Duck 1972

You're the Coach...Your Decision?

Been putting together a list of recruits that we have shot at in 22. U have only 5 scholarships to dispense. Which 5 do you choose to be a Duck. Placed in no particular order.

#1 Khamari Terrell 4* CB TX.

#2 Dave Iluli 4 * IOL WA

#3 Jahil Florence 4* CB S CAL

#4 Jordan James 4* RB TN

#5 Christian Miller4/5* DL GA

#6 Josh Conerly5 * OL WA

#7 Jayden Davies Robinson 3/4* CB TX

#8 Arlis Broadingham 4* ATH WR/TE. S CAL

Transfer portal

#1 Jake Broussard 3*  RB COL 2 yrs remaining

#2 Chase Cota 3* WR UCLA 1 year remaining

Any other recruits/transfer I don't have here.

Remember u only have 5 scholarships. Also should u keep 1 or 2 if you have to pick up someone later. Have fun.

Great take. In 2022 I believe teams are allowed 85 plus 7 transfers? A 1 year exception. But with conferences now allowed to go their own way, who knows what the new scholarship limit will be?

• Thanks 1

I think the +7 might be limited to whether or not you get transfers.  For some reason I don't think it is a hard and fast rule.

• Like 1

Well, we need a running back and an edge rusher...bad.  Get what you can there and take from the wonderful list you created!

But Arlis Broadingham looks like a winner too!

L.A. Times' prep football back of year: Arlis Boardingham - Los Angeles  Times

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not in any particular order:

Jake Broussard has proven to be all conference level player.

Arlis Broadingham, I love the video I've seen of him.

Jahil Florence we need defensive backs

Dave Iuli (though about a toss up between him and Michael Connelly, if we get 6 schollies I take both)

Christian Miller is going to be really good.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did you mean Josh Conerly?

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. In 2022 I believe teams are allowed 85 plus 7 transfers? A 1 year exception. But with conferences now allowed to go their own way, who knows what the new scholarship limit will be?

The total scholarship count cannot exceed 85.  Signing classes are a maximum of 25 new signees.  There is a 'one time' exception which allows up to seven additional transfers if a school lost that many in the portal.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:18 PM, Steven A said:

I think the +7 might be limited to whether or not you get transfers.  For some reason I don't think it is a hard and fast rule.

It definitely includes 7 transfers. Way to help clear up the portal in light of COVID super seasons.

• Thanks 1

My thought is that at this time of year in the NFL, we get to read the umpteen articles giving draft grades after seeing the rookies perform over a year, and as usual it's a little over a 50% hit rate (or C/B average) for the first round. And this is with players who have been evaluated by the 'best in the business' and have a few years of college tape to go on.

My takeaway would be that, even if a raw recruit is a four or five star, if I only had five picks, I'd go with the proven three star who has shown he can succeed at that level. 

And this is especially true in this era when players are free to transfer out at will; there is no guarantee that you will get more years out of an incoming freshman than you will out of an incoming junior or senior transfer.

All that said:

Take the proven veterans:  Jake Broussard; Chase Cota

Take the linemen: Michael Connelly; Dave Iluli

For the fifth, I'd say take the best available player left - Defensive backs are more important than ever, but those tweener players who could be TE/Big WR/Light LB are more important than ever too, so maybe Arlis Broadingham would fit that mold.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a scout (obviously) so I'm not going to claim any knowledge of which are actually the best players or project to be the best players.  I'm looking at a combination of three things:

• Rating
  • Area of need
  • Location (want to get guys out of major recruiting areas to establish relationships and pipelines)

That said, I'm going with:

• Christian Miller (5 star, GA pipeline, always need DL)
  • Josh Conerly (5 star, take him from UW, always need OL)
  • Broussard or James (we badly need RB depth, James is from GA, one is higher rated but the other is proven)
  • Terrell or Florence (CA vs. TX, both very highly rated)
  • Probably Iuli, but Broadingham also looks appealing

I won't claim knowledge I simply don't have by trying to break down Broussard/James or Terrell/Florence based on YouTube highlights.  But a 5-star DL from SEC country?  Yes, please.

•  
  • Thanks 1

I only want non front runners who are hungry to compete.  No need for anyone else.

• Thanks 1

I would take whoever Dan picks up and see how it works out. I am flat out fascinated by Lanning and his ways. 

The coaches he has picked up are an amazing group of talented mentors. When Dan calls people not only answer they listen and sign up. That is an impressive thing for a young inexperienced, actually no experience, head coach. When you sign up up to coach under a head coach you are, much like in recruiting putting your future in his hands. 

Now we are watching him in action with recruits. I have a feeling he wants kids who are different than what Mario signed up. They may not be completely different, but I look forward to seeing any material difference in the types of kids he signs up. Mario talked about liking kids who couldn't live without football. I want to hear a description of what Dan looks for in a recruit. My hope is there is more of a potential outlook on his radar. We need athletes who have potential and character to develop and a willingness to lead and follow the path to greatness.

