Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishDuck Article

Believe it, Duck Fans: USC Is for Real

Recommended Posts

On 2/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, Axel said:

I desire a strong USC about as much as I welcome an IRS audit.

A great contributing member AND has a sense of humor?  Love it, as that was FUNNY.

  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, Axel said:

I could not agree more. I want USC to fail just like Buckeye fans, Bama fans, and Sooner fans want their key rivals to fail. Total domination by the Ducks should be the goal, not conference parity.

 

And I don't need any Oregon one-point victories, because those games are "more exciting." I want the Ducks to boat-race everyone, especially bitter enemies like USC, Washington, and Utah. 

 

If the Ducks win 11 of 12 regular-season games and the Pac-12 championship game, they'll make the College Football Playoff, even if the Trojans program inexplicably turns into a fumbling, bumbling mess. 

 

I desire a strong USC about as much as I welcome an IRS audit.

Preach!! 

 

a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

AMEN!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good points made above. I guess I'm in the minority here.  I would like USC to be good (not great) so when we beat them it counts for something and feels all that much better.  If they are overrated like most years then us beating them just adds to our resume.   The one thing that I really get tired of is all the hype for USC each year prior to the season.   I'm already seeing prognosticators listing USC as a possible final 4 contender next year.   I know they have a new godsent coach and a lot of incoming talent but let's get real here.  Just makes me want to hurl.  

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, Quackerbacker said:

I would like USC to be good (not great) so when we beat them it counts for something and feels all that much better

Yes. Both sides have made good points regarding USC. I started, and still agree with the one made here. Beating good to great teams in your conference is better than beating bad teams in your conference. Now, I'm fine with Washington continuing to sink, but that's them.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect USC to be great going forward, and I want them to succeed except when they play the Ducks.  
 

I don’t expect OSU to be great going forward, but I want them to succeed except when they play the Ducks.

 

I don’t expect UW to be great going forward, and I want them to lose every game forever.

 

Among rivals, that makes UW the most hated, OSU the most loved, and USC the most feared.

 

I wish Utah mattered more.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going to kick their ass from sidewalk to Sunday until we don't. I care about the Ducks the other teams don't matter to me. It's what and how WE do. If we play to the best of our capabilities we have the team to be the first PAC 12 to go nattys since 2016. We have the talent we have the coaches and mostly We Are Oregon. Bring it on!

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a good USC, and better PAC 12. It's just more satisfying to put a hurting on SC when they come into the game playing well and thinking they are going to win. Same with any other team.

 

Beating up on bad teams is well like beating up on bad teams.

 

Winning when Oregon and SC are playing for a playoff bid and we send them home AGAIN, empty handed. Now that sounds good to me.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For years, it was assumed by virtually every pundit and talking head in America, that if UW or USC were the opponent, the DUCKS could be pencilled in as the lower.

Not only that, but based on past reputation,  those two were perennially ranked, while Oregon was an afterthought.

I want the DUCKS to be the presumed, and actual,  dominant member of the PAC, for as long as possible. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill just say this, on Sept 17th Im going to be a big fan of Fresno St. On Sept 24 I will be a big fan of Beavis. If USC loses either one of these game their hopes and dreams are lost for the season.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 5:48 AM, cartm25 said:

Offense wins championships now.

 

@Darren Perkins thank you for discussing this topic and mentioning how USC becomes a BIG hurdle for Oregon success. I’ve yet to hear an argument that convinces me that a powerful USC is good for the Ducks . . . it’s just not.

 

As long as we're MC strong, USC is a huge threat.  If DL is as good a HC as he is a DC, then USC keeps us in the top five, six or seven.

 

No need to dread an elite team.  After all, MC gave us boatloads of talent.  Now we're a serious threat to USC, unlike the Pete Carroll years when we were just a nuisancep(albeit the second best team in the conference).  

 

The conference needs four serious threats, as in Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson type teams.  Otherwise, the conference of champions will remain the same legend in their own heads forever.

 

I welcome the battle.  All winners do.  Winners play the best to show they are the best.  We've already dropped Ohio State in a "down year".  Without two of our best defensive players.  With a "marginal" QB.  What's there to fret about?  The best is yet to come.  

