Jump to content
nogerO

Thoughts on our QB for next year?

Recommended Posts

Brown - I've heard rumors he's transferring but nothing yet.  Also heard MC talked him into staying.  #1 if he stays

Thompson - He comes in with super high expectations. Probably like Herbert's rookie year if Brown goes in the portal.  I truly hope he can challenge for the starting QB but time will tell.  Probably #1A or 2

Shough - I am not a fan at all. Panics under the slightest pressure.  He's a serviceable stop gap against weaker teams but I'd like to see him in the portal.  #3

Butters - Good arm but not real mobile probably #3 or 4

Ashford - Maybe he could run some wildcat because at 6'5 225 he is a big dude. Probably #4 or 5 or switches to TE?

Millen - likely transfers or switches positions

 

What do y'all think.  If this has already been discussed just delete it Mod(s)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would make the whole process much more simple, I think, if Brown stays as it would show that he is clearly 1st on the depth chart. Thompson is the future, the idea of him throwing to the receivers the Ducks have assembled, is as good as it gets. I also agree about Shough. Somebody had to be the quarterback that season, and credit to him for showing up. But I don't see a future for him at Oregon and think a transfer would serve him well. Millen's talents seem like they could be best used at another position, and the others, a work in progress. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a shame, but we are starting over at QB next season and that really hurts the upside of the team due to the severe learning curve of actual game action.  The coaches will have to go through quite a process to find out who can play.

I know that many of us like Anthony Brown, but he had a receiver open at the goal line....and over-threw him.  We need someone who can get the job done for certain, or has the obvious upside to warrant the time, patience and errors.

Anthony Brown_Fiesta Bowl.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

I know that many of us like Anthony Brown, but he had a receiver open at the goal line....and over-threw him. 

Thank you, Charles. I didn't want to be the only person to express doubt about Brown. He had a couple of chances to lead the team down the field and they failed to score. There was a reason that Shough started in front of him.

I don't think he is the starter next year. I hope we have someone better. Hoping Butterfield or Thompson. Problem is we didn't get to see a spring game last year, so we have no clue where the back-ups might be.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I hope we have someone better. Hoping Butterfield or Thompson

I would like to see these two fight it out for the starting slot. 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that if Brown comes back for another year and everyone else stays, it would be a really full QB room for this day and age.

And all of the young ones were fairly highly rated coming out of high school - Millen would be the lowest.

I can imagine that once the pecking order gets sorted out, there will either be a couple transfers or position changes, as NogerO mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking Butterfield or Thompson.

Though I really do believe the winner of the position will be determined by throwing ability over running ability. 

The priority with the quarterback needs to be making all the throws and not turn the ball over.

Shough missed a lot of routes over the middle and those are must hit routes. 

Being able to run would be nice ... But a prostyle quarterback can still run the ball as Clemson's Lawrence has run the ball pretty effectively though he doesn't have anywhere near the speed of some of the typical prototypical duel threat quarterbacks. 

Being able to throw the ball is going to be the key to the offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

Problem is we didn't get to see a spring game last year, so we have no clue where the back-ups might be.

I think you just verbalized the sentiment of the fans, and most importantly, the coaches.

Without the spring game and more scrimmage time it is hard to tell who has it. There is something about game speed and the dynamics of the games rhythm that separates those that just look good from those that play good. Without game speed, college game speed, there are a multitude of players who have looked good, but just didn't have it at the next level. We need to find out who has it at the next level.

I personally like Ashford, but he will need to compete this spring if he really wants to win the starting role. We do need a strong back-up and maybe he thinks he can come and win the job as a back-up.

The one who is really exciting is Ty Thompson. The kid has a 4.3 GPA and has been called Mr. Clutch. He won a multitude of games on the last drive. Supposedly the kid has ice in his veins. We need a kid who doesn't get rattled, while having the skills. 

I think we have the support around a qb to make the offense really special. It may take a year to jell, but one of these guys is going to rise up and take this job and run with it, exciting times coming up!

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Millen's talents seem like they could be best used at another position.

Have we ever seen his quarterback talents at Oregon?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

It is a shame, but we are starting over at QB next season and that really hurts the upside of the team due to the severe learning curve of actual game action.  The coaches will have to go through quite a process to find out who can play.

