Haywarduck

When Does The Music Stop!

I suppose the high school kids sign Feb. 2nd, but then you have the JTT types who wait. Then there is the portal, but is there a limit on when that stops.

It seems like the whole roster game is musical chairs until, I don't really know anymore. Does anyone have a take on when rosters fill up and the transfer portal is effectively closed?

Until the music stops I don't know if I can really pay too much attention, it's making me sick!

61ndvm.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

During the AA Game I heard that No.1 recruit, OT, Josh Connerly will probably wait until March to announce where he's going.

Hey, there is no one in control that can make it stop. In CFB today we are faced with wide open free agency. Managing a roster in the NFL today is a piece of cake compared to CFB.

• Thumbs Up 1

We can't stop NIL money or the portal but the schoolsdo have control of scholarships. One way would be to means test in some way. We can say players who get NIL forefi a scholarship. Then they would be able to play without doing anything else but FB or going to class to get their degree if they so choose. I would keep them as students and be associated with the school.

Just got to think out of the box

Or...as fans we can not think about it at all.  I am only paying attention at a surface level in order to retain my intense fanhood and keep from going crazy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

NCAA is considering clamping down hard on players entering the portal at halftime and committing to the opposing team to finish the game . Sources say, They will likely have a ruling within 5 years .

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's a little like running a company with 150 employees.  You always have someone whining, someone deserving of a promotion but there's no place higher for them to go, someone leaving, someone applying, someone out sick, etc.  Talented people who don't want to work hard, hard workers who don't have that much talent, someone who puts hard work and talent together and then leaves for "greener pastures," someone you invest in and train who then leaves for another dollar an hour.

Get used to it - it ain't gonna get any better or any less confusing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember giving a well pay program at work for the employees. 

Gave a bonus if if you showed up for work every day at the end of the year.

Guess what, people quit calling in sick.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, Just Ducky said:

I remember giving a well pay program at work for the employees. 

Gave a bonus if if you showed up for work every day at the end of the year.

Guess what, people quit calling in sick.

Basically if someone is ill they knew you wouldn't believe them and came to work sick in order to make a little more money to make ends meet?

One thing Oregon could do is make the whole credit transfer easier for student athletes. If you transfer to Oregon your credits transfer more fully and you can graduate. 

Programs who focus on the student will do better in the end. A kid who wants to graduate is going to be a better teammate, and citizen in the end. It is also what is best for everyone.

There will always be the outliers who don't care about graduating and are destined for the NFL, but those aren't the norm. I hope Oregon can differentiate with their facilities and educational opportunities. A shift in the credit transfer rate would help the new normal within college athletics.

It does seem like the whole transfer portal NIL is going to leave many with their peak earning behind them, and broke, along with no college education, or credits which add up to anything. Not a great outcome and there needs to some adjustments by the colleges to make the opportunities for positive outcomes more likely.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/17/2022 at 11:34 PM, Maebee said:

NCAA is considering clamping down hard on players entering the portal at halftime and committing to the opposing team to finish the game . Sources say, They will likely have a ruling within 5 years .

Until then we could capitalize on this by offering any 5* who transfers before halftime the opportunity to pick the second halves uniform combination. Maybe a nike shoe made with their name could be created before the game to entice the elite talent over to our side. We could have the shoe in a box which explodes as the half ends if the player doesn't switch sides by then. We must compete in this new era!

A couple questions/observations:

The question has to do with how many recruits and transfers can be legally taken by a school. Every time someone leaves via portal or for the NFL or due to injury or anything else, my original thought is that it opens up a spot for a portal transfer coming in. But I think last year I read (here?) that a school can only take a limit of 25 new players between HS recruits and Portal transfers COMBINED??? 

All this can be very bad for a school. What if, through the various exit doors a school loses 40 players in a year... can they only receive 25 scholarship players to replace them?

My observation is that there is a limit of the use of the portal to ONE transfer per career. If a athlete transfers again (without being a graduate transfer) he/she would have to sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility.

This rule will lead to a little bit of stability down the line. If you are going to transfer through the portal... choose wisely...

On 1/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

It's a little like running a company with 150 employees.  You always have someone whining, someone deserving of a promotion but there's no place higher for them to go, someone leaving, someone applying, someone out sick, etc.  Talented people who don't want to work hard, hard workers who don't have that much talent, someone who puts hard work and talent together and then leaves for "greener pastures," someone you invest in and train who then leaves for another dollar an hour.

