1Funduck

What's the Draw for Entering the Transfer Portal?

Have I counted this correctly? 11 kids have entered the transfer portal this year. These young Men have their reasons and I'm sure they cover the gambit.

Home sick or not having enough playing time surely is a factor, and paydays must be considered as well. But, this latest one with DJ James? 

I guess I'm a late bloomer and am going to have to accept that this is the new normal. 5-10 kids entering the Transfer Portal every year and being replaced with

'Porta-Kids'. I can really see how having a down year can gut a program and exacerbate the issue. These coaches are becoming more and more beholden to the

ebb and flow of the players. 

The percentage of college student, general population, who transfer during their time at college is about 30%.

With the transfer portal the student athletes are just better reflecting the general population. 

Much like those who came to college with a girl friend, how many are still in that relationship?

With coaches changing and new recruits coming in it is surprising more don't, look elsewhere.

This is why it is so critical to make Oregon the most appealing school in the nation to play football at. If you build it they will come, and stay.

One item was watching NFL games it was pretty telling the schools the starters came from, mostly SEC. We need to get kids into the NFL at a better clip, or they will just come for the show, and leave for the opportunity to make the show. 

We need to compete at the highest level and show we can better get the student athletes to the next level. 

• Thumbs Up 3

$. Guys are scoring big NIL deals out of the portal. 

Playing time; especially, for back up QBs.

The grass is always greener theory. But with more players, by far, in the portal than schollies available this is not true for the majority of portal people.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m gassed.  I have to check-out from this, or any forum, for just a little bit.  I’ve read way too much news pertaining to transfers, NIL, and TV deals in the past few weeks.  My opinion of college football is unfairly starting to sour.   

Years ago, I made college football my safe haven away from free agency, the “it’s all about me” attitudes of NFL players, and the greed of NFL ownership.  Sadly, I feel as if college football is now running laps around the NFL in terms of gluttonous behavior with a wanton disregard for the character development of the (student) athlete.   

I just view the current environment as robbing the student athlete of commitment and perseverance, among other valuable characteristics.  Let’s face it, most of these transfers are not centered around being homesick or for unforeseen family related issues.  All that’s really taking place is that we’ve given young people an avenue to bow out when things get too difficult, to seek monetary gain elsewhere for services not yet rendered, or to just plain quit due to not feeling the love in their current setting.  Regardless, we’re coddling…not cultivating an environment for human growth. 

I’ll be back when I grow up and feel as if I can begin to accept the way things are. Kudos to those of you who can roll with the punches of the game outside of the game of college football. 

I personally want to give credit to Jon Joseph & Haywarduck.  Agree with Jon or not, his postings in regard to everything I just complained about (transfer, NIL…etc.) are typically insightful and very discussion worthy.  If a chat board had to vote a party whip – it would be Jon.  As for Haywarduck, I look forward to reading his takes based on his ability to remove emotion (as I’m presently NOT doing) and write with clarity, purpose, and just plain common sense.  He’s always a good read.   

I’m going to the gym.  Be back when I’m done being a bull-headed whiner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 1/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But with more players, by far, in the portal than schollies available this is not true for the majority of portal people.

One small mitigating factor is walk ons can enter the portal.  For them it almost makes sense, gets their name out there and maybe they pick up a scholarship.  Possibly what happened Cross Patton at Nevada.

I can think of many factors on why the transfer portal can be attractive to athletes.  It can range from family needs off the field, to factors impacting an athletes ability to perform on the field. Every situation is different. 

There will be good and bad outcomes.

The decision to enter the portal is being made by young adults. They may be facing adversity for the first time and the portal looks like the answer. The majority will find out soon enough that it doesn’t solve all problems.

Some things just need to be learned on your own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, Jester said:

I’m gassed.  I have to check-out from this, or any forum, for just a little bit.  I’ve read way too much news pertaining to transfers, NIL, and TV deals in the past few weeks.  My opinion of college football is unfairly starting to sour.   

Years ago, I made college football my safe haven away from free agency, the “it’s all about me” attitudes of NFL players, and the greed of NFL ownership.  Sadly, I feel as if college football is now running laps around the NFL in terms of gluttonous behavior with a wanton disregard for the character development of the (student) athlete.   

