Charles Fischer

Lanning Trying to "FLIP" Georgia Verbal/Recruit to Oregon

The article makes a good point...we lost some when Mario left, and these would be sweet.  Which one would YOU want?

Dan Lanning Takes Aim at Pair of Georgia Recruits, Attempting Flip to Oregon by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

Jordan James now enrolled at Oakland

Jordan James is actually a verbal commitment to the Bulldogs!   (He's a Rivals 4-Star!)

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I want both of them!! A DL that Georgia is interested in, and No.2 in the country! Yes, come on over!  I also have a lot of fun thinking about getting an SEC type RB to come run through Pac-1`2 defenses. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for sharing Charles.  Anyone else have mixed feelings about this?

On the one hand, I don’t like the idea that a former employee of a school is allowed to leverage prior work product on behalf of his new employer.  

That said, if the recruit reached out based on his prior relationship with the coach, and the recruit wasn’t solid on the prior school, then of course there would be an option to consider the new school.

Glad I have no say in the matter.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Duck1984 said:

Anyone else have mixed feelings about this?

Absolutely.  When Mario does it--it is sleazy.  When Lanning does it--it is smart recruiting.  Tough to shave in the morning when I have two-faces....  🙂 

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I feel pretty much the same as I did about Cyrus Moss and all the Taggart decommits. It’s the kids decision where they go to school.

Are they committed to the school or the coach? Whatever they feel, is what they should do.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would LOVE to see the DUCKS pull in a DL recruit of this caliber, but either one or both of these guys would be a luxury at this point.

For Lanning's staff to land James would, IMO, say far more about Coach Locklyn than Lanning.

Either one should be a welcome addition to the flock.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, Duck1984 said:

On the one hand, I don’t like the idea that a former employee of a school is allowed to leverage prior work product on behalf of his new employer.  

That said, if the recruit reached out based on his prior relationship with the coach, and the recruit wasn’t solid on the prior school, then of course there would be an option to consider the new school.

There are NO rules in love, war and recruiting!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks good

On 1/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I feel pretty much the same as I did about Cyrus Moss and all the Taggart decommits. It’s the kids decision where they go to school.

Are they committed to the school or the coach? Whatever they feel, is what they should do.

Yep. Mario put in the time recruiting these guys, so I have no problem with them following him. Even if he did make his final push after the Pac 12 CG while wearing Ducks gear. Lanning built the relationships. If he can use them to his advantage, then have at it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

. If he can use them to his advantage, then have at it.

That's how I see it, you recruit until the whistle sounds. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have a lot of mixed feelings. A coach builds a long term relationship with a player which goes both ways. I don't expect that relationship to change with a coaching change. So, I expect when MC goes to Miami some Oregon recruits are going to Miami too. I may not like it, but the relationships have been built over time.

If Lanning or any of our other new coaches have relationships with players they recruited at former schools I expect the same thing. Fans of the other schools probably won't like that either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Absolutely.  When Mario does it--it is sleazy.  When Lanning does it--it is smart recruiting.  Tough to shave in the morning when I have two-faces....  🙂 

Laughing my ass off Charles.  When you look in the mirror do you have many cuts from trying to keep a straight face?  Love it!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:00 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Laughing my ass off Charles.  When you look in the mirror do you have many cuts from trying to keep a straight face?  Love it!

It bothers me when the cuts are on odd spots like the top of my ears...

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I pretty much agree with what Lanning said at the press conference. The kids you want are the ones who want to be here.

• Thumbs Up 3

I believe the relationship between the the players and coaches are the key. 

With the transfer portal opening up CFB it will allow more of that. 

The coaches are the ones who turn boys into men. This will impact the players future well past CFB.

So for me it's a good thing that's occurring and I don't see anything wrong with the recruiting of our future players by MC. Or us going after UGA recruits. 

This is why it is critical the school, Oregon is as attractive as possible. There will always be slick salesman who can sway a young student athlete. The school and opportunities at the program should draw the student athlete.

You also have to make the sure the program aligns with what the student athlete is sold. Bru McCoy always dreamed of going to sc, but the school never really added up to his fantasy, the same could be said of some of our student athletes. 

The job of the coach, and program is to make the dreams of the players come true, if they work hard and persevere. At Oregon the program makes it as easy as possible for those dreams to come true for coach and student athlete. That is the magic of the Oregon Football Program.

I will add as long as we keep making student athletes and coaches successful our formula will continue to outperform other programs. Most programs look for coaches to be their saviors. They also can be hyper critical of the student athlete who doesn't live up to the hype. We need to keep more than an arms length from that type of thinking.

If a student athlete wants to go to another program, best of luck. Hopefully we have someone else doing an even better job this student athlete doesn't want to compete against. If a coach wants to leave, congrats on the success. Hopefully you have moved to a better position and we will reload.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach Lanning was offered the Oregon HC position because of his proven ability to recruit and build a power house defense. So by all means, within the rules, recruit the players you have your relationships with. Just like the new HC at LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Washington and Miami will do.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Dan Lanning is recruiting this kid then it’s because the kid got Billy Bobbed by Georgia. I am a Georgia Fan and I have tons of respect for Dan Lanning. Jordan James is a Great kid with the talent to do well in your league! 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, Lanningfan said:

If Dan Lanning is recruiting this kid then it’s because the kid got Billy Bobbed by Georgia. I am a Georgia Fan and I have tons of respect for Dan Lanning. Jordan James is a Great kid with the talent to do well in your league! 

