Coach Eric Boles

Oregon’s Best Offense in My Opinion

I don’t think I’ve ever brought this up with you guys but I think the best Oregon offense I’ve seen was the one that Willie Taggart ran in his single season with Oregon. One of the things I always wondered about the Coach Cristobal era is why they didn’t keep the offense they were already running, especially because when Herbert was healthy, it looked almost unstoppable.

Of course the answer is that he and Arroyo had a different preference. Perhaps if they had been under Coach Taggart for a couple years, they would have.

It's really hard for me to argue against Chip Kelly's offenses with Mariota at QB. The explosiveness in both the run and pass games was beautiful to watch.

That offense cemented me as a Duck fan. I'm still here too and not going anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t know if the statistics support this, but the Chip offense was the best I recall seeing, and it worked under multiple quarterbacks that didn’t make it in the NFL.

The Willy offense looked good with Herbert, an NFL star caliber quarterback, but lousy without him.

I have to stick with Chip for now.

We averaged nearly 50 points a game when Herbert was healthy that year, and even with Burmeister filling in with the losses--we averaged more points in 2017 than the average of Cristobal years.  It was a combo offense of the CK/MH Spread, with a little Pistol and a lot of Taggart's Gulf Coast Offense.  (Which I liked)

I really wish we could learn what Dillingham means by a "Pro-Style" offense, because I love what he said about explosion plays, getting match-ups and how he wants to create problems for defenses with fast tempo.

Does this mean a fast offense, but under center?  Or "Pro-Style" in terms of the passing offense as you alluded to?

If we can score a boatload of points snapping under center with a sophisticated passing offense, the match-ups and tempo, then I am for it.  I certainly understand that to tell recruits you are running a "Pro-Style" offense to prepare them for the NFL is a great sales point.

I know we won't really know until the games are played, but it is confusing considering Dillingham ran the Spread Offense in the past and the Spread really sets you up for entire-field-attack, bigger running and cutback lanes.

Oregon Ducks to hire Kenny Dillingham as new offensive coordinator

Of course I am for any offense that scores a boatload of points!

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Give me Oregon offense 2007 before Dixon went down. It was unstoppable. 

• Thumbs Up 6

On 2/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, 30Duck said:

Give me Oregon offense 2007 before Dixon went down. It was unstoppable. 

Me too. Unstoppable. That's the word I use as well. The most unstoppable offense I've ever witnessed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2022 at 7:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We averaged nearly 50 points a game when Herbert was healthy that year, and even with Burmeister filling in with the losses--we averaged more points in 2017 than the average of Cristobal years.  It was a combo offense of the CK/MH Spread, with a little Pistol and a lot of Taggart's Gulf Coast Offense.  (Which I liked)

I really wish we could learn what Dillingham means by a "Pro-Style" offense, because I love what he said about explosion plays, getting match-ups and how he wants to create problems for defenses with fast tempo.

Does this mean a fast offense, but under center?  Or "Pro-Style" in terms of the passing offense as you alluded to?

If we can score a boatload of points snapping under center with a sophisticated passing offense, the match-ups and tempo, then I am for it.  I certainly understand that to tell recruits you are running a "Pro-Style" offense to prepare them for the NFL is a great sales point.

I know we won't really know until the games are played, but it is confusing considering Dillingham ran the Spread Offense in the past and the Spread really sets you up for entire-field-attack, bigger running and cutback lanes.

Oregon Ducks to hire Kenny Dillingham as new offensive coordinator

Of course I am for any offense that scores a boatload of points!

Right, I’m really excited for Coach Dillingham’s offense but I always wondered why they threw out Taggart’s playbook when he left. 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think this is something I’m going to dive into before long. He used the same line about a fast pro-style while at FSU.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

And Coach Boles...I WILL make a new section in the Oregon Analysis Library for the Dillingham Offense and the Lanning Defense, and get them caught up cataloging as they should be.  Sorry for the delay, as you have created some wonderful work that so many appreciate.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It is truly unfortunate injuries ruined three separate title runs (Dixon's, Mariota's and Herbert's 2017 campaign).  

All three offenses we're unstoppable.  Ironically, Chip's offense lit college football on fire, without the kind of stars those three units possessed.

Herbert's 2017 unit didn't face the kind of competition the other two units encountered, which may explain that fifty plus average when he was healthy.  

This is a tough call.  My favorite was also Slick's because there were so many schemes to defend.  Chip's was the most exciting to watch.  Dixon was magic on wheels, and our favorite QB was completely in his element. 

It's hard to separate my feelings of watching our one and only undefeated campaign en route to our first Natty appearance. It was such a spectacular season, and the surreal nature of recognizing we were really the best team in college football will always give me goosebumps (yes, controversy robbed us of our title no matter what the eye test showed everyone- Can Newton barely survived our onslaught, and got three mulligans to boot- they lose if the refs didn't shield the Tigers from reality).  