I know that many of us like Anthony Brown, but he had a receiver open at the goal line....and over-threw him.  We need someone who can get the job done for certain, or has the obvious upside to warrant the time, patience and errors.

Anthony Brown_Fiesta Bowl.jpg

Quarterbacking is a combination of size, athletic talent, brains, and composure. The first three are given or none of these guys would be at a D1 school. The last component is where the amount of snaps come in and how comfortable a guy is in a given system. 

Anthony Brown has a lot of snaps under his belt at the D1 level. He probably had somewhere around 2,000 game snaps when he came to Oregon. Tyler Shough played his first season as a starter without the benefit of a Spring practice, a Fall Practice, and a three game "practice" schedule against the Montana State's of the college football world to work out the kinks, get into rhythm with his teammates, and build confidence. He just jumped into the deep end of the pool from the first game. With a new offensive coordinator. And an offensive line that zero snaps together as a unit. And all he did was go out and lead the league in Passing Efficiency and Top-Three in just about every other meaningful QB category.

And that was with what? 400 snaps? I'm thinking that people need to take the rhetoric down just a notch or two and finish letting Shough develop a little more. Let him get more comfortable in Coach Morehead's offense, allow his returning O-Line to become more efficient and cohesive.

It's one thing to play QB in HS, it's quite another to do it at the D1 level. It's a giant learning curve. Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling. The numbers bear that out. And the the though that someone already in the QB room (Butterfield or Millen) is going to magically overtake him in the spring is a fantasy. And Ty Thompson? He played 4A ball in Arizona when he was putting up all of those big numbers. When he gets to Oregon he's going to find out that there is a staggering amount information to process from play-to-play, as well as week-to-week. And the maturation doesn't happen overnight.

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mallard said:

Have we ever seen his quarterback talents at Oregon?  

No we haven't. But the coaches probably have, he's at the bottom of the depth chart. It seems there's a better chance of him contributing at  another position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, NogerO said:

Brown - I've heard rumors he's transferring but nothing yet.  Also heard MC talked him into staying.  #1 if he stays

This would be my preference as well.  Brown may not be the perfect QB although I would argue any evaluation was held back by a limited practice time and a very small sample size in the 2020 season.  Looking forward, I believe his experience, poise, and running ability give the Ducks the best chance at winning in 2021.  And, sets up for a massive QB battle heading into 2022, at which point I would expect to see some transfers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChicoDuck said:

Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling.

Your analysis of the number of snaps is not something we have seen here, nor have I anywhere.  Great observations to add to this and we are delighted to have your feedback here ChicoDuck!  Your perspective makes many of us take some pause before giving up on Shough...

Tyler Shough_Eugene Johnson.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ChicoDuck said:

Quarterbacking is a combination of size, athletic talent, brains, and composure. The first three are given or none of these guys would be at a D1 school. The last component is where the amount of snaps come in and how comfortable a guy is in a given system. 

Anthony Brown has a lot of snaps under his belt at the D1 level. He probably had somewhere around 2,000 game snaps when he came to Oregon. Tyler Shough played his first season as a starter without the benefit of a Spring practice, a Fall Practice, and a three game "practice" schedule against the Montana State's of the college football world to work out the kinks, get into rhythm with his teammates, and build confidence. He just jumped into the deep end of the pool from the first game. With a new offensive coordinator. And an offensive line that zero snaps together as a unit. And all he did was go out and lead the league in Passing Efficiency and Top-Three in just about every other meaningful QB category.

And that was with what? 400 snaps? I'm thinking that people need to take the rhetoric down just a notch or two and finish letting Shough develop a little more. Let him get more comfortable in Coach Morehead's offense, allow his returning O-Line to become more efficient and cohesive.

It's one thing to play QB in HS, it's quite another to do it at the D1 level. It's a giant learning curve. Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling. The numbers bear that out. And the the though that someone already in the QB room (Butterfield or Millen) is going to magically overtake him in the spring is a fantasy. And Ty Thompson? He played 4A ball in Arizona when he was putting up all of those big numbers. When he gets to Oregon he's going to find out that there is a staggering amount information to process from play-to-play, as well as week-to-week. And the maturation doesn't happen overnight.

 

Well done, CD. Great analysis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many knowledgeable posters on subjects like this. The QB room has to be really difficult to manage. The coaches felt that Shough clearly had the edge over Brown. Who leaves, who stays, who is on the fence? It makes my head spin as this is the most important position on the team. 