 

If you can't believe that, might as well stay home.  You're done before you start. 

 

Bring back those elite Trojans.  We're ready.  Georgia will tell us how far we've come.  Much like Auburn did in 2019.  I see good things coming soon.  

  • Thumbs Up 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mike West said:

 

As long as we're MC strong, USC is a huge threat.  If DL is as good a HC as he is a DC, then USC keeps us in the top five, six or seven.

 

No need to dread an elite team.  After all, MC gave us boatloads of talent.  Now we're a serious threat to USC, unlike the Pete Carroll years when we were just a nuisancep(albeit the second best team in the conference).  

 

The conference needs four serious threats, as in Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson type teams.  Otherwise, the conference of champions will remain the same legend in their own heads forever.

 

I welcome the battle.  All winners do.  Winners play the best to show they are the best.  We've already dropped Ohio State in a "down year".  Without two of our best defensive players.  With a "marginal" QB.  What's there to fret about?  The best is yet to come.  

 

If you can't believe that, might as well stay home.  You're done before you start. 

 

Bring back those elite Trojans.  We're ready.  Georgia will tell us how far we've come.  Much like Auburn did in 2019.  I see good things coming soon.  

Exactly...

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2022 at 1:22 AM, Mike West said:

 

As long as we're MC strong, USC is a huge threat.  If DL is as good a HC as he is a DC, then USC keeps us in the top five, six or seven.

 

No need to dread an elite team.  After all, MC gave us boatloads of talent.  Now we're a serious threat to USC, unlike the Pete Carroll years when we were just a nuisancep(albeit the second best team in the conference).  

 

The conference needs four serious threats, as in Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson type teams.  Otherwise, the conference of champions will remain the same legend in their own heads forever.

 

I welcome the battle.  All winners do.  Winners play the best to show they are the best.  We've already dropped Ohio State in a "down year".  Without two of our best defensive players.  With a "marginal" QB.  What's there to fret about?  The best is yet to come.  

 

If you can't believe that, might as well stay home.  You're done before you start. 

 

Bring back those elite Trojans.  We're ready.  Georgia will tell us how far we've come.  Much like Auburn did in 2019.  I see good things coming soon.  

Can you clarify what you mean by "USC keeps us in the top five, six, or seven." If you mean national ranking, the Ducks didn't need USC last year to get to #3 in the country. They also didn't need USC in 2019 when they were #6, heading straight for top-5, until their ridiculous loss to ASU.

 

I understand how a stronger USC can help the perception of the conference as a whole. However, that disproportionally benefits the lesser teams of the league, and not teams like the Ducks that already have a national brand, reputation, and money. Any perception benefit that comes to the conference from a stronger USC is marginal for the Ducks, at best. The Ducks don't have a perception problem . . . unless we count MC single handedly erasing Oregon's "exciting offense" reputation.

 

We all welcome the battle because USC is coming and there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm simply providing a counter argument to what I hear often on this forum that "A strong USC is good for Oregon." I think it's net negative for the Ducks. The improved perception for the conference is a marginal benefit, at best, for the Ducks because they don't have a perception problem nationally.

 

What WILL have a significant impact is USC taking over CA recruiting. Go look at the Ducks' recruiting classes the last few years . . . dominated by CA recruits while USC was dormant. My fear is that the "Cali-flock" turns into the "Cali-drip". That represents a challenge/threat to the Ducks far bigger than any marginal benefit from the P12 having a slightly better national reputation as a whole. Not to mention USC now has coaching that at least matches the quality at Oregon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2022 at 8:25 AM, cartm25 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "USC keeps us in the top five, six, or seven." If you mean national ranking, the Ducks didn't need USC last year to get to #3 in the country. They also didn't need USC in 2019 when they were #6, heading straight for top-5, until their ridiculous loss to ASU.

 

I understand how a stronger USC can help the perception of the conference as a whole. However, that disproportionally benefits the lesser teams of the league, and not teams like the Ducks that already have a national brand, reputation, and money. Any perception benefit that comes to the conference from a stronger USC is marginal for the Ducks, at best. The Ducks don't have a perception problem . . . unless we count MC single handedly erasing Oregon's "exciting offense" reputation.

