Charles Fischer

Cristobal Says, "No Trash-Talking at Miami"

This will make you want to hurl, but it is a short article.  More talk and it won't actually be implemented...meanwhile the culture at Oregon was deteriorating, IMHO. Thoughts?

Miami's Mario Cristobal Details Challenge of Rebuilding Hurricanes by Austin Nivison of 247 Sports

Mario Cristobal introduced at Miami: 'When The U is on and The U brings it,  there's nothing like it' - The Athletic

Mr. FishDuck

Sure Mario, we'll all be watching (from a distance) as your journey into toughness, grit and physicality unfolds.

Pretty sure one of these was filled up from what was coming out of that press conference.

61e7ib.jpg

• Haha 6

I don't know Mario, you were brought back to get the going again. That sounded like an ad for 

image.jpeg.a2626d30c154812746ea7dc953033ef6.jpeg

• Haha 2

I do think the culture was falling apart at Oregon. Those two Utah games had it on full display where the ducks just didn't look like they cared... And they were the no. 3 team for the first game and they were playing for a pac-12 championship in the second game... They had EVERYTHING to play for and they didn't show up? 

This season on the whole had that feeling with with 6/10 of the games Oregon won this year were by 10 points or less. I mean come on... It was a constant frustration for fans this year that we couldn't put opponents away. 

That had to have put the squeeze on the culture. That and Pittman leaving probably soured things pretty badly, that is a mixture of Pittman and Cristobal I feel because he or someone else probably should have seen that coming.

I read somewhere that there was just a lack of energy in the program and under Lanning and new strength coach Love that there is already new life and energy back in the building. 

If MC had stayed I think there was going to be an off season with a lot of transfers. 

Also take note how many transfers from Oregon are going to Miami... Currently zero. How does that speak to the culture that was developing in the Oregon locker room at the end of the year? 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mario ‘what you see is not what you get’ Cristobal will do just as well if not better recruiting to his new program. What he won’t get are all those frustrated, untapped, hungry kids from the Miami neighborhoods that filled the roster in his playing days. They now get top drawer offers from everywhere. And with the inability MC has shown thus far to transform talent into players, that local source of hungry motivation will be sorely missed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Also take note how many transfers from Oregon are going to Miami... Currently zero.

Great point, and along with the premise of this article, if Oregon got the blah's watching Mario's offense trudge along? The fans in Miami will have the Dolphins and the NBA Heat to give their attention too. Mario is coming in with Great Expectations. It could end up being, the worst of times

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Only one?... PFFFffft!

I don't begrudge MC taking the Miami job, sure the timing was horrible but breakups are never pretty.  I was sorry to see him go, but I was still very concerned about the lack of performance in the Utah games.  To paraphrase Mike Bellotti, the games you remember are played in November.  Those performances led me to believe his schtick was no longer resonating with the team.

Here's hoping Lanning and staff can make the Ducks fun and exciting again, while actually achieving that physicality Mario was always crowing about.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Also take note how many transfers from Oregon are going to Miami... Currently zero. How does that speak to the culture that was developing in the Oregon locker room at the end of the year? 

Excellent point

Not even a sniff 

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario has 2 of the 3 key ingredients necessary to build a CFP participant. First,  He is a outstanding recruiter who wins the kitchen table wars. Oregon's recruiting classes bear that out. He put talent on the field. Second, no one will out work him and his staff. He will put in the hours and make the sacrifices necessary to work toward achieving his goals.

But as Miami fans and the drooling talking fools (ESPN) will discover he lacks the third key ingredient. He cannot coach or will not put a coaching staff together who can develop the players to their full potential. As a HC, he and his staff could not make in game adjustments or grasp game management procedures  Or Mario simply over ruled those decisions. As a result, of poor coaching decisions, the last 4 seasons the Ducks lost games they should not have lost to. CFP teams don't lose those games. 

