Guest willville

Enough Already, Saturday Rant!

Guest willville

Don’t post much however I see the new QB transfer at SC just signed a one million dollar deal with Dre / Beats. I will say it, NIL needs to go. All of it.  The players get schollies worth hundreds of thousands in some cases. Wanna be paid early model after baseball. Oregon / business will dump millions on players who don’t play. See Kayvon…if you want to play in the minors and get big time bonus money so be it. 

Yes coaches make millions good for them, they are also adults not kids.  This is not a slam at USC it is the entire crappy system that has been become a hot mess. No more Bryce Young or Bo Nix jersey’s…just Roll Tide or Duck gear. If I hear student athlete one more time I am going to puke. 

Correct me if I am wrong but someone posted on twitter as to when a new Duck recruit would wear Duck gear. His response was when my NIL check shows up. Let him go somewhere else. 

Go Ducks, I think!

Thanks for the post. I believe most of us kinda agree with you but the genie is out of the bottle and there is little the NCAA can do. The Supreme Court has ruled and the NIL stands like it or not.

As far as the players being paid I believe they do deserve some kind of compensation more than just a scholarship and this is why. Any other student who doesn't have enough money for even spending cash to do things others can, have the opportunity to get a side job. Student athletes do not, their job is their sport and most of them, if not all, don't have any extra time because of their studies.

As far as NIL and the Ducks I believe there is a program where money goes into a pool and then a equal stipend will be distributed to all athletes.

Each individual can also sign their own with help from an advisor or their own agent. I don't have a problem with this setup, as I understand it. I like how it won't just be the few stars getting paid which I believe could have a derisive effect on the team.

Yes their will be schools that have an advantage but it's been that way for a long time, just under the table. Some got caught and paid a terrible price, at least now that shouldn't happen again.

However it proceeds it's going to be interesting. I just know I can't wait to see OBD in the spring and the 22 season. I believe we are going to have a great team.

• Thumbs Up 1

We live in a capitalist society that frowns on cartels.  We pay the labor what the market can bear or the business has no reason to exist.  These are not kids, the are employees that could use retirement, pay, and tuition wavers.  It’s sad we have allowed employers fail to pay their employees for so long.  Athletes produce a product that the university benefits from and it’s alright that the labor doesn’t get paid?  It’s ok that coaches siphon millions from the school but it’s wrong to pay the labor?  I’m going to have to disagree you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think it is quite shrewd for an athlete to ask the question who benefits from me wearing this product. That question has so many answers it is important for all to at least consider. From who grew, produced the product to how it was made, to who may be making money on this purchase. Not being aware, making a thoughtful choice just allows you to be unknowingly manipulated.

Nike benefits from athletes wearing their product. They pay the universities big dollars so their athletes wear their logo. An athlete expecting a little cut of that isn't so much selfish as just being a smart, thinking consumer. Now expecting massive payouts, that would be selfish and not grounded in reality for most student athletes. To say it is selfish, I think, is naive to what is going on with the whole meaning of the NIL acronym. These athletes are a large part of Oregon's Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) as they compete as football players.

I personally choose to try and not wear labels. I don't like to be defined by a product, or have anyone label as a Patagonia, Nike guy. I like to buy specific products because of the type of material and look, and often choose that to not have a label. Some may want the label, the exact jersey, I am not that guy. To each his own.

I can agree the student athlete should be focused on being a student and an athlete. Focusing on making money, and being a professional would seem to make an already difficult situation untenable. Hopefully Oregon can be a school where a student athlete can be just that while feeling they aren't being taken advantage of. Students athletes who play high level football who are too broke to enjoy college isn't just. It will be interesting to see how this all develops over the coming years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, Pocketchange said:

We live in a capitalist society that frowns on cartels.  We pay the labor what the market can bear or the business has no reason to exist.  These are not kids, the are employees that could use retirement, pay, and tuition wavers.  It’s sad we have allowed employers fail to pay their employees for so long.  Athletes produce a product that the university benefits from and it’s alright that the labor doesn’t get paid?  It’s ok that coaches siphon millions from the school but it’s wrong to pay the labor?  I’m going to have to disagree you.

I mostly agree but what concerns me is where does it stop?

On 2/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, willville said:

Don’t post much however I see the new QB transfer at SC just signed a one million dollar deal with Dre / Beats. I will say it, NIL needs to go. All of it.  The players get schollies worth hundreds of thousands in some cases. Wanna be paid early model after baseball. Oregon / business will dump millions on players who don’t play. See Kayvon…if you want to play in the minors and get big time bonus money so be it. 