 

We all welcome the battle because USC is coming and there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm simply providing a counter argument to what I hear often on this forum that "A strong USC is good for Oregon." I think it's net negative for the Ducks. The improved perception for the conference is a marginal benefit, at best, for the Ducks because they don't have a perception problem nationally.

 

What WILL have a significant impact is USC taking over CA recruiting. Go look at the Ducks' recruiting classes the last few years . . . dominated by CA recruits while USC was dormant. My fear is that the "Cali-flock" turns into the "Cali-drip". That represents a challenge/threat to the Ducks far bigger than any marginal benefit from the P12 having a slightly better national reputation as a whole. Not to mention USC now has coaching that at least matches the quality at Oregon.

 

Here it is in a nutshell: we are stacked with talent NOW.  We are CFP material right now.  If USC goes undefeated until they face Utah, we are right there too. Because we can actually beat Georgia.

 

Many have doubted me before, just read the comments about Auburn and Ohio State  (people were mad we lost to the Tigers after saying we couldn't win, and nobody wanted Ohio State a year ago- I actually thought we'd win both). 

 

 

I don't say that to brag, I just believe in  my own analysis based on the talent we have. Did I mention we are stacked with talent?

 

Fishduck called it: great talent EMERGES immediately.  What did MC do with his bowl game after assuming the helm? He face planted.  So mediocrity also EMERGES early doesn't it? MC's excellence was recruiting.  Lanning's excellence is game time performance. 

 

Riley didn't win a Natty as OC.  And he duplicated his predecessor as HC.  Lanning has a Natty, and started building his team  in his spare time.  What does that tell you?  It tells me we're about to start dominating the conference with or without USC. 

 

California isn't the only state USC needs.  They have to recruit and win battles against Oregon and the blue bloods.  Nationally.  Carroll recruited nationally.  We recruit nationally.  In my eyes that's even Steven.  

 

We aren't going anywhere.  We need USC.  We need two more after that.  And we will still be fine.  Lanning hasn't proven anything yet, but I see game management like we've never seen.  In our entire history.  

 

Watch the Spring Game.  Watch USC's.  You'll know then.  Kids are going to line up to play for Oregon.  And I want USC as our nemesis. 

 

I sure wish I had time to write again.  Darren always brings reality.  I love him for it.  It "sharpens my iron" because I have to find the evidence.  Fortunately, I've done ok.  And I'm glad USC is back, because I believe we have a HC well qualified to handle USC's resurgence. 

  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IPO We need USC to be good along others in the Pac-12 as this will draw eyeballs to the conference that translates in to dollars when we renegotiate our television contracts.  Oregon can't do it by themselves. 

 

The $$ per team right now compared to the Big 10, ACC, and SEC are terrible and the only way that improves (without adding additional markets and teams) is with better performance on the field so that the PAC-12 is relevant.   Besides it's funnier (that may not be word but I'm going with it)  to watch our Ducks beat a good USC team. 

 

 Think back to the blackout in Eugene, we had DeAnthony and USC was good (not great), that was a game everyone wanted to see on a National level.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, Quackerbacker said:

We need USC to be good

I wonder how many USC fans say that they need Oregon "to be good." USC leads the all-time series against Oregon 38-22. That's plenty of "to be good" for me. I only want the Ducks "to be good." I'm rooting for the Trojans "to be bad" on every coin toss, every kickoff, and every snap.

 

I want the USC band "to be bad" at halftime. I want Traveler, the USC horse, "to be bad" and run away from the Coliseum, never to taunt the Ducks again. I want all things "to be bad" for our enemies in the Southland.

 

If it could happen with no loss of life to humans, dogs, cats, and parakeets, I wouldn't mind if USC slid westward several miles until it settled beneath the waves of the Pacific Ocean. 

 

It's called a rivalry for a reason. They wish a pox on us, we wish a pox on them. Go Ducks. 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 7:09 AM, geoquack said:

Riley is the most overhyped coach in the history of college football.  He was a big fish in the small pond called the Southwest Conference.  0-3 in playoff games.  If not for the LA media market and the AD's goofball introductory press conference remarks, this would just be another hire.

