Charles Fischer

FishDuck Article: "Oregon Ducks Women’s Hoops Better Than Expected?"

When COVID-19 forced NCAA sports into remission last March, I struggled to wrap my head around an Oregon Ducks women’s basketball team with three of the school’s greatest players — Sabrina Ionescu, Satou Sabally and Ruthy Hebard — not getting one last shot at winning a national title. Setting aside the universal disappointment in locker rooms across the country, how ...

Read the full article here...

Mr. FishDuck

For me, my expectations were higher then the results so far. With so many 5 star's and the hype, I expected better results. 

With three conference losses the girls have work to do this season. 

1185820670_ScreenShot2021-01-16at3_38_44AM.jpg.f17e92070a6ec8431ac1d0ec202ebe4d.jpg

I certainly didn't see the game at Arizona coming,, after their blowout of Cal, 100-41, the Ducks only tallied 41 against the Wildcats. The 57 they held the Wildcats to, would usually mean a win. So. even from their worst game in recent memory, some positives can be found, the defense was still good.

It also prompted Coach Graves to tighten up the rotation, you can read about that more here. Going into the season, Stanford, UCLA  and Arizona would all be picked to finish  above the Ducks because of their talent and experience. WSU, with only 1 loss so far, is a big surprise, but only shows even more how good Women's basketball is in the Pac-12

• Thumbs Up 1

The morning paper in Eugene had an article where it was noted that in the sophomore year of the Sabrina/Ruthie....they went 8-10 in conference play, and then had the incredible team chemistry come together and surprise everyone and make the Elite-Eight.

Possible this year?

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

8 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

For me, my expectations were higher then the results so far. With so many 5 star's and the hype, I expected better results. 

With three conference losses the girls have work to do this season. 

Three conference losses to whom? This isn't just any conference. These are top 10 teams we are talking about. They had their work to do before 3 conference losses.

So many 5 stars? Yes! But all incoming freshmen. We lost three top 10 draft picks, including #1 and #2. 5 incoming freshmen 5-stars cannot replace 3 draft picks, no matter where they were drafted, but 3 top 10s??? No way. 

Only one of the 5 five-star freshmen has broken into the starting 5. It is not surprising that 4 did not; what is surprising is that one did.  The other 4 are doing great and contributing a lot of minutes.

I think the Ducks are right where they were expected to be by this time in the shortened season (remember: very few OOC games to warm up on).  Come March Madness, COVID will still be ruling the day. If they can stay away from the bug, the ladies will make another deep run, even if they don't (and they probably won't) win the PAC 12. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Possible this year?

Definitely possible. Elite 8 is just inside the top 10. In the tournament, anything is possible. COVID is still the elephant in that room.

6 hours ago, Jon Sousa said:

So many 5 stars? Yes! But all incoming freshmen. We lost three top 10 draft picks, including #1 and #2. 5 incoming freshmen 5-stars cannot replace 3 draft picks, no matter where they were drafted, but 3 top 10s??? No way. 

I would ask for patience.  Yes they are 5* recruits, but as I've said before, they are all used to being the best player on the court in high school, but this is obviously another level indeed!  I still think this team will make a good run in the madness kerfuffle.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually the 8-10 season was Sabrina/Ruthie's freshman year.  But I think the hype was too high, yet we're way ahead of that year with more talent coming in and the Fab Five improving.  As KG said the other day, it's time to get a smaller rotation figured out.

Obviously this article was written before the AZ game, but those numbers, and our play, will improve.  

Boley had 0 points in the desert.  She has always been streaky with the 3, so is Mikesell.  If Sedona stays healthy the game in the paint will thrive, Nyara is improving a lot, and someone becoming the new pick-n-roll queen...we have potential 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow! This discussion is so different than the other boards that are ready to throw many of the players, including some of the frosh out of playing time.

In Sabrina/Ruthy's class there were several players that did not make top D1 program playing qualities.  However, they were not top 5 star recruits.  This year's recruits are top 5 star recruits, and I believe every one has shown abilities that they can/will be top D1 players.  I do not want to relegate any of them to transferring.  I would even be satisfied to having this be a developmental year if we can keep them and have them continue their development.

As discussed in other threads, Oregon does not year in and year out get the top ten recruits that Stanford or UConn get.  I am all for developing this group together, add another great big (Sedona for 3 years? maybe) and see where this goes!!!!!.. 2022/2023 and 2023/2024 is coming!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JDuck said:

Actually the 8-10 season was Sabrina/Ruthie's freshman year.  But I think the hype was too high, yet we're way ahead of that year with more talent coming in and the Fab Five improving.  As KG said the other day, it's time to get a smaller rotation figured out.

Obviously this article was written before the AZ game, but those numbers, and our play, will improve.  

Boley had 0 points in the desert.  She has always been streaky with the 3, so is Mikesell.  If Sedona stays healthy the game in the paint will thrive, Nyara is improving a lot, and someone becoming the new pick-n-roll queen...we have potential 

Mikesell is playing the outside shooter role that Boley played last year.  The problem is simply that she is not getting any openings for shots like Boley did. The other players are not setting her up for shots.  It seems a combination of a lot of things. The defense has not had to contend with as many drives into the paint, the outside whip-around passing is not as fast and sharp, and there is little pick and roll threading the center area.  Mikesell could probably shoot well if she was getting enough good shots up consistently in games.  But that doesn't seem to be there this year.

Maybe a whole new offense will develop if Sadona can play reasonable minutes.  Or put in Angela in a crash course to develop a power forward attack (like Satou) and move Boley back to shooter?  At least she would pick up a lot of rebounds not seen if Mikesell is in.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mallard said:

t seems a combination of a lot of things. The defense has not had to contend with as many drives into the paint, the outside whip-around passing is not as fast and sharp, and there is little pick and roll threading the center area.  Mikesell could probably shoot well if she was getting enough good shots up consistently in games.  But that doesn't seem to be there this year.

Great analysis. Last year's team made it look so easy that you didn't really notice all that went into it. Sabrina & Ruthy P & R was exquisite basketball that will be hard to replicate, but so far it isn't even really being attempted.

8 hours ago, Mallard said:

Wow! This discussion is so different than the other boards

That's what we're going for!

13 hours ago, Mallard said:

Wow! This discussion is so different than the other boards that are ready to throw many of the players, including some of the frosh out of playing time.

We are critical analysis fans, and apparently....so are you, because your analysis above is superb explaining the weaknesses and what needs to be done.  You disagree with some of us and offer solutions, and we love that here.  Great posts!

Mr. FishDuck