1Funduck

Have You Noticed that Mario Cristobal isn't the Head Coach at Oregon Anymore?

It sure seems like a lot of people have a negative view towards MC leaving. 

I would like to say that I loved MC for his recruiting ability. We have Never had such talent on our roster. 3+ years of recruiting has set up this current coaching staff with enough pieces to make a power run for the PAC this year. That's Good. Thank you, MC for that. With that said, I have never liked the offensive schemes. I groused a ton over QB play. Development issues? Roster issues? Who is to say. But, one thing is for sure, something was wrong with our offense. That's coaching pure and simple. 

So, I don't wish MC any ill will, I wish him all the best. Thank you for bringing high quality recruits to Eugene. Thank you for 2 PAC championships. Thank you for top 10 recruiting rankings. Thank you for dignity and honor among the team. I don't blame you for trying to keep the cards close to the vest in your opportunity to go home to Miami. We all would do it. We may not like how it unfolded, but what would you have him do? Take the job before the season was over? Refuse the call from the 'U'? 

Thanks for the memories MC.

And....Welcome Coach Dan Lanning!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:34 AM, 1Funduck said:

We all would do it. We may not like how it unfolded, but what would you have him do? 

Let me count the ways he could have done it differently, but agree thanks for the memories and the cash payout! Welcome Head Coach Dan Lanning, leader of the Oregon Football Program.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone loved how Mario could bring in top end talent but loathed how he developed/utilized it.  

Plus it's weeks until the Spring game and months until the start of next season so we're all going to be looking at recent history given the dearth of Duck news for the foreseeable future.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, 1Funduck said:

It sure seems like a lot of people have a negative view towards MC leaving. 

I would like to say that I loved MC for his recruiting ability. We have Never had such talent on our roster. 3+ years of recruiting has set up this current coaching staff with enough pieces to make a power run for the PAC this year. That's Good. Thank you, MC for that. With that said, I have never liked the offensive schemes. I groused a ton over QB play. Development issues? Roster issues? Who is to say. But, one thing is for sure, something was wrong with our offense. That's coaching pure and simple. 

So, I don't wish MC any ill will, I wish him all the best. Thank you for bringing high quality recruits to Eugene. Thank you for 2 PAC championships. Thank you for top 10 recruiting rankings. Thank you for dignity and honor among the team. I don't blame you for trying to keep the cards close to the vest in your opportunity to go home to Miami. We all would do it. We may not like how it unfolded, but what would you have him do? Take the job before the season was over? Refuse the call from the 'U'? 

You can have all the best ingredients in your kitchen but without the right chef? I have a very POSITIVE view regarding Mario leaving. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Unfortunately, some of those memories is not delivering what was promised.

So yes, onward and upward (for Oregon at least).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the memories MC

This reflects my sentiment as well.  I was not a huge fan of the product on the field during MC's tenure.  But, I certainly appreciate the results in the past three seasons.  Two conference championships, two ten win seasons, and a Rose Bowl victory.  Most programs would kill for those results.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It seems that during the tenures of Brooks, Bellotti and Kelly Oregon majored on doing their homework and getting recruits that had a great up side and then developed them to perform well beyond their star ratings. Combine that with innovation, great facilities... and Oregon grew itself into a national power and gained fans all over the country, like me. 

MC had high rated recruits but didn't develop them as well and was not innovative in approach.

Can we combine those now? Great recruits, developed well and with an innovative system that allows them to thrive would be so much fun to watch unfold!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

Let me count the ways he could have done it differently

I am genuinely curious to see these. I've thought that both sides are in difficult positions to handle a coach leaving amicably. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, OhioDuck said:

It seems that during the tenures of Brooks, Bellotti and Kelly Oregon majored on doing their homework and getting recruits that had a great up side and then developed them to perform well beyond their star ratings. Combine that with innovation, great facilities... and Oregon grew itself into a national power and gained fans all over the country, like me. 

MC had high rated recruits but didn't develop them as well and was not innovative in approach.

Can we combine those now? Great recruits, developed well and with an innovative system that allows them to thrive would be so much fun to watch unfold!

RIGHT ON!! (Pardon me for screaming, but your comments got me excited. I wholeheartedly agree.)

• Thumbs Up 1

MC made Dan Lanning's job much easier. He showed all of college football that Oregon is a place for the very best players. Lanning needs to build on that.