Yes coaches make millions good for them, they are also adults not kids.  This is not a slam at USC it is the entire crappy system that has been become a hot mess. No more Bryce Young or Bo Nix jersey’s…just Roll Tide or Duck gear. If I hear student athlete one more time I am going to puke. 

Correct me if I am wrong but someone posted on twitter as to when a new Duck recruit would wear Duck gear. His response was when my NIL check shows up. Let him go somewhere else. 

Go Ducks, I think!

Legally anyone 18 or older is an adult and should be treated as such in terms of labor and value.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The biggest problem I see with NIL , trust me there are many, is how much some of these kids change after they achieve the big money. Pro sports are full of players that sigh the big contract and their production goes south. Kevin Duckworth is just one example and the list is too long to list here. Many of these kids will be weeded out way before they get to the pros for just this reason. It is Certainly nice of the NCAA to do the job for the pro owners so they won’t have to waste the money.

The title of this post perfectly reflects my thoughts on the round of golf I played today!

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The title of this post perfectly reflects my thoughts on the round of golf I played today!

Had to quit that game years ago, amazing how much I’ve saved on greens fees and beer the last ten years. It is a fun game but oh how frustrating. You picked a nice day for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, willville said:

Go Ducks, I think!

You lose 9-0 in the United States Supreme Court + there is no way NIL is going to go. Nor can it be restricted via regulation. This is all due to the NCAA refusing to bend from the 'student-athlete' model and instead spending multi-millions of dollars in legal fees in a futile effort to defend the model and convince justices that CFB at the P5 level is an amateur sport. It's not just football players making money. Twin female basketball players at Fresno State signed a million dollar deal. A number of Olympic sports athletes have signed lucrative deals.

However, the intent of NIL is being trashed; NIL is being used as a recruiting tool for HS kids and to sign guys out of the portal. 3rd parties are urging players to enter the portal and get paid.

It does make one want to watch football on Sunday and not Saturday. The reason there is a salary cap and restrictions on free agency is due the players having a union that negotiates with management.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, Just Ducky said:

The biggest problem I see with NIL , trust me there are many, is how much some of these kids change after they achieve the big money. Pro sports are full of players that sigh the big contract and their production goes south. Kevin Duckworth is just one example and the list is too long to list here. Many of these kids will be weeded out way before they get to the pros for just this reason. It is Certainly nice of the NCAA to do the job for the pro owners so they won’t have to waste the money.

Yep, the current Duckworth is doing the same thing now. 

Those that would argue that somehow the law of unintended consequences will not apply to what amounts to a revolutionary change in the NCAAF system, are not being realistic.  

There is likely a smart way to share the revenues deservingly.....the current "break everything" model doesn't seem like it.

Signed,  Chesterton Fence Repair Co.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Ask AtM boosters?

On 2/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Yep, the current Duckworth is doing the same thing now. 

Those that would argue that somehow the law of unintended consequences will not apply to what amounts to a revolutionary change in the NCAAF system, are not being realistic.  

There is likely a smart way to share the revenues deservingly.....the current "break everything" model doesn't seem like it.

Signed,  Chesterton Fence Repair Co.

Chesterton Fence! When are going to honor my warranty!

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, Pocketchange said:

Great take. THIS, could have been lifted from Justice Kavanaugh's concurring opinion in the Alston case. All of this 'stuff' could be regulated if there was a CFB players union, like in the NFL, to negotiate with 'management.'

Why ruin a good golf game by keeping score. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Why ruin a good golf game by keeping score. 🙂

Winston Churchill: Golf is a good walk spoiled. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

As they say, "the devil is in the details".

At first glance, NIL seems acceptable, maybe even deserved by some. The working out of the reality is proving to be quite a complicated and questionable process.

I can only hope that at some point, sooner than later, I hope, some type of control will present itself.

Until then, there are way too many boosters with way too much money in their hands!

We have made football into something unrecognizable, a win the natty or nothing else counts. This will destroy our beloved game.

One last thought, people keep saying schools make so much $$ from these players, but WHERE does the $$ actually go?

It's my understanding that football pays the largest portion of all athletic budgets. In other words, football pays for golf, tennis, softball, baseball, track & field, acrobatics, etc, etc.

The NIL $ comes from boosters and businesses. So the schools still get the same $$?

So if you take $$ away from schools, which sports suffer? Who decides?

No kid from hi-school is worth big $.

At some point this will burn itself out as kid after kid under performs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wandering thoughts from a decrepit old geezer.........................

