cartm25

BREAKING: Travis Dye Enters Transfer Portal

Likely means Verdell is coming back for his 12th year? 

• Haha 2

This is very surprising to me. Why?

Explicative deleted!

• Haha 1

He is leaving a 10 win team that has superb upside for next year; where is he going to go and "be-the-man" where the same opportunity exists?

I am running out of players I can put in my background photo for the forum that shows up on Desktops.  Can't use Brown, or Devon Williams, or Mykael Wright and now not Dye?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest willville

Watch him wind up at Miami. 

Agree, the Dye family has been the heartbeat of the Oregon Football Program for a while. Seeing any Dye in another uniform just wouldn't be right. 

I do agree recruiting is telling student athletes about the opportunities within the program. That opportunity is to compete against the others at your position. I don't get where the ultimate competitor isn't ok with that scenario.

This one just hurts

• Thanks 1

"Dear coach... promise me I'm your guy. Or else?"

This is getting silly, in a way. Having to spend valuable recruiting time on proven players who are jumping into the portal?

Lanning has done a great job with it so far. But it's beginning to look like some of these guys may be playing "chicken" with the coaches. 

Duck fans love the heart, grit, and determination the DYE bros have brought to this team. Nobody has worked harder.

SMH...

I wish him the best I really do, I'm just excited hopefully like QB I want fresh running backs that can see day lite and gone like the good ol days. It just hasn't gotten my blood up to par. If this will truly be an open competition at all positions then may the best player at each position pony on up. I would certainly hope we will see both sides barring injury play like monsters every second of the game then business will take care of itself. So in the top for defense and offense efficiently like top 1 or 2 in the PAC 12 next season would be a heck of a right turn.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, woundedknees said:

"Dear coach... promise me I'm your guy. Or else?"

This is getting silly, in a way. Having to spend valuable recruiting time on proven players who are jumping into the portal?

Lanning has done a great job with it so far. But it's beginning to look like some of these guys may be playing "chicken" with the coaches.

Hope not!

Travis Dye may be on the smaller side physically, and he isn’t the fastest, but he plays with more heart and effort than any running back I can think of since LaMichael James.

Always will love Dye.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I had thought that Travis might opt to go to the NFL, his decision to enter the portal is a total surprise to me. I wish him luck in whatever he does, but would love to see him change his mind and stay at OR for his final year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, willville said:

seems very possible, or Akron  

I suppose we'll have to wait and see how good this new group of coaches is at evaluating talent and choosing which players they see as best at each position.

Hard to imagine not seeing TD as a top RB based on his on field, in game performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one's a bit shocking! Even if Verdell is coming back, Dye proved this year he can compete for reps with anyone. I could see him leaving to earn a pay check in the NFL, but transferring now is puzzling.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one makes my head hurt...

Granted I don't feel like Oregon will be gutted from this. I think we were all expecting the end of the Verdell-Dye era this year so I feel we have some good options in Cardwell, Dollars and McGee... however, if Oregon is only down to those three players then we REALLY need another running back because there is no depth.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, Duck1984 said:

Travis Dye may be on the smaller side physically, and he isn’t the fastest, but he plays with more heart and effort than any running back I can think of since LaMichael James.

Always will love Dye.

Yeah seemed like Travis Dye always picked up 2-3 more yards than any average running back would on a given play and always one of the smartest players on the field.  Hard to imagine he would leave unless for the NFL draft (?)

This is so confusing to me as to "What in the World is he Thinking?"  Wish he made this decision before Benson decided to leave.  Maybe Benson would have stayed.

I can not figure out why so many players think transfer portal is such a great idea?  Here's hoping maybe coach L can pull a great running back from the portal (maybe the two running backs from Stanford?).

Edited by NJDuck

I imagine we will know the real reason eventually, but I cannot help but wonder if he did not mesh with the new RB coach, or perhaps did not like hearing how, "every job is open" and he has to win the spot back again?

Or with Verdell returning--he doesn't want to split time?

Maybe he is showing his hand to allow other RBs to make a better decision?

I agree with David Marsh; it makes my heart hurt.  Nobody exemplifies "Ducks" like Travis, so I guess the legacy will Dye after all.

Mr. FishDuck

Is what we are seeing the corrupting by players of what was originally intended to be a simple, one time  side-ways move, into a form of leveraging playing power by playing the old program off against a potential new one, thereby transforming the Portal into a portal-ploy to gain traction or guarantees? God, I hope not.

