Haywarduck

Animal House

Being a slow week maybe we can share some Animal House memories. I for one did step foot into the Delta House, and a little more than a foot, no details. As most who went to Oregon, I spend time in many of the places where scenes were shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn't get the link to work, but I remember when the movie was made, and I've seen it a few times. I have set foot in the president's office where the horse collapses, when I was helping to chaperone kids in my daughter's 5th grade class. President Boyd talked to the kids for a few minutes (but not about Animal House 😉 ). I ate lunch at the restaurant near Dexter Lake where part of the movie was filmed--it was a few years later and the decor in part of one room at that time was as it looked in the movie.

I'm on the right.

AnimalHouse.jpg

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Well in my first year at Oregon I was in the Carson dorm building... that building showed up in the background of Animal House a couple of times. 

Cruised through Cottage Grove a couple times on the Faber College Homecoming parade route

The reason Oregon didn't turn down the movie being shot on campus as did some other 50+ schools before U of O (and no, it wasn't for lack of prowess), the then President of the university was at another college when they turned down a movie location and it turned out to be the Graduate, so he said "yes" this time.  And the rest is ...

• Thumbs Up 2

Want a brew? Don't cost nothin'.

Got laid on the 50 at Autzen!  It was cold n rainy. She didn’t get it. The movie that is!🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

At the Natty in Phoenix against Auburn, I met Otis Day at our hotel. He looks pretty much the same as he does in the movie. Pic to come if I can find it.

"Son, fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go though life."

"Can you guess what I am now?"

"Is that a pledge pin??? On your uniform???"

"He can't abuse our pledges like that. Only we can abuse our pledges."

"Welcome back to the Dexter Lake Club! We'd like to do a tune for you entitled Shama-lama-ding-dong. Now, hit it."

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do you mind if we dance with your dates?

On 1/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, David Marsh said:

Well in my first year at Oregon I was in the Carson dorm building

Me2!!!

The inside of the Delta house was the old Sigma Nu fraternity house. I was a Sigma Nu after the movie was filmed (1979). The basement of that house is where the original “Shout scene” was filmed.

Many toga parties took place  after that movie, and of course “Shout” was really required to be one of the songs blaring on the speaker system that was left by the film crew. More than once the police would arrive to quiet things down. Sacred Heart hospital was nearby. 

The outside of Delta house was an old run down house next door to the old Sigma Nu house. It was torn down long ago.

The Sigma Nu’s lost their charter and sold that house. It was on E 13th St., and the Mill race was conveniently located on the edge of the backyard. 

Great memories from those years…the Ducks were far from being a powerhouse football program back then. However, i still went to every home game and tailgated with at least a keg or two of beer in the back of my pickup. Good way to make lots of friends…lol

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother-in-law got about 100 bricks from when they tore the Delta house down. They now form a small patio and fire pit at our cabin on the Siuslaw.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know the current location of a certain hood ornament... looks like a statuesque young lady, with her hands clasped behind her head, and a working light at her feet.

Rumor has it she was "liberated" during a cast party at the DLC, by a couple (then) high school students.

Showed up one Christmas,  a couple years later, at an "ornament" exchange.

• Thumbs Up 2

You fxxxed up. You trusted us!

I've given this a lot of thought, you're Delta Tau Chi name is Flounder.

Flounder?

I thought there were blanks in that gun? There were blanks in that gun. Hooooly Spit!

I guess I am now on Forum double secret probation?

• Thumbs Up 1

Fawn Leibowitz?

The Omega House (Neidermayer!) was the frat I pledged (Phi Kappa Psi) in 1983.   In 1985 or 86, the Delta House (which was a women's health clinic I believe?) was condemned and demolished.  In between those two events, we held memorial parties inside for weeks.  Entertainment Tonight did a remote report from the site on the eve of destruction....my called the house immediately after seeing us on TV in the background.

As others mentioned the interiors of the Delta House were shot in the Sigma Nu house which bookended the Delta House on the side of East 11th.  Autzen Stadium has changed a lot....the Dexter lake Club, not so much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Robert Cray playing guitar in the band ... used to see him across from our rental. Remember seeing him and Curtis Salgado hanging out. Great music. Remember another band at the time called Lox Xplorers that were excellent and of course the Party Kings. Damn fun ... didn't know how good it was ... actually maybe I did!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:06 PM, BradPelican82 said:

Cruised through Cottage Grove a couple times on the Faber College Homecoming parade route

Was that you with the marbles in pocket! If so, Spot On!

• Haha 1

One of my evenings at the Dexter Lake Club. When I was a wee young lad my then brother-in-law's parents owned the Club. 

20161203_210250.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cannot believe all the cool stuff in this thread and the pictures.  Thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

I found the pic of Otis and me and my friend at the Natty! I'm on the left.

"If I were you, I'd be..."

"Leaving! What a good idea."

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

"She was going to make a pot for me..."

"You're all worthless and weak!"

"Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

I need to stop. 😄

FB_IMG_1643076321338.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Got laid on the 50 at Autzen!  It was cold n rainy. She didn’t get it. The movie that is!🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I think we have all had some deeply religious experiences at Autzen, I suppose some more than others.

I am sure the Animal House experiences abound.

62m17d.jpg

A few times, if the truth be told.

There were 2 duplex/cottages behind that frat. I lived in one for a few months.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a Sigma Nu, class of 2000.  We always had a yearly toga party.  Sigma Nu has a new house at 1851 Onyx St.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for posting this. Brought back a flood of memories.

Launched the smoke gernades providing the dramatic scene where the DeathMobile pierced through the smoke when Greg Marmalard pointed and exclamied ..... "Look !!!"  

Edited by BradPelican82
  • Thumbs Up 1