Steven A

Mario Got His OC

Knock me over with a Duck-Feather.  All I can say is....this is a great hire for Mario, and I have to assume that he made lots of promises to Gattis, and did a very convincing sales job.  After what happened with Moorhead...I am very surprised.

Thanks for posting...

Mr. FishDuck

Gattis won the Broyles Award award as the top assistant coach in CFB in 2021. The Michigan DC who has also left Ann Arbor and was not far behind in the voting. I think Harbaugh wore these guys out? 

But if Gattis had problems with the peripatetic Harbaugh, wait until he gets a load of Mario's, 'my way or the highway?' I agree with Charles, this is baffling. If you told me Gattis was off to the Miami Dolphins, OK. But the Canes? The money being thrown Gattis' way has to be $erious. And seriously, losing both coordinators speaks poorly for Harbaugh, very poorly.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Gattis will be a great hire for this season. I don't suspect he will be there long. He has already been considered for some pretty good head coaching positions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the OC and DC Cristobal ended up with. I'd love to know how he got Kevin Steele away from Maryland after Steele had only just accepted that job a couple of days prior. Josh Gattis is another great get who seems to fit Cristobal's need for someone skilled with Xs and Os and also a great recruiter. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Edited by latracey

On 2/6/2022 at 9:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Gattis won the Broyles Award award as the top assistant coach in CFB in 2021. The Michigan DC who has also left Ann Arbor and was not far behind in the voting. I think Harbaugh wore these guys out? 

But if Gattis had problems with the peripatetic Harbaugh, wait until he gets a load of Mario's, 'my way or the highway?' I agree with Charles, this is baffling. If you told me Gattis was off to the Miami Dolphins, OK. But the Canes? The money being thrown Gattis' way has to be $erious. And seriously, losing both coordinators speaks poorly for Harbaugh, very poorly.

Funny when I saw the headline I assumed it was the Dolphins job he was taking.  Seems like a lateral move at best considering he was on the short list for some head coaching jobs as well.  Gotta hand it MC on this one.

Hope he likes running it up the middle.

Over and over again.

Michigan's offense last season in truth looked about as exciting as Oregon's. Big difference is they didn't suffer the injuries throughout the year. 

The Michigan defense is more prostyle than what Oregon was running last year but it is probably a better fit for Cristobal. 

I kinda feel like everyone lost with Cristobal as head coach offensively. Cristobal I think really really wanted a full on old school prostyle run heavy offense.

The fans and probably Mullens we're expecting a high scoring spread offense with some bigger linemen so that we could be spread with real power... Kinda like what Ohio State has been able to do with their run game. 

What we got was... Slow moving boring offense that had spread elements such as keeping the QB in the shotgun behind center instead of under center. 

We got the crappiest version of the pistol which was Cristobal probably seeing it as the spread version of the I-formation or something more prostyle.

Everyone lost as we had this weird cobbled together offense that didn't make any sense for anyone and left everyone unhappy.

Now does this mean that he is guaranteed success at Miami with this OC and DC picks? Absolutely not and he still has to let them do their jobs but maybe everyone is more on the same page for the first time in forever which can be good for Cristobal and I wish him the best. 

It makes Oregon look better if coaches leave here as successful coaches as well... Haven't had too much of that with our former head coaches. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, Duckman said:

Hope he likes running it up the middle.

Over and over again.

Michigan did a LOT of running up the middle... Pretty sure he's fine with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, latracey said:

I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the OC and DC Cristobal ended up with. I'd love to know how he got Kevin Steele away from Maryland after Steele had only just accepted that job a couple of days prior. Josh Gattis is another great get who seems to fit Cristobal's need for someone skilled with Xs and Os and also a great recruiter. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

$$$$$$$$$$$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, David Marsh said:

Michigan's offense last season in truth looked about as exciting as Oregon's. Big difference is they didn't suffer the injuries throughout the year. 

The Michigan defense is more prostyle than what Oregon was running last year but it is probably a better fit for Cristobal. 

I kinda feel like everyone lost with Cristobal as head coach offensively. Cristobal I think really really wanted a full on old school prostyle run heavy offense.

The fans and probably Mullens we're expecting a high scoring spread offense with some bigger linemen so that we could be spread with real power... Kinda like what Ohio State has been able to do with their run game. 

What we got was... Slow moving boring offense that had spread elements such as keeping the QB in the shotgun behind center instead of under center. 

We got the crappiest version of the pistol which was Cristobal probably seeing it as the spread version of the I-formation or something more prostyle.

Everyone lost as we had this weird cobbled together offense that didn't make any sense for anyone and left everyone unhappy.

Now does this mean that he is guaranteed success at Miami with this OC and DC picks? Absolutely not and he still has to let them do their jobs but maybe everyone is more on the same page for the first time in forever which can be good for Cristobal and I wish him the best. 