I agree with you, OP.  Greed will kill the product.  Here is my prediction for the most likely of future of "college" football (and other sports to a lesser degree).

I think it's likely that this NIL form of employee agreements will soon morph into performance contracts (just like the pros).  Education will be irrelevant, or secondary at best.  A labor union will indeed form.  Collective bargaining with the NCAA will occur.  Strikes will happen.  Individual greed will sever team bonding and fan loyalty.   And free agency already exists.

Every action has its consequences.  Just saying that 'poor' college students already on full ride scholarships deserve a piece of the pie they helped make sounds like 'justice'.  But it really doesn't provide the entire picture.  Nor a vision of the action's consequences.  I do not see a happy ending for this vector of collegiate sports.  I've said before that the pros are now all about salary and "what's in it for me"...not the team. 

That will happen to our beloved college football...then basketball, then baseball, then ???  I've ditched the pros because I saw the big 3 sports strike or threaten labor strikes in my lifetime.  That kind of greed made me keep the big buck ticket money stay in my pocket.  I no longer have any favorite teams.....because they aren't teams.  With few exceptions, they're a collection of privileged, overpaid, me-first athletes with no loyalty to teams.  Oh, and college game tickets will skyrocket too, just like the pros.  So then....why should I support that? 

You all most likely have bemoaned the stories about SEC teams paying players to come to their schools.  "Under the table" stuff.  I didn't see a lot of support for the "justice" of that for players.  This new paradigm will be no different...except to be on a much larger scale.

Incidentally, this pay-to-play program will percolate down to high school...maybe even lower (given that teams are submitting offers to middle school kids).  It's a sad day.  For me at least the landscape of collegiate (and amateur) sports in general will be unrecognizable to those of us in the grey beard bunch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Those that help generate the revenue deserve to negotiate pay, and sometimes bad deals are made by either party.  

I suspect that agents will come soon, as younger players will feel better having someone on their side in a negotiation.  Not sure the NCAA can enforce many current rules soon.

Ultimately the market will find equilibrium unless there are restrictions.  

Edited by Duck1984

“Win the Natty or nothing else counts.”

Ridiculous, but that seems to be what’s occurring out there.

To me, the term "scholar athlete" at D1 has become obscene.

Thankfully, someone stood up and fought for the players by taking this all the way to the Supreme Court. The scholarship value and educational opportunity is a valuable commodity.  But it comes with strict rules. I sat thru an NCAA athlete indoctrination meeting when my youngest son entered college. There were no you can do this just an hour of you can't or you don't.  For the players, family, friends and boosters it was an eye opener lecture.

Everyone is going to have their varied opinions and feelings. Probably no real solution. But the NCAA and the hard a$$, arrogant school presidents deserve this. They didn't budge or give an inch on this topic. THEY WANTED ALL THE CONROL AND MONEY.........

And they still do.. Someone on this forum posted an article a few weeks ago. I think it was a Conzano article. It covered the potential future divsions and how the process will work out.  It also covered NIL. The article was insightful but a hard read. I was really taken back by the comments of the President of the Oregon State Legislature. The Legislature is trying to put a bill in place to protect the players and their NIL rights. Yes the US Supreme Court, in essence, granted the players the rights to their Name, Image and Likeness. It's their rights to market, not the schools.

The Legislature contacted the U of O and OSU presidents to get their input. Their ideas, especially on jersey and merchandise sales. And how to share those revenues. Guess what, the President of the Oregon State Legislature was surprised that the 2 school presidents offered very little support for the idea. They weren't interested in sharing any of those revenues. Yet the player has the rights if you put their NAME on the jetsey. Keep in mind these were 2 of the 12 presidents who shut down expansion because they didn't want to share revenues with a lesser conference.  WTH..........

As much as this is frustrating to most, just let it play out. Let it seek its own level. Keep this in mind and maybe it can provide some perspective.  We pay our 14 employees absolute top dollar with full medical and retirement options. We want them to be motivated to work and produce. They perform the work, we pay them.The school offers a scholarship, room and board and education. The players work hard to earn playing time and most earn their education. That's the work agreement between both parties. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just business. It is a work place agreement.

Now, if any of our employees add to our customer base and increase our revenues they get highly compensated for that. Isn't that fair? So when the P-12 media rights increase each school will receive millions of dollars more each season . Do you think they are planning on sharing any of that money with the players. NOT A CHANCE........

Chances are this side of the football business will get worse before it gets better. But this is between the schools and the players. This time the players have the power.  Personally, it is painful to watch, but I support the players.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You lose 9-0 in the United States Supreme Court

Dang, and I had the NCAA +8

• Haha 2

...and yet, you will be at it again tomorrow.

