Jon Joseph

What's your Favorite Football Movie?

I have to go with Brian's Song.

A few decades back I was on the range at Spanish Trail CC  in Las Vegas warming up next to Gale Sayers. Not cool to chat up well known folks on the range at STCC. Many a famous entertainer visited and belonged to, STCC.

Nevertheless I tapped him on the shoulder. He looked at me and was none too pleased.

"Sorry Mr. Sayers," I said, "but I want you to know that as a guy who played ice hockey through college, when I watched you running the ball at Kansas and for the Bears; well, it was like watching a great skater on the ice. Fluid man, fluid."

I got a smile and a handshake when I deserved  a punch in the mouth.

Love the movie not only because of the subject but as to how spot on it is regarding race relationships back in the day. 

Ways to go? No doubt. But so much better than when I watched all white football teams in the ACC, where Piccollo played at Wake Forest, the SEC and the SWC.

• Thanks 2

Longest yard, water boy was pretty funny. Sandler comedy got stale for me though. Of course I will never tire of the greatest hockey comedy of all time, Happy Gilmore.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, Log Haulin said:

Longest yard, water boy was pretty funny. Sandler comedy got stale for me though. Of course I will never tire of the greatest hockey comedy of all time, Happy Gilmore.

Miracle on Ice?

I will never forget Brian's Song, I can still remember vividly scenes and of course the theme song

On a pure entertainment vote, I go with "Heaven Can Wait"

Remember the Titans ranks near the top for me.  
Also brought racism to the discussion.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, Log Haulin said:

I will never tire of the greatest hockey comedy of all time, Happy Gilmore.

I'll check you with "Slap Shot"

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/16/2022 at 7:03 PM, 30Duck said:

I'll check you with "Slap Shot"

You win! We need the Hansen brothers playing D for the football team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

We need the Hansen brothers playing D for the football team.

image.jpeg.42b2a7677cf5263fd88974af021bc06d.jpeg

• Haha 1

Friday Night Lights.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, noDucknewby said:

Friday Night Lights.

TV show was great too.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, 30Duck said:

image.jpeg.42b2a7677cf5263fd88974af021bc06d.jpeg

"Old time hockey. Toe Blake, Eddie Shore." 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:57 PM, shawnski said:

"Old time hockey. Toe Blake, Eddie Shore." 

Gump Worsley, last goalie to play without a helmet. Saw him in the old Grubby Garden in Boston make 73 saves vs the Orr/Espo Bruins and lose 3 to 2. Most saves ever made in the NHL in a losing game.

And don't forget 'Blinky,' Gordie Howe. Bobby Hull, et al. 

6 team NHL. Those were some bad Canuck dudes. 

Toss up between Friday Night Lights and either Longest Yard movie..

Greatest sports movie? Another toss up between Slap Shot and The Sandlot. Hockey bus road trips following the Spokane Jets/Flyers into Cranbrook, Nelson and Trail BC rang true to the movie. Booze, babes, brawls and hockey in the late 60's and early 70's without the movie set.. Played neighborhood baseball, all day long in the summer in vacant fields in the late 50's and early 60's. it was simply the best of times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knute Rockne, All American.  Ronald Regan played George Gipp, who from his hospitable bed urged: “Win one for the Gipper!”

After shedding tears (I was about age eight) I quit football movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember the Titans .... I also think that is probably the only football movie I have ever seen more than once.

Draft Day

Great cast: Kevin Costner, Chadwick Boseman, Jennifer Garner, Ellen Burstyn, Frank Langella, Sam Elliott, Dennis Leary.

Loved the manipulation, bluffing, horse trading, posturing…..and the ending we were all rooting for.

Rudy! Rudy!

Invincible, The Blind Side, Varsity Blues, Gridiron Gang, The Replacements, The Program, and Any Given Sunday were all entertaining too.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

Of course I will never tire of the greatest hockey comedy of all time, Happy Gilmore.

Over the Hanson brothers?  Never!  Slap Shot all day long...

• Thumbs Up 1

As for football movies, it's gotta be the original The Longest Yard.  Burt Reynolds when he was cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:58 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Over the Hanson brothers?  Never!  Slap Shot all day long...

It was a joke, Happy Gilmore is a golf movie.

Facing the Giants 

American Underdog

On 1/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, DuckIt said:

Rudy! Rudy!

As somebody who is more interested in the culture of a championship team than the star players Rudy has always pulled at me. 

Every great team has the extra stuff few players bring to a program, and even fewer coaches instill into programs. There is an edge that is hard to define.

Rudy begins to define that edge and the difference between very good teams and great teams. 

This edge was why we would have lost 9 out of 10 or more to Utah. This years team didn't have that edge, and that is what I want to see with a Lanning team.

What blows me away about the old Duck teams is how good they were, compared to the skill level at every position. We didn't have a loaded team with NFL talent, just the effort, expectations instilled by Bellotti and CK to beat the team across the line of scrimmage on every down.

Can Dan Lanning create that culture again where everyone exceeds his potential both individually and as a team. Winning in recruiting is only one step toward that goal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know Varsity Blues was a comedy, but if you played HS football in Texas there were parts of the movie that were very real. Coach Kilmer, the parents, fans and announcers were firmly based on reality. In fact, those announcers were the same announcers who were on the call of an ESPY winning play. Apparently, Jon Voight saw this footage and wanted them in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Flash Gordon!

image.jpeg.4d2720528566e90b03998562070b53c4.jpeg

On 1/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, Haywarduck said:

As somebody who is more interested in the culture of a championship team than the star players Rudy has always pulled at me. 

