Charles Fischer

Husky Humblings on Recruiting: "This Class is Worse Than Oregon State"

From the biggest Husky site:

Honest Analysis by a Husky

"This class is riddled with question marks and is seriously under performing what Chris Petersen brought in, or Sark for the matter. As a whole I don't usually look at the class rankings in the context they're posted because your right size of the class isn't as important as the quality. That said this class falls way below threshold required to compete for national championships or even conference titles. For crying out loud by average star rating this class is worse that Oregon State."

"Myself, I'm worried but am willing to wait and see before forming a final opinion on the matter. There are a lot of unknowns with the new staff, such as how well they teach, mentor and develop young talent. I was hoping they would alleviate my concerns regarding their ability to recruit at a top 20 level but unfortunately they failed to do that with this class."

Now the Spin:

"That doesn't mean this class isn't what the doctor ordered for UW. The fact these guys are all lower rated means they're likely hard working and will buy into what Coach is saying a lot quicker since he gave them a chance. Culture is a huge part of what makes a team and this foundation could jump start getting that back on track. Also it doesn't mean these gentlemen can't be serious contributors.

A solid foundation is always needed and these guys seem like they'll make a solid core as long as the majority aren't busts."

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

You know, it could be asked why we spend so much time on a team that Oregon's beaten 15 of the last 17 times? The answer is, It's fun!!. Watching and reading the Husky Honks, as we just saw, rationalizing their epic fail of a recruiting class is more than amusing. Washington's apex in football was 30 to 50 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 4

When expectation turns to hope, a Husky fan retreats to the kennel with his head down and tail between his legs.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:04 AM, Duck1984 said:

When expectation turns to hope, a Husky fan retreats to the kennel with his head down and tail between his legs.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

We'll see if this is a trend or an aberration.  My guess is the latter. 

The chaos around the program this year probably really hurt them in terms of having a deep pool of recruits to try and save.  Further still, given their school of origin, I imagine the staff lacked existing relationships w/highly rated recruits they could bring over.  So, a bit of a perfect storm.

For reference, Utah has historically run between 5th and 7th in conference rankings (usually low 30's nationally) and they just beat the living daylights of a much higher ranked talent pool on OBD.  IOW, coaching and development are indeed the keys.  Potential is useless if unrealized and poorly leveraged in that process.

I really doubt the dawgs will stay in the bottom quartile of the conference and even if they are in the bottom of the upper half, Utah is a great example of how that isn't a sentence to purgatory/irrelevance.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I get it, I do. But as a conference the Pac-12 must lift its recruiting or it will be left further in the CFB dust. Arizona having the #3 ranked recruiting class in the conference is not good. UCLA tripped on its Chip again. ASU is not even a player in the G5. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"That doesn't mean this class isn't what the doctor ordered for UW. The fact these guys are all lower rated means they're likely hard working and will buy into what Coach is saying a lot quicker since he gave them a chance

63zpiw.jpg

• Haha 3

On 2/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, CalBear95 said:

We'll see if this is a trend or an aberration.

It's a trend.  An aberration would be them having a good recruiting class.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I get it, I do. But as a conference the Pac-12 must lift its recruiting or it will be left further in the CFB dust. Arizona having the #3 ranked recruiting class in the conference is not good. UCLA tripped on its Chip again. ASU is not even a player in the G5. 

For sure.  You will get no argument from me on that.  I take an SEC view of these things which is conference brand perception and on field performance trump any non-conference game hatred/rooting interest.

With this filter in mind, Stanford is the all time worst P12 school we have.  They beat a conference heavy weight and then get rolled by ND or Shaw manages to coach his way into a loss.  They are an utter embarrassment and they *really* need to clean up their act because they do tend to recruit well.

Rankings this year are super super skewed.  If you look at what UA and furd have high rankings, a lot of it has to do with their total points vs avg value/recruit.

USC and OBD are way behind them in total recruits.  But despite being ~10 short of furd and UA's haul the Ducks are pretty close from a total points POV.

Given the coaching upheaval this year, I caution anyone from running with 2022 as a proxy for predicting the future rankings and quality of the top tier programs' classes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, Steven A said:

It's a trend.  An aberration would be them having a good recruiting class.

