Charles Fischer

Arlis Boardingham Announcement? NOT Coming to Oregon

The other sites have made it clear in recent days that Arlis Boardingham will be announcing for Florida later today. It comes down to so few scholarships left and the needs being greater elsewhere for any remaining signees or portal transfers.

I was going to provide a link to his announcement, but it is a forgone conclusion since the Oregon coaches have been slow-playing Boardingham, and while he wanted to commit to the Ducks...time has run out.

Arlis Boardingham plays big role as Birmingham wins City Section Open  Division

Mr. FishDuck

Does Oregon have any remaining scholarships for the 2022 cycle?

None that I'm aware of unless someone transfers out.

I really wish there was room for a 6'5 220 receiver on the roster. 

Any exceptions made for holding scholarships is room for Connelly in March or an attractive transfer.

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, Chuck Duck said:

Does Oregon have any remaining scholarships for the 2022 cycle?

No.. unless players start leaving. 

The problem isn't the 25 scholarship counters for the 2022 cycle (we can actually use 26 this year) but the bigger problem is the typical 85 scholarship cap (this is slightly higher due to covid stuff) but it is that max scholarship roof that is keeping this class down. 

So if more players leave that opens up a scholarship from the max total which then can be filled by a 2022 scholarship available. 

On 2/9/2022 at 12:03 PM, David Marsh said:

The problem isn't the 25 scholarship counters for the 2022 cycle (we can actually use 26 this year) but the bigger problem is the typical 85 scholarship cap (this is slightly higher due to covid stuff) but it is that max scholarship roof that is keeping this class down. 

So if more players leave that opens up a scholarship from the max total which then can be filled by a 2022 scholarship available. 

Pardon my ignorance but where does one go to find these kind of numbers for any school?

On 2/9/2022 at 2:03 PM, David Marsh said:

Does the 2022 roster expansion to 92 allow for an opening(s?) Oregon I believe, can replace players who portaled out?

The SEC has been perfecting pay-for-play for decades. Guys like Bruce Pearl and the LSU basketball coach are still coaching in the SEC. (As is Herm in the Pac-12.) If Auburn fires Harsin, Ole Miss pay-for-play Hugh Freeze will likely be back in the SEC?

And UW got screwed over for Billy Joe getting $50K and SC for Reggie's folks getting free rent.

As far as I'm concerned non-AAU member ASU, Herm, the ASU AD and prez Michael Crow could all go and I would not give a whip. The Pac-12, B1G and perhaps the ACC, need to make a stand. Combine to, within the law, control CFB pay-for-play, free agency, APR and the ridiculous spiral in coaching and administrative costs of big time sports. Start with saying goodbye to the so-called CFB Playoff and hold their own post season CFB tournament. Will a lot of the better players go to the SEC? This is already happening.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Does the 2022 roster expansion to 92 allow for an opening(s?) Oregon I believe, can replace players who portaled out?

Abbreviated version from NCAA website, dated October 6, 2021

The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term...

The waiver addresses concerns about potentially high numbers of college athletes transferring after all student-athletes were given the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring for the first time. It will apply at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, which is the first day of the early National Letter of Intent signing period)...

The waiver is effective immediately for the 2022-23 academic year only. The overall scholarship limit remains at 85 for the FBS and FCS. And, in the FCS, the limit of 63 scholarship equivalencies also remains in place.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-10-06/di-council-approves-one-year-waiver-football-scholarship-limits

• Thanks 2

The NCAA created this when they granted an additional freshman year. The 6 additional spots is a joke of a compensation. I understand the reasoning, but I wonder of the ripple effect to high school players and if it is limiting their opportunity, my gut feel is it did and does.

Everything is going to workout. We already have good TE/Wings to play for the next several years. You can't win them all. Good luck to the young man for finding the right fit himself and family.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well let's have a great spring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would've been nice to have him join Oregon, his size would present all sorts of issues for defenses as a receiver.  That being said, WR/TE is less of a concern right now than other areas of need or higher ranked possibilities like Connerly.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

So how many open scholarships remain for next season? I think we could have used Arlis B given that we lost at least 4 WR (2 seniors Devon and Micah) and signed 1. The fast local kid.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, JohninChicago said:

So how many open scholarships remain for next season?

Not sure, but it is tight and we're gonna have to trust the coaches.  They have to leave one for Conley should he choose the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calculating how many open scholarships remain seems to be similar to...

dangerfield.gif

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Haha 2

On 2/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, JohninChicago said:

So how many open scholarships remain for next season? I think we could have used Arlis B given that we lost at least 4 WR (2 seniors Devon and Micah) and signed 1. The fast local kid.

All 85 scholarships are awarded.  A player would have to be dropped or portal out to open a spot.

There are medical retirement options as well.

• Thanks 1

Not sure of the accuracy, but here is a site that tracks roster.  See the scholarship summary 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Based on that data if seven stars as a wr rather than rb then we have 8 receivers and 4-5 tight ends. 

I also read Chad cota may transfer in. 

85 on scholarship and 9 seniors means Oregon needs to develop the players on the roster. I also counted 30 freshman and 30 sophomores. I realize there are quite a few redshirt guys and some who will leave for the NFL, but Oregon is a team without a lot of wiggle room for recruiting over the next couple years without transfer outs. Lanning has an interesting job going forward with his recruiting, development and really management of the roster he inherited.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:13 AM, Viking Duck said:

Calculating how many open scholarships remain seems to be similar to...

dangerfield.gif

'The answer is, FOUR?'

• Haha 1

Well played. Funny movie.  Watched back to school the other day when there was no football and cold outside 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, JohninChicago said:

Well played. Funny movie.  Watched back to school the other day when there was no football and cold outside 

I'd love to go back to school but I'm out of eligibility and can't afford the tuition.

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'd love to go back to school but I'm out of eligibility and can't afford the tuition.

Aren't you in South Carolina? All states have college available for free for seniors. I actually enjoy taking Coursera courses occasionally. It is great to keep the grey matter stretching and flexing. Mine isn't an eligibility problem just ability.

41. South Carolina

Residents 60 and above can attend classes at state schools on a credit or noncredit basis, pending space available, for free. The school must grant admission via its normal procedures.

Technology, lab and other fees are the responsibility of the student. Many South Carolina community colleges offer online courses for those interested.

The 3 years as a freshman creates the classic pig in a python. 6- year seniors?