FishDuck Article

Lanning Laws: “That Won’t Last a Week at Oregon”

The Oregon fan base is excited about the arrival and results thus far of Head Coach Dan Lanning. Yet we know very little about him beyond the obvious résumé stuff we all read. What are his unique values and priorities in making a championship defense, that he is now embedding into the complete team at Oregon? For answers, I went ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article Charles Thanks so much for the info about how DL is going to run things on the mental side.

I guess my only question is how is he going to get current players to buy in.

I, for one, am excited to observe the process in action.

Some of the young players come from rough areas, with little to no background of true discipline.

Could be a rough road for some... Including some fans.

I wrote about what Urban did with the black stripe on the Ohio State football helmet. This is a very explicit attempt to get the players to buy into the process a coach is trying create. I wonder what Lanning has up his sleeve. As far as the showboating, this is another extremely important way to create the right culture.

Team is more important than player is the number one item. We have the players, we don't have the team, yet. With these two directions the team just might come together. It won't be an easy path for a young and new head coach. He will need something like Urban created or just an incredible will power. We have talked about scheme for a few years, it is nice to see the culture issue get the focus it needs.

Elite, enabled individuals may never have experienced a culture like Georgia's. What was interesting about Georgia was the amount of tranfers within the elite talent pool. This seems to be another element we are going to need to get used to in this new era. Some of these prima donnas aren't going to take real well to learning they aren't all that and a bag of chips, anymore. Recruiting hungry, talented, coachable 3* and 4* star players will be critical to this mission.

Execution as a team is difficult, execution of these team goals will also be difficult from a young new coach. They are easy to talk about, I will be interested to watch the implementation of these goals and the process of accomplishing them. This will be the much less visible battle we will all want won before the season begins and as the season progresses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good article.  I got pretty tired last year watching the "look at me, look at me" antics of some of our players.  Did you make a play?  Act like you've done it before and plan to do it again.

• Like 1

I like that de recruitment part. Those stars mean nothing until you hit the field at college level.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was very annoyed on numerous occasions last fall as we got dumb 15 yard penalties, and I fully believe that was on MC as the head coach, the culture he created, and the assistants to some degree.  I saw a lot of Duck showboating and trash talking after plays where it clearly wasn't earned, just like the one you mention where he got burned, and the D got lucky.

That Rams-Niners game, seemed like there were no holding or false start penalties.  MC made an emphasis on penalties his first couple seasons in Eugene, and we were one of the worst in FBS.  He did improve it a lot, but the last two seasons...seems like the penalty numbers went way up again.  That's coaching and discipline.  Looking forward to what Lanning brings!

The "de-recruitment process"...perfect!  Especially with all this NIL garbage, may be even harder to get the entitlement attitudes out of some kids.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/31/2022 at 7:33 AM, woundedknees said:

I, for one, am excited to observe the process in action.

Some of the young players come from rough areas, with little to no background of true discipline.

Could be a rough road for some... Including some fans.

Good comment on a terrific take by Charles.

Georgia recruits and signs plenty of kids who grew up in tough neighborhoods and under difficult financial circumstances. So does the Marine Corps. Appears that both at UGA and in the Corps you shape up or ship out. I do note that it is easier to discipline 4 and 5* recruits when you have a roster full of these guys. Under Mario, Oregon's roster was 'Blue Chip' in name only. One reason for this is that Mario kept much of the Blue Chip talent on the bench. In Lanning, Oregon is getting a 'grandson' off of the Saban coaching tree. This brings hope and enthusiasm. 

De-recruiting, I get it. But a closer to home example I also get; Whittingham coaching guys up in Salt Lake City. Playing as a team and playing with 'controlled ferocity.' Lanning is going to have to do both at Oregon. I hope and think Lanning will bring in ballers. However, playing in the Pac-12 I doubt that he will ever be able to duplicate the talent level on the 2021 Georgia roster. Michigan in 2021 was a very good football team. Georgia smothered Michigan.

What I most want to see in 2022. The players fired up to play and ready to play against every level of opponent. THIS you can do no matter the number of 'studs' on a given roster.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

De-recruiting, I get it. But a closer to home example I also get; Whittingham coaching guys up in Salt Lake City. Playing as a team and playing with 'controlled ferocity.' Lanning is going to have to do both at Oregon. I hope and think Lanning will bring in ballers. However, playing in the Pac-12 I doubt that he will ever be able to duplicate the talent level on the 2021 Georgia roster.

It is only a recent problem at Oregon really that we have this problem with so much top tier talent failing to live up to their potential. For most of our history as a program we had more in common with Utah and having to recruit 3-star diamonds in the rough rather than finding ready made talent.

Though I have heard numerous college coaches say it over the years that the vast majority of high school talent needs to be brought in and retaught the game of football. Tackling being one of the biggest aspects that needs to be retaught at college mostly because even those three-star players were big fish in a relatively small pond so they could be sloppy in technique and still dominate.

I really want to see Oregon as a sound fundamental team which is something that Cristobal preached but never really delivered on... perhaps it has something to do with the discipline or lack there of on Cristobal's Oregon teams.

I also doubt that Lanning even with this amazing recruiting staff will be able to bring in the same caliber of players consistently that is on Georgia and Alabama's roster, at least not those big defensive linemen. However, I still think he can build a scheme to get the most out of the players he can get and build a championship winning team.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, David Marsh said:

I really want to see Oregon as a sound fundamental team

This. It is what we saw with Georgia and Alabama. Too many times we see a player try to go for the Big hit, rather than wrapping up and bringing the ball carrier down. This can result in a spearing call or often a missed tackle completely.

Pass defense too, as Charles mentioned in the Ohio State game. Our guy was burned, got lucky, and then talked trash? Ridiculous. I'd love to see a lock down corner, who eventually gets a rep so clear that no passes are even thrown in his direction anymore. 

Being happy as a team after you get a 3 and out is fine, or a big stop. But showboating  on just making a tackle? Fundamentals aren't flashy, but they work.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, 30Duck said:

I'd love to see a lock down corner, who eventually gets a rep so clear that no passes are even thrown in his direction anymore. 

I want to see a scheme that enables this... giving up yards of padding in coverage isn't helping our corners and safeties either.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, 30Duck said:

Being happy as a team after you get a 3 and out is fine, or a big stop. But showboating  on just making a tackle? Fundamentals aren't flashy, but they work.

I think the defensive players should not celebrate until they've stopped the other team, whether by forcing a punt, stopping on 4th down, creating a fumble, or by interception. Many times, with teams both college and professional, we've seen a great defensive play on first or second down, only to be followed by the opponent then getting a first down. And even when  the defense has prevailed, they should celebrate with their teammates, not by trash talking.

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Wow! Great article, Charles. As a guy who was thinking Justin Wilcox would be a solid add as our next head coach, I'm getting more excited by the day about what Coach Lanning is going to bring to the table as head coach. The two points you highlighted in your article are critical, I think, to long-term success for this program. For all of us old guys, the showboating and huffing after plays gets really irritating, particularly--as you point out--when it's done after a play that wasn't even good.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished the Duck head coach (going back before Cristobal) would bring none other than Barry Sanders into the locker room to give his "Act Like You've Been There Before" speech to Duck players. (Gotta say, Travis Dye always exemplified this humility ethic in my memory.) In my view, the most demoralizing tactic to crush your opponent's psyche is silence and an icy cold stare.

The second point is one I've not given much thought in the past. Clearly, we all see an increasing number of athletes jump into the transfer portal when their actual playing time doesn't match up with their expected playing time. I'll be anxious to see if there's a drop-off in this kind of thing as Lanning's staff lets kids know from day #1 that ALL their teammates were high school stars and that it's what you do on the field NOW that determines how much and when you play for the Ducks.

Obviously, it's not going to eliminate Duck players entering the transfer portal, but it stands to reason that it will likely curtail the trend a bit.  And, those that DO transfer are more likely to be the kids you don't really want sitting on your bench as malcontents, anyway. That's a plus. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/31/2022 at 9:44 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Clearly, we all see an increasing number of athletes jump into the transfer portal when their actual playing time doesn't match up with their expected playing time.

Well, I would agree with you that more players will hang in there longer, but I also think we will have many players that will say almost immediately, "Hell-no," to losing their current status within the team.  Thus we are going to be very disappointed with many who leave after Spring Football, hence I think the transfer number in the end will be a bit higher.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and discussion, but do consider sharing the article on your Social Media and send the link to anyone you know who is a Duck fan.  I think this is important information for the fans to know about Coach Lanning!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/31/2022 at 12:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I would agree with you that more players will hang in there longer, but I also think we will have many players that will say almost immediately, "Hell-no," to losing their current status within the team.  Thus we are going to be very disappointed with many who leave after Spring Football, hence I think the transfer number in the end will be a bit higher.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and discussion, but do consider sharing the article on your Social Media and send the link to anyone you know who is a Duck fan.  I think this is important information for the fans to know about Coach Lanning!

Charles, ESPN reports today that there are 3,000 players in the portal. Far more than scholarships available. Thanks for the terrific article.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is what I was thinking as well, so we can't freak out when a lot of players hit the portal, and think, "Lanning doesn't know what he's doing!" ... when in fact he knows exactly what he is doing. Just gotta trust the process. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Can't help but think about Rich Brooks taking Tony Cherry by the face mast and dragging him off the field, yelling at him all the way to the sidelines, after Cherry taunted the Stanford DB while going for an 80 yd TD.  I hate the hot dogging and I hope Mr. Lanning puts a lid on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

How many players are named as a starter based upon their showboating and trash talking abilities?

Emotions can run high in any given game. Teaching the players how to channel those emotions would be a welcome step in the right direction. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Fundamental approach. Strip the disrespect and cockiyness from the adolescent, and build a man who displays self respect, control, and the maturity of a grown man.

Men of Oregon. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

The celebration of making a great play should be the players running over to help you up. A pat on the back while helping you should be the extent of it. Hopefully the focus of the program will be creating student athletes who are an asset to our great society.

I think this speaks to the whole opportunity a coach has to help mold the individual, not just the football player. It isn't just an opportunity, it is part of Dan Lanning's job. It is nice to hear he takes that seriously. The trick will be how he can functionally do it while creating a winning program. Goals are easy, reaching those goals is where the bumps in the road occur, as many have pointed out with our Mario experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, FG Lumber said:

Can't help but think about Rich Brooks taking Tony Cherry by the face mast and dragging him off the field, yelling at him all the way to the sidelines, after Cherry taunted the Stanford DB while going for an 80 yd TD.  I hate the hot dogging and I hope Mr. Lanning puts a lid on it.

Rod Gilmore would not approve.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:00 PM, McDuck said:

Rod Gilmore would not approve.

Neither did Jen Cohen at UW. 

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

The celebration of making a great play should be the players running over to help you up. A pat on the back while helping you should be the extent of it. Hopefully the focus of the program will be creating student athletes who are an asset to our great society.

I think this speaks to the whole opportunity a coach has to help mold the individual, not just the football player. It isn't just an opportunity, it is part of Dan Lanning's job. It is nice to hear he takes that seriously. The trick will be how he can functionally do it while creating a winning program. Goals are easy, reaching those goals is where the bumps in the road occur, as many have pointed out with our Mario experience.

I think 'this issue' kind of speaks to the whole of society today? But that's an old timer's POV.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

IIRC a DUCK was the first player to receive an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for showboating by doing a front flip while crossing the goal line on a long TD reception.

Happened way back in the Brooks Era.

A proud footnote for all DUCK fans, right?

If the pros do it it filters down through the ranks of college to youths. 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think 'this issue' kind of speaks to the whole of society today? But that's an old timer's POV.

Somehow, even the act of simply carrying the ball all the way into the endzone became un-cool, as we saw in Utah. I can't understand this at all, but it happens often. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, 30Duck said:

Somehow, even the act of simply carrying the ball all the way into the endzone became un-cool, as we saw in Utah. I can't understand this at all, but it happens often. 

I never get tired of watching that replay!

I honestly think most kids would respond positively to this type of attitude. Football is a team sport and they all know it. Showboating is a learned behavior. It happens only where it's tolerated.

