mirror Saban’s strategy, but not approach it as recreating, but simply to reclaim our offensive identity.  Saban’s task was to maintain and not lose his defensive identity edge while in the process of establishing a new offensive image. Lanning’s  job is a bit the opposite: to create a new defensive identity while at the same time reclaiming our offensive image that is already their in the minds of recruits.

Edited by Washington Waddler
Spelling

On 1/12/2022 at 1:08 PM, OhioDuck said:

Great article Joshua. I see a lot to this but also think that Haywarduck has a good point about putting a great product on the field. The great products of the past are the reason I am an Oregon fan today (and I think you are the same Joshua). Of course Cristobal made a lot of recruiting progress at Oregon, but I think that the teams he had on the field may have been the reason he didn't get over the hump with some 5 * guys that ended up at places like Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. Great recruiters are made even better when players are excited to play the kind of football they coach.

There is no reason Oregon can't have top 5 classes, maybe not every year, but often. Some argue, that USC has a better chance at that because, well it's in LA and who wants to go to Eugene. Well let me make that argument this way, who wants to go to Athens, Tuscaloosa or Columbus, Ohio? The program and the kind of football we play along with the hard work of the coaches recruiting will bring the players. Lanning seems to have put together a staff full of great recruiters, now put a great product on the field and see what happens. I'm very optimistic.

Athens my friend is cherry. A terrific college town close to Atlanta.

Andrew Nemec has a great take in his podcast Ducks attack transfer portal; Beavers juggling scholarships: The Recruiting Trail podcast - oregonlive.com

That there are more "star power" offensive players in the West than defensive and that Lanning should have the edge with D recruits.   So, Riley's edge in the offensive area wouldn't be as significant as Lanning's in the defensive area.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Another terrific article Joshua, but why bother with the SEC and the G5?

When OK and TX formally join the SEC, only 5 SEC member schools will be AAU member institutions. Why compete against a conference where athletics 'Just Mean More' than academics. A conference where A+M just paid $70M+  to sign the number 1 recruiting class. 

As I have suggested before, come 2026, the year after this so-called "playoff" ends, the ACC, B1G, Pac-12 and Notre Dame should conduct their own post-season Run For The Roses Tournament.

The field in 2021 (no conference with more than 3 entrants) would have been as follows with 3 conference champs and 5 at large making up the field.

8 Wake Forest at 1 Michigan

5 Utah at 4 Michigan State

Semifinal played in Indianapolis

7 Oregon at 2 Notre Dame

6 Pitt at 3 Ohio State

Semifinal played in Las Vegas

Championship Game in Rose Bowl on 1/1 - 5 PM kickoff.

Kickoff the season in what is now referred to as 'week zero,' half teams bye week 6, the other half week 7. 2 OOC games with at least 1 vs a P5 opponent. 10 conference games. No divisions, no conference champ game, champ decided in the regular season using agreed upon tie-breakers as may be required. Notre Dame to play 11 P5 games out of 12. NIL agreements arranged to compensate players participating in The Run For The Roses. Loss of Income Insurance provided for all players.

As much money without the SEC in the mix? No. But CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. would pay significant money for the postseason media rights. No ESPN? So what?

4 and 5 stars head for the SEC? Who cares. There will be parity among the participating conferences and Notre Dame. (The B12's participation would be decided upon by Alliance members.) Clemson, FSU leave for the SEC? Again, who cares? I see no circumstance under which Ohio State would leave the B1G.

Conferences contracting to play one another in certain bowls have not be held to be and IMO would not be held to be in violation of antitrust laws. The Alliance would regulate CFB in conformance with state and federal law but free of the NCAA.

I for one prefer this alternative over continuing to participate in the CFB arms race. The SEC has built the better CFB mousetrap. The smart mice should stop coming around.

Jon, terrific insight as always. I just don’t think we need to change the college football infrastructure to nerf the SEC. I think the easiest way to balance the sport is for many other premier programs to simply pull their weight. There’s no reason Michigan should be a a clear second fiddle to Ohio state in recruiting, likewise USC should be owning the west. Texas shouldn’t be letting Texas A&M take the state from them.

I think there have been monumental recruiting failures from many former blue-blood programs and that more than anything has allowed a select few programs to dominate the landscape.

Oregon needs to create excitement about who they are going forward. Do student athletes want to be the next Anthony Brown, or really any of our players on offense? Same can be said about the sc offense, maybe a receiver for the trojans, but no longer do they have a top RB.

Hayward, this is a great point and it leads us to a great discussion on whether this is a “chicken or egg” scenario.

Elite recruits want to go to schools that create draft prospects, and the schools that generate NFL players generally do so because they sign the best prospects. To break the cycle, a school has to stand out and do something different from everyone else. Oregon used to be that school. If it can regain that reputation under Lanning, the recruits will follow.

Edited by Steven A
typo
  • Thanks 1