30Duck

Florence wants to "See the Love," Duck Fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh Geez.  That is a bit much?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and smile about our changing world.  SMH.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Give him a shout out in the PA and that should seal the deal! 🤩

Yeah, maybe commit, sign, earn a starting position and then feel the love at Autzen in the fall. Though it could be to see how much Duck fans support their teams. That folks can do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Next these guys will be tweeting: keep showing me the love or I will transfer.

• Haha 2
  • Like 2

I don't think he'll be the only recruit there, so I expect a great Pit Crew welcome and showing.

• Thumbs Up 1

“I want to see the love.”

There is something disturbing about that.

He’ll see the love when does something on the field.

• Thumbs Up 4

Didn't see Jahlil there, but watching the game on TV and they had Coach Lanning on for a few minutes.

Great to see him there, getting involved on campus. I'm more impressed with him all the time.

And show Jahlil a little love to. Had a friend whose daughter was a highly rated recruit a few years ago. It's a harder process on the recruit than some of us realize. Hope he's enjoying the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, DUCKED said:

“I want to see the love.”

There is something disturbing about that.

He’ll see the love when does something on the field.

Earn the love, bro.

Where do these spoiled, self-absorbed types get off?

Do athletes today earn stars for narcissism? What else would explain this complete lack of self awareness.

This attitude of entitlement makes me want to puke.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Say what is up? Love to, the future at Oregon, don't let it pass you by, commit. By commit I mean commit to becoming the best player and teammate you can become. That is the Oregon way, you win and we win, but it is a tough road. Learn to love the journey, and all it's difficulty, not just the moment.

So if 'you want to see the love' it will be there, you just have to earn it, and the love, it's tough love. This is football, not the prom, or a family reunion. There may be parties and reunions, but the love there will be from the memories of the battles won on the journey fought. Love and respect are earned through learning to enjoy the becoming the best student athlete you can become. Don't fool yourself, that is what you would be committing to become at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well for me, it is difficult to guage the intent of the tweet. These youngsters are 16 and 17 years old. Youngsters on a fun, fast paced, whirlwind weekend. Youngsters who are trying to determine if they want to spend the next few years in Eugene. Social life is a critical component in that decision. 

No way any of us can truly tell if that tweet was a notice me I am special or come and say hi. In reading the replies it appears that other recruits were just welcoming others to come say hi, too.

Turn the clock back to high school and for me a hello and a smile from a cute college coed would have been epic. Legendary perhaps.....

Last decade I had 6 teenage grandkids go thru college. Didn't always understand their texts sometimes. They spoke a different language. This decade brings 7 grandkids thru college and their older siblings from last decade don't understand the new language. It is so much fun to watch them interact.

The only common denominator was they love each other. 

Each new, young Duck will communicate in their own way. In the way they know how. Not how I want or feel they should. So I am going to enjoy them and show Jahlil and others the love. Come be a Duck and thru trial and error we will show you the love. And have fun. Hope you met some great fellow students this weekend.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 3

Would it be more acceptable if he said, "Hey, it will be great to see all you Duck fans at the game!" Why so much negativity attributed to words that you may be entirely misinterpreting? Maybe we need to heed our own advice!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

On 1/30/2022 at 7:07 AM, John Charles said:

Would it be more acceptable if he said, "Hey, it will be great to see all you Duck fans at the game!" Why so much negativity attributed to words that you may be entirely misinterpreting? Maybe we need to heed our own advice!

Excellent point and I completely agree.  And perhaps we could be more welcoming to the guy ... and to all visitors to the Ducks.  I think that's all he wanted.

We might be overanalyzing this just a bit. When I first read it I didn't think anything wrong with it, until I read the comments.

I took the the "wanna see the love" as him wanting to see the fans getting excited and supporting the basketball team. Ya know, Autzen and Oregon fans do have a reputation for that.

Could it be he just didn't word the intent of his post clearly? He is a high school kid. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/29/2022 at 6:27 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and smile about our changing world.  SMH.  

Your approach is better than mine. I SMH and head for the liquor cabinet while being thankful that I am on the back 9.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Darren Perkins said:

We might be overanalyzing this just a bit. When I first read it I didn't think anything wrong with it, until I read the comments.

I took the the "wanna see the love" as him wanting to see the fans getting excited and supporting the basketball team. Ya know, Autzen and Oregon fans do have a reputation for that.

Could it be he just didn't word the intent of his post clearly? He is a high school kid. 

I understand your comment Darren, and it makes me feel sad. When I was in HS most of the juniors and seniors were articulate. I also understand Happy to be a Duck's comments, but so long as I remain within the bounds of decorum, I am not going to regulate my speech to conform to what happens to be OK, as of this moment, on social media. IMO, our society keeps lowering the river instead of raising the bridge.