However, celebrating with teammates is often a means to continue the enthusiasm or "juice" as they say. 

Success is also contagious. A good play celebrated can "rub off" on a teammate. 

I think coach Lanning is one who relates well to players and they like his enthusiasm and respect him because he is consistent and keeps his word. They will want to play for him. I believe all his coaching hires are similar type of men.

We will have a lot to watch and enjoy as our team develops its own character, modeled after our head coach.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I'm sure in this transition period there will be some transfers out. That's always the case--with some coaches over the years being infamous for running off many recruits of the predecessor. For both coach and player, "fit" is important. I'm just hopeful--based on what your Georgia contact described of Lanning's approach--that, after a few years in the job, Lanning instills that philosophy to the degree that his recruits generally know what's coming before they first arrive on campus, and that he flat out recruits kids who won't be butt-hurt by those kinds of remarks from the coaching staff when they hear them in person.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:12 PM, DanLduck said:

I honestly think most kids would respond positively to this type of attitude. Football is a team sport and they all know it. Showboating is a learned behavior. It happens only where it's tolerated.

However, celebrating with teammates is often a means to continue the enthusiasm or "juice" as they say. 

Success is also contagious. A good play celebrated can "rub off" on a teammate. 

I think coach Lanning is one who relates well to players and they like his enthusiasm and respect him because he is consistent and keeps his word. They will want to play for him. I believe all his coaching hires are similar type of men.

We will have a lot to watch and enjoy as our team develops its own character, modeled after our head coach.

Great take. As I have noted before we may need patience with Lanning and the new staff. I don't know of any new HC who has been handed a tougher opener, a tougher OOC schedule and also having to play 5 conference games on the road with an untested QB; thank you Mario. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

23m53d.jpg.fa89f313ac5f8d66dd707d3b364903ef.jpg

• Haha 2

Disrespect for other players runs all through football. Mostly noted by wide receivers and corner backs. MC never got it under control at Oregon and was probably the most disappointing part of his so called culture rant every time we heard him talk. To many penalties on or at the end of crucial 3rd downs. Get up dust yourself off and get your butt ready for the next play. I think DL is definitely headed down the correct path.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If Lanning can reduce or eliminate showboating, trash talking and taunting penalties he will be an upgrade for the Ducks.

There are few things that disgust me more than these defensive backs who dance around taunting like they did something when an open receiver drops a catch, or worse yet, these showboating displays after points are scored.

Handing the ball to the ref after the score is a class act.  Marcus showed us that regularly.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Been there done that.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:32 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Been there done that.

Exactly, act like you expected it, not something you might not be able to repeat. Get beat, try harder, smarter next time. Thank the guy for taking you to school, and do the homework!

• Thumbs Up 1

As a UGA fan, I joined this site to learn as much as I could about our first opponent as well as to see how things are going for Coach Lanning, I want to compliment you on this website.  You can tell you make a concerted effort to be informative and civil.  Kudos.

I just wanted to touch on this article for just a second.  One thing that Kirby always talked about when he was asked about the play and the discipline of his team was the leadership of the team.  This year's team was a lot like the 2017 team in that we had a lot of veteran leadership.  In my opinion that is the hardest thing to cultivate in a team.

The reason it is so hard in most cases you need to recruit good players, who then have to have the time to become leaders.  If your leaders are upperclassmen who quite frankly are not as good as the newcomers, it is tough to convince young five star players they should listen to older, wiser players if those older players are slower and weaker.  

UGA had an advantage in that when Kirby got there, Mark Richt had recruited good players but also high character guys who were natural leaders.  Michel, Chubb, Roquan to name a few.  So even when recruiting got better, a lot better in some cases, under Kirby, the new hot shot recruits respected the older players.  Then we recruit our own future leaders like Nakobe Dean, Jordan Davis, Salyer, Zaire, etc.

I think finding good leaders that are also good players will be key for Coach Lanning.  Coaches don't have a lot of time to build the roster the way the want.  Getting players to hold themselves and each other responsible is so key.  This is absolutely from the Bama/Saban handbook.

