Darren Perkins

UCLA DC Hire: Chip Still Doesn't Get It

In the hiring of his new DC, Bill McGovern (linbabackers coach for Chip in Philly), Chip just swapped out one of his old crony friends for another. A massively uninspiring hire by Kelly, but did we really expect anything else?

Chip needed to at least try to make some sort of a "splash" hire, perhaps bring in a youthful up and comer who could inject some energy into the program and relate well to players, which could/would help recruiting. But, nah.  

Having said that, I could be totally wrong, I don't know much about McGrovern and could turn out to be a great hire, but given Chip's overall handling of the program to date, I have some serious doubts.

• Thumbs Up 2

He came cheap.  From Bruin Report Online

Sources are indicating McGovern has agreed to a two-year contract worth about $900,000 over two years, or $450,000 annually. Outgoing defensive coordinator Jerry Azzinaro was paid $750,000 in 2021. 

THIS does not help Chip's cause. All conference DE Mitchell Agude has entered the transfer portal. Lots of significant losses on both sides of the ball for the Bruins. 

The worst 8 team win school in the country in 2021? In 2021, UCLA did not post a victory against a team with a winning record

On 2/18/2022 at 9:16 AM, Darren Perkins said:

In the hiring of his new DC, Bill McGovern (linbabackers coach for Chip in Philly), Chip just swapped out one of his old crony friends for another. A massively uninspiring hire by Kelly, but did we really expect anything else?

Only goes to prove that so much of Kelly's success at Oregon came from his offensive brilliance but more importantly it came with him inheriting a coaching staff that were solid recruiters and coaches.

• Thumbs Up 3

David, so spot on. Compare Kelly's situation in his first season as HC of the Ducks with that of Dan Lanning. Kelly was handed the keys to a luxury vehicle while Dan has to build from the ground up.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, McDuck said:

He came cheap.  From Bruin Report Online

Sources are indicating McGovern has agreed to a two-year contract worth about $900,000 over two years, or $450,000 annually. Outgoing defensive coordinator Jerry Azzinaro was paid $750,000 in 2021. 

Yeah, this makes it even worse, bargain shopping his way to a Pac-12 title? Good luck, Chip. 

Chip just needs to coach at a lower level where accumulation top talent isn't a necessity. Where he can coach and teach and let his scheme do the winning while not being burdened by recruiting. I mean, he recruits to UCLA as if they were located in Pullman and not in the middle of a recruiting hotbed.  You don't need look for diamonds in the rough in LA, but that's what he looks for.

Maybe he''ll finish his career in a place like New Hampshire, or, maybe even New Hampshire. And, there's no shame in this, it's just who he is. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is something I wrote about when Chip left.....that he did not realize how good the staff was he fell-into, and he has shown NOT be good at hiring assistant coaches.  It was OK to give Azz the chance to be DC, but once it was not working...a "Pellum" type of downgrade needed to happen and he would not do it.

Mora actually had a pretty good staff there before...  (Which included Adrian Klemm)  

A skill of massive importance is being to recognize, attract and hire great assistant coaches; Mario was pretty good at it, but it looks like Lanning is GREAT at it.  Whew!  What an important element to success!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Some programs are leading the way for the Pac-12 to make more money with the next tv contract. Some programs are waiting until the money is in hand and they pay off some debts. UCLA is firmly in the camp of waiting to see the money before they put any more cash towards football. It isn't the haves and have nots, it is the will spend and those who won't.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, Haywarduck said:

Some programs are leading the way for the Pac-12 to make more money with the next tv contract. Some programs are waiting until the money is in hand and they pay off some debts. UCLA is firmly in the camp of waiting to see the money before they put any more cash towards football. It isn't the haves and have nots, it is the will spend and those who won't.

It does tick me off that Oregon and SC that spend far more money on CFB than do the majority of the Pac-12 get an equal piece of the pie with WSU, CU and OSU, etc. The UCLA athletic department is $60M in the red. 

Guest willville

Grew up a Bruin fan. They are done.  A soft 8-4 season in ‘21, they should win at least 8 next year. Non-conference includes Bowling Green, Alabama State and South Alabama. They had Michigan on the schedule but UM backed out. 

2023 they will really have nothing left. Lots grad losses and horrible recruiting except at QB where Justin Martin is a blue chip recruit. 

After 2022 Chip should be a .500 coach or a bit better for his time at UCLA and I see him leaving. 

That is about as on top as he can be. 

I feel bad for the Bruins but not that bad. 

We are lucky to have Lanning. Yes the Ducks are going to win the conference next year!  They are better than USC. 

Quack!

Back in the 60's UCLA had a super booster, Sam Gilbert. Those days are gone. At Oregon, Kelly was at a school with a concerted effort to win. At UCLA, particularly in football, antipathy would be a step up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see 1 more year before I make any conclusions about Chip. This McGovern guy did coach in the pros so that's something.

Also being 60k in the hole is a situation that would be hard to manage by anyone.

He did find a lot of 💎 in the rough while here and everyone says the QB is the key and he's got a good one still playing for him and one in waiting. 

He did turn a corner and had a good season last year. Let's not bury him yet.

It would be nice to see him as a thorn in sc side. If he can keep the 50/50 win record against SC then I will root for him to stay. UCLA is kind of the pullman to the dawg program. The cougs always look to beating the dawgs, and when they do it is a good year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chip found the serendipity of perfect time, perfect place. He had a built in staff of excellent assistant coaches. He had a then novel system on O and the freedom and encouragement to run the system. He had a most underrated DC in Nick A and USC had been mugged by the NCAA. He had the backing of the entire NIKE enterprise and the enthusiasm of Autzen crowds who watched an exciting brand of football put the Ducks on the national map and take the Ducks to a BCS champ game.

