30Duck

Oregon Loves Mario Compared to how Oklahoma Feels about Riley

Have to say I believe Riley was far dirty to OU than Mario was to UO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed 100%. Even tho a lot of you don't like MC he was nothing like Riley. He did not do anything but leave us in a position of strength not weakness. He got to go home and get out of Dodge where the natives were on the warpath. Win Win

Can't wait to see the Ducks in spring training. There we will see a team that has to get a bad taste out of their mouth. I believe we are going to be really good in 2022.

Go Ducks Fly High

• Thumbs Up 4

Mario leaving Oregon had at least one good reason that wasn't money. Get back home where he has family and an aging mother. I can respect that part of his decision. 

Riley left for the money and probably to get into an easier conference before Oklahoma moves to the SEC where his jobs gets super difficult. 

I also heard some were that Riley may have some NFL aspirations and LA is a better media market for that and also getting beat up in the SEC doesn't make that goal as easy in the end.

I can certainly see why they are upset. 

Also at Oregon we really feel we upgraded our entire staff. 

Pretty sure Oklahoma doesn't feel that way. They probably feel like they have a good staff but not an upgrade. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/9/2022 at 4:56 PM, David Marsh said:

Mario leaving Oregon had at least one good reason that wasn't money. Get back home where he has family and an aging mother. I can respect that part of his decision. 

Riley left for the money and probably to get into an easier conference before Oklahoma moves to the SEC where his jobs gets super difficult. 

Also, Riley flat out lied to media and recruits the previous day....... Much like Willie Taggart did on his departure..

Mario may have avoided answering questions. But, he did not lie. Huge difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, DUCati855 said:

Mario may have avoided answering questions. But, he did not lie. Huge difference.

My perspective on what he represented to us in his introductory press conference and what he and I discussed for 20 minutes thereafter--compared to what we got?  

It is an omission that turns into a deception of which is also called a.........

• Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

Agreed 100%. Even tho a lot of you don't like MC he was nothing like Riley. He did not do anything but leave us in a position of strength not weakness. He got to go home and get out of Dodge where the natives were on the warpath. Win Win

Can't wait to see the Ducks in spring training. There we will see a team that has to get a bad taste out of their mouth. I believe we are going to be really good in 2022.

Go Ducks Fly High

Great recruiter-glad he is gone, better for us and better for him and a lot worse for the Fuskies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon has lost coaches a number of ways. A coach leaving Oklahoma for the Pac-12? That will inspire hatred.

One thing I have heard that I believe is that when the OK AD, Joe Castiglione, was in discussion with SEC commissioner Greg Sankey about moving to the SEC he never discussed the move with Riley prior to it being a done deal. Riley felt, like Bob Bowlsby felt, that OK joining the SEC was done behind his back. He felt like he was disrespected and no longer felt like a true member of the leadership at Oklahoma.

There is no easy way for a HC leaving for another job to exit gracefully.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 2/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon has lost coaches a number of ways. A coach leaving Oklahoma for the Pac-12? That will inspire hatred.

One thing I have heard that I believe is that when the OK AD, Joe Castiglione, was in discussion with SEC commissioner Greg Sankey about moving to the SEC he never discussed the move with Riley prior to it being a done deal. Riley felt, like Bob Bowlsby felt, that OK joining the SEC was done behind his back. He felt like he was disrespected and no longer felt like a true member of the leadership at Oklahoma.

There is no easy way for a HC leaving for another job to exit gracefully.

IMO OK leaving for the SEC was a big mistake-they will pay dearly--Texas? I dont give a ---t about Texas, the Longhorns are decades away from being a contender in the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

As big time college football slides down that slippery slope towards minor league professional football, I think that feeling disrespected by coaches or players jumping to what they feel is a better deal will become less of an emotional thing for fans. It's just inevitable.

One of the reasons growing up that I liked college sports more than pro sports was that sense that it was more about passion and love for the place and sport than money.

This ideal has not been true for quite a while for the ones making all the money (coaches and universities), and with the NIL it's going to be less and less true for the ones earning the money (players.)

As much as I am going to miss the good old days, if I were an 18 year old top football prospect, the hypocrisy of the traditional system would irk me. I'm old enough to vote, join the military, get a job, and start a family, but I am barred from playing professional football because I am "just a kid?"

