DenverDuck

I Keep Having the Same Dream After Watching Georgia Win the 'Natty

Oregon has such a great opportunity to take another large step forward. We have a coach who has coached the best athletes in the country and already has experience dominating in the SEC, advancing in the playoff, and winning the natty. There's no reason he can't do the same thing in the PAC-12.

Ever since Lanning was named the coach and Georgia won the big one, I keep have a dream that Oregon makes it back to the playoff and wins it this time. Everyone talks about USC and its hire, but in my view Oregon sneaked in and got the hire with the most upside.

It's about time I joined this board and I can't be more excited for the future of Oregon football. It's going to be sunny in Autzen for a long time to come.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

DenverDuck...it is great to have you on-board with such an uplifting first post.  Do share your opinions often and WELCOME!

And speaking of Lanning about the defense?  You will get a tasty primer on his defense in an article tomorrow by Coach Boles!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/18/2022 at 10:40 PM, DenverDuck said:

Oregon has such a great opportunity to take another large step forward. We have a coach who has coached the best athletes in the country and already has experience dominating in the SEC, advancing in the playoff, and winning the natty. There's no reason he can't do the same thing in the PAC-12.

Ever since Lanning was named the coach and Georgia won the big one, I keep have a dream that Oregon makes it back to the playoff and wins it this time. Everyone talks about USC and its hire, but in my view Oregon sneaked in and got the hire with the most upside.

It's about time I joined this board and I can't be more excited for the future of Oregon football. It's going to be sunny in Autzen for a long time to come.

Love the enthusiasm. Love the that you are here and commenting. But last season's roster at UGA is going to be damn hard to duplicate in the Pac-12. The UGA roster preseason was ranked No. 2 in the country and just a bit behind Bama's No. 1 roster ranking. With all-time recruiting under Cristobal, the Ducks roster was ranked No. 9 in the preseason.

UGA had 1 off game last season. That UGA team smothered a very, very good Michigan football team.

I also think Lanning and friends have a great upside but it will be a work in progress. 

Has any new HC ever been handed a harder 1st year schedule, including opening on the road against the defending national champ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Denver Duck, welcome. Look forward to your comments and posts.

I love this forum and the Ducks. My concern is my recurring dream where the Ducks lose 1 game against a lesser opponent almost every year. This happens to all schools except the top CFP contenders. You cannot lose to the teams you should beat and expect to be in the CFP. Recruiting classes ranked 10-25 will not be making it to the CFP.

Couple that with some insane scheduling and the goal gets even tougher. I believe Coach Lanning has the potential to be a great coach. Time will tell.........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:21 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Denver Duck, welcome. Look forward to your comments and posts.

I love this forum and the Ducks. My concern is my recurring dream where the Ducks lose 1 game against a lesser opponent almost every year. This happens to all schools except the top CFP contenders. You cannot lose to the teams you should beat and expect to be in the CFP. Recruiting classes ranked 10-25 will not be making it to the CFP.

Couple that with some insane scheduling and the goal gets even tougher. I believe Coach Lanning has the potential to be a great coach. Time will tell.........

The reason is it's damn hard to go through a whole season undefeated

Those other players want to win as much as our guys.

It's also a mental challenge with a lot of things thrown in that has to be accounted for. And a lot these players are still kids. Etc

Even if you are more talented life can jump up and bite you. There are 4 or 5 teams a year that can overcome the odds but out of 120 teams those odds aren't great.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the fam, Denver!

On 1/18/2022 at 9:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Love the enthusiasm. Love the that you are here and commenting. But last season's roster at UGA is going to be damn hard to duplicate in the Pac-12. The UGA roster preseason was ranked No. 2 in the country and just a bit behind Bama's No. 1 roster ranking. With all-time recruiting under Cristobal, the Ducks roster was ranked No. 9 in the preseason.

UGA had 1 off game last season. That UGA team smothered a very, very good Michigan football team.

I also think Lanning and friends have a great upside but it will be a work in progress. 

Has any new HC ever been handed a harder 1st year schedule, including opening on the road against the defending national champ?

Honestly Jon I feel this is the easiest schedule they've had and it lays a foundation for the playoff. So we will see how this team competes with Lanning and his staff. Every game is winnable except Georgia and I'm certainly not going to count out Oregon against the Dogs because of the talent and our HC who just coached a natty defense against Bama. So to me this should be a 11-1 team and first PAC 12 team in since 2016 or whenever the Leg lifters were in. That was a nightmare.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Honestly Jon I feel this is the easiest schedule they've had and it lays a foundation for the playoff. So we will see how this team competes with Lanning and his staff. Every game is winnable except Georgia and I'm certainly not going to count out Oregon against the Dogs because of the talent and our HC who just coached a natty defense against Bama. So to me this should be a 11-1 team and first PAC 12 team in since 2016 or whenever the Leg lifters were in. That was a nightmare.

The 2023 OOC replaces 'at' UGA with at Texas Tech. And Oregon plays Portland St at home in Autzen before tripping to Lubbock. The game after Texas Tech is at home is versus Hawaii; no BYU. In 2023, Oregon plays 4, not 5, conference road games. I hereby rest my 2022 vs 2023 schedule case.

2022? I think you are selling Utah way short. Rising is clearly the starter at QB from day 1. Once Rising came on as a starter Utah lost 2 games. A rather inexplicable L at Oregon State and a close L vs OH ST without the Utes two starting CBs being able to play.  And the other Holy War team, BYU, will not be an easy out even in Autzen. No team since the Pac-10 went to the Pac-12 has gone 11-0 in conference play. I think 11-1 in 2022 with a new coaching staff and a new starter at QB would be a truly remarkable result. One of the best all time showings by a new HC in CFB history.

But I do hope your 2022 prediction is spot on.