30Duck

How Chase Cota will Help the Ducks

Guest Axel

Thanks, 30Duck, for posting this well-written piece. I'm also in agreement that Chad Cota's transfer to Oregon will pay positive dividends. 

30Duck thanks for posting this.....

An experienced veteran in the receivers room should be a positive.

I think the article rings true that all the receivers should expect passes, maybe even accurate passes, coming their way in 2022. No matter the QB throwing the pill.

Not to be picky, but it is Chase.  Chad's the Dad....Mr Gangreen

This kid really knows how to get open.  He'll teach the young guys how to use their speed properly, and I suspect he will be the go to guy in clutch situations.

A very sound move by the coaching staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I disagree with just about everyone on this, as not only did he snub us in recruiting, but enjoyed it.  Now he is going to come back and take important PT from the young-guns who need on-the-field experience?

No thanks.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Cooper Kupp was slower than many in the  draft.  Speed is great but explosive cuts and knowing how to get open made him MVP of the Super Bowl!

Cota's experience will help the Receiver room.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I disagree with just about everyone on this, as not only did he snub us in recruiting, but enjoyed it.  Now he is going to come back and take important PT from the young-guns who need on-the-field experience?

No thanks.

Yeah, 

I was pretty ticked at him too at the time.  As well as the Corvallis kid (Talanoa Hufanga).  

I still welcome him because he will have a very positive impact on the program.

Besides, it's been awesome seeing kids learn the impact of snubbing Oregon ( I remember a recent highly touted DL frosh from California  that signed with tOSU last year and his Buckeyes lost in Columbus to our "lowly" Ducks- what a facial that was!)

On 2/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, Axel said:

Thanks, 30Duck, for posting this well-written piece. I'm also in agreement that Chad Cota's transfer to Oregon will pay positive dividends. 

I thought he had already played at Oregon and then for the Colts in the NFL.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No thanks.

I’m with you on this. I would’ve let Cota walk-on. That’s about it. He had his chances to prove himself at UCLA and was a below average player.

Guest Axel
On 2/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:
On 2/19/2022 at 3:52 PM, Axel said:

I thought he had already played at Oregon and then for the Colts in the NFL.

Thanks, DrJacksPlaidPants, for "Chase-ing" down my dumb mistake. 

not only did he snub us in recruiting, but enjoyed it.

I was wondering why you seemed to be so MEH about it 😄 For me, I was thinking local kid & family ties, and it never hurts to have some depth even if he ends up backing up the talented youngsters.

I probably was not paying much attention to it, but there must be some reason you say 'enjoyed it.' Social media comments I assume?

In any case, in the new free-agency era of college football, I expect that it will be a recurring theme of players who once snubbed (or were snubbed by) a school transferring over some years later. NFL light?

• Thumbs Up 1

No thanks.

I have mixed feelings, but can’t fault Coda for choosing first year UCLA coach Chip over transitioning-from-slick Mario. Those were confusing times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, Duck1984 said:

I have mixed feelings, but can’t fault Coda for choosing first year UCLA coach Chip over transitioning-from-slick Mario. Those were confusing times.

Kelly was more Oregon than Cristobal at that point certainly... I can absolutely understand the attraction Coda had for picking UCLA over Oregon. This was not a stable time in Oregon's football history. I'd probably pick Kelly over Cristobal if I was an Oregon legacy kid at that point.. I knew what Kelly could do (with just his Oregon record... leaving all his actual faults and problems aside for the moment) and Cirstobal was a new head coach at Oregon that was just a mystery.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't remember the kids name but back in 1999 there was a stud linebacker out of McNary HS in Salem.

I knew his uncle. There were a bunch of us pushing him to make sure he tried to get the kid to go to OBD. He said he and his dad were doing so but in the end it was up to him.

It came down to us or UCLA and it was close to signing day. We had gotten together for a BBQ and asked where the kid had decided to go.

The uncle said it was UCLA. We were all disappointed and asked why? He didn't hesitate and replied. It came down to the fact of sun and barely clad girls. As we were all red blooded American males, who could argue with that logic.

Now I don't have a clue what why or how a kid decides where to go to school. I'm sure there are many factors.

I guess I'm only positing that what ever the reasons I believe that u can make a mistake. Come to your senses and do what Cota has done and come back home. I can't fault him for that desicion.