If the NFL had a valid feeder system outside of college football, that would be one thing. But there is not, so if you want to get drafted and maximize your potential, go work for room, board, and tuition for some college which will make tens or hundreds of thousands off of each year of your work.

The NFL ducked the responsibility of creating a valid feeder system; money had a huge amount to do with it, since college football is so profitable.

So in the end, if a coach wants to leave to a situation he likes better, or a player, more power to them. It does not mean I'll root for their new team, but I don't begrudge them doing it.

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure there's lots of inside stuff with both Riley and MC to which we as fans have no visibility.  To the typical fan, it's basically this:

MC left to go home and coach his alma mater.

Riley left because he was afraid of coaching in the SEC and/or he jumped at a bigger market/paycheck.

Essentially, it's "Honey, I'm breaking up with you because I'm moving across the country to go home" versus "Honey, I'm breaking up with you because this other person over here is better looking and has more money - see ya."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, Viking Duck said:

As big time college football slides down that slippery slope towards minor league professional football, I think that feeling disrespected by coaches or players jumping to what they feel is a better deal will become less of an emotional thing for fans. It's just inevitable.

One of the reasons growing up that I liked college sports more than pro sports was that sense that it was more about passion and love for the place and sport than money.

This ideal has not been true for quite a while for the ones making all the money (coaches and universities), and with the NIL it's going to be less and less true for the ones earning the money (players.)

As much as I am going to miss the good old days, if I were an 18 year old top football prospect, the hypocrisy of the traditional system would irk me. I'm old enough to vote, join the military, get a job, and start a family, but I am barred from playing professional football because I am "just a kid?"

If the NFL had a valid feeder system outside of college football, that would be one thing. But there is not, so if you want to get drafted and maximize your potential, go work for room, board, and tuition for some college which will make tens or hundreds of thousands off of each year of your work.

The NFL ducked the responsibility of creating a valid feeder system; money had a huge amount to do with it, since college football is so profitable.

So in the end, if a coach wants to leave to a situation he likes better, or a player, more power to them. It does not mean I'll root for their new team, but I don't begrudge them doing it.

Great take!

Only place I quibble; how many kids right out of high school are capable of making an NFL roster? I do not see the '3 years out of high school rule' as discriminating against but possibly a handful of players. Especially with NIL now in place. Star players in CFB today are likely making more money than the guys on NFL practice squads.

The 32 NFL owners are very smart business people, With the possibility that college athletes on scholarship in revenue sports will be classified as 'employees,' which is certain to radically change CFB, I think the NFL is likely looking into forming its own minor league. The NFL has been a CFB development free rider for decades and the time is coming when, like MLB, it will have to form its own minor league. There needs to be a place where football players can develop in all respects, including most importantly physically, from graduating high school to playing in the NFL. 

The more I consider where CFB is headed, the more I ponder whether the NFL needs a college super-league fronting as a minor league development system? The NFL can draft players out of high school. Rosters will be the size of NFL and not college, rosters. Players will become members of the NFL Players Union. Paid to play. No unrestricted 'portal free agency.' No admissions requirements and no APR progress to worry about. The needed facilities already exist. And coaches will be paid reasonable salaries, no where close to millions of dollars a year. As popular as big time CFB? No. But plenty of folks do watch minor league baseball. The G League is trending as an alternative to college before playing in the NBA and I see the same happening with the NFL.

I agree with you regarding CFB or any other college coaches making a move. Like in business everywhere, if someone offers you bigger money either your existing employer steps up or you move on. CFB is a big business that is at the P5/G5 level, rapidly losing any vestige of 'amateur' athletics. Players become 'employees' and hello 'Ivy League Ball' for many the school. And so long to many the sport at schools not as well endowed as are the Ivy League schools.

I think the players suing for 'employee' status are getting terrible advice. The majority will not play in the NFL and thousands of young people will lose their college 'free ride.'

On 2/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The 32 NFL owners are very smart business people, With the possibility that college athletes on scholarship in revenue sports will be classified as 'employees,' which is certain to radically change CFB, I think the NFL is likely looking into forming its own minor league. The NFL has been a CFB development free rider for decades and the time is coming when, like MLB, it will have to form its own minor league. There needs to be a place where football players can develop in all respects, including most importantly physically, from graduating high school to playing in the NFL.

Thanks Jon, and I think that it's not so much a quibble since I actually agree with you. I would feel that way as an 18 year old, but for the vast majority of players at that age having a structured place to develop their skills is needed. Probably I didn't express that well.

