FishDuck Article

How Can Oregon Reclaim Its Offensive Identity?

Under Mario Cristobal, Oregon began to lose the identity that put it on the map not too long ago. Speed, innovation, and most importantly, exciting offensive football, are the elements that nearly brought the Ducks to a title in the early 2010s. Cristobal, conversely, championed toughness and physicality — traits that sounded good in theory, but resulted in a bland, ...

Read the full article here...

Edited by Charles Fischer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Mario championed toughness and physicality along with predictability. The toughness and physicality are actually ok, it was the predictability that bothered me. Toughness and physicality redefined might be appropriate, but those traits are an integral part of any football team.

It would seem Lanning wants the physicality to include overpowering with size and strength. Seeing more of that at the line of scrimmage would be a welcome change. I would love to see the opponents running game shut down at the line of scrimmage. Toughness being defined as able to withstand adversity is another element I would like to see. If the team suffers multiple turnovers, or injuries, they need to show the esprit de corps to win every game expected and rise up to do the unexpected.

Repetition on offense may be ok, but execution is critical. We also need to see innovation, the unexpected. One area I am excited about again is special teams. The special teams coach is going to be a huge upgrade. Shutting down the opponents before they start and exploiting transitions in possessions will hopefully be fun again!

Innovation on offense can look like any number of schemes. I just want to see the opponents confused, maybe even in awe again. We need to become must see tv again!

• Thumbs Up 4

The most important change is an offense that plays up-tempo.  The Lanning Dillingham goal of 80 plays a game will make the Ducks “must see TV”.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

SPOT ON. Joshua, you perfectly describe what we witnessed, Mario football destroying the brand that put the Ducks, along with creative marketing like different uniforms for every game, on the map. I was surprised that for time, Phil Knight was on board with giving Mario another pay raise and extension.

Mario claims he was trying to bring 'Alabama football' to Oregon. Apparently he hasn't watched Bama play football since Lane Kiffin was hired to be the Tide's OC? People are going to drive 30 miles north from Coral Gables to watch Mario's brand of grind it out 1 score football games? Good luck.

UGA did not run an Air Raid O but Kirby Smart saw what was happening at Bama and hired Todd Monken to 'modernize' the UGA O. Lanning was on board when Kirby made the change and he hired Dillingham for a reason and portaled-in a QB who played for Gus Malzahn and played against his UGA Ds, for a reason.

I expect a return to more exciting and productive football on O and an O that will not only score more points but also help the D with far fewer 3 and punt series. We may even see the QB position coached up? 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

Mario championed toughness and physicality along with predictability. The toughness and physicality are actually ok, it was the predictability that bothered me. Toughness and physicality redefined might be appropriate, but those traits are an integral part of any football team.

It would seem Lanning wants the physicality to include overpowering with size and strength. Seeing more of that at the line of scrimmage would be a welcome change. I would love to see the opponents running game shut down at the line of scrimmage. Toughness being defined as able to withstand adversity is another element I would like to see. If the team suffers multiple turnovers, or injuries, they need to show the esprit de corps to win every game expected and rise up to do the unexpected.

Repetition on offense may be ok, but execution is critical. We also need to see innovation, the unexpected. One area I am excited about again is special teams. The special teams coach is going to be a huge upgrade. Shutting down the opponents before they start and exploiting transitions in possessions will hopefully be fun again!

Innovation on offense can look like any number of schemes. I just want to see the opponents confused, maybe even in awe again. We need to become must see tv again!

Great take. Shouldn't 'toughness and physicality' result in players showing up for every game? So happy that Mario is MIA.

• Thumbs Up 2

Coach the players on how to play to their fullest potential against some of the top teams in the country, and destroy lesser competition.

• Thumbs Up 2

Drove me nuts watching MCs staff trying to get plays in. The players spent more time looking to the sidelines waiting for a slow reacting coaching staff to get the plays in giving the apposing team plenty of time to set the defense. How long does it take to send in a 2 yard dive play or a pass behind the line of scrimmage that the other team knew was coming any way. Hope those days are over.

And our defense went through the same problem. MCs coaching staff was never ready for the next play and could not see past the line of scrimmage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crush opponents, like Drago pounded Rockie in the first couple rounds... but have the wit, will, and endurance to finish the job.

Speed and using it!

• Thumbs Up 2

I had all day to ponder this article and all the really solid comments. Honestly it is painful to ponder how one coach, one single coach, could undo a near decade of vurtually unstoppable offenses. Nothing was broke, very little needed to be done offensively when MC took over.

IMHO, MC either lacked vision or was completely lacking in his ability to keep up. Perhaps in his need to control everything he simply choked the life out of the Ferrari. He did not know how to handle this amazing, high performance machine. The control freak put a Governor regulator on the throttle. To me it is unfathomable and fricking unforgiveable............

So to the article. How do we get back to our offensive identity? That must watch offense. First the coaching staff must have the desire to want to score lots of points. Don't talk about it just take all restrictions off the throttle. You all remember those 6 play, one minute and eight second scoring drives. A thing of beauty that decimated opposing defenses. An attacking, high speed offense.