Besides if DL didn't think he could improve our team he wouldn't have gotten the offer in the first place. So welcome home Mr Cota now help us win a championship.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cota had given serious thought to entering the portal last summer. He was promised more targets by Chip, and that didn’t happen. He wasn’t going to come back.

He’s a great kid and will be an asset for Oregon, whether or not he plays a lot. Nothing but a plus for him joining the Ducks.

I think Dave Marsh made an excellent point regarding Chase’s decision to go to UCLA. And though it did not turn out the way Chase expected, I doubt it would have been better had he chosen the Ducks and became stuck in their plodding unimaginative offense.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 2/20/2022 at 7:57 AM, DUCKED said:

I think Dave Marsh made an excellent point regarding Chase’s decision to go to UCLA…it did not turn out the way Chase expected.

No sun and barely clad girls?

Or Chip didn’t deliver on promises?

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2022 at 8:03 AM, Duck1984 said:

No sun and barely clad girls?

I would say only No. 2 applies……

• Haha 1

This is like trying to date the hot chick but you lose out to someone else then after she finds out she made a mistake you get to be 2nd choice. In the end you still got the hot chick but it doesn't feel the same. 

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2022 at 2:46 AM, Charles Fischer said:

No thanks.

Agree and disagree.

In terms of him snubbing the Ducks, I have no problem with that.  No kid owes Oregon anything because he grew up in the state or had family attend the school.  I grew up in the state, my brother went to Lewis & Clark, my dad went to USC, and I still chose to leave Oregon and go to Malibu to attend Pepperdine.  And one reason I didn't go to Lewis & Clark is that my brother was BMOC, so I had no desire to go there and be known as The Little Brother.  I can assume Cota might have felt the same about his dad's legacy.  Pepperdine had what I wanted, and I assume UCLA had what Cota wanted (or thought he wanted) at the time. 

In terms of him enjoying it, I have no recollection of anything like that, so I can't comment.  Would love to be filled in on details.

Now, as a fan and not a talent evaluator or anything close to it, I look at what he's done at UCLA and I'm underwhelmed.  So I'm not sure of the point of adding him to a room that's already got a lot of talent.  If the other WRs are better, I don't figure he'll take away any playing time from them, so that's not a worry (and if the coaches are playing guys who are less able to help the team, we have bigger problems than just who plays WR).

I'm just not sure what we're getting with him, but then I wasn't sure what we were going to get with "lower-level talent" like Herbert, Masoli, Mariota, or Chung (and those four certainly seemed to work out okay, maybe minus one laptop).  Maybe the coaches love his leadership, love his maturity, really feel they need depth, or see something in him that some of us as fans don't.

So I'm not excited about the addition ATM, but I'll trust the coaches and assume they know a lot more than I do (not that it's difficult).

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/20/2022 at 8:03 AM, Duck1984 said:

Well then, he was in a lose lose situation as MC didn't deliver either.  I can't blame him for the decision but wasn't aware of the snubbing.

• Like 1

Seems like Chase may have figured out Mario before anyone did. For that we can't blame him. He might also be one of the first to understand how amazing Coach Lanning's staff is. For that we may be grateful too. I like, agree with both decisions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

this is based on pedigree alone, but i bet he’s a great blocker. maybe doesn’t get all stats. 

• Like 1

I don’t mind the idea of the veteran presence, and appreciate the legacy despite some perhaps regrettable goings on during his high school recruitment.  I do take issue with the article taking this as a given: “he can help open up the offense and draw defenders to him, it will give the other players more room to work”.

Seems like a reach.

883 yards and 6 TDs in 4 years isn’t scaring any DC or CB.  2021 only had 18 catches for 286 yards and 1 TD.  

He was the best WR left in the portal with 3+ years experience especially in the PAC.  We offered several other portal WR but they chose to go elsewhere.

There are many factors why a player may not be able to be the "one" at any particular school and a chance with a different coach is all they need.

Again if he doesn't have the talent to beat out the players we currently have he will still be a help with the depth of the WR room.

More importantly help our very inexperienced but very talented WRs with his experience.

Edited by Duck 1972
Didn't finish accidentally posted.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, AllOregon said:

883 yards and 6 TDs in 4 years isn’t scaring any DC or CB.  2021 only had 18 catches for 286 yards and 1 TD.  

Totally agree, especially with DTR as QB and Chip as coach.  That's my first reaction to the news as well.   Will see...

I hope it works out for both parties and is not a waste of a scholarship for Oregon...since they are so few.

Mr. FishDuck