I just view the current environment as robbing the student athlete of commitment and perseverance, among other valuable characteristics.  Let’s face it, most of these transfers are not centered around being homesick or for unforeseen family related issues.  All that’s really taking place is that we’ve given young people an avenue to bow out when things get too difficult, to seek monetary gain elsewhere for services not yet rendered, or to just plain quit due to not feeling the love in their current setting.  Regardless, we’re coddling…not cultivating an environment for human growth. 

I’ll be back when I grow up and feel as if I can begin to accept the way things are. Kudos to those of you who can roll with the punches of the game outside of the game of college football. 

I personally want to give credit to Jon Joseph & Haywarduck.  Agree with Jon or not, his postings in regard to everything I just complained about (transfer, NIL…etc.) are typically insightful and very discussion worthy.  If a chat board had to vote a party whip – it would be Jon.  As for Haywarduck, I look forward to reading his takes based on his ability to remove emotion (as I’m presently NOT doing) and write with clarity, purpose, and just plain common sense.  He’s always a good read.   

I’m going to the gym.  Be back when I’m done being a bull-headed whiner. 

Thank you for the kind comments. I think most of us are torn on pay-for-play under the guise of NIL transactions and unfettered free agency via the portal. On one hand, I do not believe players have been properly compensated in big time CFB for decades. On the other hand, especially for an old guy such as I, it kind of feels like the inmates have captured the asylum?

So much going on including the NCAA re-writing its "constitution" and likely turning CFB rules, regulation and enforcement over to the P5/G5 conferences. I expect this will also be the case for CBB at the P5/G5 level. With the Supreme Court decision in the Alston case there is no way that the NCAA or any other entity other than Congress, can rein in or regulate NIL and the manner in which NIL is being used to pay and recruit players. And this doesn't seem to be front-burner 'stuff' for Congress at the moment.

Another thing that can't be controlled, the fact that the B1G and the SEC are further financially distancing both respective conferences from their peers. The BCS and the BCS x 2, the so-called 'playoff,' has enriched the SEC and brought the Pac-12 to the edge if not over the edge of relevancy to irrelevancy, at least when it comes to the money-ball sports, CFB and CBB. Heck of a run in last season's CBB tourney but again, no cigar for The Conference of Champions.

It appears that the CFB playoff will not expand in the next 4 seasons. Expect many of the best west coast CFB recruits to continue to head east to play ball. In the next 4 seasons I expect, if granted the time on earth, to see at least 3 more SEC playoff champions.

Frankly, I was baffled by the Pac-12's decision not to expand when the time was right for so many reasons. I simply do not see how with the same line-up the Pac-12 has a chance after the next media go-rounds, to close the financial distance with the B1G and the SEC. It's so easy to say 'recruit better and win more,' but how many Pac-12 teams have the interest and the money needed to recruit and play at top level of CFB? 

What should Oregon do? In theory, convince the B1G to expand west and absorb the Ducks, Trojans and perhaps UW, Stanford, CU and Utah? (All AAU member schools.) I hope at the very least Oregon takes a long look at its options, if they indeed exist, before pledging its media rights to the Pac-12 for the duration of the next media deal.

Meanwhile, I will take Mr. FishDuck's advice and follow Oregon and CFB with as much gusto as I can muster.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, Jester said:

Sadly, I feel as if college football is now running laps around the NFL in terms of gluttonous behavior with a wanton disregard for the character development of the (student) athlete.   

I’m going to the gym.  

Thanks for the complements, and I think, too often, we try to be, or look prescient. We try and think we know what is going to happen, or know more than others. What is most important is to be present and understand what is happening. You do a great job of reflecting on this, and really highlighting that impact on yourself and the college game.

I completely agree the job of college athletics is to better prepare our youth to do great things, most often off the field of play they are involved in at college. The whole NIL and even the portal is shifting the ability of programs to do that for the student athlete and that is sad. 

