Charles Fischer

Mario Cristobal's DEADLINE DATE Has Passed: No OC or DC

The Miami sites are quiet and nobody is mentioning how yesterday was the date Mario promised to have both coordinators on-board.  At the moment...there is not anyone new who has rejected him.

How long has he been head coach at Miami and how long has Lanning been head coach at Oregon?  Didn't Mario have a week head-start while Lanning was preparing the Georgia defense to win the National Championship?  For those who wondered about Dan's ability to be a CEO?  I think his hiring of the Chief of Staff took a load off him and was brilliant.

Meanwhile the QB coach at Buffalo, Ken Dorsey, is now for certain not available.  (Daboll was the OC at Buffalo who was just hired by the NY Giants to be HC)

This is stunning since the media made a big splash about Mario, yet it is clear that the coaching community knows what the deal is.  Mario will end up hiring someone with light qualifications, or trying to rehab a damaged career; in other words--someone desperate.

Poor Mario; it makes me so sad!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Holy Smoke! Is that the Ken Dorsey who played at Miami? Mario cannot out-run what smart football folks watched on TV (and Joe Moorhead's health being negatively affected?)

• Thumbs Up 1

These stories of Mario’s woes and the fuskies howling the blues are almost as great as the UO progress reports. 

I didn’t expect this off season to be this much fun back in November.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do enjoy some entertainment in the forum, and my top three right now are...Husky Humblings, Mario's Missteps, and Cat GIFs of course.

I'm sure Mario will

figure it out.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Holy Smoke! Is that the Ken Dorsey who played at Miami?

Yes, it is. He's a true U legend; a 2-time Heisman Finalist. His last game was the Miami win over Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl.

image.jpeg.1ca87e3ac9efaf7dd7e8dfb0e971e82a.jpeg

On 1/29/2022 at 3:21 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes, it is. He's a true U legend; a 2-time Heisman Finalist. His last game was the Miami win over Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Talk about IN YOUR FACE! WOW!

• Like 1

This just makes me all the happier that he left and got Oregon a nice 9 mil in the process. 

There is a lesson to be learned through all of this that MC hasn't learned... He needs to let people do their jobs and really in the last year he got a reputation of not letting that happen. 

Before this last year you could realistically blame COVID for the 2020 season where the Moorhead offense never came together because off season and a rushed install with a new quarterback... Fine sure...

In 2018 and 2019 they had the quarterback but no receivers and pets face it... Arroyo isn't exactly a big time OC name either. So there were some interesting flashes but nothing spectacular and the roster wasn't really put together and no big time OC. 

But 2021 they choose to go with the grad transfer in Brown, they had a full off season to install the offense... And they HAD the roster at Oregon. And the results... 31 points per game (much better if you take out the two Utah games) and they didn't show up against Utah... TWICE! 

Also... DeRuyter is a good DC. He has a good rep... But with a super promising roster who by the end of the year had the expirence to finally back up their potential (though injuries were a probl) what did Oregon have to show for it... A pretty lack luster defense that really failed to make KT a super mega star that he could be. 

So yeah ... Glad we aren't sitting here right now with Cristobal with a massive contract and waiting to see at least who the next OC would be for the next couple of years before they decide this job is only hurting their career. 

Thank you Cristobal and Miami for paying us 9 mil and giving us an opportunity for greatness. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, David Marsh said:

Thank you Cristobal and Miami for paying us 9 mil and giving us an opportunity for greatness. 

If I could give you five thumbs up...I would!

Oh wait...I can!  👍👍👍👍👍

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/29/2022 at 5:08 PM, Notalot said:

Ed Reed indeed. Those kind of players are now in the SEC and not playing at Miami when there was NIL money flowing before the approval of NIL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2022 at 4:10 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I think Helfrich and Aliotti are available?

What a waste of their talent

• Haha 3

On 1/29/2022 at 2:08 PM, Notalot said:

Curious that I had to read clear to the last comment before anyone even mentioned Mario.  And that was to say they were expecting coaching, discipline and accountability that never happened under the previous coach's tenure...

Gonna be some disappointed folks...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The interesting thing is Ken Dorsey may have been the best choice, as head coach. Instead the hurricane alumni went after Mario and all the promise of what he did at Oregon, recruiting. The main problem, recruiting was, and will never be the issue at Miami. They needed a guy who can coach, bring discipline to the program. 

Maybe they will go after Dorsey once Mario stumbles. By then no one in their right mind will want to go to Miami, except for the money. What we are seeing is how a program should be built, and how not to try and build a program. Oregon is going after the future, while Miami is trying to rebuild the past, never a good plan.

• Thumbs Up 3

It probably would not bode well for MC to make the uncle who brought him back to the U look like a chump.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, Haywarduck said:

The interesting thing is Ken Dorsey may have been the best choice, as head coach. Instead the hurricane alumni went after Mario and all the promise of what he did at Oregon, recruiting. The main problem, recruiting was, and will never be the issue at Miami. They needed a guy who can coach, bring discipline to the program. 

Maybe they will go after Dorsey once Mario stumbles. By then no one in their right mind will want to go to Miami, except for the money. What we are seeing is how a program should be built, and how not to try and build a program. Oregon is going after the future, while Miami is trying to rebuild the past, never a good plan.