• Thumbs Up 5

Great points and it makes the case that Oregon is an offensive machine, if allowed to thrive. For some reason Oregon has produced some amazing offenses over multiple coaches and schemes. It will be exciting to see what the next coach and OC bring to this amazing history.

One item is we have always had dynamic qb's and I hope to see that developed again. The string of OC's who created the offenses has been amazing, but our ability to develop qb's has been our strength too. Who is going to be the next great qb, and OC is going to be a compelling story going forward!

On 2/6/2022 at 4:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would think the Buffalo Bills are a good example of what this might look like 

• Thumbs Up 1

We have had some great Os in the past But dont forget Masoli steamrolling defensive linemen and a good passer as well or the pretty decent arm of Vernon Adams.

Overall the 3rd year of Mariota was it for me.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I don’t think I’ve ever brought this up with you guys but I think the best Oregon offense I’ve seen was the one that Willie Taggart ran in his single season with Oregon. One of the things I always wondered about the Coach Cristobal era is why they didn’t keep the offense they were already running, especially because when Herbert was healthy, it looked almost unstoppable.

Of course the answer is that he and Arroyo had a different preference. Perhaps if they had been under Coach Taggart for a couple years, they would have.

Great subject, thanks Coach. 'Different preference?' I would have gone with a different description which would have warranted soon-as-possible censorship.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Right, I’m really excited for Coach Dillingham’s offense but I always wondered why they threw out Taggart’s playbook when he left. 

It did not have the Vince Lombardi stamp of approval.

• Haha 1

This bringing back way too many good memories. Was at both Dixon’s Michigan and Washington 2007 games. Both fan bases delusional in there arrogance, just in different ways. Unforgettable to experience both groups go numb and dumb when Chip and Dennis hit the shock collar button. Wouldn’t mind seeing some off-shoot of that magic again!

2012 Kelly offense or the 2014 Helfrich Offense. 

Both had Marcus Mariota and in 2014 Mariota won the Heisman which has to say something for the overall quality of the offense. The 2012 team was so close to a National Title appearance and was just a dominant team. 

The 2014 team was something pretty special to watch as well. It came with the emergence of some incredible wide receivers who could stretch the field vertically and get separation, many of which were just freshman. Byron Marshall was moved to wide receiver to make room in the back field for Royce Freeman and Thomas Tyner (who had an up and down season but an incredible Rose Bowl Game). Just a dynamic and fun offense to watch and efficient on the field. This did carry over to 2015 with a very exciting Vernon Adams run offense.... though that season was marred by a broken finger. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, David Marsh said:

.... though that season was marred by a broken finger cheap shot from a bitter ex-teammate. 

Fixed it.

Best lol? Not after halftime when the opposing D adjusted, then Willie had no answers. 

On 2/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, VegasDuck said:

Best lol? Not after halftime when the opposing D adjusted, then Willie had no answers. 

I only remember that happening in a couple of the games. And the one that stands out is Nebraska. I guess that’s ok when you’ve already scored 42 in the first half lol. 

On 2/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, CalBear95 said:

I would think the Buffalo Bills are a good example of what this might look like 

I haven’t studied the Bills offense but it does seem similar!

On 2/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, kirklandduck said:

Fixed it.

Thanks for that...  

Also a concussion in the Alamo Bowl on VA and an injury to the starting center that when paired with a complete defensive collapse resulted in... oh no now I am remembering that Alamo bowl. 

By the way... I am pretty much of the firm belief that Oregon should never play in an Alamo Bowl again... they seem kinda cursed. The 2013 one wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly an exciting game either... but 2016 and 2021 were both awful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Denise Dixon was the best for me. Injury cost a Heisman and a natty that year. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, David Marsh said:

Thanks for that...  

Also a concussion in the Alamo Bowl on VA and an injury to the starting center that when paired with a complete defensive collapse resulted in... oh no now I am remembering that Alamo bowl. 

By the way... I am pretty much of the firm belief that Oregon should never play in an Alamo Bowl again... they seem kinda cursed. The 2013 one wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly an exciting game either... but 2016 and 2021 were both awful. 

That particular Alamo Bowl was a nightmare come to life.  Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.  I can't recall who was the backup center but I distinctly remember him constantly snapping the ball way too high, making an unbearable situation even worse.  If the snapping were consistent, I think Oregon could have clawed their way to a narrow victory in regulation.  Oh well...

We have to stop playing in bowl games for our top 3 teams out of our footprint. In those Alamo Bowl games it was not a neutral field. The opposing team was able to pack the stadium with their fans.

It always seems to happen except in the Rose and Holiday Bowls. It puts our best teams at a disadvantage to travel to Texas and further east. The PAC has to fix this problem now!