Joke or no, the huskies have been pretty highly ranked over the past few years.  

As I noted earlier, like it or not, you want them to be going forward as well.  A strong UW is good for the P12 (obvs a strong USC and UO go without saying).

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, CalBear95 said:

As I noted earlier, like it or not, you want them to be going forward as well. 

NO, NOT EVER, and you will probably see 99.9% of the forum will never root for uw PERIOD END OF STORY. The HATE will never die. Perhaps Charles can give you a link to the history of this situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Washington was a dominant team in football, back when Microwaves started showing up in home kitchens. 

• Haha 3

On 2/4/2022 at 6:31 PM, Steven A said:

Perhaps Charles can give you a link to the history of this situation.

Go right here for previous articles about the rivalry with the Huskies and many of the 22 articles have the history within.  Just writing the "H" word makes me want to turn and spit...

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

When explanation turns to groping for answers in your parents doghouse basement at 3 in the morning,  you might be a nose blind fuskie sniffing up a dead tree... Huh?

On 2/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, 30Duck said:

Washington was a dominant team in football, back when Microwaves started showing up in home kitchens. 

The year they peaked, the top ten hit was 'Unbelievable' by EMF. A decade later it was rated one of the top one hit wonders ever. Both of these items defined that time for the dawgs.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, 30Duck said:

Washington's rare football success is directly correlated to the amount of cheating going on within the program at the time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The butt sniffers have a history of making some bad decisions when it comes to hiring and retaining head coaches. Since Don James retired, other than Petersen, it has been a parade of missteps. Culminating in the ultimate mistake by the lake, Jimmie Lake. (That was fun to type). in the near 30 years since James they have been to just 18 bowl games with a 6-12 bowl record. Is that academic prowess or what?

I really enjoy their rise in academic prowess coupled with their gridiron demise. Apparently top level recruits are taking notice, too....

Let's journey back to 1908 when the butt sniffers hired their greatest coach, Gil Dobie. Dobie had coached North Dakota Agricultural to 2 undefeated seasons in 06 and 07. At the time of his hiring the huskies were playing as an independent. In 1916 they joined the Pacific Coast Conference. Dobie's teams went 58-0-2. Winning the PCC title in their very first season. The Dawgs could not retain Dobie and he left to coach the Naval Academy for 3 seasons. Then off to Cornell where in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th season they were undefeated and national champions.

They let a undefeated coach get away who went onto to win 3 national titles for another school. Though in fairness Cornell probably offered much greater academic prowess.

Their are probably a number of reasons Dobie left the near decade undefeated huskies. How does this reason sound?

School president to Dobie: Great job on another undefeated season. Sorry I didn't get to see the games. How many undefeated seasons now, 3, 4?

Dobie to school president: No this season makes 9.

School president to Dobie: what did you want to talk about, Gil?

Dobie to president: I would like to talk about a pay raise.

School president to Dobie: Hec Gil UW is a powerful academic school. You are lucky we let you coach our great school.

Dobie to school president: Okay just want to let you know I will be taking my coaching ability elsewhere.

School president to Dobie: Best of luck to you Gil.

Well that may or may not have happened. But Gil Dobie put 3 real National Titles on his resume. Not an imaginary, shared title like the huskies.

Let the academic prowess continue to rise and the football woes continue for the huskies. It just makes me smile.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest Axel
On 2/4/2022 at 6:31 PM, Steven A said:

NO, NOT EVER, and you will probably see 99.9% of the forum will never root for uw PERIOD END OF STORY. The HATE will never die. Perhaps Charles can give you a link to the history of this situation.

I agree with your sentiments one trillion percent times 100 trillion. If the warmongering aliens from the planet Zargon sent a team to Earth, I would root for the Zargonites over the Huskies. I do not want the Huskies to do well going forward, going backward, going sideways, or going in a zigzag pattern. I do not want ten-loss or eleven-loss Huskies. I want a return to 0-12 Huskies like in 2008, but even thinking about that season grinds me, because the Huskies were only shutout once that year.

The only good Husky is a sacked Husky, is a "that's wide right" Husky, is a burned CB Husky, is a picked Husky, is a fumbled-for-a-turnover Husky, is a winless Husky, is a last-place-in-the-Pac-12-North Husky. 