Repeat: Manny Diaz was doing a good job and the program was improving. The Miami players played hard for Manny even in defeat. Did the U boosters watch the Ducks in 2020 and 2021 other than catching the Ohio State game? Dorsey may well have been the better choice to replace Diaz but I don't think Diaz deserved to be fired in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 5

You'd think MC would have taken a cue from Slick Willie's ultimate destiny. Oh well, I'm all on board with Coach Lanning. Go Ducks!

On 1/29/2022 at 12:21 PM, 30Duck said:

Not to split hairs, but Dorseys last game was losing the Natty to tOSU in 2003 I believe. Still tremendous college career 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:10 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I think Helfrich and Aliotti are available?

Don't forget Dennis Erickson 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, shawnski said:

Not to split hairs, but Dorseys last game was losing the Natty to tOSU in 2003 I believe. Still tremendous college career 

According to U fans, that team lost to the refs. Kind of like the end of this season's game on The Farm.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

According to U fans, that team lost to the refs. Kind of like the end of this season's game on The Farm.

Yeah, we know what that's like. Still goes down as a L.

I also think they were undefeated at the time too. Guy lost only one or two games his whole career. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:11 AM, shawnski said:

Thank you. Yes, I remember that game, Double OT to thee Ohio State.

If you are part of the Miami faithful, you've got to be concerned at this point that Cristobal hasn't managed to secure an OC or a DC after a month trying. None of us who have watched Mario operate at Oregon are surprised. Letting Ken Dorsey slip through his fingers is an omen for things to come. Recruits aren't going to do you much good if you don't have the necessary coaches in place to coach them, on top of the fact that valuable time spent aligning an overall strategy is slipping away.  

This is looking more and more like the sequel to "Willie takes his dream job at FSU". Whether Cristobal manages to be successful or not, he will still ride off in the sunset a multimillionaire, but I don't see how this ends well for the University of Miami football program. That said, I'm thankful they rid us of Cristobal and that the stars aligned enabling us to secure Dan Lanning. You know it makes me want to shout!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, latracey said:

I'm thankful they rid us of Cristobal and that the stars aligned enabling us to secure Dan Lanning.

It turned out the best for Oregon by a mile, as I don't even want to take the time listing all the reasons why.  But I do have a new one...

His saga at Miami is going to provide some entertainment for me over the next three years!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, latracey said:

shout!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Repeat: Manny Diaz was doing a good job and the program was improving. The Miami players played hard for Manny even in defeat. Did the U boosters watch the Ducks in 2020 and 2021 other than catching the Ohio State game? Dorsey may well have been the better choice to replace Diaz but I don't think Diaz deserved to be fired in the first place.

Completely agree the firing of Diaz was poorly done and completely unnecessary. Manny didn't deserve to be fired, and the impatience shown by the Miami program wasn't just impatience it was a complete lack of understanding about what it takes to create a program they want. They have now hired a head coach who can't even get coaches, wait until they see how those coaches game plan, deal with in game situations, along with off field situations, the Mario formula.

The promise of Mario will be like the promise of a new stadium, over sold and underperformed. The wrecking ball will hit Mario way before it ever hits the school the big donor promised would come down to build a stadium. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It seems many folks are happy that Cristobal has not had a smooth start at Miami. Folks have a little grace. Mario was good to Oregon and we should want him to do well also (so long as he loses to Oregon head to head). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm in this camp. One can be critical of the how his departure came down, and of MC's limitations as a player developer and field general coach, but he stabilized the Oregon program when it was reeling from the Taggart departure and made us a national force again in recruiting and reputation. The job he took was at his alma mater where he won a national championship, in his home state, in a Cuban-American community that he was raised in and where his ailing mother lives along with his extended family. For heavens sake, wish the guy well. And be thankful that we appear to have found a new coach that can be everything Cristobal was and probably more.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, JohninChicago said:

It seems many folks are happy that Cristobal has not had a smooth start at Miami. Folks have a little grace. Mario was good to Oregon and we should want him to do well also (so long as he loses to Oregon head to head). 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As much as I wanted OSU to win that game (I was pulling for the underdog), the Miami fans are correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, JohninChicago said:

It seems many folks are happy that Cristobal has not had a smooth start at Miami.

For those on desktop...they can see a screenshot background behind the forum on this site.  It is of before a play on a scoring drive in the 'Shoe; Cristobal gave us that, and yes...I am grateful for it.

I don't know if saying that we are happy about his start is accurate, but stating that we are highly entertained by it is more accurate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, JohninChicago said:

I suggest you check out the FSU Oregon Rose Bowl  then tell me how good Cristobal was to Oregon with much higher recruits.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

For those on desktop...they can see a screenshot background behind the forum on this site.  It is of before a play on a scoring drive in the 'Shoe; Cristobal gave us that, and yes...I am grateful for it.

I don't know if saying that we are happy about his start is accurate, but stating that we are highly entertained by it is more accurate.

I too was entertained by the one game in 2021 where the team played up to its potential. As a human, I wish Mario well. As a CFB coach making @$9M a year, the man's a 62-60 fraud. As noted above, I don't think it will be long before Canes fans want Manny back. Folks are going to drive 30 miles to watch 'prevent offense?' 

He'll do OK in a crummy conference like the ACC simply on talent alone. But a final 4 and a championship? LOL!

Sounds like he has a DC

• Thumbs Up 1

who's the Ducks D coordinator?

Never mind Tosh is the man....