Then? Chip, who hated recruiting then and hates it now, went out on his own to the NFL, but only after being dinged by the NCAA and putting Oregon on modest probation. After some modest success in Philly, he fell flat on his face. It was 'in-your-face' in San Francisco with the 49ers.

UCLA looked to recapture the magic. Looking for Chip to return to glory in CFB, like Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban, after not making it in the NFL. Today, UCLA does not have the money and perhaps does not have the interest, to hire a better college football coach; one who can recruit the fertile southern California recruiting ground. The Bruins play in an aging stadium miles from campus, in front of a whole bunch of empty seats. The student section for UCLA 'home games' is basically empty.

CFB is a roster-driven sport. If you do not recruit hard and recruit 24/7, eight wins in a season is likely the zenith, even in a weak conference. As willville noted above, Chip will start 3-0 this season. At least, he better start 3-0 with one of if not the softest P5 OOC schedules in the nation. But UCLA is not a serious contender for conference let alone national titles, and never will be under Chip.

Chip caught a break in 2021, playing a Joe Burrow-less LSU with a HC, Ed Orgeron, who basically checked out after LSU's national title. (When he plays at LSU vs Brian Kelly down the road I think we will see a different result?) He also benefited from USC being dysfunctional under Clay Helton. He posted a 'phantom' 8 win season in 2021, with no wins against a team that finished with a winning record.  He never won a conference title at UCLA and he never will.

Chip caught lightning in a bottle in Eugene, and thought he was Zeus.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Chip found the serendipity of perfect time, perfect place. He had a built in staff of excellent assistant coaches. He had a then novel system on O and the freedom and encouragement to run the system. He had a most underrated DC in Nick A and USC had been mugged by the NCAA. He had the backing of the entire NIKE enterprise and the enthusiasm of Autzen crowds who watched an exciting brand of football put the Ducks on the national map and take the Ducks to a BCS champ game.

Then? Chip, who hated recruiting then and hates it now, went out on his own to the NFL, but only after being dinged by the NCAA and putting Oregon on modest probation. After some modest success in Philly, he fell flat on his face. It was 'in-your-face' in San Francisco with the 49ers.

UCLA looked to recapture the magic. Looking for Chip to return to glory in CFB, like Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban, after not making it in the NFL. Today, UCLA does not have the money and perhaps does not have the interest, to hire a better college football coach; one who can recruit the fertile southern California recruiting ground. The Bruins play in an aging stadium miles from campus, in front of a whole bunch of empty seats. The student section for UCLA 'home games' is basically empty.

CFB is a roster-driven sport. If you do not recruit hard and recruit 24/7, eight wins in a season is likely the zenith, even in a weak conference. As willville noted above, Chip will start 3-0 this season. At least, he better start 3-0 with one of if not the softest P5 OOC schedules in the nation. But UCLA is not a serious contender for conference let alone national titles, and never will be under Chip.

Chip caught a break in 2021, playing a Joe Burrow-less LSU with a HC, Ed Orgeron, who basically checked out after LSU's national title. (When he plays at LSU vs Brian Kelly down the road I think we will see a different result?) He also benefited from USC being dysfunctional under Clay Helton. He posted a 'phantom' 8 win season in 2021, with no wins against a team that finished with a winning record.  He never won a conference title at UCLA and he never will.

Oregon is a coach maker, but the success seldom translates to greater glory. We have seen it repeatedly where a coach has success at Oregon, and turns it into a massive contract, opportunity elsewhere, then struggles. Chip is just, maybe, the best example. If I was a coach I would give anything for an opportunity to coach at Oregon. We can only hope Coach Lanning is a coach who both sees the opportunity, and is mindful of the pitfalls of leaving such a unique situation. Is Oregon the one hit wonder of the coaching world?

One of the best lines I have EVER seen!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I lived and/or worked in west LA/ Santa Monica for 11 years, very close to Westwood. So, I have some insight to the dynamics of LA.

I hate to say it because I love the old stadium, but UCLA should really move to SoFi. Closer to campus, much easier access for students, and if they ever become a winner, a much better destination for celebrities. Not to mention more appealing to recruits. Just a better all around buzz, period.

The trade-off being that the Rose Bowl Stadium would most likely have to close its doors. Yikes. But it should probably be done. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/19/2022 at 1:53 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I lived and/or worked in west LA/ Santa Monica for 11 years, very close to Westwood. So, I have some insight to the dynamics of LA.

I hate to say it because I love the old stadium, but UCLA should really move to SoFi. Closer to campus, much easier access for students, and if they ever become a winner, a much better destination for celebrities. Not to mention more appealing to recruits. Just a better all around buzz, period.

The trade-off being that the Rose Bowl Stadium would most likely have to close its doors. Yikes. But it should probably be done. 

Darren, how much closer to Westwood is SoFi compared to the Rose Bowl? Thank you + sorry for being a geography know nothing.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

how much closer to Westwood is SoFi compared to the Rose Bowl?

How far away from SoFi Stadium is the UCLA campus?

How far is Pasadena from the UCLA campus?

• Thanks 1

What Chip does get is millions of dollars every year to inflate his record against PAC 12 patsies while living the SoCal dream  life without having to even try that hard. Smart guy.

• Thumbs Up 1