Is that good for the Pac-12? No. It's fantastic.

Go Ducks!

Boy Axel, I guess u really don't like them do u

• Haha 3

On 2/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Boy Axel, I guess u really don't like them do u

I'm waiting for him to tell how he really feels.

• Haha 1

If I had my way, I’d wish a perpetual 2008 season ‘Groundhog Day’ loop on the lavender losers.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, Axel said:

I agree with your sentiments one trillion percent times 100 trillion. If the warmongering aliens from the planet Zargon sent a team to Earth, I would root for the Zargonites over the Huskies. I do not want the Huskies to do well going forward, going backward, going sideways, or going in a zigzag pattern. I do not want ten-loss or eleven-loss Huskies. I want a return to 0-12 Huskies like in 2008, but even thinking about that season grinds me, because the Huskies were only shutout once that year.

The only good Husky is a sacked Husky, is a "that's wide right" Husky, is a burned CB Husky, is a picked Husky, is a fumbled-for-a-turnover Husky, is a winless Husky, is a last-place-in-the-Pac-12-North Husky. 

Is that good for the Pac-12? No. It's fantastic.

Go Ducks!

Now THAT is a World-Class Husky rant, and just warms my heart.  Gosh I love this community!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

We have to remember these guys were a new coaching staff coming in also, without Any Help from the previous Lake for 2 years.

I was impressed by Fresno State and DeBoer when and how they played us. Best not to kick a dead horse lest it bites you.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, Duck 1972 said:

We have to remember these guys were a new coaching staff coming in also, without Any Help from the previous Lake for 2 years.

Boo Hoo. Play with the cards Jen Cohen dealt them and wish her a long career at uw.

• Haha 1

Not boohooin " just pointing out the facts ma'am" from my favorite early TV show. Greybeards might remember.

Edited by Duck 1972
Missing info

Washington is still potentially a good story of success.  They have great funding, some history and a big recruiting area.  I don't think they are a sleeping giant but they are still a program to be feared in the future.  I don't like them but let's be real, they are our main rivals and they despise Oregon.  So....don't be over confidant........but it will be fun to run them out of Autzen this fall.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, Duck 1972 said:

just pointing out the facts ma'am

You mean this guy?

On 2/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Steven A said:

Boo Hoo. Play with the cards Jen Cohen dealt them and wish her a long career at uw.

Spot ON! Jen Cohen is a terrible AD who deserves to be fired but will not be fired by the UW female president. Will DeBoer turn out to be a good hire? Maybe? He had fantastic success in the CFB little leagues and put a solid Fresno St team on the field. But his hire certainly did not move the national needle or draw a bevy of quality recruits. Players can be coached up but stars matter.

IMO, UW will stink in CFB and CBB as long as Cohen is in charge.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO, UW will stink in CFB and CBB as long as Cohen is in charge.

One can only hope.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, Steven A said:

You mean this guy?

No I meant Sgt Friday from Dragnet

I am so glad my kids and grandkids did not reside in the shadow of the purple puppy pound...

On 2/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Will DeBoer turn out to be a good hire?

I think he will be good ... But not great. 

I don't think Washington wins a conference title with him, at least not quickly. He can get Washington to a bowl game... He can potentially do it this year. But looking at the schedule and basing it off last year's performance they will be hard pressed to get to 6 wins but with even just a little bit better coaching they should get to 6. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 7:30 PM, Duck 1972 said:

No I meant Sgt Friday from Dragnet

Sorry, it starts 2 min, 50 seconds in

On 2/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good for AZ though, hopefully they'll get good, can only help the conference, at least until their coach

gets poached away. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm showing my age here.  I rewatched that Johnny Carson dragnet skit.  So nice to see good humor without the use of profanity every other word.  Kind of miss that!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, Quackerbacker said:

I'm showing my age here.  I rewatched that Johnny Carson dragnet skit.  So nice to see good humor without the use of profanity every other word.  Kind of miss that!

It is fun, and it is great to have you on-board as a new member.  Do post your thoughts often, as this is the only safe forum where you can and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck