30Duck

Chargers Hire Rams DC as their New Coach

This seems like a step backwards unless they can retain QB coach Pep Hamilton and OC Shane Steichen.  Herbert blossomed under their tutelage.  Now he has to start all over learning a new offense that may not benefit him.  His development is the key to the Chargers long term success and I'm not sure why they would want to screw that up unless they got a big time hire at HC.

14 minutes ago, ptdduck said:

I'm not sure why they would want to screw that up unless they got a big time hire at HC.

Completely agree; I wonder how Charger fans feel?

Mr. FishDuck

As a long suffering Chargers fan, ever since September 2020 when I was in the grocery store and my friend texted me that Herbert is playing, I’m not sure how to feel.

KC’s Eric Bienimy seemed like the obvious choice, Andy Reid’s right hand man, exciting offense like what Mahomes has. Maybe it’s true what they say about the Chargers franchise being poorly managed and wasting talent. I don’t want to see Herbie wind up having his prodigious talents wasted like Tennessee did to Marcus or Joey and his lesser talents with Matt Millen avoiding drafting future Hall of Fame inductees.

I don’t know anything about the Rams DC, although I watched a few games and liked seeing Troy Hill and Justin Hollins. Four years ago he was a DIII defensive coordinator and now he’s an NFL head coach, crazy. 

1 hour ago, RatherBe said:

As a long suffering Chargers fan, ever since September 2020...

OK...you have a sense of humor that I like already!

Mr. FishDuck

11 hours ago, ptdduck said:

This seems like a step backwards unless they can retain QB coach Pep Hamilton and OC Shane Steichen.  Herbert blossomed under their tutelage.  Now he has start all over learning a new offense that may not benefit him.  His development is the key to the Chargers long term success and I'm not sure why they would want to screw that up unless they got a big time hire at HC.

Right now Justin is not the weakest link in the Chargers armor, however the defense is. I suspect that had a bearing on the matter. 

1 hour ago, BigDucksFan said:

Right now Justin is not the weakest link in the Chargers armor, however the defense is. I suspect that had a bearing on the matter. 

That's a very good point. Justin and the offense succeeded in spite of the former coach. While his offensive ineptness played a part in the Chargers blowing leads game after game, it was the defense where the blame resided. The Chargers don't have Aaron Donald or Jalen Ramsey, but now they have the man that coached them. That's a good start. 

8 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

The Chargers were one of the most injured teams last year especially on D.  It's not hard to imagine them winning close games if they're healthier.  I don't know why they would want to change offensive staffs when Justin had so much success.  

Edited by ptdduck

20 hours ago, ptdduck said:

Now he has to start all over

That could be exactly what he has to do.

Interesting article 30Duck about who could work with Herbert and call plays....

Mr. FishDuck