Get used to it - it ain't gonna get any better or any less confusing.

And all the employees are in their late teens and early 20s.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, Jon Sousa said:

A couple questions/observations:

The question has to do with how many recruits and transfers can be legally taken by a school. Every time someone leaves via portal or for the NFL or due to injury or anything else, my original thought is that it opens up a spot for a portal transfer coming in. But I think last year I read (here?) that a school can only take a limit of 25 new players between HS recruits and Portal transfers COMBINED??? 

All this can be very bad for a school. What if, through the various exit doors a school loses 40 players in a year... can they only receive 25 scholarship players to replace them?

My observation is that there is a limit of the use of the portal to ONE transfer per career. If a athlete transfers again (without being a graduate transfer) he/she would have to sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility.

This rule will lead to a little bit of stability down the line. If you are going to transfer through the portal... choose wisely...

This season, a school can have 92 players on scholarship instead of the usual cap of 85. But as Nick Saban among others has suggested, find an NIL funding booster to pay a 4 or 5 star's entire cost of education plus lots of money and a possible NFL draft pick does not count against the scholarship limit.

Open free agency with no way to control NIL deals? What's the bidding today for OK QB Caleb Williams' services?

How many schools are willing and able to pay $70M for the #1 recruiting class that A+M boosters just paid via NIL deals.

CFB needs a salary cap and limits on free agency. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Wow! The interesting--and sometimes humorous--discussion above just resulted in a HUGELY creative solution for FishDuck followers in my brain. Several years ago, the Trailblazers found the NBA's salary cap rules so challenging, they hired Tom Penn as their organization's salary cap expert. Charles, this is a great opportunity. You need to scour America for the foremost authority on the NIL, and then hire him/her/them to write weekly articles on the "ins" and "outs" of the NIL rules. To hell with football-related stuff; we all are pretty well-informed about the things we see on the football field during actual games. Let's hear more about the exciting new ways we're luring these kids to come entertain us on Saturdays.  It's the dawning of a new era...and I'm embracing it.

Hooray.gif

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This season, a school can have 92 players on scholarship instead of the usual cap of 85. But as Nick Saban among others has suggested, find an NIL funding booster to pay a 4 or 5 star's entire cost of education plus lots on money and a possible NFL draft pick does not count against the scholarship limit.

Open free agency with no way to control NIL deals? What's the bidding today for OK QB Caleb Williams' services?

How many schools are willing and able to pay $70M for the #1 recruiting class that A+M boosters just paid via NIL deals.

CFB needs a salary cap and limits on free agency. 

Or how about we join them Jon until this gets some sort of common senses take hold. Phil open the floodgates. Just my opinion and it's that we are going to see a difference now right now on how Oregon goes about this winning the NATTY. Are they willing to do whatever it takes with out cheating and win one for the Gipper. Is this a pipe dream or reality. I say Reality.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, WiseKwacker said:

Wow! The interesting--and sometimes humorous--discussion above just resulted in a HUGELY creative solution for FishDuck followers in my brain. Several years ago, the Trailblazers found the NBA's salary cap rules so challenging, they hired Tom Penn as their organization's salary cap expert. Charles, this is a great opportunity. You need to scour America for the foremost authority on the NIL, and then hire him/her/them to write weekly articles on the "ins" and "outs" of the NIL rules. To hell with football-related stuff; we all are pretty well-informed about the things we see on the football field during actual games. Let's hear more about the exciting new ways we're luring these kids to come entertain us on Saturdays.  It's the dawning of a new era...and I'm embracing it.

Hooray.gif

Rules? There are no stinkin' rules! Embrace 'it?' Want to pay $70M for the top recruiting class like A+M just did?  The Pac-12 is at a huge disadvantage in today's CFB financial 'arms race.'

On 1/17/2022 at 8:47 PM, Duck 1972 said:

We can't stop NIL money or the portal but the schoolsdo have control of scholarships. One way would be to means test in some way. We can say players who get NIL forefi a scholarship. Then they would be able to play without doing anything else but FB or going to class to get their degree if they so choose. I would keep them as students and be associated with the school.

Just got to think out of the box

Do 'this' and kiss top drawer recruits good-bye. No way any school in the SEC with the possible exception of Vandy, would consider limiting NIL in any way, shape or form. If you can't 'booster-up' with the $, too damn bad.

Love the humor; have to, because it’s such a pathetic joke. The beauty of out of control situations is that they eventually run smack into a wall or drown themselves. Either way is fine with me.