• Thumbs Up 2

I asked my son for a tweet ruling / interpretation. 

His response was, "The kid just wants you to say hi to him".  I followed-up by questioning the tone of tweet.  So Hunter (my son), could the tweet be construed as being somewhat "arrogant" or laced with entitlement?  The response was, "No, what are you talking about?!"  I decided this warranted a deeper dive.  We sat down and I asked him to basically break-down Jahlil's comment as if we were conjugating a sentence. He obliged. 

The first part "if you see me say what's up" is basically an open invitation to from Jahlil to please say "hi" to him if you recognize him.  Part II ("I wanna see the love"), which seems to be the questionable part of the comment, is his way of suggesting he wants to experience the friendliness of UO, and that he welcomes it with open arms.  

Me:  "Why wouldn't he just say that?"
Hunter:  "He did."  

Funny how terminology evolves.  Things that were once "cool" are now "fire".  If you haven't heard that yet...you will.  Feeling a little outdated, I asked my son another question.

Me:  "So, do you guys have a term for people, like me, who are over 50 years old?"
Hunter: "Nah, you're still just old, Dad.  But, for being as old as you are, you're still in really good shape."

Nothing like comforting words from your offspring to brighten your day.  He's lucky I love him!
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

This is exactly the reason it is so hard to put together a winning program. All the talent in the world is only as good as the effort they put in to be successful. Nothing is given to you now like it was in high school. Time to step up and do what is wright for the group. Not a time for anyone to be selfish.

• Thumbs Up 1

He wants us to want him but my question is does he want to be a Duck? I wasnt thrilled by the lack of motivation by some of our players last season. Ya, we can Blame MC but only so much. I saw players laughing on the sidelines when we were down on occasions and others not looking motivated on the field too often.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

He wants us to want him but my question is does he want to be a Duck? I wasnt thrilled by the lack of motivation by some of our players last season. Ya, we can Blame MC but only so much. I saw players laughing on the sidelines when we were down on occasions and others not looking motivated on the field too often.

I am with you 1Duck. Body language by some of our players last year was not good and it got worse at the first Utah game. You just aren’t going to get a team full of Dyes or Sewells. Just not possible but would be nice.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:39 AM, Jester said:
I asked my son for a tweet ruling / interpretation. 

His response was, "The kid just wants you to say hi to him".  I followed-up by questioning the tone of tweet.  So Hunter (my son), could the tweet be construed as being somewhat "arrogant" or laced with entitlement?  The response was, "No, what are you talking about?!"  I decided this warranted a deeper dive.  We sat down and I asked him to basically break-down Jahlil's comment as if we were conjugating a sentence. He obliged. 

The first part "if you see me say what's up" is basically an open invitation to from Jahlil to please say "hi" to him if you recognize him.  Part II ("I wanna see the love"), which seems to be the questionable part of the comment, is his way of suggesting he wants to experience the friendliness of UO, and that he welcomes it with open arms.  

Me:  "Why wouldn't he just say that?"
Hunter:  "He did."  

Funny how terminology evolves.  Things that were once "cool" are now "fire".  If you haven't heard that yet...you will.  Feeling a little outdated, I asked my son another question.

Me:  "So, do you guys have a term for people, like me, who are over 50 years old?"
Hunter: "Nah, you're still just old, Dad.  But, for being as old as you are, you're still in really good shape."

Nothing like comforting words from your offspring to brighten your day.  He's lucky I love him!

Totally, how your son read it is essentially how I read it. Technically speaking, those who have an issue with it are correct, technically speaking.

But as so often in life, with people of all ages (not just the young) and in various circumstances, we need to dig a little deeper and try to interpret what is meant, and not simply what is literally said. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think we are being way too critical.  It’s not Florece’s responsibility or fault that we (as a culture) continually fall for the “entitlement” narrative.  We certainly shouldn’t take our bias out on him. 

I take his tweet in good faith that he is just friendly.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Come on, this kid (yes, what 17) is acting like I did when I was , what 17! Cut him some slack. Everyone has been telling him how great the Oregon fans are and how much love he will get from them and he wants to see for himself. I hope he hasn't been reading this thread or USC here we come.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, OhioDuck said:

I hope he hasn't been reading this thread or USC here we come.

If thats all it would take I wouldnt want him here. There should a logical reason he would want to go to the U of O

Im going to rant --a typical California 4* is = to maybe a 3* SEC type player at best. Personally I prefer recruiting Texas. and I would like both the Ducks and Beavers to start in state programs to keep our good high school players in state. Bama starts recruiting in state at the 8th grade level.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1