The rest about MC was less than desirable.  This new staff has that IT factor the last staff possessed X10. Give them a full recruiting cycle and the last Coach will be long forgotten. Willie who...err... Mario who?

Lanning has proven he can develop defensive talent as DC of Georgia. He has the intelligence, passion and competitiveness needed to take Oregon to the top. As everyone is Falling all over themselves about Riley (pfft), Lanning is building a monster in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/10/2022 at 3:34 PM, 30Duck said:

I am genuinely curious to see these. I've thought that both sides are in difficult positions to handle a coach leaving amicably. 

First off you either coach or leave. When you just send it in at the end of the season it doesn't do anyone any good. The last game against Utah was pathetic. The team wasn't prepared and he was checked out already, so just leave and let someone else coach. It was at least the perfect opportunity for Mario to show he could delegate, but he didn't. Chip Kelley sent $439 to a fan after the Boise State game because of the poor performance. Mario should have paid the expenses of every fan who went to the Utah game.

Second don't recruit while you are on Oregon's dime and leaving to go to another school. Miami's #1 commit, was Oregon's top recruit, was visited while he was supposedly Oregon's coach. Step away while you are transitioning to the new position. I am also proud that the contract offer was pulled from Mario. It was a privilege, and an honor to have the opportunity to coach at Oregon, and when he flinched, it was over.

I am over it, but there were more ways he could have made the ending more amicable, in my view, but agree, it was a difficult situation. He did better than the last guy. I am also grateful for the fact that he did leave and it worked out, once again, very well for Oregon. Onward, forward, and never look back!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:18 PM, WiseKwacker said:

RIGHT ON!! (Pardon me for screaming, but your comments got me excited. I wholeheartedly agree.)

The possibilities of what can happen with this coaching staff in this program the next few years are exciting to me too! There is a chance of capturing the best of all worlds. I think this coaching staff is poised to do just that! Of course we haven't even seen the first Spring Game yet, but right now the signs are pointing in a great direction. I can't wait! I'm beginning to work on plans of visiting friends in Portland next fall and actually get down and experience a game at Autzen! Problem is most of my friends in Portland are Oregon State (and even a few UW) fans. 

Edited by OhioDuck
  • Thanks 1

Cristobol was given a golden opportunity by Oregon that no one else was going to provide him.  He was an excellent recruiter and a below average game day coach, but the results were pretty impressive, including going undefeated against the Huskies and USC and getting that big win at Ohio State.

I liked him as a person, but was personally pleased when he decided to move on.  His offense was cringeworthy and he clearly underutilized Herbert and Brown, failing to take advantage of their skills. 

I hope he does well in Miami and am excited by what I am seeing from Lanning so far.  

He did a good job, going toe to toe with USC and won the recruiting battle for the kids out of high school.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, SWD1 said:

the results were pretty impressive, including going undefeated against the Huskies and USC and getting that big win at Ohio State.

Heck, hasn't Montana gone undefeated against the Huskies recently?

I guess I don't want to focus backward, but forward.  Yeah, MC did great recruiting and mediocre (at best) on many game days.  Yeah, he left the Ducks.  Yeah, there are probably ways it could have been done better, but I don't think a coach has ever left where the fan base felt it was done well.  Yeah, the timing was awful for us.  

And yeah, we have a new coach and MC is literally almost as far away from Eugene as he could get.  So I'm not going to continue to dwell on the previous coaching regime, what they did right, what they did poorly, or wish him failure or success at Miami.  To me, he's just like any of the players who willingly transferred out or who got kicked off the team:  buh-bye, thanks for what you did when you were here, now you're an ex-Duck and no longer on my radar.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, OhioDuck said:

The possibilities of what can happen with this coaching staff in this program the next few years are exciting to me too! There is a chance of capturing the best of all worlds. I think this coaching staff is poised to do just that! Of course we haven't even seen the first Spring Game yet, but right now the signs are pointing in a great direction. I can't wait! I'm beginning to work on plans of visiting friends in Portland next fall and actually get down and experience a game at Autzen! Problem is most of my friends in Portland are Oregon State (and even a few UW) fans. 

You need better friends! Kidding. Most of my golfing buddies here is Dixie are Bama, Clemson, UGA and USC east fans. Fortunately Duck buddy Brent Pennington is only a couple of hours away. Lots of folks down this way believe it is still the Pac-10 and not 12; if the believe anything at all about Left Coast CFB. Be thankful that having exited Ohio, the 'late' games kickoff at 7:30 and not 10:30.

BTW: Great post.