BigDucksFan

Just a Rumor

With all the speculation of Oregon leaving the Pac-12 sometime in the coming years, others might be moving also. 

The specter of San Diego State Leaving the Mountain West bubbled to the surface again this week, with a Yahoo Sports report that the American Athletic Conference has “engaged with” SDSU and Boise State “about potentially joining”.

Remember it's just a rumor. 

I am not sure if that is a big "bump" for them?  Perhaps others would know better?

Mr. FishDuck

45 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

I am not sure if that is a big "bump" for them?

It would be a way for Boise State in particular to expand their brand; from the school with the funny blue turf stuck in Idaho, the AAC offers them national exposure with regularly scheduled games against Cincinnati, Tulsa, SMU and Navy, and the other conference teams. 

9 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

I am not sure if that is a big "bump" for them?  Perhaps others would know better?

It’s a fairly significant upgrade to go from the Mountain West to the AAC. Both financially and in terms of national perception. Football, and other sports, quality of competition is debatable. 

The Mountain West’s new TV deal means that each school will receive $4 million per year from the conference. In comparison AAC schools will get $7 million. For context and to show the enormous gulf between the P-5 and G-5:

Pac-12 $32.2 million per school

ACC $27-34 million

Big-12 $38-42 million

SEC $45.3 million

Big Ten $56 million 

The AAC gets a lot more positive press, and has been pushing the narrative that they should join the five big conferences. Wishful thinking on their part, but they do have some good programs and a few good years from UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati are certainly helping them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RatherBe said:

It’s a fairly significant upgrade to go from the Mountain West to the AAC.

RatherBe, you have quickly become one of my favorite posters because of your research, writing and the reasonable approach given to your posts.  Please keep offering your thoughts...

Mr. FishDuck

9 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

RatherBe, you have quickly become one of my favorite posters because of your research, writing and the reasonable approach given to your posts.  Please keep offering your thoughts...

Thanks, Fishduck! And thank you for providing the venue.