30Duck

Stanford: Going from Bad to Worse

Well, Oregon just lost two running backs to the portal so we have room.  Just kidding.

• Haha 1

Stanford has been hit the hardest of anyone by the transfer portal. They only lose talent to it and never pick any up.

Their academic requirements require players to be able to enroll by their grades alone. Follow up with no guarantee that they can take a master's program as they have to apply and be accepted on their non football merits. 

That in itself shuts down any grad transfers and anyone else who may be interested if they don't have their grades high enough. 

The result is they lose talent to the portal but can't really gain any talent from it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazing how many running backs are in the portal.

If the Ducks lose Verdell and Dye to the draft they will need some running back help for sure.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:13 PM, David Marsh said:

Stanford has been hit the hardest of anyone by the transfer portal. They only lose talent to it and never pick any up.

Their academic requirements require players to be abel to enroll by their grades alone. Follow up with no guarantee that they can take a master's program as they ha r to apply and be accepted on their non football merits. 

That in itself shuts down any grad transfers and any one else who may be interested if they don't have their grades high enough. 

The result is they lose talent to the portal but can't really gain any talent from it. 

Oh the mighty Ivy League West!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they want to play in front of more people than stray dogs?

I'm a bit tired of the Stanford academic requirements being used as an issue for them.  For the most part, yes they have high standards, but not everybody is a 4.0 student with nearly perfect SAT/ACT scores that plays sports for them.  Back in the 90's Stanford had at least some classes that allowed you to drop a class up to the final week of the term and not have it count against your GPA.  Not sure if they still have those classes around.

I honestly don't think their athletes have the same rigourous review.  No, they aren't going to accept kids who barely passed high school, but to think every one of their kids is a valedictorian is silly.  I think they like using that as an excuse.

Have a lot of Stanford buddies and they feel that Shaw, who is the highest paid Pac 12 coach,  is kind of sitting back and taking it easy and not out there recruiting llke he should.  There are easily 25 outstanding players every year that have the academic ability as well as athletic ability to attend Stanford.  

Over the years Stanford has had some outstanding teams.  The attendance is not what it should be, but they do very well when playing UCLA, SC, Notre Dame and surprisingly Oregon.  I've attended 3 Stanford-Duck games at Palo Alto in the last 8 years and attendance was quite good, however I always felt there were more Duck fans than Stanford fans.