Charles Fischer

Why Do Utah Fans HATE OREGON With a Passion?

Perhaps Savagefund--you can shed some light on this?  Or anyone else?

I've heard from many quarters that overall--Utah fans HATE Oregon with a passion.  Can you elaborate on that?  If it is true--no biggie as we are not changing their mind, but I was curious because from what I hear from some--it approaches Beaver or Husky hatred for everything green.

I think you see on this board that we don't like losing to Utah, especially getting our butt-kicked twice like that, but we respect Utah and Whittingham in a big way.  We also want you to keep the South from USC...

Thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

No direct knowledge, but could it be that we eliminated the Utes from a potential playoff invite in a previous Pac12 championship game?

Edited by Duck1984

Also, could it be that we pluck top players out of Utah every year?

Edited by Duck1984

When you are the lead sled dog (or at least used to be) what are the other dogs looking at? Plus, Utah is still trying to outgrow its Mountain West connections.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not so much hate.....as envy. Oregon has great facilities, a world class coaching staff, better than average weather, access to the ocean and mountains and one of the richest men on earth as a supporter. What does Utah have?

Utah fan weighing in  - I would say that the Ducks are probably the most followed and liked team in the PAC-12 for our fans outside of our Utes.  The Ducks have the highest coolness factor and swag for sure.  Most hated is easily USC.  I am sure it felt like a lot of anger last year, but really just pent up frustration from past losses and not getting over the hump and winning the championship game.  I like this site - always looking around to see what is happening with the competition.  Had to put my two cents in.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, fred flintstone said:

Not so much hate.....as envy. Oregon has great facilities, a world class coaching staff, better than average weather, access to the ocean and mountains and one of the richest men on earth as a supporter. What does Utah have?

64bk52.jpg

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 3:43 PM, kirklandduck said:

64bk52.jpg

Great skiing and fans who give a whip and show up for games. Utah's facilities are about to get a big upgrade and the Utes OOC scheduling, getting H+H tilts with SEC teams is excellent.

• Thumbs Up 3

Personally I have not heard a lot of hate for Oregon.  I don't really read Utah message boards because I am not interested in what I call the "childishness" between Utah and BYU fans.  I am sure they can say the same kind of garbage you see on most boards.  I really don't understand it between any fanbase, at least for folks in my age category.

I'm not fond of losing some of our better high schoolers but I can't blame Oregon for going where the getting is good.  🙂

I do like to watch the Utah kids at Oregon.  You've got some really good ones already on the roster and now including the big guy you just got from Washington.

Coaching staff (current one still has to show what they can do, on paper they look fantastic)

Weather - depends on your taste

Ocean - Oregon in no contest

Mountains - Utah wins

Rich man - yep Oregon rich guy is richer

Now I must admit that there are times, due to forum rules, I have held my tongue regarding some to the Utah commentary but over all I think it this a good place to hang out and I feel welcome.

Maybe some know, some don't, pre Utah joining the PAC, Oregon was my favorite Power 5 team.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I went to a Utah game several years back.  It was a Thursday night game against UCLA and it was a "Black Out."  As you can see from the attached photo, I did not comply, instead wearing my lightning yellow Ducks gear.  Didn't get too much grief and had fun tailgating with the Utes fans.  Didn't feel any hatred.

Utah.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If any Utah team should hate Oregon, it's the basketball team, it's pretty lopsided there. Football? The games last season should assuage any hostile feelings a Ute has towards a Duck. Yeah, there was the Clay drop, which next to "The Pick" is a play that will be remembered forever. But, along with last season, there was 2015, Utah came to Autzen, beat Oregon, 62-20. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Goutes18 said:

I like this site - always looking around to see what is happening with the competition.

You are new here, and you are quite welcome.  I always appreciate the reasonable viewpoints of other schools fans, although I can't always say that my views are reasonable!   Do chime in often...

On 2/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, savagefund said:

I don't really read Utah message boards because I am not interested in what I call the "childishness" between Utah and BYU fans.

Well...when it comes to childish...I have to raise my hand with the Husky posts.  But it is such great entertainment!  You have been a model visitor, and I do appreciate your views--thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/7/2022 at 12:58 PM, savagefund said:

Coaching staff (current one still has to show what they can do, on paper they look fantastic)

Weather - depends on your taste

Ocean - Oregon in no contest

Mountains - Utah wins

Rich man - yep Oregon rich guy is richer

Now I must admit that there are times, due to forum rules, I have held my tongue regarding some to the Utah commentary but over all I think it this a good place to hang out and I feel welcome.

Maybe some know, some don't, pre Utah joining the PAC, Oregon was my favorite Power 5 team.

Much respect for the team Whittingham put together this year.  This was the team MC wanted but couldn't deliver.

Now as far as mountains-

Wasatch and Uintas are gorgeous, no argument there.  But have you seen the Cascades from Mt Hood all the way to Crater Lake?  Or Steens Mountain or the Wallowas?  I'll give Utah a push at best.

What Utah has hands down is the best red-rock desert in the world.  From Canyonlands to Capital Reef to Bryce to Zion, one post-card view after another.

