30Duck

Lanning on Recruiting: "We Will Be Aggressive."

Great article. Looks like Dan is a man with a plan. Love it. Get em Dan'l.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Looks like Dan is a man with a plan.

That is definitely what it looks like. I have no doubt that having a plan and working at it, is why all of a sudden it turned out that you could recruit to Oregon. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, 30Duck said:

That is definitely what it looks like. I have no doubt that having a plan and working at it, is why all of a sudden it turned out that you could recruit to Oregon. 

I kinda agree although I think recruiting is a young mans game. They have to be recruiting almost 16 hrs/ 7 days a week.

They have to out work almost everyone because it tough recruiting for the best against the best.

Especially to a small backwater school in the PNW. Hell most of the kids back east couldn't even point to where it is.

We don't have the advantage of the recruits being in our back yard therefore having to travel more with less time to do it so less players seen, relationships made and kept.

Recipe for a tough job. That's how Mario was able to recruit here and nothing less will work.

Guest Axel
On 2/5/2022 at 5:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Especially to a small backwater school in the PNW. Hell most of the kids back east couldn't even point to where it is.

Oregon is now a national brand, thanks to the marketing savants at Nike. Back East, Oregon is no longer seen as a small backwater school. One primary reason why Dan Lanning chose Oregon is because it's a dynamic brand. And that's been a determining factor in attracting coaches and recruits alike.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I kinda agree although I think recruiting is a young mans game. They have to be recruiting almost 16 hrs/ 7 days a week.

They have to out work almost everyone because it tough recruiting for the best against the best.

We don't have the advantage of the recruits being in our back yard therefore having to travel more with less time to do it so less players seen, relationships made and kept.

Recipe for a tough job. That's how Mario was able to recruit here and nothing less will work.

Go to the mid-Oregon Coast and make a sharp right. Not backwater but near water.

I probably used a wrong metaphor with backwater but u guys know what I mean.

Yes we are a national brand but look back. I couldn't count how many top players had us in their final list of several schools, but when push comes to shove, they went elsewhere.

Riley goes to USC and takes 10 or so players from Oklahoma with him.

DL comes to Eugene with not 1 player from UGA's greatest defense ever. They had numerous players hit the portal and we got none of them. 

With him and his staff having long-term relationships with players from that footprint we were only able to get 2 players.

Guys it's just a fact that getting quality players from back in the Southland and Midwest is and will take out working and innovation over those teams to get the best to come to Oregon if we even can.

I know this year may have been an outlier but I wouldn't put any money on it until I see it with my own eyes 👀.

I sure  don't want it to be so but it's IMHO it's what I see.

Go Ducks Fly High 

On 2/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Guys it's just a fact that getting quality players from back in the Southland and Midwest is and will take out working and innovation over those teams to get the best to come to Oregon if we even can.

I know this year may have been an outlier but I wouldn't put any money on it until I see it with my own eyes 👀.

I sure  don't want it to be so but it's IMHO it's what I see.

I think it's nothing more than just saying the sun rises in the east and sets in the west 😄

I think the amazing thing for those of us who have followed OBD before the run of success is that Oregon *is* a national brand at all. But it's much easier to be a national brand when you are located in states like Georgia, Florida, or Ohio, and nothing will ever change those demographics.

My sense is that at this moment we have three true 'national brand' football teams in the Pac 12, which are Oregon, USC, and Stanford. And Stanford is only by virtue of being one of the top universities in the country, which will give it a leg up for recruits all across the country; on the other hand, it limits their potential pool, since there just aren't that many who can get into the school.

On the other hand, I think the idea of schools reaching well outside their region is much more prevalent than it was decades ago, when it seemed in my unscientific impression that Notre Dame was really the only one consistently recruiting coast to coast. One result of technology making the world seem smaller.

It speaks even more to the importance of getting a better media deal, as Jon Joseph has been preaching. If kids are moving across the country, they want their friends and family back home to be able to see them play. And they will be more interested if they have been watching the Ducks consistently growing up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I want to comment on just two of your points although I mostly agree with your post.  I would point out that most of the "blue blood" schools are in "backwater" towns.  Penn St., Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Michigan are all located in small towns.  Many of these are an hour or three from a major city but so is Eugene.

Your second point that I quoted is valid for sure and that's where Oregon is unique.  We don't have much homegrown talent in the area whereas most of those schools I listed have a lot of talent to choose from in their region.

I think Oregon has proven to be harder to recruit too, but not impossible. This difficulty has either been looked upon as an excuse or a challenge. Fortunately we have another coach and staff who look upon the difficulty as a challenge. That challenge has the full support of the alumni. As Dan stated he now needs the complete support of the fanbase. If all those things come together so will the recruits and the program. A simple formula and certainly not an insurmountable challenge. Rise up fanbase and support Dan, staff and the program! Go Ducks!

My first game was at Autzen and a loss to Hawaii in '92.  I was in my first year and put my elbows on the bench behind and feet on the bench in front and lots of space was still available as this was before it all took off.  Back then I may have described Oregon as back water.  Now The only backwater around there is some excellent kayaking up at the North fork of the Willamette, the Mackenzie, and Fall Creek heading towards the coast.

I get what you mean though because I think most people can't locate the state of Oregon on a map if they're from the East Coast. I do love the energy around the new coaching staff and I'm hoping that it translates into an exciting product both on the field and off. So far I feel pretty good about it! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon is a hard recruit for having a shorter tradition (sometimes called being a blue blood) than some others and because of geography for some. Yes, it's a long, long way from Alabama/Georgia... or Southeastern Virginia where I grew up to Eugene. 

But those of you who are so lucky to live in Eugene, look around you. Look at how beautiful it is, think of all the great people, the spirit of freedom and innovation. Who wouldn't want to live there? I would take Eugene over Tuscaloosa every day of the week! Not that Tuscaloosa's a bad place, but Eugene, wow!

Add to that the University, the facilities, the coaching staff and there is a lot to attract players to UO! 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, 30Duck said:

'Pack the crowd or pack the stadium?' Jimmy Lake would not approve of this use of the English language. Who cares?

On 2/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, OhioDuck said:

Oregon is a hard recruit for having a shorter tradition (sometimes called being a blue blood) than some others and because of geography for some. Yes, it's a long, long way from Alabama/Georgia... or Southeastern Virginia where I grew up to Eugene. 

But those of you who are so lucky to live in Eugene, look around you. Look at how beautiful it is, think of all the great people, the spirit of freedom and innovation. Who wouldn't want to live there? I would take Eugene over Tuscaloosa every day of the week! Not that Tuscaloosa's a bad place, but Eugene, wow!

Add to that the University, the facilities, the coaching staff and there is a lot to attract players to UO! 

No sun, no girls, no worries.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, Duck 1972 said:

No sun, no girls, no worries.

Weather depends on the time of year, I'd take Eugene in August over anywhere in the SEC. You ever experienced two a days in August in the southeast (mine was Virginia, go south it's even worse)? You don't want to. Girls are everywhere. 

Edited by OhioDuck

Lived in "Houston Texas where the sun shines most of time". Nothing better than LA and the south for girls with hardly any clothes on. I know PNW is nice but nothing like the southern part of the country.