Just Ducky

USC Back on Top Much Sooner Than Thought?

Looks like the fans that wanted the Trojans back on top might get their wish sooner than later. Not sure how many scholarships Riley has left but he is quickly assembling a powerhouse and if he gets his guy at QB look out. 

Looks like that offense might have the potential to score 40 plus a game and that my friends is a scary thought. If a team is putting up that kind of numbers that means the other team doesn’t have the ball and your defense will be wore out chasing them around.

No one is sure what he will have in the trenches but it will be better than before.

Good thing we avoid having to play them twice next season cause that might not bode well.

Careful what you ask for my friends cause we just might get it.

This is painful to watch and listen to down here in Los Angeles. I get constant updates on the coming return of the Pete Carroll era and how the Trojans are going to take back their rightful place as the best in the west. Don't like seeing this level of success. Four signings for 2023 and three of them are five star recruits. Hope we finish 2022 strong and get some super strong 2023 signings because I need some retort ammunition.

Just got a text saying "there is a new Sheriff in town and his name is Lincoln Riley." Says with what he is doing in recruiting and transfer portal wouldn't be surprised if he won two National Championships and became a legend in LA. This will cement the SC legacy as one of the top three football programs ever! 

That's the way it is down here. I remind him they are building off of 4 - 8 team and have no lineman but the change in momentum since Helton is impressive.

Edited by LADuck

Weren't the dawgs predicted to go undefeated last year, just saying. The proof of a return is still a ways off. The preseason hype, still there. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest willville

USC can stick it where the sun does not shine. Look at Riley’s defenses at Oklahoma. Not great. They struggled with Kansas, Tulane and others. Go look at their schedule and tell me how vaunted they were. Aranda beat the hell out of Riley this past year. 

Don’t be surprised if UCLA takes them to the woodshed again. He is a good coach with Hollywood hype. 

Lanning will eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Go Ducks!

I'll believe it when I see it... it has been over a decade since the talking heads have said "USC is back" and it still hasn't happened yet. I do think Riley is the best coaching hire they have had since Carroll but that doesn't mean USC is back. Riley has more flash than Lanning but I think Lanning's defense may counter Riley's offense.

Also Whittingham has been pretty good at Utah but with better coaching I think Oregon surpasses Utah though Utah will be annoying and I think USC can surpass Utah with the recruiting we are currently seeing.

Also... if Riley fails to get his QB in Williams I think his house of cards falls apart his year. He has pushed out Slovis and Dart whether intentionally or not for the arrival of Williams and if Williams doesn't show then Riley is in for a world of hurt next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Riley was about to get exposed at Okie the same way MC was at Oregon. Riley IMO, is fools gold. 

• Haha 2

Most everything we read or hear coming out of the USC hype machine should be taken with a grain of salt. As usual, even before the National signing day has arrived the USC faithful, ESPN and the Socal media have awarded the PAC title to the Trojans. Been there, heard that and yet see them rebuild their dynasty.

Trojan fans should be excited at the off field developments. Riley is potentially a step up. But you still have to develop players and coach against Shaw, Whittington and others. Look at the talent our previous coach and his staff brought to Oregon. Yet did the Ducks make it to the CFP?

A All Star cast has to prove it on the field at a near perfect level.  Should the Trojans make it to the CFP then it's good for the PAC. Oregon will just have to step it up. Both teams need to be 12-0 or 11-1 when they meet in the PAC title game. Stop all the talk and posturing. Get it done on the field. That's goes for both teams.

• Thumbs Up 2

Riley is a far more dangerous opponent than was the clueless Clay Helton. Having paid @$100M to buy Riley from OK I think all systems are go at an awakening blue blood, including a big increase in the recruiting budget. Riley recruited well at a blue blood school in a state that doesn't produce many top 4/5* prospects. Every top guy from TX who went to OK was also pursued hard by TX and SEC schools. He now is in fertile recruiting ground. Who is going to be a big time challenger to Riley recruiting-wise in the Pac-12? Hopefully Lanning + the very good staff Dan has assembled. Anyone else?

The man took his team to the playoffs. The man produced Heisman winners. I'm not prepared to sell him and his team anywhere near as short as I read in many of these comments. He gets Caleb Williams and SC will be a contender for the south title in 2022.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I know it was brought up on earlier posts when he got hired but Marshall Malchow was a big hire and the Ducks will be bringing in talent at elite levels and the results will start happening quickly. Riley is a big improvement over Clay Helton and you can see which direction the new ship is going. This is going to be exciting to watch both coaches build their programs. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Love the comments, if for one reason only: the energy and excitement is coming back into interstate rivalries (well, except for the distempered puppies up north) and the league as a whole. Remember when those games got circled early on, and how incredible it was when we won? Love it that the Tinseltown Trojans are getting their swagger back! Bring it! This is what’s healthy for the PAC 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

USC doesn't have to play Oregon, but the Trojans have 5 games on the road. Probably not much worry at Stanford, but at Oregon State, Utah? Who knows what's happening at Arizona, and then at UCLA? 