No disrespect intended but, what exactly does "Billy Bobbed" mean? As well, "the talent to do well in our league?"

• Haha 1

It insinuates UGA replaced him with a more attractive candidate, as in, a successful Billy Bob Thornton 'upgraded' to Angelina Jolie...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, SoCalDuck said:

No disrespect intended but, what exactly does "Billy Bobbed" mean? As well, "the talent to do well in our league?"

Lol none taken. 

On 1/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, SoCalDuck said:

The kid is a smaller back that fits well with a spread offense. He will do well there

• Thumbs Up 1

A replacement for Travis Dye perhaps....

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/16/2022 at 8:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

This is why it is critical the school, Oregon is as attractive as possible. There will always be slick salesman who can sway a young student athlete. The school and opportunities at the program should draw the student athlete.

You also have to make the sure the program aligns with what the student athlete is sold. Bru McCoy always dreamed of going to sc, but the school never really added up to his fantasy, the same could be said of some of our student athletes. 

The job of the coach, and program is to make the dreams of the players come true, if they work hard and persevere. At Oregon the program makes it as easy as possible for those dreams to come true for coach and student athlete. That is the magic of the Oregon Football Program.

I will add as long as we keep making student athletes and coaches successful our formula will continue to outperform other programs. Most programs look for coaches to be their saviors. They also can be hyper critical of the student athlete who doesn't live up to the hype. We need to keep more than an arms length from that type of thinking.

If a student athlete wants to go to another program, best of luck. Hopefully we have someone else doing an even better job this student athlete doesn't want to compete against. If a coach wants to leave, congrats on the success. Hopefully you have moved to a better position and we will reload.

Regarding Bru McCoy, I think it was more a case of Bru McCoy not living up to USC’s fantasy. Kid had some pretty serious off field issues.

When there is a coaching change, it's a total game-changer for recruits.  Some kid was being recruited by Miami but he didn't vibe with the coach, and he liked MC.  Now MC is the coach at Miami, so suddenly that program looks good.  Some other kid felt he was a great fit for the scheme at Miami, but doesn't like the scheme MC brings to the program, so now he's no longer interested in Miami.

Same with coaches - I'm sure there are guys MC was pressing hard for that Lanning looked at and said, "Meh - next."  And probably guys Lanning wanted that the new DC in Georgia won't be excited about. 

It's not just a new head coach, but new assistants, new schemes, new priorities, new trainers, new attitude.  With the transfer portal, even some new teammates.  And undoubtedly there's also uncertainty, like will Lanning be a good HC and how will the team look in three years and what O and D schemes will they run.

So when a coach leaves, I have no problem with that coach "taking" recruits elsewhere.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Duck1984 said:

Me to. Its is what it is and maybe a lot of us do not like the way this is going, but it is what it is and we must just get on board for now and see where this takes Oregon. Hopefully we get a whole bunch of 4 and 5 star players and if they can start then a Portal player or two.

The job of the coach, and program is to make the dreams of the players come true, if they work hard and persevere. At Oregon the program makes it as easy as possible for those dreams to come truSometimes it just takes one player e for coach and student athlete. That is the magic of the Oregon Football Program.

Hey HD I feel the same way like pretty much everyone else. Yes Oregon has a lot going for it. There's just one glaring missing item. A NATTY TROPHY in HD Case. That's what this is about a Championship and just shut the football world up for at least one season. This is why now you must recruit at least in the TOP 5 of evert team out there because you need that depth and especially at QB. Sometimes it takes one special player and hopefully it's your QB to get you over the hump. Oregon needs to do everything to get this done. Legally speaking and if that means 80 million in cash flow then do it. Just Do It Ducky's!

This is why it is critical the school, Oregon is as attractive as possible. There will always be slick salesman who can sway a young student athlete. The school and opportunities at the program should draw the

Not too many desirable recruits are going to have the vision to see through the glitzy surface being presented by some recruiters. But, it’s the ones who do — who think outside the box (football success only) — that will not only be drawn to Oregon, but will help others to see this important academic result, and end up being some of our best recruiters.

Thib is a case in point.  Not only is he a great athlete, but he has a vision of his own success after football. And, he’s not afraid to talk about how Oregon helps build its program-continuum to benefit the chances of the student/athlete to realize and grasp this later success. 

From the concrete emphasis place on athlete academic excellence demonstrated by the Jaqua Center, to the manifold Nike-driven benefits that athletes can take advantage of during and after their days at Oregon, this built-in molding of the entire person needs to be perceived for what it is: Oregon’s focus on not just using the athlete, but being of genuine use to the athlete afterwards. 

Thibs gets this, and gets that message out there. Thank you!