McDuck

Who CAN Recruit?

Obviously a visiting recruit interacts with a large number of staff but I've always thought that off campus recruiting was the exclusive venue of the head coach (with limitations) and the ten person staff of on field assistants. 

Today Director of Recruiting Don Johnson tweeted the following.  He isn't an on field assistant.  In this new free for all of college sports does anybody know the rules?

He can meet with high school coaches and administrators?  Just guessing, as I thought the same as you.

Mr. FishDuck

If it is meeting with high school coaches and admin that is still a huge aspect of recruiting us building those relationships. Those are the people who can get out the early info and get coaches in contact with students. 

We usually just don't hear about this part of recruiting.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can go by the recruiting services and who they say you should recruit, or do the leg work required to develop your own lists. I think it is incredibly important to talk to the coaches who see the players, and better know their potential.

It is potential in almost every recruit which counts. There are certainly 5* players who have abilities some players will never reach. There are also heights no one knows a player will reach without really doing the hard work.

It sounds like this is why Don Johnson is so good. He doesn't just set up contact with top recruits from recruiting services. He pounds the pavement and gets to know where the hidden gems are and starts the work on those guys.

That is what makes the Oregon's great. We aren't going to always be able to pull the elite talent, but we can pull in the elite potential with the right effort.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Haywarduck said:

You can go by the recruiting services and who they say you should recruit, or do the leg work required to develop your own lists. I think it is incredibly important to talk to the coaches who see the players, and better know their potential.

It is potential in almost every recruit which counts. There are certainly 5* players who have abilities some players will never reach. There are also heights no one knows a player will reach without really doing the hard work.

It sounds like this is why Don Johnson is so good. He doesn't just set up contact with top recruits from recruiting services. He pounds the pavement and gets to know where the hidden gems are and starts the work on those guys.

That is what makes the Oregon's great. We aren't going to always be able to pull the elite talent, but we can pull in the elite potential with the right effort.

OK HW please give me your thoughts as to why Oregon can't get the best positional group every time? I mean it's about money right? Oregon we are hoping got this right and they really showed it by giving a DC 1.7 million and they've never gotten that type of money out to any coordinator on Oregon's staff. Look at what Oregon just went through four years of Mario and he did do a lot in those years we also found out he was what he was, not a great Xs and Os coach. We dodged a huge bullet and hopefully Oregon was one step ahead of us all. Oregon has to do this now. Thoughts!

• Like 1

Also just my thought's but do we really believe those seven 5 star recruit's all wanted to go to A@M and play and stay there for three plus years? Its really a whole lot to do with the Benjamin's.

I remember Chip saying that he had the assistant coaches talk with the teachers of the recruit's classes, the Guidance Counselor, and most of all....the Janitor!  He said that the Janitor sees students when "they are real" and can attest to what kind of person they are.  

So perhaps instead of having the assistant coaches do that interviewing with so many people...it is off-loaded to the Analyst staff?  Just guessing.

Mr. FishDuck

A staff member who is prohibited from direct off campus contact with a recruit is visiting high schools it is a violation waiting to happen.  For example if the staff member and the high school coach are meeting and a potential recruit walks in that is a secondary violation.  Should it happen a few times it could easily be considered a primary violation.  

It may be the case they are just doing background screening at a recruits school but it is akin to playing Russian roulette.  Recruiting rules must have changed.

Jon Joseph should know.) he follows that kind of stuff.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:53 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

OK HW please give me your thoughts as to why Oregon can't get the best positional group every time? I mean it's about money right? Oregon we are hoping got this right and they really showed it by giving a DC 1.7 million and they've never gotten that type of money out to any coordinator on Oregon's staff. Look at what Oregon just went through four years of Mario and he did do a lot in those years we also found out he was what he was, not a great Xs and Os coach. We dodged a huge bullet and hopefully Oregon was one step ahead of us all. Oregon has to do this now. Thoughts!

I am left wondering why we haven't ever really had an elite NFL receiver come through Oregon. We have had elite O-lineman, elite QB's multiple times and definitely elite RB's, but zip on the WR's. Why wouldn't a top receiver want to be part of that dynamic? 

I love the money being put toward defensive coaching, but the wideouts need to be a priority for us to get over the hump on winning it all. Bobby Moore was elite, but seldom have we seen greatness at receiver.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

.the Janitor!

And the towel boy.

Haven't ever had an elite WR at Oregon?  Bobby Moore, AKA Ahmad Rashad, was most certainly elite in the NFL (I know he mostly play RB as a Duck, but he was a WR as a Soph.).  As this ancient old brain recalls, Moore/Rashad was moved to RB because we really didn't have an RB as good as him when he was a Junior.

It seems the Director of Player Personnel is allowed in home visits.

I believe the key is he isn't alone but with another coach.