The hypocrisy has been that they have always been expected to do it by earning millions for college sports without receiving anything near a fair return for their efforts. And especially true for the ones who do not make it to the NFL.

I'm sure that it's going to be chaotic as this really fundamental legal change plays out, but hopefully the NFL does as you say and creates another (paid) developmental route for players, rather than forcing them all into the college football system. Having played football myself, I reject the notion that football players are dumb; but, not every high school graduate is best served by being told going to college is the only measure of success in life.

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Living in Texas, I have a bit of a different take on Riley than many on the West Coast.

Riley won a ton of games at Oklahoma at the perfect time (Texas, K-State and Tech were diminished during Riley's tenure), but was somewhat similar to Cristobal.

Riley recruited top flight talent and yet barely won games against mediocre talent.  Friends of mine who went to Oklahoma felt the program was slipping, despite the impressive win totals.

Pull up Oklahoma's schedule over the past three years and look at the number of very close games against teams with mediocre or just above average recruiting classes.

This is no Pete Carroll-not even close.

He did not dominate the Conference the way Bob Stoops did, just beating the daylights out of everyone.  Rather, he took the best talent in the Conference and frankly seemed to just get by against teams that were not even close to Oklahoma in talent.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

SWD1...you are new and this is information, a perspective, we have not heard and really needed as Oregon fans.  THANK YOU.  Please do post often, and WELCOME!

Great stuff--thanks again.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, SWD1 said:

Living in Texas, I have a bit of a different take on Riley than many on the West Coast.

Riley won a ton of games at Oklahoma at the perfect time (Texas, K-State and Tech were diminished during Riley's tenure), but was somewhat similar to Cristobal.

Riley recruited top flight talent and yet barely won games against mediocre talent.  Friends of mine who went to Oklahoma felt the program was slipping, despite the impressive win totals.

Pull up Oklahoma's schedule over the past three years and look at the number of very close games against teams with mediocre or just above average recruiting classes.

This is no Pete Carroll-not even close.

He did not dominate the Conference the way Bob Stoops did, just beating the daylights out of everyone.  Rather, he took the best talent in the Conference and frankly seemed to just get by against teams that were not even close to Oklahoma in talent.

Great take and it is so good to have you on the forum and bringing another POV from 'football mad' Texas.

I believe and the rankings at year end help me in this belief, that Riley was facing better top to bottom competition in the B12 than he will see in the Pac-12. (I also note that Big Game Bob was not so Big Game at the end of his tenure at OK. This of course does not include this year's out of retirement Alamo Bowl game.) The B-12 in 2021 finished at 5-2 with the best bowl record of the P5. 2 of these wins came in NY6 bowls.

Is Riley Nick Saban? Heck No! But he is the only active coach in the Pac-12 to take his team to the playoff and he did it not once but thrice. Under his leadership he recruited very well to Oklahoma, a school located in a state that does not produce all that many top drawer recruits. He often beat out A+M and Texas for top recruits from the Lone Star state. He has already worked the portal on the O side of the ball to perfection, has some top drawer guys 'committed' for the 2023 class and is now smack dab in the middle of great recruiting territory. I note that Saban wasn't all that before he came south to coach at LSU.

I agree with you that it is senseless to overrate the guy. But I think until proven otherwise, at SC he should be viewed as being the HC at a very serious annual competitor for the conference title, and also having a legit shot at the final 4. SC's OOC slate lightens up in 2022 going forward. Beat ND and he, with the possible exception of Oregon, will have a better roster than any opponent he faces in and out of conference. Does the D need help? Heck yes. But he isn't playing in a conference where  he will need last season's UGA D to be competitive on that side of the ball.

Again, thanks for the great take.

How do you get a former University of Miami
football player off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza 
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:54 PM, Mudslide said:
How do you get a former University of Miami
football player off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza 

Huh? This must have went over my head.

@Duck 1972 the only reason a miami player would be on your porch is bc he’s delivering your pizza. 

On 2/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Huh? This must have went over my head.

"The U...future proofing education."

• Haha 1

And since we're also talking about Oklahoma and why Riley left...here is a trope, oddly told to me by my cardiologist, a guy who trained under the famous Dr. Michael DeBakey at Baylor University.  🙂

Do you know why Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf of Mexico?

-- Because Oklahoma sucks.

• Haha 2