What does the Spring look like for DUCK football? Have the players been vaccinated? Are they required to be vaccinated? I do not know how vaccinations are working in Oregon but in California delivery of the vaccine is way behind the power curve. With a normal spring practice, I think the coaches will have a better time to make this decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling. The numbers bear that out."

 

SHOUGH: 160.4 (2020: 7 games UO)

63.5% for 1,559 yards 13 TDs and 6 INT, 9.4 ypa, 4.1 ypc

BROWN: 154.5 (2019: 5.5 games BC)

59.1% for 1,250 yards  9 TDs and 2 INT, 9.1 ypa, 3.9 ypc

153.8 (2020: 2 games UO)

65.2% for 164 yards 2 TDs and 0 INT, 7.1 ypa, 5.7 ypc

Brown Combined 2019 and 2020 (7.5 games):

60% for 1,414 yards 11 TDs and 2 INT, 8.8 ypa, 4.2 ypc

 

There may be another set of numbers out there? If so, they would be interesting to review. These numbers above could be picked over for tiny differences but appear to be essentially the same. 

 

 

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AnotherOD said:

"Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling. The numbers bear that out."

SHOUGH: 160.4 (2020: 7 games UO)

63.5% for 1,559 yards 13 TDs and 6 INT, 9.4 ypa, 4.1 ypc

BROWN: 154.5 (2019: 5.5 games BC)

59.1% for 1,250 yards  9 TDs and 2 INT, 9.1 ypa, 3.9 ypc

153.8 (2020: 2 games UO)

65.2% for 164 yards 2 TDs and 0 INT, 7.1 ypa, 5.7 ypc

There may be another set of numbers out there? If so, they would be interesting to review. These numbers above could be picked over for tiny differences but appear to be essentially the same. 

 

 

College Football Reference is a pretty good source.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-brown-11.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm not really seeing the difference in numbers supporting any argument. The biggest difference is possibly QB efficiency and the difference between 160 and 155 is about 4 spots out of 126 QBs. Most of Brown's numbers came from playing for a poor Boston College team, with several years of not so hot offenses, with Arizona/Oregon State rated talent around him, mixed around a pair of leg injuries.

Eyeball test shows some similarities between the two QBs, especially with more basic throws from clean pockets; but, a difference in handling pressures, and consistent proper decision making (look at the read at 3:17 in the 2nd quarter of the bowl game on Brown's 16 yard TD run, that's the sort of play that is there - that helps make this offense work - that TS misses regularly). Brown's BC tape and limited time at Oregon does not show this massive trouble processing things and not breaking down the first sign of trouble. Also, as the season progressed, it was obvious downfield passing under TS had all but disappeared. Maybe Brown had a mixed bag at BC, but one thing not missing was the ability to stretch the field.

Mistakes? Sure, but the game doesnt look 10x too fast for Brown, nor does he seem to especially panic with pressure. Its possible this goes away for TS, but at this point he has played enough to suggest its a gamble.

Brown did fumble but it was an effort play and very, very close to being down. He missed a throw - but threw a nice ball for a TD called back the play before. I think we all saw four years of Herbs throwing a few regular head scratchers. I think he is allowed a couple? Especially on something like his 14th pass of the year? 

Edited by AnotherOD
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ChicoDuck said:

Tyler Shough's floor is Anthony Brown's ceiling.

I don't think his play at Oregon bears that out. If Brown can get playing time next year, we'll see, but that is a big "IF"

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, AnotherOD said:

I think we all saw four years of Herbs throwing a few regular head scratchers. I think he is allowed a couple? Especially on something like his 14th pass of the year? 

That is a good point, and makes me want to tone down my assertions-thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about the whole 400 snaps thing and that doesn't include how many he had in practice with the #1 center.  How many snaps has AB had with the starters?  Again tends to suggest to me that Shough is a practice QB and Brown is a "gamer".  It also tends to enforce for me the inability of the coaching staff a couple years ago to let Shough get meaningful snaps at the end of games where Herbert had NO business being in the game unless they were trying to get more style points hoping to be included in the CFP,  which is a pretty closed club of late.  Who knows, had Shough had a few hundred more snaps in real games maybe he would have been enough better and comfortable enough to beat the beevers among others.  

