David Marsh

Benson to the Portal

this is really starting to smell like the return of at least one of Dye and Verdell. 

Bronson and Dollars in the portal ... That leaves Cardwell and McGee for sure ... But I'd bet we have either Dye or Verdell or both next year. Otherwise that is 0 depth with no additional running backs coming in as recruits this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The bottom of the depth chart at RB and QB are looking to the exits. I wouldn't be surprised to see Delgado head that way.

If student athletes are not playing then many are seeing the portal light on.

I hope we don't lose too many as we need a full roster for the long season ahead. I do wish them all the best of luck with where they end up, and don't forget about that ejukashun!

On 1/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Haywarduck said:

I hope we don't lose too many as we need a full roster for the long season ahead. I do wish them all the best of luck with where they end up, and don't forget about that ejukashun!

Sad reality is that it might be a good thing ... Allows Lanning to get some more players he wants. 

But if we suffer anywhere near the injuries we did this year... The lack of depth is a major cause for concern. 

Injuries aside, CJ seems ahead of the transferring running backs, and Dye is a warrior.

The new OC may also have some players he would like to bring onboard.

As the youngsters learned, you have to earn your playing time early, or you end up watching from the sideline.  

Edited by Duck1984

Entering the portal is not a guarantee that a player will be picked up is it?

Is anyone aware of any research as to how many kids put their name in the portal and never play another down of college football?

Dye spoke so highly of Benson, saying he was going be one of the best RBs that Oregon has EVER seen.  So I can't understand how Cardwell got the nod over Benson, while Benson rode the bench for most of the season.

Did the coaches get it wrong or did Dye?  I would hate for the coaches to let one of the best RBs to slip through their fingers and then play for another team.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, PittDuck said:

Entering the portal is not a guarantee that a player will be picked up is it?

No... Most lose their scholarship and don't find a new home. So for many it is the end of the line for their scholarships entirely. 

• Thanks 1

Really sadden over Benson leaving ☹️.  I think do to injuries he never was able to get a good footing in showing what he can do.  I agree with Dye that Benson was going to be one of Oregon's best RBs.

Sorry to see that so many players think the transfer portal is going to give them greener pastures.  Sadden to see so many might get lost in the portal and never find a landing spot.  The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Let's hope coach L is able to get great players needed through the portal and recruits by the Feb. time period.

Looking forward to the new coaching staff bringing bright future for Oregon.  Go Ducks!!

The portal is a revolving door. One goes out while another comes in. Ducks will be fine.

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence just because there’s more manure over there.

• Haha 1