There´s no game like golf.

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jon Sousa said:

There´s no game like golf.

I had no idea that Golf was so hazardous!

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, toketeeman said:

To me, the term "scholar athlete" at D1 has become obscene.

It’s right up there with Student-Athlete…

A lot of athletes have these sports be their profession. What's wrong with that. Let the NCAA be the minors for pro football. " It already is".

You will still have guys getting their education knowing that is their future.

They will still be enrolled in the school so the tradition will stay, they will still be kids so the emotion will be the same,

Their young so the skills still have to be shown and growth still has to be made.

You will have a lot of kids that pan out and others who don't.

Youll still have a lot of 💎 in the rough. I just don't see how that will change CFB all that much.

I can't understand why anyone who is legally an adult (18 years old) should not be able to profit from their name, image, and likeness.   These are not legally kids.

Yeah, lots of downside to money at an early age.  The young immature adults may blow it on cars, expensive apartments and so forth.   They may not pay their quarterly estimates of federal and state taxes.   But that is where the school can provide guidance.  The school can----gasp----educate the student athletes on contracts, money management etc.

As I see it, the major problem is that the governing bodies stuck their collective heads in the sand and pretended that the Supreme Court would rule in the NCAA's favor in the Alston case.  I disagree with a lot of what Justice Kavanaugh says in other cases but I agree with what he had to say in his concurring opinion:  “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”

The NCAA basically was saying that a very big business could exempt itself from anti-trust laws, reap huge benefits for coaches and others and agree (conspire in other words) to pay the players nothing but tuition, books and room and board.   The NCAA's position created the mess; can the NCAA come up with legal regulations of NIL payments?  Possibly but don't count on it.

Is this bad for the traditional college sports fan?  Well, maybe.  But so what?  

And let's not forget the rampant cheating (paying the players) that has always been part of major college sports.  And the Ducks have not been innocent.  I was at Oregon 1972-1976.  I saw Ronnie Lee in his new Chevrolet Monte Carlo.   I was told by an employee of Joe Romania Chevrolet that the basketball team was on the dealership's payroll.

Edited by DuckHeart
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I just don't see how that will change CFB all that much.

When you get down to it, I think you're right, Student-Athlete was a trope that had been largely dismissed a long time ago. Now the curtain has been pulled. It's jarring now, but i feel like it will be pulled together in some order. College sports will never be the same.  I wish that music still came out on vinyl.

• Thanks 1

I was playing at WVCC years ago and the old boy I was playing with shanked one off the toe of his 3 wood and came straight back into his junk. Sadly never saw the guy again. Very sad very sad.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:11 AM, Just Ducky said:

I was playing at WVCC years ago and the old boy I was playing with shanked one off the toe of his 3 wood and came straight back into his junk. Sadly never saw the guy again. Very sad very sad.

That would drive any golfer nuts.

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mudslide said:

Wandering thoughts from a decrepit old geezer.........................

I agree with you, OP.  Greed will kill the product.  Here is my prediction for the most likely of future of "college" football (and other sports to a lesser degree).

I think it's likely that this NIL form of employee agreements will soon morph into performance contracts (just like the pros).  Education will be irrelevant, or secondary at best.  A labor union will indeed form.  Collective bargaining with the NCAA will occur.  Strikes will happen.  Individual greed will sever team bonding and fan loyalty.   And free agency already exists.

Every action has its consequences.  Just saying that 'poor' college students already on full ride scholarships deserve a piece of the pie they helped make sounds like 'justice'.  But it really doesn't provide the entire picture.  Nor a vision of the action's consequences.  I do not see a happy ending for this vector of collegiate sports.  I've said before that the pros are now all about salary and "what's in it for me"...not the team. 

That will happen to our beloved college football...then basketball, then baseball, then ???  I've ditched the pros because I saw the big 3 sports strike or threaten labor strikes in my lifetime.  That kind of greed made me keep the big buck ticket money stay in my pocket.  I no longer have any favorite teams.....because they aren't teams.  With few exceptions, they're a collection of privileged, overpaid, me-first athletes with no loyalty to teams.  Oh, and college game tickets will skyrocket too, just like the pros.  So then....why should I support that? 

You all most likely have bemoaned the stories about SEC teams paying players to come to their schools.  "Under the table" stuff.  I didn't see a lot of support for the "justice" of that for players.  This new paradigm will be no different...except to be on a much larger scale.

