CalBear95

My Very Late, Probably Past its Expiration Date MC Post

First, can I just say how much I missed the lovely confines (in which it never rains) of FDF?

Anyhow, this is way late to the party almost to the point of making 'belated' a euphamism.

I was bonding with my best co-worker friend who is also an avid FDF consumer (AlexR - hiya!) in early January about how much of a weight it feels to have been lifted since MC decided to take his talents to South Beach (I mean, that joke writes itself.  Amirite?).  The metaphor I used is a relationship where you really love an enjoy aspects of what the other person brings but there is a lot of other stuff you feel not right about or outright settling for because you fear losing the aformentioned good thing.

I have to imagine that at some point in our lives we've all had one of these relationships (In the department of TMI, in my younger days I was a buyers club member in this category.  Issues!).  If not, a tip of the cap to you.

Anyhow, eventually the relationship ends, usually with the other person breaking it off.  In legalese, this makes you the "Dumpee" and the other party the "Dumper" but that is for another post.  And you are totally freaking out because the fear of losing the thing that you loved and perhaps never finding it again is running your lizzard brain emotional center.

But deep down, while you are flailing externally in a panic to fill the hole created in your life, you are kinda glad it is over.  And then you meet someone who is so much better in all categories and you are just *relieved* the other person left.  It doesn't make them a bad person, just the wrong person for you. 

And further still, you wonder how you could have put up with that all that time.  I mean, you are money, right, and you don't even know it (reference trivia?).  Now you are feeling good, not because that person is externally giving you that confidence where it would otherwise be lacking, but because you know you are where you deserve to be.

So, MC, I say this with nothing but respect, I really love the fact you are gone.  I haven't felt this good in years.  I will always look fondly on our recruiting classes but I know now I need never settle for a meddling coach again.  I CAN have it all.

Also, Mr Wilcox, sorry about that rebound thing...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

YES,  loved that, Cal Bear. 

On 2/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, CalBear95 said:

So, MC, I say this with nothing but respect, I really love the fact you are gone.  I haven't felt this good in years.  I will always look fondly on our recruiting classes but I know now I need never settle for a meddling coach again.  I CAN have it all.

Life is good, the world is in order again and the OBD forum exhales its relief at our own CalBear95 returning.  I don't know how anyone could write it better...what we all feel.

I think we are going to owe Rob Mullens in a BIG way before this is over, as I cannot believe the gap he has created versus nearly all the conference already.  Whether we win a 'Natty with him or not....we as fans will get to see a TON of WINNING at Oregon!

Mr. FishDuck

Dan Lanning, I can't quit you!

I mean, the guy is nails, right?  Have the Ducks *ever* been this organized and driven?  And the immediate results are just stunning.

I am willing to live with his growth curve because you can just tell this staff loves being around each other.  An esprit de corps I don't ever recall seeing in a staff anywhere in a long while.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, CalBear95 said:

I mean, you are money, right, and you don't even know it (reference trivia?).  

image.gif.56edf178d2f536e87ea4c47a3de96891.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Totally dating myself here but I was a newly minted Cal grad living on $21K/year in the City (if you have to ask, you don't know) when I saw this at the Embaradero as a sleeper film.  I then went to LA for a year and hit every single one of these bars.  Yep.  I'm old.

The last two days just make me wanna:

Trent.gif.01a4b91c25eb0cd4167b7e92d98b88ca.gif

... I know now I need never settle for a meddling coach again.

I initially misread this as middling coach, which also feels appropriate.

Meddling and middling.

Das Gleiche!

I don’t think there will ever be an expiration date on our love affair with MC. We all will watch the scores of Hurricane games with joy when they lose and sadness when they win. As long as MC is a failure with the fans, which in some respects has already happened, it will be better entertainment for Duck fans than having to watch him hold back quality athletes during his time in Eugene. Glad he’s gone but trust me any chance to pick on him will not pass us by.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

On 2/3/2022 at 9:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Life is good, the world is in order again and the OBD forum exhales its relief at our own CalBear95 returning.  I don't know how anyone could write it better...what we all feel.

I think we are going to owe Rob Mullens in a BIG way before this is over, as I cannot believe the gap he has created versus nearly all the conference already.  Whether we win a 'Natty with him or not....we as fans will get to see a TON of WINNING at Oregon!