Again, just my 2 cents, just trying to expose more food for thought.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ty Thompson, QB1, Game One of the 2021/22 season. I think he will pop if we get a spring and fall practice and pop by Game Three if we don't. I said this an hour after the Fiesta Bowl, and I will say it again. Is there a contest like the score-picking game, Mr. Fish? A prize? I believe in my selection.

Btw, my profile picture is my wife next to LaMichael James in his restaurant in Portland. I'm surprised I held the camera steady. I get star-struck. Probably why I have never met the Big Fish in person. I would be tongue-tied by his greatness.

Edited by Duckpop22
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

 

I'm not really seeing the difference in numbers supporting any argument. The biggest difference is possibly QB efficiency and the difference between 160 and 155 is about 4 spots out of 126 QBs. Most of Brown's numbers came from playing for a poor Boston College team, with several years of not so hot offenses, with Arizona/Oregon State rated talent around him, mixed around a pair of leg injuries.

Eyeball test shows some similarities between the two QBs, especially with more basic throws from clean pockets; but, a difference in handling pressures, and consistent proper decision making (look at the read at 3:17 in the 2nd quarter of the bowl game on Brown's 16 yard TD run, that's the sort of play that is there - that helps make this offense work - that TS misses regularly). Brown's BC tape and limited time at Oregon does not show this massive trouble processing things and not breaking down the first sign of trouble. Also, as the season progressed, it was obvious downfield passing under TS had all but disappeared. Maybe Brown had a mixed bag at BC, but one thing not missing was the ability to stretch the field.

Mistakes? Sure, but the game doesnt look 10x too fast for Brown, nor does he seem to especially panic with pressure. Its possible this goes away for TS, but at this point he has played enough to suggest its a gamble.

Brown did fumble but it was an effort play and very, very close to being down. He missed a throw - but threw a nice ball for a TD called back the play before. I think we all saw four years of Herbs throwing a few regular head scratchers. I think he is allowed a couple? Especially on something like his 14th pass of the year? 

Don't get lost in the weeds. My point was that you never saw the trajectory from year one to year three that one normally sees in performance. It's "flat", no? For example, his completion percentage hovers around 51-55%. And his TD-to-Pick ration is stagnant at 2/1. This is the resume of a backup. A guy that won't hurt you if he's called into a game due to injury or you need to have a talk with your starter.

Stats are important. They measure progress. It's ok to have a first year guy put up stats like this. But in year two, you want to see the completion percentage hit 60 and that TD-to-INT ratio get up to 3/1. And at the D1 level, a third year guy getting ready for the Draft? It should look more like 65% & at least 4/1.

With that in mind, that's why I said Shough's floor is already higher than Brown's ceiling.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChicoDuck said:

With that in mind, that's why I said Shough's floor is already higher than Brown's ceiling

Good explanation. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chico makes some great points. I do think Brown is the guy who is on the sideline in case our qb position melts down. You need a guy in clutch situations to just go through the progression without distraction.

What we saw was the qb position break down. Brown was brought in to finish the job, as the coaches lost faith Shough could finish. I think the coaches will continue to look for the guy who can start and finish.

My hope is the history of Ty winning multiple tight games in high school will translate to the college level. We need a clutch qb, something Oregon has had in the past. There is nothing like knowing the qb behind center is going to lead the team to victory. I look forward to that sentiment again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Duckpop22 said:

Probably why I have never met the Big Fish in person. I would be tongue-tied by his greatness.

For those of you who do not know...Duckpop22 was our humor writer for like six years and always knew how to make me laugh.  It is true...he and I have never met in person, but have spent hours on the phone and in email howling at the antics of the other.

I do not get paid from the sites, but I have new Duck-Brothers like Duckpop22 across the United States--and that is a treasure.

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChicoDuck said:

Don't get lost in the weeds. My point was that you never saw the trajectory from year one to year three that one normally sees in performance. It's "flat", no? For example, his completion percentage hovers around 51-55%. And his TD-to-Pick ration is stagnant at 2/1....

Stats are important. They measure progress. It's ok to have a first year guy put up stats like this. But in year two, you want to see the completion percentage hit 60 and that TD-to-INT ratio get up to 3/1. And at the D1 level, a third year guy getting ready for the Draft? It should look more like 65% & at least 4/1.

