Jump to content
Boomer

The NCAA should stop the NIL, and the Transfer Portal!

Recommended Posts

These kids should be made to REALLY think about who they commit too! not just get up and go when you don't Play, work your BUTT off to make the Starting Line up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA can and will do neither. The NCAA lost the "NIL argument' 9-0 in front of the supreme court. With the new NCAA constitution approved yesterday the NCAA has shown that it wants little or nothing to do with the governance of big time college football. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The absolute stubbornness of the NCAA, school presidents and most AD'S led to this fiasco.  Let's not fool ourselves the presidents did not want to pay a dime for monthly stipends. Nor revenue share on jersey or clothing sales. If you take the time to reread the Canzano article a few days ago you will see that nothing has changed. The presidents at Oregon and Oregon State gave very little support or interest to our Oregon State Legislature on NIL or clothing sales. It's worth the read and was posted on this forum. 

 

Now the NCAA bails, these wussies that claim academic prowess want nothing to do with this, so guess what? The boosters, corporations and the networks run this show now.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I understand it, schools are in a no win situation. If they start paying the players a stipend as u suggest Congress will come in and blow up the cash cow of all of the other college sports.

 

The NCAA makes huge monies off CFB and C Basketball but that's it, no other sports make anything close to the cost. Then u bring in Title IX and there's not enough money unless things stay the same. Thus the boosters, corporations and networks.

 

 

This is the best idea they can come up with, a " new constitution". By calling it "amateur sports" they can avoid this delema and have since the beginning of the NCAA. 

 

As with everything it's extremely complicated with no easy answer so they kick the can down the road. The problem is, it eventually falls anyway.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, Boomer said:

These kids should be made to REALLY think about who they commit too!

So, do you mean "who" as in the school, or the coach?  Schools switch leagues, I'm looking at you UT and OU, where a player who didn't want to play in the SEC would be forced to.  Coaches leave and maybe the new coach won't run a system that is best fitted to your talents.

 

Personally, I like the "free agency" as it favors the athlete-student.  The fact that fans might suffer, I'm okay with that.

 

What are they "promised" by the recruiters?

 

The Jackson State kids who chose their school based upon perceived playing time, and now Deion brings in super 5*s with NIL deals and you are now looking at a 4 year bench riding at a lower division school you chose because of competition "at your level".  They should be able to up and leave for what they thought they were getting.

 

I realize that is an extreme example, but again, I am all for players' leverage.  It's their life.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard no.

 

Don’t be surprised to see a players union in the future force the NCAA to acknowledge that players make the game, and need more reward for accepting all the risks.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 12:40 PM, Steven A said:

So, do you mean "who" as in the school, or the coach?  Schools switch leagues, I'm looking at you UT and OU, where a player who didn't want to play in the SEC would be forced to.  Coaches leave and maybe the new coach won't run a system that is best fitted to your talents.

 

Personally, I like the "free agency" as it favors the athlete-student.  The fact that fans might suffer, I'm okay with that.

 

What are they "promised" by the recruiters?

 

The Jackson State kids who chose their school based upon perceived playing time, and now Deion brings in super 5*s with NIL deals and you are now looking at a 4 year bench riding at a lower division school you chose because of competition "at your level".  They should be able to up and leave for what they thought they were getting.

 

I realize that is an extreme example, but again, I am all for players' leverage.  It's their life.

I agree 100% once u take the emotion out of losing 1 of your own. Freedom and choices are always better than a top down controller.

Now each league can make their own rules. If you don't play nice you'll be shut out. Just like the Alliance and the SEC separating. Then we can have 1 game to determine a championship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I agree 100% once u take the emotion out of losing 1 of your own. Freedom and choices are always better than a top down controller.

Now each league can make their own rules. If you don't play nice you'll be shut out. Just like the Alliance and the SEC separating. Then we can have 1 game to determine a championship. 

 

Each Division and not each conference is now free to make its own rules and regulations. A group that cannot agree on an expanded post-season will come together with uniform rules? I very much doubt that 'this' will happen.

 

When CFB had co-champions the Sun still rose in the east.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA has lost control of everything, it's a free for all, Like why would Travis Dye switch to USC?, he can only play 1 year? What is the reasoning?

 

What are your thoughts on the PRO way of handling Players,  TRADING them? Thoughts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He graduated wants to go home with new wife and be around family after 4 years playing for the Ducks. It's just like him turning pro. Either way he's gone.

 

As far as trading players like the NFL I guess u can consider the coach being honest with a player, who I believe he still cares about, and just brought in a new couple of recruits or transfers telling him to check out the portal to see if he could improve his chance to play. That's kind of a trade isn't it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, Boomer said:

These kids should be made to REALLY think about who they commit too! not just get up and go when you don't Play, work your BUTT off to make the Starting Line up!

PLEASE! The NCAA in regard to NIL and the portal HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the NCAA refuses to govern their cash cows then they will end up loosing both to the NFL and NBA. We will be stuck with the outcome and who will stop them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, Just Ducky said:

If the NCAA refuses to govern their cash cows then they will end up loosing both to the NFL and NBA. We will be stuck with the outcome and who will stop them.

 

"D1" football postseason has never been under the aegis of the NCAA. The NCAA governed D1 in regards to eligibility and rule enforcement but never got a penny from the bowl games, the BCS or the playoff. The new NCAA constitution turns CFB rules, regulations and enforcement over to the conferences. I expect the P5/G5, 130 teams, to establish their own rules and regulations. The cash cow for the NCAA is the CBB Tournament.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, Boomer said:

These kids should be made to REALLY think about who they commit too! not just get up and go when you don't Play, work your BUTT off to make the Starting Line up!

Kids should not be allowed to transfer?  Give me a good reason other than you don't like it.   (And most recruits never ever make the starting line up.  They can work their butts off, do everything right and still not start.)

 

Kids should not be allowed to profit from their own name, image or likeness?  The US Supreme Court disagrees with you 9 to 0.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 4:45 PM, DuckHeart said:

Kids should not be allowed to transfer?  Give me a good reason other than you don't like it.   (And most recruits never ever make the starting line up.  They can work their butts off, do everything right and still not start.)

 

Kids should not be allowed to profit from their own name, image or likeness?  The US Supreme Court disagrees with you 9 to 0.

Good post and I get it. But IMO NIL should not be used to allow A+M boosters to pay $70M + to buy he best group of recruits or Texas paying each OL guy $50K. And transfers while they should be allowed should have some kind of notice requirement.

 

CFB has become the NFL without the NFL controls in place.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn't the new constitution the NCAA just passed allowed the Divisions to make rules to address these issues that they will follow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

When CFB had co-champions the Sun still rose in the east.

This is where it all started to go wrong, IMHO. The BCS was supposed to fix this; and it came up with Miami against Nebraska. Now, football is more or less just another entertainment production, players and coaches more like movie stars and directors, than the heroes who we watched playing and coaching at our school in the good old days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, 30Duck said:

This is where it all started to go wrong, IMHO. The BCS was supposed to fix this; and it came up with Miami against Nebraska. Now, football is more or less just another entertainment production, players and coaches more like movie stars and directors, than the heroes who we watched playing and coaching at our school in the good old days.

Spot ON! The day Tom Hansen put the Rose Bowl into the BCS was the day the SEC began to rise and the Pac-12 began to suffer. IMO, CFB was better as a regional game and never really needed "one true champion.."

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top