Fortunately our program is able to compete on this platform and move toward the ultimate goal for the alumni and the athlete's, to win it all. Unfortunately we are also part of this shift away from what is most important, the student in the athlete. We aren't able to teach them the lesson most important, as well was possible in the past. I suppose the golden age is always in the past.

I too am off to the gym. Hopefully I can better clear my mind of this element. There seems to be so much out there which I can put my mental energy towards and have a better return. In the end I will be back, but I too question the college game even more than ever. It is fun to get philosophical while talking about a game!

How many of us would jump to a better opportunity at another job if there was a transfer portal in our life?

Oh, wait a minute, there is. It's called "free agency".

These athletes have discovered they can jump to a better perceived situation through the transfer portal if they so desire.

Or maybe they can get a better offer from their existing employer?

You would too?

Edited by ICamel
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guest DUCKBILL

I want to thank all contributors on this topic. For me, this is one of the best discussions ever presented on the OBD forum. When it comes to the financial analysis of college football, I know of no one that does a more thorough job than Jon Joseph. It appears the NIL is the Pandora Box that's been opened. I see no possibility of college football being amateur  again.

We are now going to see the rich leagues dominating college football (if they are not already doing this) in the future. Super leagues will become the future. As I have stated before, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Washington, OSU, Stanford and other possibilities should form their own  "Ivy League". I have no interest in Oregon joining the professional football universities and their super leagues. I am going to open a great Oregon Pinot Noir and try not to think about this any more..

Gentlemen....we are driving ourselves crazy by over-thinking this, and I am guilty of this as much as anyone.  The truly profound changes will not be evident for a while, and I believe we have a three-year window to enjoy Oregon football before it all descends into minor-league NFL.  So, I am not going to stick my head in a hole, but I am not going to obsess too much over the changes.

I will have plenty of time after three years to think about the "Good-Ol'-Days" and I do need to soak up Oregon Football and sports while I can.

That is my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The cat's name should be: Mark Emmert.

• Haha 1

A lot of walk-ons are entering the transfer portal in search of scholarships. Many don't get scholarships but a few do in the end so for walk-ons the appeal of the transfer portal is pretty simple... get a scholarship and maybe some meaningful playing time. Especially walk-ons from the larger programs like Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is an awesome tool for walk-ons. I truly applaud the Portal for this as it gets these kids a scholarship. Kudos across the board on that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

The few schools have been at the  top since CFB began. Each of those schools had advantages the majority didn't.

It's no different now just different types of advantages. I can count on my hands the # that's won a championship. 

Change is inevitable but you also know if you've lived long enough, you notice how some things stay the same.

I will always delineate between the pros and college by the schools and tradition. The players are still kids not men no matter the money. They will play with the fire of unmet expectations. 

Another bone to pick. I think we devalue the kids by making them have to be scholar/athletes. How many kids that get their degree end up doing the job in the same field. Not many.

If I have physical talents that might take me to the pros, why should I have to get an overall education instead of trailer making my own.

Shouldn't it be my choice like it is for the general public. There's no one to protect you from the inequalities of life.

I believe the scholarships should be means tested. If you receive NIL money you forfeit the scholarship.

The majority know they aren't going to be a pro so they can get their education or you can spend all your time learning your craft.

In a way it would be the same as BB. If you are drafted you go right into the minor league or u can go to the NCAA for 3 yrs before u can turn pro.

To me this is the fairest, freest and best way to go. 

Sorry for the rant have had this on my mind for awhile.

Edited by Duck 1972
Missing info

On 1/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Another bone to pick. I think we devalue the kids by making them have to be scholar/athletes. How many kids that get their degree end up doing the job in the same field. Not many.

The response to that is from the commercial we've all seen on TV, "How many players end up playing professionally?  The answer is not many, and it seems off because we think of the stars, but the average time a player stays in the NFL is under 5 years.

The "scholar-athlete" seems like a joke, but again I think that's because we focus on the stars, not every player, who will need to find something else to do when college is done. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, DUCKBILL said:

I want to thank all contributors on this topic. For me, this is one of the best discussions ever presented on the OBD forum. When it comes to the financial analysis of college football, I know of no one that does a more thorough job than Jon Joseph. It appears the NIL is the Pandora Box that's been opened. I see no possibility of college football being amateur  again.