I  hope you are right regarding Mullens? Was he the one who pulled the trigger on the Lanning hire; or, was it an 86 year old patriarch? (BTW: I'd love to know where Rob and Schill stood when it came to conference expansion?) I don't like Rob's CFB  future scheduling. H+H with TX Tech and Baylor, when WAZZU has a H+H with Wisconsin, UW with MI ST and Utah a H+H with Florida among other big time conference matchups. (I am opposed to a 1 off game 'at' UGA. I would have no problem playing UGA in Athens and then in Eugene. Or playing any top drawer program that is willing to play the Ducks H+H.)

Make no mistake, I agree totally with CalBear95's post and your support Charles of same and I hope you are right in congratulating Rob Mullens; that I am giving Rob too little credit. But recall, Rob gave Mario an extension and pay increase after Mario went 4-3 and was then destroyed by Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.  And Rob was more than ready to give Mario another extension and pay raise before Mario split to Miami. Unlike many of us I don't believe that Rob saw the brand withering and dying. Rob put his hat in the ring for the UGA and A+M AD openings, and will likely do so again if a big job in the B1G or the SEC opens up.

Regardless, I agree with you Charles, CalBear95 and many others that it is great to have 'Danno' and friends on board.

• Thumbs Up 1

As jubilant as we may all feel about our future prospects, our long awaited return to fun football, and the misty anticipation for future trophies, I don't see anything in this newfound  bliss to make me overlook the elephant in the room. I watched all the new coaches being interviewed on  Joey Mac's show the other day. I am impressed with each of them and share your enthusiasm.

BUT! As is common among all college level coaches and staff, the turn over is incredible. We're talking about 30 year old men who have had 5,6,7 jobs since college.  It's musical chairs in most cases. Time will tell if Mr. Lanning can master the carousel ala Saban and make  what looks like a promising season into the dynasty we all long to see.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I  hope you are right regarding Mullens? Was he the one who pulled the trigger on the Lanning hire; or, was it an 86 year old patriarch? (BTW: I'd love to know where Rob and Schill stood when it came to conference expansion?) I don't like Rob's CFB  future scheduling. H+H with TX Tech and Baylor, when WAZZU has a H+H with Wisconsin, UW with MI ST and Utah a H+H with Florida among other big time conference matchups. (I am opposed to a 1 off game 'at' UGA. I would have no problem playing UGA in Athens and then in Eugene. Or playing any top drawer program that is willing to play the Ducks H+H.)

Make no mistake, I agree totally with CalBear95's post and your support Charles of same and I hope you are right in congratulating Rob Mullens; that I am giving Rob too little credit. But recall, Rob gave Mario an extension and pay increase after Mario went 4-3 and was then destroyed by Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.  And Rob was more than ready to give Mario another extension and pay raise before Mario split to Miami. Unlike many of us I don't believe that Rob saw the brand withering and dying. Rob put his hat in the ring for the UGA and A+M AD openings, and will likely do so again if a big job in the B1G or the SEC opens up.

Regardless, I agree with you Charles, CalBear95 and many others that it is great to have 'Danno' and friends on board.

My understanding Rob was busy with creating headlines and appeasing alumni while the real work was being done. It would be interesting to know the real story, but the end result is a thing of beauty, that we can all agree!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/4/2022 at 2:29 AM, CalBear95 said:

I have to imagine that at some point in our lives we've all had one of these relationships (In the department of TMI, in my younger days I was a buyers club member in this category.  Issues!).  If not, a tip of the cap to you.

I fortunately never had one of "those" relationships romantically, but from a business standpoint, I've had a few clients I hated to see leave because of the financial impact, but boy I was sure glad to see them go related to quality of life.  So yeah, I get it.

It’s not you it’s me.

Roll on you Bears! (Class of 90)

I will always look fondly on our recruiting classes but I know now I need never settle for a meddling coach again.

This about sums it up.  I had resigned myself to the LSU/Coach O scenario.  Poorly coached, unimaginative football but so much talent that NC contention was always within reach.  I will be much more excited for kickoff next season with the new coaching staff in place.

In most relationships, people will do their best to make the relationship work. In many cases this will involve either accepting, overlooking or even blocking out the flaws the other person has. 

However, once the relationship has soured or ended, we stop accepting, overlooking and blocking out those flaws. In fact, we tend focus on them.

I feel like that's what is happening now with Cristobal and Duck fans. The relationship is over, and we're focusing in on the things we let slide in the past. Partly as a coping mechanism but also as a way of learning and hopefully growing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Or just kicking a dead horse.