• Like 1

247 Transfer Rankings post-Dye. SC up from 3 to 2; Ducks down from 40 to 42. Riley signs C Williams, SC will move to 1 and be hard to catch. I also think a number of guys would follow Williams to SC.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Riley is a far more dangerous opponent than was the clueless Clay Helton. Having paid @$100M to buy Riley from OK I think all systems are go at an awakening blue blood, including a big increase in the recruiting budget. Riley recruited well at a blue blood school in a state that doesn't produce many top 4/5* prospects. Every top guy from TX who went to OK was also pursued hard by TX and SEC schools. He now is in fertile recruiting ground. Who is going to be a big time challenger to Riley recruiting-wise in the Pac-12? Hopefully Lanning + the very good staff Dan has assembled. Anyone else?

The man took his team to the playoffs. The man produced Heisman winners. I'm not prepared to sell him and his team anywhere near as short as I read in many of these comments. He gets Caleb Williams and SC will be a contender for the south title in 2022.

I totally agree with your assessment. SC will rise again and much faster than we would hope. I’ll say it again if he gets his QB, which I think he probably will, Game over.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, Just Ducky said:

I’ll say it again if he gets his QB, which I think he probably will, Game over.

No doubt they will be good if he gets his quarterback, but we have not yet seen what Lanning can do with a defense.  The Pac-12 is going to be surprised...

And if this means that both Oregon and USC are in the nations TOP-TEN, that is good for the conference.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

"If he gets his quarterback game over."  

I would say, "If he gets his quarterback, game on!" 

Bryce Young is a pretty good quarterback, he was surrounded by top rung talent, and Lanning's defense did a decent job making a game of it. Not as if he'll be out of his league with SC.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Take a look at the Okie games against great defense. They shut him down.

It's weird but I notice a trend. It's tough to have a great defense and a great offense on the same team. (Look at Alabama) And a great defense will mostly win against a great offense without having both.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Take a look at the Okie games against great defense. They shut him down.

It's weird but I notice a trend. It's tough to have a great defense and a great offense on the same team. (Look at Alabama) And a great defense will mostly win against a great offense without having both.

UGA in the semi-final game in the Rose Bowl most certainly did not shut down Riley's O. It slowed the OK O down in the 2nd half and in OT but OK and Baker Mayfield put up plenty of points on the Dawgs.

Yeah but but I believe Alabama had top defense that year and they obliterated the Okies if I'm not mistaken.

USC is always awesome and highly rated and just plain unbeatable at this point in the season, year after year. And then?

• Like 1

I'm seeing Riley getting closer to Carroll at USC than staying at Helton level, and that's good, as I also see Lanning getting the Ducks back to where Kelly had them. Throw in Utah to not make it easy for USC in the South and the Pac-12 is much the better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, LADuck said:

Riley is a big improvement over Clay Helton

I think anyone but Lake would have been.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Yeah but but I believe Alabama had top defense that year and they obliterated the Okies if I'm not mistaken.

Didn't play that year. Bama played UGA in the final and won in OT with the Tua walk off TD pass.

• Thanks 1

Well, this is why we play the game. For whatever reason, USC has tended to show more hype than heart ever since John Robinson’s first tenure. Thinking back on our opening possessions from those days at the Coliseum, if we took their first punch without flinching, that legendary, blue blood Trojan mask would melt away, leaving just a bunch of dazed and confused players who were counting on the image —instead of themselves — to play the game.

How long it will take Riley to recreate the program is anybody’s guess. It may be more of an uphill chore than he anticipates. No tougher place on the planet to replace appearance with reality.

• Like 2

Talk is cheap. Im just going to wat until the season. We've all heard before how great USC is going to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad USC is making moves....I'm a firm believer that competition is always a good thing.  By USC getting back to what they historically have been, it will make Oregon compete in every aspect of their football program and they will be better for it.

Yes, this could lead to some disappointing losses in PAC-12 Championship games which will result in lost chances to play for natty's, but I believe that it will result in the PAC-12 getting teams in most years going forward and with that, Oregon will be that team to represent the PAC in some of these years.  And when they do get there, they will be better tested and more ready to compete against the other teams in the playoffs.  

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with you 100%. At worst it takes him a year or two to get things totally going, but there is no reason to believe he won't put out a product at least as good as what he produced at Oklahoma, which was pretty damn good. We should be very worried. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Talk is cheap.  We've all heard before how great USC is going to be.

Boy is that ever the truth!   Go Ducks!