I wouldn't mind retiring there.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Like 1

I sat in the Utah section during 2019 PAC-12 championship.  Some good natured ribbing, but the Utah fans were very accommodating to the few Ducks scattered throughout that section of seats.  Also, Utah offers some great outdoor adventures.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, SeattleDuck said:

I sat in the Utah section during 2019 PAC-12 championship.  Some good natured ribbing, but the Utah fans were very accommodating to the few Ducks scattered throughout that section of seats.  Also, Utah offers some great outdoor adventures.

Great to have you on-board SeattleDuck, and do post your thoughts often.  We have quite a few Ducks-in-Seattle in this forum...WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I sat next to a Utah fan in 2009 when they visited Autzen. Utah was on a 16 game winning streak and he was VERY cocky. Typical small school syndrome going on. Utah would easily win the Pac10, BCS is overrated, we lost to Boise, Rice-Eccles is louder than Autzen...etc..

Oregon lead by 14 at half. Utah made headway in the 3rd and he started getting unbearable. The 4th came and Autzen got LOUD!!! Ducks put it away.

After the game. He apologized, thanked me for not killing him, and admitted that was the LOUDEST stadium he had ever been in.  Ute's may act like they hate UO... But deep down its just passion for their team.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/7/2022 at 3:29 PM, DUCati855 said:

Ute's may act like they hate UO... But deep down its just passion for their team.

Yep....just as "I Love my Ducks!"

Naw.  I really do hate the Huskies.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The only fans that I feel HATES Oregon is Washington, in our forum we've assembled the evidence that manifests the enmity. Unlike Washington, USC actually Is a blueblood, and can resent the new kid, with the fancy uni's, who took the spotlight away from them. As Washington sinks deeper into irrelevance, I look forward to battles with USC. 

Fantastic Powder and Rock Climbing.  5 cool national parks.  I-15.  It's 3x bigger than I-5, right?

On 2/7/2022 at 2:52 PM, Duck1984 said:

No direct knowledge, but could it be that we eliminated the Utes from a potential playoff invite in a previous Pac12 championship game?

That is what I was thinking as well.

I'm a '90 Oregon grad and die-hard Duck fan, but went to grad school at Utah have lived in Salt Lake City the last 31 years (and I'm a Ute fan except when they play the Ducks).  I would say Goutes18 and savagefund have it right.  Oregon is a pretty well-liked team among Ute fans.  Ute fans are pretty passionate, and a greater rivalry may be developing, but there is little hatred there at this point.  Ute fans' ire is directed towards BYU for the most part, with USC probably leading among Pac-12 schools.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to put a lot of this on Kyle Whittingham. Having lived in Utah, prior to Whittingham the Utah BYU rivalry was by no means friendly, but once Whittingham was hired, the rivalry became toxic. They were little brother to BYU for a number of years. My opinion is that, now in the PAC 12, Utah is overcoming their little brother mentality towards big brother Oregon. And it is the personna of coach Whittingham that has made toxic, the Utah fan base. 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:13 PM, Chipshot said:

I have to put a lot of this on Kyle Whittingham. Having lived in Utah, prior to Whittingham the Utah BYU rivalry was by no means friendly, but once Whittingham was hired, the rivalry became toxic. They were little brother to BYU for a number of years. My opinion is that, now in the PAC 12, Utah is overcoming their little brother mentality towards big brother Oregon. And it is the personna of coach Whittingham that has made toxic, the Utah fan base. 

With this I could not disagree more as regards to Kyle.  

If Utah is smart they will direct their energy towards their biggest threat which is at their doorstep. USC

On 2/7/2022 at 10:13 PM, Chipshot said:

Also totally disagree that Whit made it toxic.  Urban took the rivalry way up (urinal cakes with a Y on them) but Whit toned some of that down.  Utah has changed and the holy war is beyond just football and is tied into the big religious divide here (and yes I know Whit and many Utes are Mormon).  The rivalry heated up because Utah got better and started to win and the cougars are terrible losers and many Utes are bad winners now that they can rub it in after years of being run over and looked down upon.  I don’t do the local boards because they are mostly toxic and a waste of time.  I enjoy the passion on this site and the honest dislike (hate) for that w team!

In recent years I think it could be nothing more than the appearance of hate, when in fact it's just the (on paper) underdog spirit. To put it in a Game of Thrones analogy:

Utah:

Jon-Snow-Tormund-Wun-Wun-Official-army.j

Oregon:

Bolton-Army.jpg

And of course the other teams ( USC / out of conference) would be even more hated, as outsiders... maybe?

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:12 AM, savagefund said:

With this I could not disagree more as regards to Kyle.  

I also disagree with this comment about Kyle W. He’s a pretty principled  guy as far as coaches go.  I remember reading that when Pharoah Brown blew his knee out in a horrific injury during the Ducks 2015 victory at Utah and had to stay in the hospital there for over a week, Witt visited him several times with different Ute players after practice.  This was in the heels of a tough loss to us.  Shows class.  

• Thumbs Up 5