Incidentally, this pay-to-play program will percolate down to high school...maybe even lower (given that teams are submitting offers to middle school kids).  It's a sad day.  For me at least the landscape of collegiate (and amateur) sports in general will be unrecognizable to those of us in the grey beard bunch.

It started with the BCS and the greed was doubled down with this BCS x 2. Expand the playoff? I'd rather go back to the Run For the Roses and have the B1G champ play the Pac-12 champ in the Rose Bowl. Co-champions, I could care less. But I'd also like to be able to drive the ball 260+ like I could in the pre BCS x 2 'good old days.'

On 2/5/2022 at 5:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I had no idea that Golf was so hazardous!

Especially when you have to continually look for your ball in the hazards. Some of those ponds are really deep.

Reading some of these posts, there's a lot of talk about labor and entitlement to compensation.  That's a very interesting point to make because if playing football or any other sport for a university can be reclassified as labor (seems easy since it already is for the NFL/MLB/NBA, etc.) then its only a matter of time until the courts get involved in determining if universities should be required to pay athletes and not just in scholarships.  I'm not sure how that plays out in court, but suppose it goes the way the NIL rulings went, then universities would start offering contracts to players much like free-agency.  This would get messy quickly and could turn college sports into something unrecognizable if it even survived.

College sports would either become D-League's for any sport that has a professional league where going straight from high-school isn't likely.  In the end, it would likely spell the end of any university sanctioned sport that isn't profitable which would lead back to club/intermural leagues....which is where they all started originally.  

Edited by DCDuckfan
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

It will stop at what the market will bear or we artificially depress the value of their labor.  Both are not great choices in a team sport.  It’s just what we have to deal with.

Edited by Pocketchange

Fingers crossed it is the wild wild west at the moment, but will settle down in 5 or so years.  Boosters typically have money because they have made smart decisions.  I think when all these kids don't see the field or transfer after 1 season, they will see the writing on the wall and not spend so much money.

I believe there will still be plenty of money out there, but I think the flat everybody gets cash is going to go away.  Plus, every other professional league has rules about money being spent and player movement.  I find it hard to believe college will be the only entity that has unlmited spending and moving of players.  

NCAA only has to point at every other proefessional sports league to get the Supreme Court to regein in some of this craziness.  

These are endorsements, so it makes it a bit harder, but I think there is a way where TXA&M can't spend 30 mil, while WSU spends 15K.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Tandaian said:

Fingers crossed it is the wild wild west at the moment, but will settle down in 5 or so years.  Boosters typically have money because they have made smart decisions.  I think when all these kids don't see the field or transfer after 1 season, they will see the writing on the wall and not spend so much money.

I believe there will still be plenty of money out there, but I think the flat everybody gets cash is going to go away.  Plus, every other professional league has rules about money being spent and player movement.  I find it hard to believe college will be the only entity that has unlmited spending and moving of players.  

NCAA only has to point at every other proefessional sports league to get the Supreme Court to regein in some of this craziness.  

These are endorsements, so it makes it a bit harder, but I think there is a way where TXA&M can't spend 30 mil, while WSU spends 15K.

'Control' is allowed in pro leagues because management in every professional league negotiates with a player's union. After the Alston decision, this 'stuff' will not be regulated in CFB until the players are allowed to form a union. That means players will be viewed as employees. In turn that means many the school will no longer play P5 scholarship football. There will be a Super League. A draft of HS players who want to be paid and direct pay-for-play. Players will most likely not be students; at least, in the traditional sense.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Especially when you have to continually look for your ball in the hazards. Some of those ponds are really deep.

And ponds are home to alligators!

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, DCDuckfan said:

Reading some of these posts, there's a lot of talk about labor and entitlement to compensation.  That's a very interesting point to make because if playing football or any other sport for a university can be reclassified as labor (seems easy since it already is for the NFL/MLB/NBA, etc.) then its only a matter of time until the courts get involved in determining if universities should be required to pay athletes and not just in scholarships.  I'm not sure how that plays out in court, but suppose it goes the way the NIL rulings went, then universities would start offering contracts to players much like free-agency.  This would get messy quickly and could turn college sports into something unrecognizable if it even survived.

College sports would either become D-League's for any sport that has a professional league where going straight from high-school isn't likely.  In the end, it would likely spell the end of any university sanctioned sport that isn't profitable which would lead back to club/intermural leagues....which is where they all started originally.  

As I was saying just a few short days ago.....it just happened faster than I expected.

Government should view FBS college football players, Division I men's, women's basketball players as school employees, according to advocacy group's complaint (espn.com)

• Thanks 1