Dye benefited  the most from Mario's plodding offensive scheme. His many impressive runs carrying two to three defenders an extra few yards made the offense look much better than it actually was. Bringing in a new spread offense designed to generate explosion plays won't highlight his skill set.

I personally think leaving for the pros while the iron's hot would be the best decision. Moving to a struggling offensive team would also make sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

I realize that the Ducks have to manage scholarships, and suspect Dye has a degree.

Dye is already in the NFL evaluation process, and may be looking at plan B and C options if new coaches have told him that he has to compete for his spot again.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, willville said:

Hey a 6-6 season under the palms sounds nice?

This one is mind boggling for sure.

His numbers came with a lopsided heavy to almost exclusively run run pass punt offense. Do the tea leaves point to more of a pass heavy offense?  Maybe a big name RB is entering the portal and word is out inside the program. Either way, this seems to come out of left field. Seems...

Just occurred to me that program supporters (boosters) may be working on NIL deals for recruits that existing players may not be offered.  

Is Dye merely negotiating to get his piece of NIL funding?

Don't believe Travis has the speed and size for running back or receiver in NFL. LaMichael had the speed but not the size.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I imagine we will know the real reason eventually, but I cannot help but wonder if he did not mesh with the new RB coach, or perhaps did not like hearing how, "every job is open" and he has to win the spot back again?

Or with Verdell returning--he doesn't want to split time?

Maybe he is showing his hand to allow other RBs to make a better decision?

I agree with David Marsh; it makes my heart hurt.  Nobody exemplifies "Ducks" like Travis, so I guess the legacy will Dye after all.

$$$$$$$? By entering the portal Dye will be a valuable "NIL" commodity. If Oregon keeps his scholarship in place, he could return to play for Oregon and make more money doing so.

The kids today, as is their right, all have agents. Folks advising them how to leverage their worth as soon as possible. Happening everywhere. WAZZU set up a bunch of NIL deals to get new QB Cameron Ward. CFB coaches are going to have to re-recruit their roster every year.

CFB is the NFL. The team does matter but what I am being paid matters more. However, the NFL does regulate free agency and caps what a team is able to pay its players.

Maybe he is getting paid by UCLA or SC to 'come home?" Maybe he wants to play for a school with a far better chance to make the Final 4 than does any Pac-12 team?

But the 'why' really does not matter. THIS is now the rule and not the exception. The way of life today when players sit out even 'big bowl' games in favor of 'the merchandise' over their teammates.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, Duck1984 said:

Just occurred to me that program supporters (boosters) may be working on NIL deals for recruits that existing players may not be offered.  

Is Dye merely negotiating to get his piece of NIL funding?

YOU BROKE THE CODE. THIS is going on all over the place as is roster tampering. And rosters with new coaches who did not recruit the players are being tampered with the most.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bit of a head scratcher this one. Staying in the draft till the last second, sure, but going elsewhere for a final season? I can't imagine that the new offensive scheme under Dillingham wouldn't use Dye's skill set. Maybe it is a problem with the new RB coach. 

Dye will be missed. What do we know about CJ Verdell?

The simplest possible explanation is likely the best one.  CJ might be leaning towards coming back and Dye doesn't want to be stuck behind him again.  Travis has shown in spades that he can be the primary back and in my opinion, is the more talented of the two.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:21 PM, kirklandduck said:

The simplest possible explanation is likely the best one.  CJ might be leaning towards coming back and Dye doesn't want to be stuck behind him again.  Travis has shown in spades that he can be the primary back and in my opinion, is the more talented of the two.

Occam's Razor = it's about the $.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

$$$$$$$? By entering the portal Dye will be a valuable "NIL" commodity. If Oregon keeps his scholarship in place, he could return to play for Oregon and make more money doing so.

I think this is probably the biggest reason for Dye.

I think he has heard some NFL feedback in some way, shape or form and has basically heard you are on the smaller side for the league. You may be a late round draft pick but may be relegated to a practice squad and struggle to get on the field. 

Trying to leverage his last year in college and get some NIL money could be the most reliable way he gets paid for his football career. If that is the reasoning... then Oregon donors get this kid some NIL money.

• Thumbs Up 3

Played all four years - check

Got his degree - check

Proved he could be a lead back - check

Maybe just wants to be his own man?

Maybe doesn't want to split time anymore?