It makes Oregon look better if coaches leave here as successful coaches as well... Haven't had too much of that with our former head coaches. 

Great take. But lateral? From a sold out Big House to a school that plays ball 30 miles from campus? From the B1G champ and a Playoff participant to a school with unrealistic expectations that lives in past glory, that believes Mario is going to recapture the glory? Mario played for Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Ericksen (sp?). Mario is nowhere close to these 2 guys. I wish him continued mediocrity. I don't mean to be petty but what he told Mullens and us regarding the O he was going to run, as Charles has pointed out on numerous occasions, was nothing but male bovine excrement.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stats for last year look similar.

Michigan

Rushing attempts   575 for 3001 yards

Passing attempts   395 for 3202 yards

Oregon

Rushing attempts    535 for 2833 yards

Passing attempts    410 for 3098 yards

• Thumbs Up 1

Was Leavitt the only Coordinator to stay at Oregon for more than a season?

On 2/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, McDuck said:

Stats for last year look similar.

Michigan

Rushing attempts   575 for 3001 yards

Passing attempts   395 for 3202 yards

Oregon

Rushing attempts    535 for 2833 yards

Passing attempts    410 for 3098 yards

Thank you. Michigan had one heck of a D in 2021 with 2 1st round NFL picks playing on the edge. The new DC, Donovan, did great at UM but it is telling that after 1 year he u-turned back to the Baltimore Ravens to play for Jim's brother. Michigan benefited as did Oregon, from Ohio State having its worst D in many a moon. That's why the OK ST DC is taking over at OH ST and Derek Mason is taking the DC job at OK ST.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:03 PM, 30Duck said:

I think Avalos lasted 2 years as did Mastro?

On 2/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

2 years as did Mastro?

Was Mastro ever The OC?

On 2/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, 30Duck said:

Was Mastro ever The OC?

?

What is this, "OC", you speak of?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

• Haha 2

Wasn't Leavitt fired after his first year under Mario?  Avalos, Moorhead and Arroyo were all two seasons I believe.

Something like 90% of D-1 head coaches don't last six years so tenure among assistants will be even less.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, woundedknees said:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

There were signs of Offensive Coordinator Disorder

• Haha 1

Hard to understand the motivation for moving from Harbaugh to Cristobal.

Tax move?

So he wanted to get away from a run-obsessed, meddling, and overbearing man....to go to Cristobal.  Good luck with that!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/6/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

?

Mastro was not ever the OC; two years of Arroyo and two years of Moorhead.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/6/2022 at 9:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. But lateral? From a sold out Big House to a school that plays ball 30 miles from campus? From the B1G champ and a Playoff participant to a school with unrealistic expectations that lives in past glory, that believes Mario is going to recapture the glory? Mario played for Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Ericksen (sp?). Mario is nowhere close to these 2 guys. I wish him continued mediocrity. I don't mean to be petty but what he told Mullens and us regarding the O he was going to run, as Charles has pointed out on numerous occasions, was nothing but male bovine excrement.

Yeah for sure it's a step down at least maybe even 2.  Can you imagine a coordinator from another BIG team like Ohio State going down to Miami to be DC there? Well maybe the DC from PennState, oh wait that would be Manny Diaz,  never mind 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't surprise me if MC didn't just hire his own replacement--eventually.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest Axel
On 2/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

I believe that the reverse is true. When Mario fails at Miami, it will give further evidence that with better coaching, the 2021 Ducks, given their talent, could have defeated Utah twice and played in the College Football Playoff. 

I respect your generosity in wishing Mario well. But all the wishing in the world isn't going to change Mario's stripes and spots and micromanaging ways. He talks a good game, and he'll attract good people to the U for a while, but he's an average all-around coach at best, and the Hurricanes will not get close to the promised land of the CFP under Meddling Mario. 

Edited by Axel

I cant wait till MC goes 5-7. Im going to break open a 5th of Wild Turkey.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, 30Duck said:

They all stayed for two years (minus DeRuyter who left only because MC left) 

Arroyo was actually 3 years, including the Taggart season as he was around for 2017-2019. 

Avalos was 2019 and 2020. 

Moorhead was 2020 and 2021. 

So two year shelf life under MC more or less. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, McDuck said:

Wasn't Leavitt fired after his first year under Mario?  Avalos, Moorhead and Arroyo were all two seasons I believe.

Something like 90% of D-1 head coaches don't last six years so tenure among assistants will be even less.

Yes. Willie hired him as DC in 2017. Mario had him in 2018 before he fired him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two years of Arroyo under Mario--for the fact checkers.  Scoring per game average was insufficient under Arroyo, considering we had a future NFL star at 33 points per game.  Yet it dropped to 31 points per game under Moorhead...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/6/2022 at 9:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

There is no state income tax in FL. So that there is a big increase in $$.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, DanLduck said:

There is no state income tax in FL. So that there is a big increase in $$.