I could not disagree more.

 

This hire is a homerun for USC, and exactly the type of hire their big pocket boosters wanted to see.

 

You’ve got Rick Caruso, the multi-billionaire real estate developer and newly announced candidate for LA mayor, on the podium for the announcement.

 

Money will soon be flooding in from USC’s well healed boosters, and the days of the Ducks stealing elite talent from SoCal will soon be much more difficult. 
 

Do we lose Travis Dye to USC without Riley taking the job? Probably not.

 

Would Caleb Williams be there? Would any of the elite recruits who had committed to Oklahoma, but switched to USC, be there, except for Riley? Of course not. 
 

This is a power shift in the Pac-12, no question.

 

And, seriously, would those of us on this board be taking shots at Riley if Oregon had hired him?

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone, including Lincoln Riley, agrees that SC has to vastly improve on D. Bringing in 2 LBs off the portal from the SEC is likely a step in the right direction. But SC still has a long way to go to shore up the D side of the ball.

 

But the Trojans OL in 2021 was not all that bad. The OL gave up 18 sacks in 12 games in 2021. Caleb Williams is excellent at avoiding the rush and making big plays out of broken plays. What were sacks in 2021 may not be sacks in 2022. 

 

Yards per rush at 4.4 in 2021, was the Trojans best in the last 4 seasons. 5 guys who made starts on the OL in 2021 are back including Pac-12 honorable mention center Neilon and G/T Vorhees. Picking up 2nd team All ACC tackle Bobby Haskins from UVA is a good addition.

 

Add in Dye (sigh) and Jones from Stanford at RB and 3 good WRs from the portal. The Trojans in 2021 might have a suspect D but will likely put up a lot of points on every Pac-12 opponent with the exception perhaps, coming in the game at Utah. But recall that the Utah D was lit up by Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. 

 

I see a lot of the 2021 Buckeyes in the SC team in 2022. The Trojans is likely to have the best O in the conference but will it be able to win enough shoot outs to capture the South Division? As Ducks fans are well aware, SC for the 2nd year in a row does not play the Ducks in the regular season. Couple this with Utah having to play at Autzen and I will be far from surprised if SC is not playing for a Pac-12 title in 2022.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 8:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Couple this with Utah having to play at Autzen and I will be far from surprised if SC is not playing for a Pac-12 title in 2022.

It would certainly make for a lot of eyeballs wanting to watch the title game, unlike some seasons I suspect. Made for TV story line - the gunslinger from Oklahoma vs. the young gun from Alabama Georgia meet up to take it all in their first season in the conference. *edited for Freudian slip in getting which school won the natty 😄 *

 

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, Viking Duck said:

It would certainly make for a lot of eyeballs wanting to watch the title game, unlike some seasons I suspect. Made for TV story line - the gunslinger from Oklahoma vs. the young gun from Alabama meet up to take it all in their first season in the conference.

Love the take, although Nix after 3 seasons in the SEC at Auburn is more of an 'old gun?'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to say Axel that was a great take!   🙂  I would love to see the Trojans in the Pac-12 title game and I think a lot of other people would love to see that game also.  Riley vs Lanning the two new heir apparents of the Conference.  Who will come out on top!   That would be the rekindling of a beautiful  rivalry......assuming the Ducks win of course!  

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Love the take, although Nix after 3 seasons in the SEC at Auburn is more of an 'old gun?'

Oh, haha, I was thinking about the coaches being the gunslinger and the young gun. I did not even think about the quarterback angle as well being there.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mike West said:

 

Here it is in a nutshell: we are stacked with talent NOW.  We are CFP material right now.  If USC goes undefeated until they face Utah, we are right there too. Because we can actually beat Georgia.

 

Many have doubted me before, just read the comments about Auburn and Ohio State  (people were mad we lost to the Tigers after saying we couldn't win, and nobody wanted Ohio State a year ago- I actually thought we'd win both). 

