Charles Fischer

Five Star AND His Brother (Lebbeus and Micaiah Overton) Visit in March

So now there is a transfer too? Quite a package deal that would be!  (Maybe this is why some scholarships are held back?)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Open the Overton window wide!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

How much salary cap room does ATM have left to pay players?  

Edited by DCDuckfan
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

426270520_Howmuchleft.thumb.jpg.b4ab0da267636e9099f73970b5fc2890.jpg

• Haha 2

I wonder if the brother is expecting a scholarship?  Looking at the Liberty Flames site he hasn't recorded a stat in his three years on the team.  No information if he got in a game last season but he didn't play during his first two years (one redshirt).

Can always use yellow iron road graders,  And bull dozers. Keep this up we may have a ton of fun along the line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:39 AM, McDuck said:

I wonder if the brother is expecting a scholarship?  Looking at the Liberty Flames site he hasn't recorded a stat in his three years on the team.  No information if he got in a game last season but he didn't play during his first two years (one redshirt).

A good enough NIL deal may be able to pay his tuition to stay on the roster as a Preferred Walk On, plus room and board, and some "leisure funds"?

On 2/11/2022 at 7:06 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

A good enough NIL deal may be able to pay his tuition to stay on the roster as a Preferred Walk On, plus room and board, and some "leisure funds"?

Perhaps, but that kind of preferential treatment could easily lead to a totally dysfunctional team.  Out of state tuition and fees is slightly more than $40,000.  Add in books and the other expenses you mentioned suddenly it is over $75,000 for a warm body that, based on his career to date, probably won't see the field. 

Feels like the good-looking brother or sister dragging along the ugly sibling on a double date. Might, but usually doesn’t works.

• Haha 2

I suspect the leverage that a highly recruited player will have on accommodations for family members will be strong.

Schools may benefit from a booster controlled non-profit foundation to supplement scholarships and living expenses.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, McDuck said:

Perhaps, but that kind of preferential treatment could easily lead to a totally dysfunctional team.  Out of state tuition and fees is slightly more than $40,000.  Add in books and the other expenses you mentioned suddenly it is over $75,000 for a warm body that, based on his career to date, probably won't see the field. 

1 reason BYU is being looked at for NIL hanky-panky, besides the fact that it isn't an SEC school,  is that a Cougars booster via NIL has offered to pay the full cost of education for every BYU walk on. This ploy was mentioned early on by Nick Saban as a possible way to exceed the scholarship cap.

This troubles the NCAA. A Miami booster paying every guy on the roster $6.000 a year and TX paying every OL guys $50,000 a year? Nothing to see here, move right along.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting move with limited scholarships available.  They got the older brother of 2024 #1 edge Elijah Rushing to walk on.  Is Lebbeus Overton really worth two full rides?

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/oregon-offers-liberty-transfer-dl-micaiah-overton

You have to be creative to compete these days. Is there a girlfriend that would like to be a cheerleader?

• Haha 2

Where does creativity start and the integrity of the program end. Do you recruit the girlfriend, best friend, brother, high school teammate, dad as a coach, high school coach as a coach, tell him he can play on the basketball team, choose the uniform, hold a uniform number celebration on his arrival, houses, cars, money, or just name a shoe after him? I ask which of these haven't been tried? When does a package deal begin to smell?

• Like 1

Awww, just let his landlord swap rent for ticket comps... Oops, done that, too!

Looks like the brother has been offered...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

He's a big body that can be a back up on defense. I don't believe as a transfer he would effect 85 scholarship number. If this helps get a 5* OL to come it sounds pretty smart to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:30 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I don't believe as a transfer he would effect 85 scholarship number.

It does.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:51 PM, McDuck said:

It does.

I thought you could bring in transfer a by up to 7 if that amount transfers out. At my count we are at 6 or 7 out only 4 in.

Copy of my post in another thread

Abbreviated version from NCAA website, dated October 6, 2021

The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term...

The waiver addresses concerns about potentially high numbers of college athletes transferring after all student-athletes were given the opportunity to compete immediately after transferring for the first time. It will apply at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, which is the first day of the early National Letter of Intent signing period)...

The waiver is effective immediately for the 2022-23 academic year only. The overall scholarship limit remains at 85 for the FBS and FCS. And, in the FCS, the limit of 63 scholarship equivalencies also remains in place.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-10-06/di-council-approves-one-year-waiver-football-scholarship-limits

• Thanks 1

Here's a coach O story about the lengths programs go to try to get 5* prospects. I have never heard of this kind of effort.

Get out of jail card, I mean move to a different jail.

Not a person with any inside knowledge but I bet there are a few here that do have some intel.  My question is I see Josh Connerly 5* tackle and Lebbeus Overton 5* defensive tackle are both unsigned planning on signing in the near future, both have Oregon listed as a finalist, do we really have a shot with either of these guys?  I know Lebbeus is a package deal with his transfer portal brother.  I suspect that if either do actually want to be ducks that we will make room  for them some how.   Any thoughts on this?

50/50 at best for Connerly, and a very low probability for Overton; just my guess.

Mr. FishDuck