McDuck

Mario Cristobal REJECTED by Another OC Candidate at Miami

On 1/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Gosh I look at things differently. I see reasons why things happened

In 19 we didn't have the WRs to go downfield much and a great line to run the ball.

20 covid

21 Injuries and an inconsistent QB who missed wide open guys downfield every game.  What would have happened if we just hit 1 or 2 of those. As far as the checkdowns that is on the QB.

I agree he had problems on the field.

One I see constantly being talked about and disagree with is his running the ball with to many yards to go.

I posit he was being careful to not make mistakes. Knowing the limitations with his squad he faced over the years this makes more sense to me.

I liked his philosophy of dominating both sides of the ball. He did want to take shots down the field and have explosive plays. The Ducks just didn't execute them.

I'm sorry but I believe he's going to be successful and will have the size and talent at Miami to be up in the best of the country every year

He's not the only one having problems with hiring staff. There has been so much turnover in coaching circles this year. in fact the most ever.

I don’t give him the same leeway, mostly because of obvious coaching blunders, lack of preparation, and very poor in game management. 

Who calls timeout on first down coming out of a half? 

In fact, look back at all the timeouts. Never strategic. Always reactionary and tied to confusion, poor clock management, not getting plays in on time and he used all the first half timeouts many many times. Lack of preparation. 

He showed poor clock management in several games. Couldn’t burn :12 against Utah and they run it back for a TD.  

And i think player development was inconsistent. Unit development stagnated. MC never had good special teams. 

The bottom line is the Ducks scored much less under MC, and considering the talent, underperformed massively. 

• Thumbs Up 4

If Bmac leaves Miami for Georgia that one is going to hurt MC really really badly.

At this rate it could be a real short honeymoon in Miami.

That with the loss of the turnover chain... ouch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose the coaches are all agreeing, Mario didn't need much help, I mean take much help on the sideline. It definitely is a stark contrast to what Oregon is experiencing. 

Mario's coaching flaws are compounded by the firing of Manny Diaz. When a program shows no loyalty, and the opportunity to move up, stay in a position, coaches don't see Miami as great opportunity. Miami and Mario made their bed, now they get to sleep in it.

It is interesting our last 4 coaches who left, or got fired (Helfrich) have struggled. Even Helfrich was given a pretty nice opportunity and struggled at Chicago. Now Mario is starting down this path, pretty rapidly. Oregon, where coaches thrive, and not so much when they leave.

Speaking of OC's Marcus Orroyo might be available. At 0-14 UNLV might be happy to see him leave.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, Haywarduck said:

I suppose the coaches are all agreeing, Mario didn't need much help, I mean take much help on the sideline. It definitely is a stark contrast to what Oregon is experiencing. 

Mario's coaching flaws are compounded by the firing of Manny Diaz. When a program shows no loyalty, and the opportunity to move up, stay in a position, coaches don't see Miami as great opportunity. Miami and Mario made their bed, now they get to sleep in it.

It is interesting our last 4 coaches who left, or got fired (Helfrich) have struggled. Even Helfrich was given a pretty nice opportunity and struggled at Chicago. Now Mario is starting down this path, pretty rapidly. Oregon, where coaches thrive, and not so much when they leave.

Speaking of OC's Marcus Orroyo might be available. At 0-14 UNLV might be happy to see him leave.

Exactly! The way Diaz, a guy who grew up in Miami and whose Dad was the mayor of Miami, was treated by Miami was shameful. The team in 2021 never quit on Diaz and Diaz had identified his QB of the future. He was recruiting quite well. IMO the hiring of Mario was a case of boosters running-amok. What game did the Miami decision makers watch last season and the season before, other than at Ohio State, that convinced them that Mario is a great coach?

Assistant coaches are not fans, they work for a living and the stiff arm they are giving Mario speaks on its own.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is starting to look like my efforts at finding a date to go to the prom. Many the offer. Many the, 'how about NO' response. Of course I was not offering money. Well, at least not this kind of money.