 

 

I don't say that to brag, I just believe in  my own analysis based on the talent we have. Did I mention we are stacked with talent?

 

Fishduck called it: great talent EMERGES immediately.  What did MC do with his bowl game after assuming the helm? He face planted.  So mediocrity also EMERGES early doesn't it? MC's excellence was recruiting.  Lanning's excellence is game time performance. 

 

Riley didn't win a Natty as OC.  And he duplicated his predecessor as HC.  Lanning has a Natty, and started building his team  in his spare time.  What does that tell you?  It tells me we're about to start dominating the conference with or without USC. 

 

California isn't the only state USC needs.  They have to recruit and win battles against Oregon and the blue bloods.  Nationally.  Carroll recruited nationally.  We recruit nationally.  In my eyes that's even Steven.  

 

We aren't going anywhere.  We need USC.  We need two more after that.  And we will still be fine.  Lanning hasn't proven anything yet, but I see game management like we've never seen.  In our entire history.  

 

Watch the Spring Game.  Watch USC's.  You'll know then.  Kids are going to line up to play for Oregon.  And I want USC as our nemesis. 

 

I sure wish I had time to write again.  Darren always brings reality.  I love him for it.  It "sharpens my iron" because I have to find the evidence.  Fortunately, I've done ok.  And I'm glad USC is back, because I believe we have a HC well qualified to handle USC's resurgence. 

Lot of good points here, but the Ducks "needing" USC still doesn't resonate with me. Last year, what the Ducks "needed" more than ANYTHING was to beat Utah. They had a clear path to the CFP without USC's seal of approval.

 

You're right about the Ducks' talent, and it's exciting, but the nation recognizes Oregon's talent despite USC's status. Besides, how do you think the Ducks got so loaded with talent? They pillaged CA while USC was down. They got the highest ranked recruit in CA two years in a row in KT and Flowe. Recruiting is a bit of a zero-sum game, and I don't want the Ducks to have to share with USC anymore than they already do.

 

I realize the Ducks recruit nationally, but in every one of MC's highly ranked classes, recruits from CA made up a plurality, and sometimes a majority, of the entire class. Oregon is dependent on CA for recruiting to some extent. USC WILL recruit much better (likely dominate) in CA, and this will have an impact on Oregon's recruiting, and may make it harder to maintain the highly ranked classes we've become accustomed to.

 

I share your excitement about Lanning, as well, but at this point it's all "potential" and "conjecture". Lanning has a "Natty" as much as MC has one with Bama. Natty credit should go to the team/players and HC . . . I'll wait to see the assistants actually manage a game as HC before saying they're better than their predecessors (ie, Kelly, Belotti, Brooks, etc.). That said, you have no idea how badly I want your hunches to come to fruition re: Lanning & Co.

 

It seems I've found a kindred spirit in @Axel with our views on USC and the Ducks. I want the Ducks to out-recruit, out-play, out-coach, and thoroughly dominate USC in every facet . . . And if that makes USC look terrible, I'm ok with it.  

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Champions always have to go through a tough conference.  You think Ohio State had it easy?  They are in the second toughest division in CFB.  

 

Georgia boosters our status this year, after that we go back to our conference as our reference.  Now think about Norte Dame.  Undefeated and lame.  That's us without USC.  We don't have Clemson type credibility. 

 

We didn't get Flowe and Thibs because USC was down.   We got them over the super blue bloods.  So USC isn't the threat they used to be.   

 

MC was a position coach at Bama.  Lanning ran the defense.  Huge difference.  And it clearly showed ( despite MC's stint at FIU).  

 

Winning titles will never be as easy as ducking the emergence of a blue blood.   If you can't out recruit USC, you can't out recruit Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, or the SEC.  Thus, you're done anyway.  

 

The path of a champion will always be difficult.  Embrace it.  It needs character. 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Ducks don’t go undefeated let’s face it The Ducks probably won’t see a final four no matter what USC is doing. Next season 2 loses will be a great recovery from the turmoil of MC and we might have that by regular season. A rose bowl would be a big goal next season. Utah should be the team to beat next year so we shouldn’t see The Trojans. Maybe down the road we will need to beat them but probably not next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top