 

I haven't seen anyone suggest Anthony Brown was coming in with some sort of perfect career arc. If so, he probably wouldn't have been a transfer.

As for trajectory, its a nice idea, but going back to before Bill Musgrave, I can't see a single case of a starting Duck QB actually fitting that narrative? Marcus is maybe the only one close to it, but Marcus was great as a freshman, a bit better as a sophomore, and a bit better as a junior. He went from like an A- to an A  to an A+ over his 3 years. The rest of the guys generally were better as seniors sure, but:

 

Justin Herbert: PE rating went from 149 to 168 to 145 to 157. Completion % started at 64% and ended at 67%, dropped to 59% as a junior. His TD/INT percentage was 0.83 as a freshman and 0.84 as a senior.

Darron Thomas: two years as a starter, great as a sophomore and slightly better as a junior. 62% completions both years, passing efficiency 151 to 159, TD/INT 30/9 then 33/7.

Jeremiah Masoli: PE rating went from 132 to 130 to 121. TD/INT started 13/5 went to 15/6 finished 14/13. Completions 57% then 58% then 56%.

Dennis Dixon: PE rating from 142 to 121 to 161. TD/INT from 6/3 to 12/14 to 20/4. Completion percentage 66% to 61% to 68%. No real trajectory between so and jr. 2007 Chip Kelly era magic as sr.

Kellen Clemens: PE rating from 140 to 132 to 153, completions 60% then 60% then 64%. TD/INT 18/9, 22/10, then 19/4. Like Dixon, first year better than second, jumped in third.

Joey Harrington: sophomore and junior years very similar statistically, a bit better as a senior (PE 133 to 125 to 144, completions 53%, 53%, 59%, TD/INT 10/3, dropped to 22/14 then improved to 27/6).

Tony Graziani: 7 games then 11 games then 6 games, finally threw less picks as a senior but completion percentage 54% all 3 years, PE 120 down to 111 up to 131.

Danny O'Neill: PE rating 118 Up to 149 down to 124, completions 56% to 62% down to 53%. INT did improve 11/10 to 22/15 to 22/9.

Bill Musgrave: all four years roughly the same: PE rating (137 to 123 to 132 to 130), completions (59 to 51 to 58 then 58), TD/INT (13/8, 8/4, 22/16, 17/12).

As odd as it may sound, the one guy on this list that probably "fits" this narrative best is Anthony Brown at BC over his 3 years.

PE rating went from 103 to 135 to 155.

Completions went from 52% to 55% to 59%.

TD/INT ratio improved from 0.55 to 0.69 to 0.82.

 

Edited by AnotherOD
Link to post
Share on other sites

AnotherOD, you just muddled me with facts. I read Chico's description of what the progression should be and thought, "How cool. Now we will know how to judge quarterbacks going forward forever!" Then you waltz in and tell us that each quarterback is an an individual young man who will progress at his individual speed. How discouraging to have to pay attention. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Duckpop22 said:

How discouraging to have to pay attention. 🙂

Duckpop22....your tongue-in-cheek made me laugh again!  And it was a great post by OD, as both he and Chico taught all a ton...

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

My hope is the history of Ty winning multiple tight games in high school will translate to the college level. We need a clutch qb, something Oregon has had in the past. There is nothing like knowing the qb behind center is going to lead the team to victory. I look forward to that sentiment again!

Yes, it's been a long time since we've had a clutch QB.

giphy.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Duckpop22 said:

AnotherOD, you just muddled me with facts. I read Chico's description of what the progression should be and thought, "How cool. Now we will know how to judge quarterbacks going forward forever!" Then you waltz in and tell us that each quarterback is an an individual young man who will progress at his individual speed. How discouraging to have to pay attention. 🙂

Dang that's funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, AnotherOD said:

 

I haven't seen anyone suggest Anthony Brown was coming in with some sort of perfect career arc. If so, he probably wouldn't have been a transfer.

As for trajectory, its a nice idea, but going back to before Bill Musgrave, I can't see a single case of a starting Duck QB actually fitting that narrative? Marcus is maybe the only one close to it, but Marcus was great as a freshman, a bit better as a sophomore, and a bit better as a junior. He went from like an A- to an A  to an A+ over his 3 years. The rest of the guys generally were better as seniors sure, but:

 

Justin Herbert: PE rating went from 149 to 168 to 145 to 157. Completion % started at 64% and ended at 67%, dropped to 59% as a junior. His TD/INT percentage was 0.83 as a freshman and 0.84 as a senior.