Then the damn defense get the ball back to the offense with great field position. Install and teach that attacking defense we saw in the Natty.  Force turnovers.... Improve the special team units. Make them a force to be reckoned with. You know old school football with a heavy dose of thunder and lightning.

Recognize that the Oregon Duck football team got to 2 Nattys by scoring points. Lots of points. Put those scoring teams on the field with a top ten defense and what do you get?

Oregon Ducks first football National Championship. It's about damn time, isnt it?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think your last paragraph is key. Innovation can come in a variety of ways; as long as we're keeping defenses on their toes we're doing our job.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2022 at 10:13 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

The most important change is an offense that plays up-tempo.  The Lanning Dillingham goal of 80 plays a game will make the Ducks “must see TV”.

I am very excited to see us play with tempo again. It's been missing far too long.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

SPOT ON. Joshua, you perfectly describe what we witnessed, Mario football destroying the brand that put the Ducks, along with creative marketing like different uniforms for every game, on the map. I was surprised that for time, Phil Knight was on board with giving Mario another pay raise and extension.

Mario claims he was trying to bring 'Alabama football' to Oregon. Apparently he hasn't watched Bama play football since Lane Kiffin was hired to be the Tide's OC? People are going to drive 30 miles north from Coral Gables to watch Mario's brand of grind it out 1 score football games? Good luck.

UGA did not run an Air Raid O but Kirby Smart saw what was happening at Bama and hired Todd Monken to 'modernize' the UGA O. Lanning was on board when Kirby made the change and he hired Dillingham for a reason and portaled-in a QB who played for Gus Malzahn and played against his UGA Ds, for a reason.

I expect a return to more exciting and productive football on O and an O that will not only score more points but also help the D with far fewer 3 and punt series. We may even see the QB position coached up? 

Spot on to you too, Jon. Yep, Alabama adapted and runs a very modern, creative offense. Hopefully Lanning was taking notes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I had all day to ponder this article and all the really solid comments. Honestly it is painful to ponder how one coach, one single coach, could undo a near decade of vurtually unstoppable offenses. Nothing was broke, very little needed to be done offensively when MC took over.

IMHO, MC either lacked vision or was completely lacking in his ability to keep up. Perhaps in his need to control everything he simply choked the life out of the Ferrari. He did not know how to handle this amazing, high performance machine. The control freak put a Governor regulator on the throttle. To me it is unfathomable and fricking unforgiveable............

So to the article. How do we get back to our offensive identity? That must watch offense. First the coaching staff must have the desire to want to score lots of points. Don't talk about it just take all restrictions off the throttle. You all remember those 6 play, one minute and eight second scoring drives. A thing of beauty that decimated opposing defenses. An attacking, high speed offense.

Then the damn defense get the ball back to the offense with great field position. Install and teach that attacking defense we saw in the Natty.  Force turnovers.... Improve the special team units. Make them a force to be reckoned with. You know old school football with a heavy dose of thunder and lightning.

Recognize that the Oregon Duck football team got to 2 Nattys by scoring points. Lots of points. Put those scoring teams on the field with a top ten defense and what do you get?

Oregon Ducks first football National Championship. It's about damn time, isnt it?

I don't have anything to add, as I agree with this wholeheartedly. I gave Mario a pass for the struggling offense because he recruited so well, but boy did he really set our offense back...

• Thumbs Up 1

We need more and faster offense for sure but what troubled me even more was our on your heels defense. Lanning proved what an attacking defense can do to a very good offense and Heisman winner. If he can generate an attacking defense and get the ball back to the offense the points will come.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/9/2022 at 11:58 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

Spot on to you too, Jon. Yep, Alabama adapted and runs a very modern, creative offense. Hopefully Lanning was taking notes.

Yes, it was ironic that while Oregon was slowing down it's tempo and struggling offensively, some of the traditionally slow and plodding teams (Alabama, Oklahoma and Ohio State for example) stepped it up and have been very successful doing it. Time for Oregon to lead the way again.

• Thumbs Up 4

Stronger faster Ducks with smarter more agile Duck trainers. 44+ Ppg. Scoring from all facets - ST, D, on the ground and through the air. Pedal to the metal intimidators.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alabama also has the best top tier QBs. Also 5 star RB WR TE OL and of course defense.

This also describes UGA tOSU even OK and makes a big difference in comparison with us, the PAC 12 and the other 120 schools in the country. 

I know a lot of you think we didn't score because of MC. Although I will stipulate some of the criticism is founded, IMHO not all of it not by any great measure.

Read what his players have to say. I believe they know more than us fans about what went on with the team this last 4 years, outside of a couple of quitting on the team transfers anyway.

Answer:  Bo Nix , watch his videos!  Stud QB!   As Mike Bellotti says "As the QB goes, so goes the team"

We need a strength coach that will prevent injuries, make em stronger, please!

Edited by DiscoDuck