I wish he'd stay, but I wish him luck 

• Thumbs Up 1

Per Oregonlive Dye is leaving the door open for returning to the UO.  Quite likely just testing the waters...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, Orebcker said:

Quite likely just testing the waters

image.jpeg.dad918e19b4cce9b28d0b5f03a2656f7.jpeg

• Haha 1

Guest Axel

I was disappointed to learn that Travis Dye entered the transfer portal, but I'm heartened by his leaving the door open to remain with the Ducks. The next few weeks promise to be chaotic and confusing. It's a good initial test for Coach Lanning and his assistants to solidify existing relationships, while recruiting other highly talented players to Eugene. 

Edited by Axel

On 1/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am running out of players I can put in my background photo for the forum that shows up on Desktops.  Can't use Brown, or Devon Williams, or Mykael Wright and now not Dye?

As much as I despise the term, "the new normal," I think this is likely the new normal. I think it's primarily difficult for us "old guys." I'm really not interested in Kavon's NFT; I'm not even sure I really know what it is. (Good for him, though.) I like to root for guys on my team, who--according to my standards--play the game the "right way." With this new, increased level of player movement, I'll likely transition to just rooting for my team and a bunch of "nameless" guys who happen to be on the field on any given play. 

I'm not saying the transfer portal is a bad thing. It certainly proved beneficial for guys like Terry Wilson and Braxton Burmeister. But, there are also guys who came to Eugene with sterling high school credentials, didn't play for the Ducks, transferred to another school, and now aren't playing for that school, either. Maybe these guys will eventually end up with a college degree out of the process, but I'm not sure the transfer portal was any real benefit to them.

The basic rule for job hunting is "Never leave the good job you have until you're sure you have a better one tied down."  As far as I know, there are no limits on coaches recruiting from another team's roster.  Dye may already have his next slot in place.

Another possibility is that Dye has not been able to secure a NIL from any Oregon backers, so he is opening his talents up to the highest bidder.

We don't know where CFB is headed, much less where it's going to be as early as next fall. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, 30Duck said:

image.jpeg.dad918e19b4cce9b28d0b5f03a2656f7.jpeg

Where's the photo of Scrooge McDuck?

On 1/14/2022 at 12:26 PM, WiseKwacker said:

As much as I despise the term, "the new normal," I think this is likely the new normal. I think it's primarily difficult for us "old guys." I'm really not interested in Kavon's NFT; I'm not even sure I really know what it is. (Good for him, though.) I like to root for guys on my team, who--according to my standards--play the game the "right way." With this new, increased level of player movement, I'll likely transition to just rooting for my team and a bunch of "nameless" guys who happen to be on the field on any given play. 

Pretty much summarizes how I view basketball now.  I watched part of last nights game.  Glad to see them win but I don't really feel any connection to the players.  Polar opposite to the Kamakizi Kids days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Where's the photo of Scrooge McDuck?

image.png.ff68e944c09c444131c43694d3378b18.png

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Occam's Razor = it's about the $.

I do think money is playing a role here but I think it's more NFL money and not NIL.  Minimum NFL player salary for 2021 was $660,000 which probably dwarfs anything NIL can offer generally speaking, if he plays in the NFL for 3-5 years at even that minimum wage he's probably set for life.  Dye needs to put his best foot forward to make that NFL money and he only has 1 more season to do it.  He had a great start last season after CJ went down but current circumstances have muddied that path.  

1. 1. He made his success under Cristobal's offensive philosophy last season.
  2. 2. All the coaches he had relationships with are gone and he has no connection to anyone on staff.
  3. 3. He'll be dealing with a new offensive scheme whether he stays at Oregon or moves elsewhere.
  4. 4. If he says at Oregon and CJ comes back, he'll be splitting carries again.

So what it still boils down to is playing time.  After proving that he can be the feature back in an offense he would obviously want to continue doing that going forward.  Spending a full season as the primary running back would probably pad his resume enough to get onto a roster somewhere in the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another component in all of this is Verdell's injury; when he went down...Dye had accepted a "No. 2" role in the offense.  Not now.  He feels he has earned the "featured back" title, and if Verdell stays...

And since I doubt he is NFL material--this last year is it for him and he has to make the most of NIL and his college experience.  And that might not be at Oregon.

But I will love him for what he did this last year!

21 ODFB Oregon Vs UCLA0409.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

If money’s a goal but the NFL isn’t an option, I’d say just get into coaching ASAP. I think he’d have a bright and lucrative future in that direction.

• Like 1

It seems obvious that big media markets will start being the best way to get a lucrative NIL deal. A few rich donors might overcome the lure of teams in big markets.