Darron Thomas: two years as a starter, great as a sophomore and slightly better as a junior. 62% completions both years, passing efficiency 151 to 159, TD/INT 30/9 then 33/7.

Jeremiah Masoli: PE rating went from 132 to 130 to 121. TD/INT started 13/5 went to 15/6 finished 14/13. Completions 57% then 58% then 56%.

Dennis Dixon: PE rating from 142 to 121 to 161. TD/INT from 6/3 to 12/14 to 20/4. Completion percentage 66% to 61% to 68%. No real trajectory between so and jr. 2007 Chip Kelly era magic as sr.

Kellen Clemens: PE rating from 140 to 132 to 153, completions 60% then 60% then 64%. TD/INT 18/9, 22/10, then 19/4. Like Dixon, first year better than second, jumped in third.

Joey Harrington: sophomore and junior years very similar statistically, a bit better as a senior (PE 133 to 125 to 144, completions 53%, 53%, 59%, TD/INT 10/3, dropped to 22/14 then improved to 27/6).

Tony Graziani: 7 games then 11 games then 6 games, finally threw less picks as a senior but completion percentage 54% all 3 years, PE 120 down to 111 up to 131.

Danny O'Neill: PE rating 118 Up to 149 down to 124, completions 56% to 62% down to 53%. INT did improve 11/10 to 22/15 to 22/9.

Bill Musgrave: all four years roughly the same: PE rating (137 to 123 to 132 to 130), completions (59 to 51 to 58 then 58), TD/INT (13/8, 8/4, 22/16, 17/12).

As odd as it may sound, the one guy on this list that probably "fits" this narrative best is Anthony Brown at BC over his 3 years.

PE rating went from 103 to 135 to 155.

Completions went from 52% to 55% to 59%.

TD/INT ratio improved from 0.55 to 0.69 to 0.82.

 

It's worth noting that both Clemens and Herbert played in multiple offenses.  Clemens started off in Tedford's offense, then Ludwig's, and finally Crowton's spread. Chip Kelly was hired after Crowton.  Herbert played in Helfrich's version of Chip's offense, Taggart's Gulf Coast, and Arroyo's pistol based scheme.  Clemens benefited immensely from Crowton's scheme. The last two schemes Herbert played in did not come close to exploiting his passing ability. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a fair point.

Though perhaps onto a different one to the original thought regarding TS vs. AB.

It may actually be a point answering those who see AB's BC numbers and say, "No way (unless no other  options)" though.

Far from a Boston College expert, but I believe over 2017-2019 they were a pretty run-heavy (two TE), pro-style, play action, drop back vertical passing offense (behind AJ Dillion who rushed for 1600, 1100, and 1700 yards those years, BC appears to have been about 65/35 run versus pass).

It's likely playing in that offense is going to show up in the numbers. The concern with AB at Oregon probably would more be learning/fitting into a more RPO/RO offense (where he seemed fine but not a lot to judge) rather than poise, throwing out of the pocket, seeing the field, comfort with vertical throws.

Edited by AnotherOD
Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking News: This guy still has TWO years of eligibility! (I love Napoleon Dynamite so much that the wife and I stopped in Preston, Idaho on the way home from Denver, went to Napoleon's high school, the place where the tether ball scenes were filmed, and ate lunch at the restaurant where Kip and LaFawnduh made eyes at each other. Yes, I am that big of a film nerd.)

EttFK3Z.gif

Edited by Duckpop22
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Duckpop, but I think I like the girl better....

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Sorry Duckpop, but I think I like the girl better....

...but we do sincerely appreciate the effort....

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Duckpop22 said:

Breaking News: This guy still has TWO years of eligibility! (I love Napoleon Dynamite so much that the wife and I stopped in Preston, Idaho on the way home from Denver, went to Napoleon's high school, the place where the tether ball scenes were filmed, and ate lunch at the restaurant where Kip and LaFawnduh made eyes at each other. Yes, I am that big of a film nerd.)

EttFK3Z.gif

No hitch in Uncle Rico's throwing motion but I am not a fan of his drop mechanics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DeadBogusKingsnake-small.gif

And here, Rico starts under center, recognizes the zone dog, and hits the hot receiver with a dime

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top