We are now going to see the rich leagues dominating college football (if they are not already doing this) in the future. Super leagues will become the future. As I have stated before, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Washington, OSU, Stanford and other possibilities should form their own  "Ivy League". I have no interest in Oregon joining the professional football universities and their super leagues. I am going to open a great Oregon Pinot Noir and try not to think about this any more..

Once again, don't you think they're already there?  

They promote Olympics Sports as their claim to excellence, they promote academics over athletic prowess in the revenue sports, and  show little interest in garnering a television deal that will fund their respective Athletic Departments.

They're going to have Ivy League talent within ten years if they keep this up.  The middle tier schools are regularly losing to G5 programs already.  It won't be long before Mountain West schools start snatching PAC12 talent for themselves.

If you truly want Ivy League West, I'm afraid you won't have to wait long.  You're seeing it play out before your very eyes.  

Be careful what you wish for... Unless you really want Ivy League talent to go with Ivy League academic quality. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 7:22 PM, Mike West said:

Once again, don't you think they're already there?  

They promote Olympics Sports as their claim to excellence, they promote academics over athletic prowess in the revenue sports, and  show little interest in garnering a television deal that will fund their respective Athletic Departments.

They're going to have Ivy League talent within ten years if they keep this up.  The middle tier schools are regularly losing to G5 programs already.  It won't be long before Mountain West schools start snatching PAC12 talent for themselves.

If you truly want Ivy League West, I'm afraid you won't have to wait long.  You're seeing it play out before your very eyes.  

Be careful what you wish for... Unless you really want Ivy League talent to go with Ivy League academic quality. 

Mike, this is spot on my friend. It was very troubling to me that the thought of expansion was not simply dismissed, but dismissed with, "the Pac-12 is an exclusive club." 

If it is such, it's like a downtrodden old club filled with elderly gentlemen who cannot understand why new and younger members do not want to join and wonder how the furnishings can look so shabby when just 'yesterday' the club was rolling in capital?

The fact that this nonsense of a network has been kept on life support; well, that's not simply the lack of the business sense that was evidenced when the network was formed, but gross and on-going business negligence. As was keeping a know-nothing spendthrift of a commissioner on board for a decade plus. As was not increasing market size and moving into the Central time zone including Texas, while closing the doors of a competitor at the same time. Was any thought given to such an expansion possibly saving the network and achieving at least a break even ROI on the capital invested in the network?

Moving the conference HQ to San Francisco and operating the network out of San Francisco: 'Let them eat cake.'

The club decided not to expand 'at this time.' Where do the learned members think they can expand now that Bob Bowlsby has resurrected the B12. SMU, UTSA, RICE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE?

If this enterprise holds together or at least holds together as a P5 entity after the new media negotiations; well, I will be very surprised. Less than a handful of Pac-12 teams have the desire and the money to compete at the highest level of CFB. The UCLA athletic department is $40M in the red. How many folks in the Stanford administration give a whip if the games on The Farm are played in front of empty seats disguised as fans. The majority of professors at CAL would be happy to see CFB disappear.

I for one do not want to see Puddles plucked when the club closes its doors. And after SC reawakened and spent @$100M to secure Lincoln Riley's services, I don't see the Trojans hanging around and agreeing to share the same piece of a smaller pie, compared with the pies the B1G and the SEC are both baking, with Washington State, Oregon State and other 'partners' that will never be players on the national stage.

"Recruit better and win more." This cannot and will not happen without sufficient and significant investment being made by all members of the 'exclusive club.'  Good luck.

Go Ivy League? OK, but Autzen along with the already 'empty' stadiums in the conference, will be empty when the games kick off. And BTW, other than Stanford, most Pac-12 members are not endowed like the Ivy League schools. Not only will football fall to a lower level than the top G5 conferences, many sports now played at the varsity level will vanish or be played at the club level.

• Thanks 1

Mike, what the heck. Don't worry, be happy. 

The story will end the way it will end whether I fret about it or not.