And modest real estate taxes too.

On 2/6/2022 at 2:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I cant wait till MC goes 5-7. Im going to break open a 5th of Wild Turkey.

Need any help with that?

• Haha 3

Reading twitter replies it seems Gattis might have expected a promotion to HC if Harbaugh headed to the NFL.  Anyway he became very unhappy with the Michigan administration and allegedly expressed his displeasure to the team.  Interesting replies to the tweet below.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, McDuck said:

Reading twitter replies it seems Gattis might have expected a promotion to HC if Harbaugh headed to the NFL.  Anyway he became very unhappy with the Michigan administration and allegedly expressed his displeasure to the team.  Interesting replies to the tweet below.

Thanks McDuck!  

This makes sense now.  Harbaugh and Michigan disrespected a top coach, and Mario had his opportunity.  

Gattis likely could have gone the HC route had he acted earlier, but he needs a place to work until the coaching carousel starts anew.

Following  Miami's forums is simply hilarious.  They're so excited to have their OC, and especially this one.  Mario is giving the same talk he gave us.  Balanced offense, fast pace, strong line play.  What they don't realize is it doesn't matter who they get for OC, as Mario will go into his control mode, and the new OC will be forced to call promarily run plays between the tackles, followed by a dink pass on third down. 

There will be no imaginative offense.  During his tenure at Oregon, he had one of the best NFL QBs, and one of the best college OCs, but look at the product on the field he gave us .  I guess it's great their fanbase is excited, but it will be short lived.  Mario just can't help himself.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if MC didn't just hire his own replacement--eventually.

And I bet that was the real (secret) reason by which Josh Gattis accepted the offer after watching others turn MC down. Joining a weak coach is yet just another pathway to head coach. These assistant coaches aren't dummies.

• Thumbs Up 1

This means he has 2 Broyals award winners (top asst coaches) as his coordinators. 

I've been a MC supporter and believe he will be successful in Miami. I also know a whole lot of you don't, so we shall see which way it turns out in S. Florida.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, Duck 1972 said:

This means he has 2 Broyals award winners (top asst coaches) as his coordinators. 

I've been a MC supporter and believe he will be successful in Miami. I also know a whole lot of you don't, so we shall see which way it turns out in S. Florida.

Good take. What do you define as 'success' in Miami? The Canes haven't won a division title in a long time, let alone won the ACC. And no matter how you define 'success' when do you think Mario will achieve same?

MC is a great recruiter for sure.  Got to give him that!   Gattis probably could have stayed and become the HC at Mich, no?   Agree with everyone here that it seems like a stupid move on his part.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:56 AM, Duck 1972 said:

This will also show how good of a head coach he actually is as he has proven assistants. If they fail to produce then it is on Cristobal and his inability to be an effective leader, not his assistant coaches. 

He will have top 10 recruiting classes year in and out. I believe he will win the ACC and play in the PO and ln national title games within 4/5 years out.

I believe he will have the players he needs to be a ground and pound with explosive plays offense and a dominant defense.

I know he isn't perfect and needs some tweaking and I think he will do it. No one will out work this man I'll tell you that.

Now whether Miami will want more than that like a major portion of the OBD forum and Duck fans I don't know?

I never believe in throwing shade at someone unless it's earned and IMHO MC didn't do that, to me.

I know others don't feel the same way as I do but I will have to see him fail at Miami before I will change my mind. 

Edited by Duck 1972

On 2/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good take. What do you define as 'success' in Miami? The Canes haven't won a division title in a long time, let alone won the ACC. And no matter how you define 'success' when do you think Mario will achieve same?

On 2/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe he will win the ACC and play in the PO and ln national title games within 4/5 years out.

Not a matter of anything against Mario, but I don't see Miami dislodging Dabo and Clemson from the top of the ACC, in 4-5 years, they might be competitive. 

Dabo just lost both of his longtime coordinators. I believe that is going to hurt him. I could be wrong, but !

On 2/7/2022 at 1:28 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Dabo just lost both of his longtime coordinators. I believe that is going to hurt him. I could be wrong, but !

They won the last 6 games of their season including their bowl game, I think they probably have it figured out.

Edited by kirklandduck

That was with his coordinators that had been there since when he started. Now they are gone. He might recover but it's just as likely they flail.

And now he adds a quarterback coach.  On paper I can understand Canes fans being deliriously happy.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:40 AM, McDuck said:

And now he adds a quarterback coach.  On paper I can understand Canes fans being deliriously happy.

As Oregon fans we were all super psyched when Moorhead was hired. We blamed many of our offensive problems on Arroyo and moved on. 

Well turns out not much changed besides not having a great quarterback running the show. The pistol did eventually disappear from Oregon and the run game was better ... But down field passing was still only a dream to us.