I can't tell you how many times I heard a reporter ask Kirby about a discipline issue or a character issue and he would say "our leaders will handle that".   You gotta recruit, of course, but recruiting at a high level and getting those high level recruits to hold the younger  highly rated recruits to a standard is critical to building a great program.

Lastly, I know I am not telling you anything you do not already know but I thought you may like to get a glimpse into the way I think your new head coach will look to build your team's attitude.  Cheers.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Thank you AMCDAWG. Very interesting take on the workings of the Georgia program under Kirby Smart that I hope Lanning will bring west with him. This and the ability to properly delegate to subordinates including the leaders on the field and in the locker room. Mario Cristobal is a micro-manager who cannot get of his own way let alone out of the way of his assistant coaches. I have never seen a talented group of athletes so often show up flat and unprepared to play ball than I saw with Mario at the wheel.

As I have expressed before, I an so happy Georgia crossed the final playoff hurdle this season.  BTW, do you think a new head coach has ever been handed an opening game against the national defending champion, OOC. Another OOC game vs BYU that finished in the top 25. An FCS opponent that among others, produced Rams WR Cooper Kupp, E. WA. Plus 5 conference road games. The Pac-12 certainly isn't the toughest conference in the P5 but this a big ask for any coach let alone a new HC with no HC experience.

Thanks again for the great post.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is going to be a challenge no doubt, but Oregon has their own great tradition and just last year walked into the horseshoe and won.  You could count the number of teams on one hand that I would have thought could do that.  

I do hope the Duck fans have patience, don't forget Nick Saban went 7-6 in year one at Alabama and Kirby went 8-5 his first year at Georgia.  I don't think the Ducks will lose five this year, but remember rebuilding takes time even with as much talent as Oregon has. 

The 2023 recruiting class I think you will start seeing some fruit.  Dan was an alpha dog in recruiting on a team loaded with recruiting alpha dogs.  His OLB room had guys like 5-star Brenton Cox who is now at Florida and FSU's Jermaine Johnson, the ACC defensive player of the year, who left because they were not getting enough playing time.  And every UGA fan knows Tosh Lupoi, he killed for Bama on the trail.

I know the Pacific Northwest may not have the amount of high school talent as we have here in the deep south, but he will get his, I feel strongly about that.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/2/2022 at 1:42 PM, amcdawg said:

I know the Pacific Northwest may not have the amount of high school talent as we have here in the deep south, but he will get his, I feel strongly about that.

You have been a very kind Dawg fan, and I do appreciate your thoughts.  I do look forward to trading more information over the off-season.  THANKS.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

One of the standout characteristics of a gentleman is grace. How many times did we see Royce Freeman and others score a most impressive touchdown, point to the sky and hand the ref the ball and celebrate with his team mates with class?  Those moments are the real highlights.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, amcdawg said:

The reason it is so hard in most cases you need to recruit good players, who then have to have the time to become leaders.  If your leaders are upperclassmen who quite frankly are not as good as the newcomers, it is tough to convince young five star players they should listen to older, wiser players if those older players are slower and weaker.  

I think finding good leaders that are also good players will be key for Coach Lanning.  Coaches don't have a lot of time to build the roster the way the want.  Getting players to hold themselves and each other responsible is so key.  This is absolutely from the Bama/Saban handbook.

I can't tell you how many times I heard a reporter ask Kirby about a discipline issue or a character issue and he would say "our leaders will handle that". 

Brilliant take AMCDAWG! Leadership on the field is critical, recruiting and fostering that is a enormous part of building a strong program. Your last quote is spot on if a program is strong from within, "our leaders will handle that."  A sage from the sideline is what I want to see, once again.

A critical mistake I remember watching was at the continual changes to play calls from the sideline, and the players just passively waiting for the adjustment. We were actually caught off guard too many times, once against tosu, because the leadership was dictated from the sideline, not fostered on the field. It will be a massive upgrade to see leadership fostered from the players on and off the field. I think that is one of the most important gifts a coach can instill in the players, an ability to take what has been learned and lead, problem solve on ones own, and as a team. These are young men who should be molded into strong men of integrity!

• Thumbs Up 4