When that happens, the universities will once again have the chance to do what they should have done in the first place when this media-driven mad cash cow first started to raise its ugly head: funnel ALL sports-related income into general funds governed by boards of trustees who mutually agree to limit this arms race because they can now see it only leads to mutual self-destruction.

Agree to a certain percentage for athletic departments reviewable annually, and allow the NCAA to once again have the teeth to deal with the back alley deals driven by boosters.

If the Alabama’s and 5*s of this world bridle at such a decision, so be it.  If the NFL wants some kid bad enough and the kid wants to go, go the basketball route, and let them have him.

Education first; sports second. That’s the only way college sports can survive.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Charles, this is a great opportunity. You need to scour America for the foremost authority on the NIL, and then hire him/her/them to write weekly articles on the "ins" and "outs" of the NIL rules.

Sure.  I am always looking for something new to do...  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/18/2022 at 12:52 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Or how about we join them Jon until this gets some sort of common senses take hold. Phil open the floodgates. Just my opinion and it's that we are going to see a difference now right now on how Oregon goes about this winning the NATTY. Are they willing to do whatever it takes with out cheating and win one for the Gipper. Is this a pipe dream or reality. I say Reality.

'Invest' in KT, PK 'gets' this. Pay millions to HS kids who have yet to see the CFB field? I doubt that PK will go for 'this?' 

"Without cheating?' I'm sorry but I do not view A+M paying $70M for the top 2021 recruiting class as anything but 'cheating.'  

In this CFB financial race the Pac-12 is bringing a knife to a gun fight. 

But you are so right my friend, ante-up or fold. 

IMO, Oregon today has 2 choices: find a better more lucrative place to play; or, say to hell with the SEC and this so-called playoff and take back the Rose Bowl. If it's option 2, what will the B1G do? The B1G has the money to play 'pro ball' with the SEC. But does it want to? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Sure.  I am always looking for something new to do...  

giphy.gif

Hint: I think you are most likely find the expert(s) in College Station, Texas.

Maybe it isn't musical chairs?

61qm9m.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hint: I think you are most likely find the expert(s) in College Station, Texas.

One of the smartest, most successful guys I know said, you don't so much as invent things, you just find the smartest way to do something and do it better. I am not sure buying student athletes is the smartest way to do it. I have said it before, I think you will create a jail blazers team gone bad.

It is a great way to bring talent to a college. I am not sure it is the solution to creating the best team, or group of talented players.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/18/2022 at 1:34 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Love the humor; have to, because it’s such a pathetic joke. The beauty of out of control situations is that they eventually run smack into a wall or drown themselves. Either way is fine with me.

When that happens, the universities will once again have the chance to do what they should have done in the first place when this media-driven mad cash cow first started to raise its ugly head: funnel ALL sports-related income into general funds governed by boards of trustees who mutually agree to limit this arms race because they can now see it only leads to mutual self-destruction.

Agree to a certain percentage for athletic departments reviewable annually, and allow the NCAA to once again have the teeth to deal with the back alley deals driven by boosters.

If the Alabama’s and 5*s of this world bridle at such a decision, so be it.  If the NFL wants some kid bad enough and the kid wants to go, go the basketball route, and let them have him.

Education first; sports second. That’s the only way college sports can survive.

WW. Great take. But the NCAA is out of this after losing 9-0 vs Alston.

Each conference at the P5 level will have to decide what to do about pay for play and unrestricted free agency. 2 conference's have the ability to compete financially, the B1G and the SEC.  I'm hoping the B1G tells the SEC 'to go to Hades, academics matter in the B1G.'

If the B1G makes this decision, maybe Ohio State leaves the B1G but I doubt it? 

I do see the SEC adding Clemson + FSU and maybe a number of B12 schools, to form a super league? Perhaps even approach SC and Oregon to sign up? I can see Nebraska leaving the B1G and most other B1G members saying, 'good riddance.'

But I agree with you. Dump the PO, take back the Rose Bowl and bring back The Run For The Roses. Guys want to play CFB pro ball, join the SEC. Academics don't matter? You are not playing college football.

STOP scheduling SEC teams! STOP giving the SEC millions and millions of dollars in NY6 bowl money. 

Or, go somewhere else where Oregon can bring in more money than it will as a member of the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree that one option is to simply turn the SEC into a AAA league run by the NFL. But Alston does not effect rearming the NCAA from the vantage point of a booster-focused point of view. Alston effects caps on student-athlete benefits only; ie, academic related expenses.