They will just be names, locations and star ratings for now. I want to begin to hear what they are to Dan, the coaches and what they become as Ducks. Exciting times indeed!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

My fave 5 from this list are

1. Josh Conerly OL

2. Jahlil Florence CB

3. Christian Miller DE

4. Arlis Boardingham WR

5. Jake Brousssard RB

• Thanks 1

I would look for kids that made their team better, that were hard workers on the field and in the classroom, that didn’t transfer in high school, and played on winning teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:50 AM, Duck1984 said:

I would look for kids that made their team better, that were hard workers on the field and in the classroom, that didn’t transfer in high school, and played on winning teams.

I wonder if there has been a study on the transfer kids. I would think a person could just study the IMC Academy in Florida and see how their star ratings have turned out once they got to college. Seems like there is definitely more hype with some of the transfer, multiple camp type of kids. Some deserve it, others it seems may have just paid the price for the hype. I know kicker camps are full of hype, often just hot air literally lifting the recruits into scholarships.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would take whoever Dan picks up and see how it works out. I am flat out fascinated by Lanning and his ways. 

The coaches he has picked up are an amazing group of talented mentors. When Dan calls people not only answer they listen and sign up. That is an impressive thing for a young inexperienced, actually no experience, head coach. When you sign up up to coach under a head coach you are, much like in recruiting putting your future in his hands. 

Now we are watching him in action with recruits. I have a feeling he wants kids who are different than what Mario signed up. They may not be completely different, but I look forward to seeing any material difference in the types of kids he signs up. Mario talked about liking kids who couldn't live without football. I want to hear a description of what Dan looks for in a recruit. My hope is there is more of a potential outlook on his radar. We need athletes who have potential and character to develop and a willingness to lead and follow the path to greatness.

They will just be names, locations and star ratings for now. I want to begin to hear what they are to Dan, the coaches and what they become as Ducks. Exciting times indeed!

Well Mario picked the wrong kids then if he wanted players who ate drank and slept football because there were 4 clear games that said they didn't want to play that day. The talent level against every team Oregon owned by a lot and they clearly didn't play up to their alleged potential.

• Thanks 1

You can never have enough 6 ft 5 335lb road graders who are 4 or 5 star players.

So Conerly

Luli

4 star not 5 star DL Miller

James

Florence

Kick in Arliss for free for all the headaches Mario caused.

• Thanks 1

As to question by Hayward about the type of person DL wants I don't believe he would offer a scholarship to anyone who he didn't want. He has offered everyone except for the transfers at this point. 

He has a personal long term relationship with Miller and James from recruiting them at UGA.

Sorry about some of the mistakes that have been pointed out.

I believe u have to go to need as well as talent.

We need 1 more DB so I take Terrell since it's a toss up between us and USC for Florence. RB I'd take James over Brossard I believe more upside.

We need WR depth so Broadingham and Cota. We always need the big boys so I go with Connelly over Iluli who was committed to MC and Miller can never have enough SEC type IDL. 

5 HS recruits and 1 transfer. That leaves me 2 transfers, as I read the rules from above posters, to pick up if needed before the season. Go Ducks Fly High

Edited by Duck 1972
Didn't finish accidentally posted.

I take the best at the most dire positions of need, which currently are RB, WR, CB and DL.   

If Conerly wants to come, sorry, but I am pulling a scholly from someone and granting them a medical redshirt (Greenfield or Wilhoite?)

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

You can never have enough 6 ft 5 335lb road graders who are 4 or 5 star players.

Like in most sports the freak athletes are the game changers. You need the guys who go over 300lbs and can move. You also have to look for the guys who make it look like it is a game of tag because they are so quick. 

The qb is the obvious game changer, but there are those guys on the field who you have to put two guys on. That makes the math of winning the game much easier. 

It seemed like Mario just saw the game as each guy winning their battle. The game can be a much more exciting game when there are players on the field who can beat multiple people on the way to dominating a game. I saw a little of this with Donte Thornton, and look forward to seeing more that in the players who take the field on offense and defense going forward. I suppose we have to put them in position to do this and try and use their talents too.

Just heard by nemic that Broussard has shut down all talks with other schools after visiting the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoa!  GREAT scoop Duck 1972, as most of us can't check every source.  I really appreciate the good people in this community that post links and information tidbits.

You gotta admit...with the departure of Verdell and Dye...he could start for a winner right-off-the-bat?

Both sides win.

CU Buffs running back Jarek Broussard enters transfer portal

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I also forgot to mention several recruits Nemic mentioned for 22. We have G Halton S Cal DL 4*,  T Williams OR 4* (committed to UO still) S and Winston OR 3* edge.

I guess we need to keep top Instate kids so I would take Williams and drop either Wilhote or Greenfield if they still have scholarships.