Every great team has the extra stuff few players bring to a program, and even fewer coaches instill into programs. There is an edge that is hard to define.

Rudy begins to define that edge and the difference between very good teams and great teams. 

This edge was why we would have lost 9 out of 10 or more to Utah. This years team didn't have that edge, and that is what I want to see with a Lanning team.

What blows me away about the old Duck teams is how good they were, compared to the skill level at every position. We didn't have a loaded team with NFL talent, just the effort, expectations instilled by Bellotti and CK to beat the team across the line of scrimmage on every down.

Can Dan Lanning create that culture again where everyone exceeds his potential both individually and as a team. Winning in recruiting is only one step toward that goal.

But, did you like Rudy in Lord of the Rings? Great comment.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 3:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I have to go with Brian's Song.

A few decades back I was on the range at Spanish Trail CC  in Las Vegas warming up next to Gale Sayers. Not cool to chat up well known folks on the range at STCC. Many a famous entertainer visited and belonged to, STCC.

Nevertheless I tapped him on the shoulder. He looked at me and was none too pleased.

"Sorry Mr. Sayers," I said, "but I want you to know that as a guy who played ice hockey through college, when I watched you running the ball at Kansas and for the Bears; well, it was like watching a great skater on the ice. Fluid man, fluid."

I got a smile and a handshake when I deserved  a punch in the mouth.

Love the movie not only because of the subject but as to how spot on it is regarding race relationships back in the day. 

Ways to go? No doubt. But so much better than when I watched all white football teams in the ACC, where Piccollo played at Wake Forest, the SEC and the SWC.

Remember the Titan's, Brian's Song, then the one about the O lineman who went to Arkansas.

Not a football movie, but a great football scene: MASH 

The 4077th vs 325th Evac game

The original "Big Ben" Davidson in a bit part. Fred Williamson as Oliver Wendell "Spearchucker" Jones, a pro ringer neurosurgeon with the 4077th coaching Donald Sutherland, Elliot Gould and Tom Skerritt and running all over the 325th defense. It had it all, trick plays, trash talking ("you're f'n head's coming right off!") and smoking weed on the sidelines. Totally un-PC by today's standard, but as funny as it got to a kid of the 60's

• Thumbs Up 2

Not a movie, but a football legend for sure:

Bullwinkle from Wassamatta U

image.jpeg.c44bcf738f92b9a67d168158352f5ce7.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Not a football movie, but a great football scene: MASH 

The 4077th vs 325th Evac game

The original "Big Ben" Davidson in a bit part. Fred Williamson as Oliver Wendell "Spearchucker" Jones, a pro ringer neurosurgeon with the 4077th coaching Donald Sutherland, Elliot Gould and Tom Skerritt and running all over the 325th defense. It had it all, trick plays, trash talking ("you're f'n head's coming right off!") and smoking weed on the sidelines. Totally un-PC by today's standard, but as funny as it got to a kid of the 60's

"XX is divine!" Lots of things were not good about the 60s, but a lot of things were 'righter' than they seem to be today? You could laugh out loud at 'something' without having to first check to see if your sense of humor was going to offend anyone or any group.

Great comment.

The longest yard with Burt Reynolds and North Dallas Forty with Nick Nolte.

Remember the Titans, for me. When I was substitute teaching several years ago the teachers would often leave a video to watch. Remember the Titans was the most popular, it held the students attention and had a little "educational" value. I must have seen it 25+ times and it actually never got old. I also remember that T. C. Williams team. Down in Southeastern VA we kept hearing rumors of this team in Northern VA that had a separate 11 guys not just for offense and defense but all the different special teams. BTW, unlike how the movie depicts it, that team had no close games. From game one to the state championship they slaughtered everyone. I think their closest score was 38-17.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 5:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But, did you like Rudy in Lord of the Rings? Great comment.

Who doesn't love Samwise in that movie? 

If you love the Lord of the Rings, you gotta love Sam.  Sam was the most loyal and fearless friend to the end, despite Frodo accusing him of wanting the ring for himself. 

I viewed Sam as the true hero of the movie who had to rescue Frodo on more than one occasion and carry his lifeless body to the top of Mount Doom.  In that respect, Frodo appears the helpless, damsel in distress. 

Without Sam, Frodo would have probably been devoured by Gollum or the spider.  It was Sam's heart and determination that saw them to the top of Mount Doom.  And it was Gollum who bit off Frodo's finger that led to the tussle and then, the ring being destroyed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, Log Haulin said:

It was a joke, Happy Gilmore is a golf movie.

Ah.  Since I tend to avoid Adam Sandler movies like I avoid Baltimore Ravens fans, I didn't even know that.

• Thumbs Up 1

My faves are The Best of Times with Kurt Russell and Robin Williams, and Wildcats with Goldie Hawn. 

wildcats-goldie-hawn-film.jpeg

Edited by Matty Luau

An unfair question as some are favorites at different times for different reasons. When I think about football movies a few come to mind. The first is of course Brian's Song. 

The second is Remember the Titans, but we can't forget about The Waterboy. Both Longest Yards are hilarious in my opinion, and I just watched a great movie called 12 Mighty Orphans.   It got a tear or two out of me.