• Haha 5

Hey Mario try, 1-800-269663-9268-86-23-69-62 (anyone want to be my OC)

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, Steven A said:

Hey Mario try, 1-800-269663-9268-86-23-69-62 (anyone want to be my OC)

I called the number and got a 'dating' service. In Romania.

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 7:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I called the number and got a 'dating' service. In Romania.

How is Katrina?

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO the hiring of Mario was a case of boosters running-amok. What game did the Miami decision makers watch last season and the season before, other than at Ohio State, that convinced them that Mario is a great coach?

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting... I am really starting to believe that recruiting is more popular than the actual games. The way fans get on some of those recruiting boards is bonkers insane. They will turn their noses up on a three star kid with potential because they really want the four star kid. 

The media money right now is in recruiting and a ton of the college football program money is pouring into recruiting as NIL. 

The Miami boosters saw Cristobal pull in top 10 recruiting classes at Oregon, a talent poor state, and decided if he can do that there then he can do even better in Florida, which is quite possibly true. 

There is a whole swath of the fan base that only cares about recruiting and watches the games and is happy if we win and frustrated if we lose... But they are watching the recruiting side of things far more closely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/26/2022 at 7:58 PM, David Marsh said:

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting... I am really starting to believe that recruiting is more popular than the actual games. The way fans get on some of those recruiting boards is bonkers insane. They will turn their noses up on a three star kid with potential because they really want the four star kid. 

The media money right now is in recruiting and a ton of the college football program money is pouring into recruiting as NIL. 

The Miami boosters saw Cristobal pull in top 10 recruiting classes at Oregon, a talent poor state, and decided if he can do that there then he can do even better in Florida, which is quite possibly true. 

There is a whole swath of the fan base that only cares about recruiting and watches the games and is happy if we win and frustrated if we lose... But they are watching the recruiting side of things far more closely. 

Recruiting = hope--maybe true maybe not

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:31 PM, Steven A said:

How is Katrina?

She says she misses you.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:58 PM, David Marsh said:

I think recruiting is the latest shiny object the Oregon Football Program is focused on. Since the famous quote from Scott Frost stating you can't recruit to Oregon we seem to have a fascination with winning at recruiting to the detriment of what really matters. 

The ironic thing is the biggest recruiting win in the recent past was signing Justin Herbert, a little recruited hometown kid. He probably remains the biggest recruiting win the program has had, but we were focused on the 4* and 5* kids at the expense of the development and scheme which made Oregon great, in the past.

Hopefully we can combine these three elements going forward. Recruiting without development leaves you with talent on the bench and mediocrity from the transfer portal. That is what we have seen recently. There is still time to develop these student athlete's too! 

Time for recruiting both talent and potential along with development. Add that to a scheme designed to take advantage of the skills on the team and we have a roadmap to greatness. We should also sprinkle a strong culture throughout ,and we can move beyond winning the star game. 

I mean Jordon Davis the Outland Trophy winner at Georgia was a 3* 6' 6" 340lb. basketball playing football recruit. He was the 424th ranked recruit, and the 29th ranked DT prospect. I trust Lanning to again, do the work on finding talent, potential and desire. Time to bring back the Oregon formula, recruit, develop and scheme, with an emphasis on the last two.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Davis-86447/

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This is starting to look like my efforts at finding a date to go to the prom. Many the offer. Many the, 'how about NO' response. Of course I was not offering money. Well, at least not this kind of money.

I remember the worst response I ever received to that question... "No thanks. I think I'm doing something with my family that night!"

Ouch!

I eventually married the girl...

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 11:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

She says she misses you.

Figures

• Haha 2

When Lanning first appeared as a prospect I was far more interested in the performance of the Georgia defense than in his recruiting record.  Oregon, by its recent history, is not a difficult program for coaches cannot recruit players.  Frost's issues recruinting to Oregon were probably the same as his issues recruiting to Nebraska.  

Yes, it helps that Lanning has a good recruiting record.  But if he can't coach, don't we end up where we were last year?