That will not change in Miami. Mario will win alot of games in the ACC. The conference is stacked with teams you should not lose to. However, Mario will find a way to lose one each year. Then the Miami fans can listen to his useless, coach speak pressers. He excels in that area for certain.......

• Thumbs Up 4

I think Mario will do well and make them a powerhouse again. 

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2022 at 12:12 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Second, no one will out work him and his staff. He will put in the hours and make the sacrifices necessary to work toward achieving his goals.

I think this is a perceived idea, not necessarily valid. There is no question Mario is a hard worker, but it takes two ingredients to be a productive worker. You have to work hard and smart. 

Now Chip had the smart thing down, massive reps, whole practice scripted. Mario's team never felt like they would out execute other teams.

There are a lot of coaches who work extremely hard. I would give Lanning the edge on this one after watching what he did while DC of the National Champs and running the Oregon Program from Georgia. The guy knows how to be productive, not just sound productive, and busy.

I am reminded of a friends dad who worked at Boeing as an engineer for a while. He said he walked around with a clipboard, always carried a clipboard and everyone thought he was the most productive guy in his department. He left, and started his own successful company because that was one of the prerequisites, just look busy. Mario has the look, and sound busy thing down pat. That and the kitchen table talk, the guy can flat out recruit!

• Like 1

I cant wait to see next years results-- Im thinking 6 wins

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, Duckhart said:

I think Mario will do well and make them a powerhouse again. 

I think that's a good possibility. He has to learn to do a few things differently. Hire great assistants and give them the freedom to coach. Don't play afraid. To play with physicality, physically dominate, you have to be aggressive. Trust players to make plays. And a little trash talking in Miami is to be expected, but keep it a little under control.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:57 PM, OhioDuck said:

Trust players to make plays

About the only way that’s going to happen is if Miami forfeits all there time-outs.

I have to say that at first I was disappointed that Mario left.  But sitting back, watching, listening etc.  I've come to the realization that what occurred with the football program may be the best thing that could possibly have happened.  Yes, Mario was an excellent recruiter, and a hell of a hard worker, but as said above none of this years team seems to have followed him to Miami.  I always felt he was a poor game coach.  Thought this last season that our OC would be calling the plays without any interference, obviously that was not the case.

Mario's strongest suit is as a recruiter, but with the staff that Lanning has put together I'd say that the Ducks will recruit even better with he and his new staff.  Never felt that the D performed like it should have, and it looks to me like the new staff is better put together to solve that issue than the old staff.  The enthusiasm as a group of the new staff as a whole is hard to beat.  Some of the coaches that had been at UCLA in the past didn't do the greatest job as teachers, but if you look at where they have been since the Mora days, I'd say that they have learned to be good teachers (coaches).

I love Lanning enthusiasm, it's contagious.  I don't see the program missing a beat going into next season and I can honestly see Oregon having an 11-1 season + Pac 12 championship win, and an invite to National Championship series.  

A lot of you will probably think I'm nuts, however my enthusiasm for the new group and the future of the program is hard for me not to feel the way I do.  I think Rob Mullens made a great hire, hope I'm right about that and the above.

• Thumbs Up 4

MC left the program in better shape than what it was when he arrived. He got good players to come to Oregon and out recruited the PAC 12 by a long shot.

He worked hard and made the most of his talent. I respect that in a person.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is always a tendency to only see the negative rather than the positive anytime you lose a coach to another program — human nature.  It soothes the pain, and makes the loss not seem so bad.

That said, Mario is good people — period. He not only means well, he does well, to the best of his ability. His list of strengths is a lot longer than his weaknesses. Unfortunately, it was one of those weaknesses that was driving most of us to the looney bin.

But in the end, I think most of us wish him nothing but the best.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, mrspenney said:

A lot of you will probably think I'm nuts, however my enthusiasm for the new group and the future of the program is hard for me not to feel the way I do.

Nope.  You are helping some of us better rationalize our unfounded, unbridled, and uncontrolled enthusiasm for the future.

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

I wish MC all the all the best except if and when he plays us.

He's gone now and we have a new coach.