• Like 1

Talk is cheap and they are generally overrated in every preseason poll year after year. However, this one feels a lot different. Let's face it ... Helton to Riley is one of the biggest coaching upgrades in recent P12 history. He is building excitement and is killing it in the transfer portal. Three five stars committed already for 2023 is evidence that things are on the upswing and as much as I won't admit it to any USC fan they are going to get a lot better soon. The facilities at SC are nowhere near as close to Duck level but there is a lot to be said for perfect weather all year round. If he could get kids to go to Norman I am sure he will continue to attract big time talent to Los Angeles.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:53 AM, Just Ducky said:

Looks like the fans that wanted the Trojans back on top might get their wish sooner than later. Not sure how many scholarships Riley has left but he is quickly assembling a powerhouse and if he gets his guy at QB look out. 

Looks like that offense might have the potential to score 40 plus a game and that my friends is a scary thought. If a team is putting up that kind of numbers that means the other team doesn’t have the ball and your defense will be wore out chasing them around.

No one is sure what he will have in the trenches but it will be better than before.

Good thing we avoid having to play them twice next season cause that might not bode well.

Careful what you ask for my friends cause we just might get it.

The thing about SC and Helton the last few years is for one Mario won the recruiting wars with them every year and it really wasn't close. When Helton was recruiting SC they weren't bringing in highly ranked Lineman. So you figure in 4 years of that and now I say no way SC is back unless this QB they allegedly are getting is everything and then some. I really think that Oregon and Utah will be the two best in the PAC 12. I believe Oregon is a great QB away from being right back on top more than I believe SC will be it. Just because Riley got the gig really doesn't hurt my feelings because he's not the best hire. Just my thoughts and they could be back, I just don't think it will happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

USC will be better...but.....they have not recruited quality lineman for the DL or OL yet. I suspect some are coming but even if they do, it will take a few years to get everything up to speed. Oregon's roster for next year is still superior.......and I also think Riley is not quite a totally rounded coach......Cristobal had his weaknesses.....so does Riley..... to be seen if he learns and becomes a defensive minded coach.  

They are actually increasing their main problems. Too much arrogance and too many prima donnas.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, fred flintstone said:

USC will be better...but.....they have not recruited quality lineman for the DL or OL yet. I suspect some are coming but even if they do, it will take a few years to get everything up to speed. Oregon's roster for next year is still superior.......and I also think Riley is not quite a totally rounded coach......Cristobal had his weaknesses.....so does Riley..... to be seen if he learns and becomes a defensive minded coach.  

Good take. Riley did get a very good OT out of the portal from UVA.

Klovis is at Pitt, Dart is headed somewhere, who does SC West have at QB if Williams chooses LSU?

Exactly.

He is already a proven product.  He replaced his very heralded starting QB mid season, showing he is about winning now.  

The Trojans might need help in the interior offensive line, but their talent elsewhere is very good.  That offensive will be explosive, which allows the defense to make mistakes.

USC is relevant. Now.  The second coming of Pete Carroll? No.  But kids are thinking about USC again.  

I hope Oregon fans are excited about this.  An undefeated Oregon versus an undefeated USC is a guaranteed playoff berth next year.... Maybe two.  

First things first though.  We need to go undefeated.  That settles all issues.  Especially with the schedule we have( I know you hate our 2022 schedule my friend, but I love it because it focused the mind on reality.  You must be your best to beat the best and nothing like playing the best gets your best from day one). 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, Mike West said:

USC is relevant. Now.  The second coming of Pete Carroll? No.  But kids are thinking about USC again.

Absolutely. Helton proved that SC isn't coach proof. But Riley got OK to the CFP and a couple of Heisman winners. Leinart and Bush are happy again. Trojan fans and the SoCal 4's & 5's are front runners. Oregon and USC fighting for the CFP is the only chance the Pac-12 has to get on the invitation list

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2022 at 2:10 PM, 30Duck said:

Klovis is at Pitt, Dart is headed somewhere, who does SC West have at QB if Williams chooses LSU?

I think Dart is in wait and see mode? Will return to SC if Williams opts instead for LSU or Ole Miss. I think Bennett coming back to UGA takes UGA out of the running. I'm sure Riley would not pull the kid's scholly.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, Mike West said:

We need to go undefeated. 

If the Ducks can get to 12-1, the only L being to Georgia in the 1st game, they'd have a good chance. The Committee loves re-matches. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SC will definitely be better with Riley, how much better? Let's see the product on the field. While Riley got to the playoffs he didn't do very well when he got there at OK. Is SC more of a blue blood than OK? Well at least not recently.

Sure it will help get a playoff bid if Oregon and SC meet for the conference championship undefeated. But if that means less players available for other teams in the conference because SC is skimming the cream off of the top, maybe not so good for the conference as a  whole or Oregon for that matter.

The question is can Oregon maintain its recruiting success in California against increased competition with SC and can some other programs improve to the point of being competitive with Oregon, SC and to some extent Utah. I'm not sure the rising of SC is a rising tide that will lift all boats. 

Interesting times coming. I like the position Oregon is in.

• Like 1